The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 31, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #8,911 of 89,165
I'm glad you enjoyed it. For me, it just felt really unfocused. There were just so many elements and time periods and settings to that film that it felt like it could've worked infinitely better as an 8-to-10 episode TV series. I could picture each era they briefly flashback to as a whole (or half) episode. The abrupt change in tone as they cut to Kingo's introduction (the Bollywood sequence) is an example of a perfect place where a new episode would've begun. The Deviant villain had barely any time or space to develop, nor did Sprite's longing to be human, nor did Thena's sickness. They were such small parts of the movie that, by the climax, they ended up feeling like mere handicaps to stop the Eternals from winning as easily. Heck, they had so many characters to deal with by the end, that Kingo literally leaves for the third-act. :D

I also had small annoyances like the shot where Phastos was building the Uni-Mind, and the shot was backlit, so you couldn't see the glow the Uni-Mind was emanating, making the frame look flat. The score was also unmemorable for large parts of the films, especially in the action scenes.

So, despite Chloe Zhao's best efforts to dress the film with atmosphere and weight, it was ultimately a script that I felt bit way more than it could chew, which failed to make all its parts seem crucial and/or rich to me. I did love a lot of the cinematography and design. I especially love how they almost always shot the Celestials in an upward angle to emphasise their size, and I love the harsh lighting they used any time they were in space, which would be scientifically accurate. Lauren Ridloff was also a clear standout as Makkari, and I think a lot of her action beats were some of the best we've seen from a speedster in a while. Ultimately, though, I think bringing it to Disney+ would've been the better move. But, now that we have the weight of their origin story out of the way, we'll see how they move on from here.

P.S. 'Agree with you on No Way Home. 'One of those films where even its writers have agreed that the story logic (or conceit) barely holds together, but, man, was it worth it for all the emotion and thrills it brought to the screen. :)
Without spoiling anything, some of the shots in No Way Home are among the most iconic I've seen in any superhero film past or present. And the sheer amount of (justified) fan service in that movie was so, so satisfying.

Fully agree that Eternals would have made a better TV show. Way too much crammed in to the runtime, and too much skipped over to keep the story moving along.

Dec 31, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #8,912 of 89,165
And so the last delivery of 2021 lands! Looking forward to testing. Gryphon stuck somewhere in transit...

20211231_094334.jpg

Dec 31, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #8,913 of 89,165
@jwilliamhurst beat me to the punch a few pages ago with his outstanding collection of Best Albums of 2021. I'd have rec'ed most of them myself!

So instead, I went back through each of my 12 "NewStuffXXX21" playlist collections of new stuff I found each month, and picked out 2 tracks from each. Otherwise I could go on for pages and pages, 2021 was really outstanding for alternative music...

January
The Besnard lakes - Raindrops
Tash Sultana - Sweet & Dandy

February
Ice Age - Vendetta
Miss Grit - Impostor

March
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - K.G.L.W.
IAN SWEET - Show Me How You Disappear

April
Skullcrusher - Storm In Summer
Spirit Of The Beehive - The Server Is Immersed

May
Mdou Moctar - Afrique Victime
Mach Hommy - Ten Boxes-Sin Eater

June
Lightning Bug - The Right Thing Is Hard To Do
Porridge Radio - Happy In A Crowd

July
Deerhoof - Department of Corrections
Clinic - Fantasy Island

August
Low - Disappearing
Ty Seagall - Harmonizer

September
Big Thief - Certainty
Sharon Van Etten - Femme Fatale

October
Chaka Khan - Like Sugar
Parquet Courts - Plant Life

November
Sinead Obrien - GIRLKIND
Animal Collective - Prester John

December
Girlpool - Faultline
Tame Impala - No Choice

Dec 31, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #8,914 of 89,165
Just watched Don't Look Up tonight. Might be one of the best if not unexpectedly the best movie of 2021 for me. Incredibly hilarious, depressing, relevant, and true at the same time. Tons of star power and great acting to boot. Highly recommend and a great movie to cap off the year! 👍

Swan Song another great movie if you're a Sci-Fi nut. Mahershala Ali is talented AF. Green Book is another great movie of his.

I loved Spider-Man: Endgame as well. So nostalgic. Eternals had amazing visuals. Super stoked for what the MCU has in store for the future.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #8,915 of 89,165
@jwilliamhurst beat me to the punch a few pages ago with his outstanding collection of Best Albums of 2021. I'd have rec'ed most of them myself!

So instead, I went back through each of my 12 "NewStuffXXX21" playlist collections of new stuff I found each month, and picked out 2 tracks from each. Otherwise I could go on for pages and pages, 2021 was really outstanding for alternative music...

January

February
Ice Age - Vendetta
Miss Grit - Impostor

March

April

May

June

July
Clinic - Fantasy Island

August
Low - Disappearing
Ty Seagall - Harmonizer

September
Big Thief - Certainty

October
Chaka Khan - Like Sugar

November
Sinead Obrien - GIRLKIND

December
Girlpool - Faultline
Tame Impala - No Choice
❤️ 💕 Thank you for the wonderful list! I know what I’m going to be doing tomorrow 🤩

Dec 31, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #8,916 of 89,165
I watched The Green Knight last week and it was one of the best films I have seen in a while. Filmography is awesome and the score fits in beautifully
The silent scene in the forest accompanied with its natural sound as well, adds to the allure of the movie. I also like the rhythm of the story progression. It's a beautiful film indeed
In other news man oh man am I impressed with Zen Pro's bass. It doesn't jump out at you at first-- and you might initially be tempted to think of the Zen Pro as bass-lite...which it isn't at all. It's super tactile & well defined-- and the extension is deceptively good. When the bass hits it seems to reach up from the stygian depths-- it's a bit like the Odin this way and I think the "one inch punch" analogy would apply here too.
8393j.jpg
I tried the Zen Pro the other day, and couldn't agree with you more about its bass. Definitely not bass-lite, and its extension was quite deep as well. It exhibits a characteristic DD impact and power, with good natural decay that is of high caliber. I really like its bass, however I don't think they are very suitable for my vocal-centric playlist as I feel the notes became a bit too dense and heavy in the mids. Supposedly airy breathy notes became slightly on the solid side (but smooth, and not rough on the edges). Treble are also executed quite well, and not as piercing as the OG Zen. Technically superb though, and possesses an exceptionally high resolution for a DD. I think the Zen Pro offers itself as a good alternative sound tuning-wise, and at a similar price bracket to the FD7. Looks sexy too in that metallic silver
Eternals aside, though, I'd say it's been an absolutely killer year for Marvel.
Have you watched 'What if' Episode 4 by any chance? Although it's in animated form, I really like its story about Dr. Strange and time manipulation. It may also give a glimpse as to how the new movie may unravel its story
I felt it wasn't as strong or viscerally-effective a film as Hereditary. Now that stuck with me for weeks. Or, speaking of Eggers, The VVitch is a horror film I would've put there as well. The score... dear Lord. I've never seen dissonance used to that effect before. :D But, yeah, I'm super excited for The Northman. The trailer looks superb.
Watched it once, not again. It's so chilling, and gut-wrenching stuff. An effective horror movie indeed. Filled more than my cup of tea

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #8,917 of 89,165
To be honest, Midsommar for me had great moments. Obviously, the opening and the wailing scene are huge standouts. But, as a whole, I felt it wasn't as strong or viscerally-effective a film as Hereditary. Now that stuck with me for weeks.

Hereditary is my favourite of the two. I think it's probably the most effective horror in years/decades and I'm really looking forward to whatever Ari Aster treats us to next. I'll never forget watching Midsommar in the cinema and the 'voyeuristic' scene where the commune elders are watching and providing supporting 'sound effects'...so much poorly contained laughter from the crowd for that!

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #8,918 of 89,165
I am too new to this, there are not ten IEMs I actually liked, of the ones I listened to.
The ones in my signature are the ones I liked and bought plus the Durado which I did not as of yet have a lot of time listening to. I have heard 15 others that did not move me.

1-Traillii
2-Mason FS
3-Thummim
4-Isabellae
5-Elysium
6-U12T
7-Mest
8-Durado (not sure where it would fall in my limited ranking)

1-2 are my daily drivers with the P6Pro
3, 7, and probably 8 my C9 morning partners.
4-5 my night time companions

I have a lot of hope in the Phonix being one that I will like a lot, and the Indigo has potential.
Okay now I am guilty of talking to myself.

I should have prefaced my list better after a text from @jwilliamhurst this morning he was curious why U12T was below Elysium and Isabellae.
Yep, good question (and no way it is) the way I ranked this list was by use which also explains why Isabellae is above Elysium.

I do like technical capabilities and appreciate them, in the end with the choice of what to listen to those capabilities are not foremost for me.

Dec 31, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #8,919 of 89,165
The silent scene in the forest accompanied with its natural sound as well, adds to the allure of the movie. I also like the rhythm of the story progression. It's a beautiful film indeed

8393j.jpg
I tried the Zen Pro the other day, and couldn't agree with you more about its bass. Definitely not bass-lite, and its extension was quite deep as well. It exhibits a characteristic DD impact and power, with good natural decay that is of high caliber. I really like its bass, however I don't think they are very suitable for my vocal-centric playlist as I feel the notes became a bit too dense and heavy in the mids. Supposedly airy breathy notes became slightly on the solid side (but smooth, and not rough on the edges). Treble are also executed quite well, and not as piercing as the OG Zen. Technically superb though, and possesses an exceptionally high resolution for a DD. I think the Zen Pro offers itself as a good alternative sound tuning-wise, and at a similar price bracket to the FD7. Looks sexy too in that metallic silver

Have you watched 'What if' Episode 4 by any chance? Although it's in animated form, I really like its story about Dr. Strange and time manipulation. It may also give a glimpse as to how the new movie may unravel its story

Watched it once, not again. It's so chilling, and gut-wrenching stuff. An effective horror movie indeed. Filled more than my cup of tea
Yeah, I've seen the whole first season of What If?, and they're definitely taking elements from it, even if to make people who haven't seen What If? go back and watch it. Even the Marvel logo in the trailer has the same shattered-glass motif. A few of my friends skipped it 'cus they thought it wouldn't be important, and I still tease them that they have to go back and binge through it now. :D

I thought the series was okay. It didn't take as many (or as big of) swings as I thought it would. I think they played it rather safe. And, I also felt a lot of the dialogue felt very dumbed-down and streamlined. Part of it was because they had to squeeze a 2-hour-film's worth of story arc into 30-minute episodes (like the Captain Carter episode), but I felt they also did it to appease a younger audience; kids, basically. It felt very jarring hearing actors from the PG-13 Marvel films suddenly speak like they're in a Disney XD show. But, all in all, it was an okay distraction after Loki. Episode 4 is my favourite of the bunch. The other one would be the Party Thor one, which is basically an episode of Phineas and Ferb with Marvel characters. Hopefully, they get more adventurous with the second season, and they sharpen up the writing.

By the way, speaking of Loki, Natalie Holt's score for it is absolutely superb. The theremin became my favourite instrument for a solid month there.

Dec 31, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #8,920 of 89,165
And so the last delivery of 2021 lands! Looking forward to testing. Gryphon stuck somewhere in transit...

Don't leave us waiting at the 'cooler too long! Glad to see they arrived safe and sound. Enjoy :)

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #8,922 of 89,165
I loved Spider-Man: Endgame as well. So nostalgic. Eternals had amazing visuals. Super stoked for what the MCU has in store for the future.
Ahh... Which Earth you're from? Earth 420?

Dec 31, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #8,923 of 89,165
Don't leave us waiting at the 'cooler too long! Glad to see they arrived safe and sound. Enjoy :)

Thank you! I literally opened the box, listened for about 5 minutes but we were then out for a family walk... just home and I'll be getting stuck in shortly.

They are at the burn-in station beside ZEN PRO and Timeless 🤪

Dec 31, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #8,924 of 89,165
Popping in to share this track. Sounds pretty awesome from the Zen Pro + RU6.

Fantastic album, first time I've seen Susumu mentioned on Head-Fi. My top 3 from him are Sakura, The Boy and the Tree, and Grinning Cat. Oh and his early work Acid Mt Fuji. Brilliant artist.

Dec 31, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #8,925 of 89,165
Whatever I don't do or say today will have to wait until next year...happy last day of 2021 all...let's see if we can break 600 by the new year. Missed you yesterday @drftr ...hope you haven't disappeared on us.

Without spoiling anything, some of the shots in No Way Home are among the most iconic I've seen in any superhero film past or present. And the sheer amount of (justified) fan service in that movie was so, so satisfying.

Fully agree that Eternals would have made a better TV show. Way too much crammed in to the runtime, and too much skipped over to keep the story moving along.

I can't wait to see both of those...they should be on apple TV before too long.

Ha...nice. If my Monarch cable arrives it will be my final delivery of 2021...I doubt it though. Definitely curious about this one...eagerly awaiting impressions :)

January

February
Ice Age - Vendetta
Miss Grit - Impostor

March

April

May

June

July
Clinic - Fantasy Island

August
Low - Disappearing
Ty Seagall - Harmonizer

September
Big Thief - Certainty

October
Chaka Khan - Like Sugar

November
Sinead Obrien - GIRLKIND

December
Girlpool - Faultline
Tame Impala - No Choice

Nice between this and @jwilliamhurst's list I'll have a lot of new music to check out heading into the new year.

8393j.jpg

Great impressions man thanks for sharing...I've been curious to hear your thoughts on what has emerged as my favorite IEM of 2021. My music isn't as vocal centric as yours but I would agree something like Isa would be a better choice there...still as an all-rounder that combines everything I love about DDs, a neutral and highly technical sound, with a perfect touch of warmth the Zen Pro has claimed the throne as something of a perfect all-rounder for me. It may very well take me out of the hobby-- or at least the chase-- for a while.

Filled more than my cup of tea

Heh heh

Okay now I am guilty of talking to myself.

I should have prefaced my list better after a text from @jwilliamhurst this morning he was curious why U12T was below Elysium and Isabellae.

The latter two have better mids :D (YMMV etc. etc.)

Popping in to share this track. Sounds pretty awesome from the Zen Pro + RU6.

Nice...Zen Pro + RU6 is a killer combo. Really looking for more R2R goodness-- hopefully in the form of an affordable and compact DAP-- in the new year.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back