The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 30, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #8,881 of 87,791
An IEM list - a tough one but...
  1. Traillii - for the absolute reliability of an amazing listening session, I'm blown away every time I set aside time to appreciate these beauties
  2. IE900 - the incredible bass and captivating treble, amazing with my electronic music library and the IEM that sold me on single DDs*
  3. ZEN PRO - for being a reliable all-rounder, one I will be happy to reach for in any situation, with any choice of music (not withstanding some harshness on R01)
  4. Dark Sky - incredible timbre and stage, again an all-rounder but works wonders with jazz, female vocals, acoustics and instrumental music
  5. IER-M9 (this was almost on the chopping block recently) - needs focus but I've had many incredible listening sessions with M9
  6. Isa - wonderful for ambient music and overall relaxing listen
I'm finding even with my brief time with Timeless, that it is indeed very special - not sure yet where it will fit in the list but I think likely to become another ambient go-to, it has a very alluring and smooth tuning that works very well with ambient.

Special mention to Chaconne, my absolute daily bud - the only earphone in my collection that is pretty much guaranteed to get plugged in at some point in the day, often last at night and first in the morning.

*DDs - I love them and have had great fun exploring in 2021 but I'm getting itchy feet and the desire to do a u-turn and check out hybrids again! Didn't think I'd say this so soon. I'd like something with great mids, excellent bass and strong technicalities - something that leans more engaging than analytical. Oh and something that will knock my socks off when it comes to techno, house, trance etc. I suspect maybe EXT, Aroma Thunder or Z1R. But there we have it - my 2022 resolution in IEMs! The DD hunt is over, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 30, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #8,882 of 87,791
Sights on 2022 for me:
  • More R2R
  • More buds
  • Planar and/or new bone conduction IEM
_DSC3002.jpg

EarbudCustomArt / INKLINE - King Lion

Dec 30, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #8,883 of 87,791
Write-ups are, well, up :p Enjoy the read. (I'll soon publish the "reviews" here as well.)
Great write up! The one word I keyed on referring to the U6t is "Effortless" Nothing jumps out at you, nothing distracts you, it just presents your music with so little effort, all that's left is the music itself for you to focus on and think about. And again, because of this, I can use them for very long periods with zero fatigue or comfort issues.

Dec 30, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #8,884 of 87,791
Gee it took awhile to get through all the movie posts, but I can't help but think of this line from The Big Lebowski, sums up HeadFi and this thread pretty well!!

Dec 30, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #8,885 of 87,791
Dec 30, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #8,886 of 87,791
Since it's officially the last day of 2021 here, it's fitting that I end the year with a snapshot of what I consider to be the culmination of this part of my journey. That the final pieces literally fit inside the Miter case like a puzzle is either pure coincidence or divine intervention, but either way, it's the end of the road for me, for now.

PSX_20211231_004613.jpg

** I'll be back to take off the covers and publish my Top 20 ranking in the New Year. Wishing everyone a safe and festive New Year's eve, and see you on the other side...

Dec 30, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #8,887 of 87,791
Since it's officially the last day of 2021 here, it's fitting that I end the year with a snapshot of what I consider to be the culmination of this part of my journey. That the final pieces literally fit inside the Miter case like a puzzle is either pure coincidence or divine intervention, but either way, it's the end of the road for me, for now.

PSX_20211231_004613.jpg

** I'll be back to take off the covers and publish my Top 20 ranking in the New Year. Wishing everyone a safe and festive New Year's eve, and see you on the other side...
Is that second IEM a Z1R? We know the first one is IE900.

Dec 30, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #8,890 of 87,791
It does have the texture of the Z1R cable from the looks of it.
Yes, the cable looks right. The IEM shell is steel, but it has a weird sharp angle on it.

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #8,891 of 87,791
Whatever new BA driver they’re using for the highs in the Phonix is flat out amazing. I’ve heard some damn good treble IEMs too but this one I think takes the cake, even over the Elysian ESTs. It has speed, smoothness, detail, weight, texture, extension, fantastic timbre, natural presentation. I can’t get enough of the highs. It’s like the love triangle child of the Tia drivers, Traillii timbre, and Elysian EST qualities.

Oh man 🤤.

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #8,895 of 87,791
I've yet to see The Lighthouse, by the way, which I'm itching to do.
If you enjoy reading Moby Dick, you're going to love it! It's b/w and claustrophobic square screen further enhances the feeling of being isolated in a lighthouse

Also, heads up as Robert Eggers is coming up with a new movie 'The Northman' next year :) I'm excited to see that one too

Great list by the way! I'm surprised 'Parasite' and 'Midsommar' didn't get mentioned. Like the 'Grand Budapest Hotel' the camerawork on 'Parasite' is excellent, Stunningly precise yet playful at the same time

Will need to rewatch 'The Nice Guys' as they're so comical. The toilet and fracture scene especially lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back