The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 30, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #8,896 of 87,783
If you enjoy reading Moby Dick, you're going to love it! It's b/w and claustrophobic square screen further enhances the feeling of being isolated in a lighthouse

Also, heads up as Robert Eggers is coming up with a new movie 'The Northman' next year :) I'm excited to see that one too

Great list by the way! I'm surprised 'Parasite' and 'Midsommar' didn't get mentioned. Like the 'Grand Budapest Hotel' the camerawork on 'Parasite' is excellent, Stunningly precise yet playful at the same time

Will need to rewatch 'The Nice Guys' as they're so comical. The toilet and hammer scene especially lol
Yes! How could I forget about parasite and midsommar! Both stuck with me for many weeks!! Thanks for mentioning them!!

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #8,897 of 87,783
Hah, hopefully they doesn’t come off shilly. It’s very impressive though. Maybe some more Phonix users can elaborate or agree/disagree.
Agreed. :wink:

If you enjoy reading Moby Dick, you're going to love it! It's b/w and claustrophobic square screen further enhances the feeling of being isolated in a lighthouse

Also, heads up as Robert Eggers is coming up with a new movie 'The Northman' next year :) I'm excited to see that one too

Great list by the way! I'm surprised 'Parasite' and 'Midsommar' didn't get mentioned. Like the 'Grand Budapest Hotel' the camerawork on 'Parasite' is excellent, Stunningly precise yet playful at the same time

Will need to rewatch 'The Nice Guys' as they're so comical. The toilet and hammer scene especially lol
Yeah, I gave a nod to Parasite on my Oldboy description, so, for some reason, I felt like that justified not giving it its own bullet point. At the same time, though - ask anyone I know - it was definitely my favourite film of 2019. So, touché on including it on the list. :wink: To be honest, Midsommar for me had great moments. Obviously, the opening and the wailing scene are huge standouts. But, as a whole, I felt it wasn't as strong or viscerally-effective a film as Hereditary. Now that stuck with me for weeks. Or, speaking of Eggers, The VVitch is a horror film I would've put there as well. The score... dear Lord. I've never seen dissonance used to that effect before. :D But, yeah, I'm super excited for The Northman. The trailer looks superb.

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #8,898 of 87,783
Yes! How could I forget about parasite and midsommar! Both stuck with me for many weeks!! Thanks for mentioning them!!
Also one of my recent favourite (not only because I love green) 'The Green Knight'. Full of symbolism and contemplating wonders. Highly recommend that one too! :)

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #8,899 of 87,783

Yeah, I gave a nod to Parasite on my Oldboy description, so, for some reason, I felt like that justified not giving it its own bullet point. At the same time, though - ask anyone I know - it was definitely my favourite film of 2019. So, touché on including it on the list. :wink: To be honest, Midsommar for me had great moments. Obviously, the opening and the wailing scene are huge standouts. But, as a whole, I felt it wasn't as strong or viscerally-effective a film as Hereditary. Now that stuck with me for weeks. Or, speaking of Eggers, The VVitch is a horror film I would've put there as well. The score... dear Lord. I've never seen dissonance used to that effect before. :D But, yeah, I'm super excited for The Northman. The trailer looks superb.
Damn! Ahh too many good ones that resonate with me. Hereditary and the VVitch both. I was just talking about both of these with my dad the other day.

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #8,900 of 87,783
Also one of my recent favourite (not only because I love green) 'The Green Knight'. Full of symbolism and contemplating wonders. Highly recommend that one too! :)
I don’t think I have seen this one!! I will check it out 💯 thanks a million!

Dec 30, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #8,901 of 87,783
Haha! No joke, as soon as I wrote about The Northman trailer looking fantastic, I immediately thought of The Green Knight; another folk-inspired film with ridiculous visuals. I didn't mention it because I've honestly only seen the trailers at this point, and I didn't want to recommend a movie just because it seemed great. But, I'm glad to hear that it actually is, and I'll try my best to hunt it down. As you probably know just as well as me, we don't get that many non-mainstream films here in Indonesia. :D I'm still baffled how we managed to get Her back in 2013.

Dec 30, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #8,902 of 87,783

The lighthouse is so good, hope you enjoy it!!

Dec 31, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #8,903 of 87,783
Haha! No joke, as soon as I wrote about The Northman trailer looking fantastic, I immediately thought of The Green Knight; another folk-inspired film with ridiculous visuals. I didn't mention it because I've honestly only seen the trailers at this point, and I didn't want to recommend a movie just because it seemed great. But, I'm glad to hear that it actually is, and I'll try my best to hunt it down. As you probably know just as well as me, we don't get that many non-mainstream films here in Indonesia. :D I'm still baffled how we managed to get Her back in 2013.
I watched The Green Knight last week and it was one of the best films I have seen in a while. Filmography is awesome and the score fits in beautifully

Dec 31, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #8,904 of 87,783
They look great, but that price is a big big oof. As other have said I definitely get the idea that noble is definitely about making statement/jewelry pieces first and foremost. Nothing wrong with that, but theres certainly a large premium in price for that making pretty much all their higher end IEMs way out of my price range.

Noble is turning into the new Obravo.

Since it's officially the last day of 2021 here, it's fitting that I end the year with a snapshot of what I consider to be the culmination of this part of my journey. That the final pieces literally fit inside the Miter case like a puzzle is either pure coincidence or divine intervention, but either way, it's the end of the road for me, for now.

PSX_20211231_004613.jpg

** I'll be back to take off the covers and publish my Top 20 ranking in the New Year. Wishing everyone a safe and festive New Year's eve, and see you on the other side...

That's an epic case-- I need to get ahold of something like that for all my gear.

I found LX on a clear tier above Nio in terms of technicalities. Both have highly elevated bass, but you get more staging, staging, and detail from LX. Big reason why I sold Nio fast.

LG was a step above Nio in many ways to me-- particularly the mids. LX has great mids, Nio's mids felt like a 2-d image on top of a 3-d blob of bass.

Will need to rewatch 'The Nice Guys' as they're so comical. The toilet and fracture scene especially lol

I forgot about Parasite-- what a great movie. I actually preferred Okja by the same director-- touching and beautiful film. Another new movie that I haven't seen mentioned yet is Knives Out-- it was a perfectly executed and highly entertaining whodunnint...with some great music to boot.

In other news man oh man am I impressed with Zen Pro's bass. It doesn't jump out at you at first-- and you might initially be tempted to think of the Zen Pro as bass-lite...which it isn't at all. It's super tactile & well defined-- and the extension is deceptively good. When the bass hits it seems to reach up from the stygian depths-- it's a bit like the Odin this way and I think the "one inch punch" analogy would apply here too.

Dec 31, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #8,905 of 87,783
Noble is turning into the new Obravo.

That's an epic case-- I need to get ahold of something like that for all my gear.

LG was a step above Nio in many ways to me-- particularly the mids. LX has great mids, Nio's mids felt like a 2-d image on top of a 3-d blob of bass.

I forgot about Parasite-- what a great movie. I actually preferred Okja by the same director-- touching and beautiful film. Another new movie that I haven't seen mentioned yet is Knives Out-- it was a perfectly executed and highly entertaining whodunnint...with some great music to boot.

In other news man oh man am I impressed with Zen Pro's bass. It doesn't jump out at you at first-- and you might initially be tempted to think of the Zen Pro as bass-lite...which it isn't at all. It's super tactile & well defined-- and the extension is deceptively good. When the bass hits it seems to reach up from the stygian depths-- it's a bit like the Odin this way and I think the "one inch punch" analogy would apply here too.
I absolutely loved Knives Out. The theatre I saw it at, for some reason, had a bad video file or media player, and they had to rewind the film after each error, which ended up being quite a few. Eventually, they gave up and gave us all refunds, but my friends and I were so intrigued by the mystery that we immediately flocked to the next showing at the nearest cinema. I found it hilarious that Daniel Craig had the same accent he did in Soderbergh's Logan Lucky, but posh this time. :D And, for all the flack he got for The Last Jedi, Rian Johnson sure knows how to make an airtight whodunnit. The whole cast was ridiculously stacked too. Speaking of Hereditary, I found it so jarring, yet funny to see Toni Collette go from tragic, grieving, harrowed mother in that film to an LA influencer in this one. 'Just goes to show her range. JLC and Michael Shannon would've stolen the film for me, if it wasn't for Daniel Craig and Ana de Armas's incredible central performances. And, yeah, the little details there to be picked up after every showing makes it endlessly rewatchable. The cast for the sequel looks just as good, and I can't wait 'til it comes out.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #8,906 of 87,783
And, for all the flack he got for The Last Jedi, Rian Johnson sure knows how to make an airtight whodunnit.

Yeah lol when I walked out of the theatre the first thing I thought to myself was that he's actually a genius who should just never have been let anywhere near a SW film.

In other news, IEM highlights of 2021:

A9944DB3-BE45-40DD-9148-16081C042CEC.JPEG

Also, I chanced upon a lovely view at Strathcona Park today:

AB3F0F24-C5B5-4A4F-88C0-E5EAEB73F55D.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #8,907 of 87,783
Yeah lol when I walked out of the theatre the first thing I thought to myself was that he's actually a genius who should just never have been let anywhere near a SW film.

In other news, IEM highlights of 2021:

A9944DB3-BE45-40DD-9148-16081C042CEC.JPEG

Also, I chanced upon a lovely view at Strathcona Park today:

AB3F0F24-C5B5-4A4F-88C0-E5EAEB73F55D.jpeg
Yeah, I felt the exact same when I saw Chloe Zhao's Eternals as well. I haven't seen The Rider or Nomadland yet. Again, Indonesia's stingy when it comes to those films, and I often have to catch them on plane rides (of all places) to and from Singapore, which obviously hasn't been possible. But, from all the good I've heard about them, it's clear to me that you can't just pluck out these indie prodigies and stuff them into the Disney machine. Some people just aren't built for it, and, conversely, I can hardly see a JJ Abrams or a Zack Snyder knocking a deep, rich, character-driven drama out of the park either. As always, it's gotta be the right person for the right job. Eternals aside, though, I'd say it's been an absolutely killer year for Marvel. I liked-to-loved all the Disney+ shows, and Shang-Chi and No Way Home were both outstanding. I'm anxiously awaiting Raimi's Dr. Strange 2 next year. The visuals on the teaser look practically-done and creepy already.

Awesome views, by the way; both of them. :wink:

Dec 31, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #8,908 of 87,783
Yeah, I felt the exact same when I saw Chloe Zhao's Eternals as well. I haven't seen The Rider or Nomadland yet. Again, Indonesia's stingy when it comes to those films, and I often have to catch them on plane rides (of all places) to and from Singapore, which obviously hasn't been possible. But, from all the good I've heard about them, it's clear to me that you can't just pluck out these indie prodigies and stuff them into the Disney machine. Some people just aren't built for it, and, conversely, I can hardly see a JJ Abrams or a Zack Snyder knocking a deep, rich, character-driven drama out of the park either. As always, it's gotta be the right person for the right job. Eternals aside, though, I'd say it's been an absolutely killer year for Marvel. I liked-to-loved all the Disney+ shows, and Shang-Chi and No Way Home were both outstanding. I'm anxiously awaiting Raimi's Dr. Strange 2 next year. The visuals on the teaser look practically-done and creepy already.

Awesome views, by the way; both of them. :wink:
Self-confessed MCU, Star Wars and DC nut here. I saw Eternals a few days ago. Actually quite enjoyed it as a non-traditiinal Marvel film, with serious star power. Some weak parts and obligatory woke themes, but otherwise really entertaining and potentially integral to the next MCU phase. No Way Home knocked it out the park for me though. I thought it was the best follow on from Endgame to date.

Dec 31, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #8,909 of 87,783
Midsommar - appreciate its cinematography but I can't handle movies like that anymore, too disturbing for me! I refuse now to watch any horror that has a bearing in reality - fantasy stuff is fine, as noted in my list, Pans Labyrinth one of my favourites. I haven't really watched horror since Wolf Creek a number of years ago, that tipped me over the edge. I think it's since having kids, I hate being exposed to the twisted nature that unfortunately exists in our world.

Dec 31, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #8,910 of 87,783
Self-confessed MCU, Star Wars and DC nut here. I saw Eternals a few days ago. Actually quite enjoyed it as a non-traditiinal Marvel film, with serious star power. Some weak parts and obligatory woke themes, but otherwise really entertaining and potentially integral to the next MCU phase. No Way Home knocked it out the park for me though. I thought it was the best follow on from Endgame to date.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. For me, it just felt really unfocused. There were just so many elements and time periods and settings to that film that it felt like it could've worked infinitely better as an 8-to-10 episode TV series. I could picture each era they briefly flashback to as a whole (or half) episode. The abrupt change in tone as they cut to Kingo's introduction (the Bollywood sequence) is an example of a perfect place where a new episode would've begun. The Deviant villain had barely any time or space to develop, nor did Sprite's longing to be human, nor did Thena's sickness. They were such small parts of the movie that, by the climax, they ended up feeling like mere handicaps to stop the Eternals from winning as easily. Heck, they had so many characters to deal with by the end, that Kingo literally leaves for the third-act. :D

I also had small annoyances like the shot where Phastos was building the Uni-Mind, and the shot was backlit, so you couldn't see the glow the Uni-Mind was emanating, making the frame look flat. The score was also unmemorable for large parts of the films, especially in the action scenes.

So, despite Chloe Zhao's best efforts to dress the film with atmosphere and weight, it was ultimately a script that I felt bit way more than it could chew, which failed to make all its parts seem crucial and/or rich to me. I did love a lot of the cinematography and design. I especially love how they almost always shot the Celestials in an upward angle to emphasise their size, and I love the harsh lighting they used any time they were in space, which would be scientifically accurate. Lauren Ridloff was also a clear standout as Makkari, and I think a lot of her action beats were some of the best we've seen from a speedster in a while. Ultimately, though, I think bringing it to Disney+ would've been the better move. But, now that we have the weight of their origin story out of the way, we'll see how they move on from here.

P.S. 'Agree with you on No Way Home. 'One of those films where even its writers have agreed that the story logic (or conceit) barely holds together, but, man, was it worth it for all the emotion and thrills it brought to the screen. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back