The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 24, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #87,526 of 88,307
Good thing it doesn't need EQ for those who love it!
Also "super thin and sibilant" treble? Really? This sounds a little extreme to me, but hey, you heard what you heard.
I can only convey what my own ears hear and the treble SUCKS! I hate it. I don't know why they tuned it that way. It's an enigma.

Apr 24, 2024 at 10:45 PM Post #87,527 of 88,307
The cable does not look like a $7,299 one, if you asked me to guess just by the look, I would not guess anything more than 10% of the real price.

Unfortunately I agree, even though looks are subjective when it comes to this sort of thing IMO it doesn't look it's part but I'm sure it sounds great, hope more people can hear it. I won't be buying it, opportunity cost of what else I could have got for that price.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #87,528 of 88,307
I like the bass on the Bonneville even if it's somewhat bloated and bleeds into the mids. The mids need to be more forward for my liking. The treble is super thin and sibilant though and that's what really ruins it for me. I can eq it down to be more bearable but a $1400 product shouldn't NEED eq to sound good.
Interesting people say BA's can sound just like DD's yet trifecta which is all DD's sounds completely unique. Speaks for itself.

Apr 24, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #87,529 of 88,307
I can only convey what my own ears hear and the treble SUCKS! I hate it. I don't know why they tuned it that way. It's an enigma.
Tbh, that IEM makes no impressions on me after auditioning besides (1) it’s very well built and (2) it reminds me of a gum with a metal piece stuck on it.

Did you wear it deep enough? Any leakage? That IEM was slightly tricky for me, though not impossible.

@Ike1985 well that’s not fair comparison, you need to find a full BA set tuned just like the bass shelf of trifecta to compare, which, I don’t think any newer company from the east (who do BA sets) thinks that it is a good tuning to pursue. Market force or sensible taste? Who knows.

We shouldn’t discount the fact that DD bass might actually be wrong, but because we have listened to DD for most of our lives, the wrong becomes the right.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 11:00 PM Post #87,530 of 88,307
Tbh, that IEM makes no impressions on me after auditioning besides (1) it’s very well built and (2) it reminds me of a gum with a metal piece stuck on it.

Did you wear it deep enough? Any leakage? That IEM was slightly tricky for me, though not impossible.

@Ike1985 well that’s not fair comparison, you need to find a full BA set tuned just like the bass shelf of trifecta to compare, which, I don’t think any newer company from the east (who do BA sets) thinks that it is a good tuning to pursue. Market force or sensible taste? Who knows.

We shouldn’t discount the fact that DD bass might actually be wrong, but because we have listened to DD for most of our lives, the wrong becomes the right.
Thanks a lot. Now I cannot unsee it.

1714013993653.png

Apr 24, 2024 at 11:00 PM Post #87,531 of 88,307
Sorry to hear this. I find it a pretty balanced set. I would be curious what treble you do like, of your large collection.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 11:07 PM Post #87,532 of 88,307

I would guess thats unlikely as BAs were invented for hearing aids and the technology behind dynamic drivers wasn't.

Apr 24, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #87,533 of 88,307
I would guess thats unlikely as BAs were invented for hearing aids and the technology behind dynamic drivers wasn't.
I’m citing the Abyss folks when they talk about DD vs Planar.

Apr 24, 2024 at 11:16 PM Post #87,535 of 88,307

Many of us are less concerned with what is "right" and more concerned with what sounds "good".

This excellent seminar from SoCal 2023 does a really good job of breaking down the different types of preferences in the audio community in particular between "purists" who are (among other things) more concerned with correctness and accuracy and "subjectivists" who are (among other things) more concerned with having an emotional experience. There is more than one way to skin a cat in this hobby and many valid ways to enjoy sound.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 11:16 PM Post #87,536 of 88,307
I like the bass on the Bonneville even if it's somewhat bloated and bleeds into the mids. The mids need to be more forward for my liking. The treble is super thin and sibilant though and that's what really ruins it for me. I can eq it down to be more bearable but a $1400 product shouldn't NEED eq to sound good.
Bonneville is the first CFA IEM I demoed, and I love the sound signature instantly. I am still debating which will be my next purchase and Bonneville is very high on the list. One thing I like about Bonneville is the non-offensive treble. The bass is more mid-bass focused but that is what uniquely appealing to me as most of the IEMs focused on sub-bass, for the sake of not bleeding into Mids.

Apr 24, 2024 at 11:17 PM Post #87,537 of 88,307

Actually the fit is one area that I really like. Using my favorite Penon Liqueur tips it's really easy to get a good and comfortable seal. The passive isolation is nice too on the Bonneville.
Sorry to hear this. I find it a pretty balanced set. I would be curious what treble you do like, of your large collection.
Trebles I like: Volume, Magic One, Zero:Red, Singolo, Acoustune HS1790TI, B2D, Fan 2, Hexa, Canon, Legacy 5.

Apr 24, 2024 at 11:20 PM Post #87,538 of 88,307
Bonneville is the first CFA IEM I demoed, and I love the sound signature instantly. I am still debating which will be my next purchase and Bonneville is very high on the list. One thing I like about Bonneville is the non-offensive treble. The bass is more mid-bass focused but that is what uniquely appealing to me as most of the IEMs focused on sub-bass, for the sake of not bleeding into Mids.
I don't understand how you could consider that "non-offensive treble". I guess our ears are just night and day because I hear a lot of sibilance and thinness that causes me physical discomfort

Apr 24, 2024 at 11:20 PM Post #87,539 of 88,307
Actually the fit is one area that I really like. Using my favorite Penon Liqueur tips it's really easy to get a good and comfortable seal. The passive isolation is nice too on the Bonneville.

Trebles I like: Volume, Magic One, Zero:Red, Singolo, Acoustune HS1790TI, B2D, Fan 2, Hexa, Canon, Legacy 5.
I will have to check some of those out - never heard any of them. Thanks

Apr 24, 2024 at 11:22 PM Post #87,540 of 88,307
I don't understand how you could consider that "non-offensive treble". I guess our ears are just night and day because I hear a lot of sibilance and thinness that causes me physical discomfort
It's of course personal in term of how we hear IEMs, but also I am old :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back