The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 25, 2024 at 2:36 AM Post #87,556 of 88,334
Sometimes when I pick up the Trailli for a longer listening session, the lack of a vent starts annoying me just a little bit.
And while I take them out of my ears to break the seal and shove them back in, I think to myself "Should I just get rid of these?".
Later when I listen to another earphone, I realize exactly what i'd be giving up, and I chuck that stupid idea right out of my mind.

1714025310166.png
The Brise and the Traillii must be an important combination? How does the cable shape the sound of these IEMs?

I personally loved it at first but because a bit underwhelmed with the bass when my Jewel joined the stable (I did spend more time tweaking the Jewel bass with tips and cables and sources)

Apr 25, 2024 at 2:57 AM Post #87,557 of 88,334
The Brise and the Traillii must be an important combination? How does the cable shape the sound of these IEMs?

I personally loved it at first but because a bit underwhelmed with the bass when my Jewel joined the stable (I did spend more time tweaking the Jewel bass with tips and cables and sources)
The Yatono OG + Trailli indeed go very well.
From my experience with Brise cables, they 'clean up' the sound (hard to describe this), push back any peaky highs, and add to low-end rumble just a tad bit very tastefully.
I tip rolled the Trailli like crazy to land the perfect sound and fit. Finally landed on the Itsfit Variety Dot Pro and bam! Perfection.

But yes, even with the whole chain curated, Traillis are no bass monsters. They are still good with EDM IMHO but I feel like if they were bass-boosted they would lose some of their magic.

Apr 25, 2024 at 4:47 AM Post #87,558 of 88,334
I for one adore the Bonneville, easily became my faovorite IEM that I really cant live without. When I reviewed Bonneville I give it a subjective score of 5 star on head-fi, this was easy for me to decide on as almost no other IEMs have given me the same amount pure joy.

Already had a talk about @thaslaya in PM about Bonneville, very different than how I perceive the Bonneville. But that is okay, we are sensitive to different things and IEMs is dependent of how our ears are (none are the same)

There is also the bias for what one is used to, most IEMs coming out are tuned very different than Bonneville.

I often hear the arguments about muddy/bleed bass into the mids, then I hear the IEMs myself and think this is soudning good and how it should be. The bass tuck style that I guess is very normal from Moondrop that also many other brands tune with, this sound unnatural to me and not as fun and full sounding. Bonneville is not following the tuck style at all, and since the bass is quite agile it doesn't sound to thick or slow. There is some coloration and more in amount, but that's what makes it so fun and lively.

I hear no sibilance at all when listening to the upper mids and treble, there is good bite on the treble so stuff like cymbals have good sizzle. But never harsh, some music that has a lot of treble emphasis can get tiresome to me. Often it occur more on electronic music and never with acoustic instruments.

If there is one thing, brighter females do lack some bite and energy and this also goes for some instruments. But I dont see it as a downside, more of tuning choice. In return music like death metal have good body and clarity without being to shouty or energetic.

I also love the fun and bold color design, and for others it's the safe black. :beerchug:
Nice to see some talk of the Bonneville. I got it quite recently but it has become one of my favorites. I find it fairly balanced sounding, with a bit more bass than neutral. The right amount of treble for me. The upper mids a touch recessed but that makes them easy to listen to. I think the fact that you like them and listen to metal as well is no coincidence. They work with most genres for me, but they are perfect for metal. Many IEMs sound great with mainstream music but when you change over to metal the upper mids and/or treble pull out their knives and come for your eardrums. Not so with the Bonneville. I also agree with @theveterans that the technical performance (imaging, resolution, staging) is north of its price point.

In terms of color, I went with the safer black option... and I am using the stock cable. Just for fun I plugged them into my desktop setup 1. Sounds sooo good. And absolutely zero hiss, even with an amp this powerful. Are we sure this is really a CFA IEM ... ? :) "Nicely done" sure is very apt in this case!

2024-04-25 09.50.25-1.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 5:21 AM Post #87,559 of 88,334
Has anyone compared the Mass Kobo 475 to the Enleum HPA 23rm?

For IEM usage primarily, but might hook up the Meze Elite.

Cant find a whole lot of impressions on the Enleum with IEM’s (maybe because single ended only?)

My first impressions where amazing, but there are options I have not heard yet. Like Mass Kobo and brise tsu

Apr 25, 2024 at 5:36 AM Post #87,560 of 88,334
At the risk of standing on the 3rd rail (again) that is the Trifecta conversation, having to pair a 6k or 7k cable with a 3k IEM to get acceptable sound from it doesn’t make a lot of financial sense to me.

I get that in this hobby there’s plenty of folks with more dough than I’ve got for exotic cables etc, but I’d much rather take that 10k and get 2 or even 3 IEMs that sound amazing with the cables that come with them in the box.
I didn’t dropped $7k to get acceptable sound from the Trifecta - if you read my post in this same thread a weak ago, I bought the Trifecta because I was blown away by its sound actually.

The cable I got brought my entire system to a level of performance that I’ve been pursuing for a long time. It also improved the sound of other IEMs I have in my collection.

In a market dominated by IEMs that sound pretty similar to each other, with companies avoiding taking risk to create something unique and just charging more money for more electrostatic drivers or a new bone conduction technology that at the end doesn’t sound much different or better than what I already have, I disagree with the assessment that I could spend the same money to buy 3 IEMs. I seriously doubt that a new IEM with the stock cable out of the box would get even closer to the sound I have now (and I tried many, believe me).

In the end, I prefer to find ways to look at the system and synergies that create the “end game” satisfaction. But everyone is different…

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 5:45 AM Post #87,561 of 88,334
I didn’t dropped $7k to get acceptable sound from the Trifecta - if you read my post in this same thread a weak ago, I bought the Trifecta because I was blown away by its sound actually.

The cable I got brought my entire system to a level of performance that I’ve been pursuing for a long time. It also improved the sound of other IEMs I have in my collection.

In a market dominated by IEMs that sound pretty similar to each other, with companies avoiding taking risk to create something unique and just charging more money for more electrostatic drivers or a new bone conduction technology that at the end doesn’t sound much different or better than what I already have, I disagree with the assessment that I could spend the same money to buy 3 IEMs. I seriously doubt that a new IEM with the stock cable out of the box would get even closer to the sound I have now (and I tried many, believe me).

In the end, I prefer to find ways to look at the system and synergies that create the “end game” satisfaction. But everyone is different…
Your equipment signature is the envy of many. :)

Whilst I'm not fond of Trifecta, it appears the Orphy and Orbit Saga 8w have been universally acclaimed. And unlike most cables, they seem to improve most IEM's they have been paired with. I'd love to hear them one day.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 6:25 AM Post #87,562 of 88,334
Apologies, I didn't recall your earlier post, rather I was reacting more to this one..
At a first glance and just out of the box, with the given cable and eartips, the sound can be a little overwhelming specially in the high frequencies, causing an impression of lack of separation and definition, while the bass overshadows all the rest.

I read A LOT about the Trifecta since the crafting and proposal got me really interested and I noticed several comments about tweaks that can really transform this IEM. And when this happens, it just changes the hobby for many.

Well, I am extremely happy to inform that after playing with different eartips and shifting between the original cable and the PW Audio Orpheus, I finally found a solution that brought me as close to my ideal sound signature as I never been before
... where you seem to imply the stock cable and tips do not favour the IEM out of box, and go on to declaim the benefits of a $6k or $7k cable pairing.

Truly and respectfully, if you're happy with what you've got, that's all that really matters anyway.

But me, being the inherent cheapskate that I am, I blanche at the implication that a given IEM can be transformed with a 6k or 7k cable, when 6k or 7k is more than plenty to get an IEM that sounds Amazeballs with the cable it comes with.

Apr 25, 2024 at 6:35 AM Post #87,563 of 88,334
But me, being the inherent cheapskate that I am, I blanche at the implication that a given IEM can be transformed with a 6k or 7k cable, when 6k or 7k is more than plenty to get an IEM that sounds Amazeballs with the cable it comes with.
I think the point is that the cable upgrade elevates [enter IEM name here] to be the very best it can be. Yes you can get two or three other IEMs for the price of the cable, but none will give you that exact same blend and balance that you enjoy with [enter IEM name here].

All that said, the prices some companies charge for their 'flagship' cables (and even some non-flagships) is beyond ridiculous, but as long as you realise that's not based on performance or anything remotely to do with value, it's easy to just nod, wave and move on. 😅

Apr 25, 2024 at 6:51 AM Post #87,564 of 88,334
Effect Audio Centurion
In Japan, I listened both Shirogane ultimate 4w and EA Centurion with my Apx, thanks to e-earphone Akihabara and Fujiya-avic stores.
Both cables are incredible The choice between them is very difficult. Finally the sound signature of EA centurion suits more to me : frenzied and silky rhythm.
What eartip combination?

Apr 25, 2024 at 7:08 AM Post #87,565 of 88,334
Folks, there is something that I have been very curious about for a long time.. so I thought that I would ask (with the utmost respect and goodwill) for thoughts from those who understand..

I see that there are quite a few audiophiles (young and old) who listen mainly to EDM, House, Trance and Psychedelic music.. even review and evaluate equipments using said music..

I will try to illustrate my question using my own experience with various genres and sub-genres that I normally listen to and can actually understand (know what to look for, what to enjoy, and what to be critical about in the music)..

To put it simply, I can understand the story and complexities in jazz, pop, R&B/hip hop, opera, rock, heavy metal, classical, and many more.. the most complex of them all, as expected, is classical of course.. but even with heavy metal, I get what the band is trying to convey with their music.. pop music (such as Taylor Swift, Adele, etc) is even simpler where you just listen to the story that they are singing..

But with EDM, House, Trance, Psychedelic, etc.. what is it that I am supposed to look for and receive from the music? What is the story that the musicians are telling me?

Once again I ask this in good spirit and the highest respect to the genres..

Cheers and best of health to us all!

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 7:23 AM Post #87,566 of 88,334
Folks, there is something that I have been very curious about for a long time.. so I thought that I would ask (with the utmost respect and goodwill) for thoughts from those who understand..

I see that there are quite a few audiophiles (young and old) who listen mainly to EDM, House, Trance and Psychedelic music.. even review and evaluate equipments using said music..

I will try to illustrate my question using my own experience with various genres and sub-genres that I normally listen to and can actually understand (know what to look for, what to enjoy, and what to be critical about in the music)..

To put it simply, I can understand the story and complexities in jazz, pop, R&B/hip hop, opera, rock, heavy metal, classical, and many more.. the most complex of them all, as expected, is classical of course.. but even with heavy metal, I get what the band is trying to convey with their music.. pop music (such as Taylor Swift, Adele, etc) is even simpler where you just listen to the story that they are singing..

But with EDM, House, Trance, Psychedelic, etc.. what is it that I am supposed to look for and receive from the music? What is the story that the musicians are telling me?

Once again I ask this in good spirit and the highest respect to the genres..

Cheers and best of health to us all!
What if the music is not intended to tell a story, but to take you to another place where you make the story?

Apr 25, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #87,567 of 88,334
What if the music is not intended to tell a story, but to take you to another place where you make the story?
That is a very foreign concept for me as an avid music listener but nevertheless very interesting!

So what do you look for or pay attention to in said music?

Apr 25, 2024 at 7:32 AM Post #87,568 of 88,334
Firstly, I would separate "Psychedelic" from the others, as to me Psych is much more in line with Indie Rock, and is often made (intentionally) with much lower production value than the other Electronic genres.

Otherwise, especially with EDM, House, Trance and the many, many other Dance/Electronic variants, its much more of a feel of the music, typically from the 4x4 bass synths and percussion inherent to those genres, layered with synths and other effects all up and down the FR curve. A wispy female vocal often does not go astray either.

One thing that elevates most electronic music in the hobby for me is that it is made with at least above average, and more typically top-quality recording & production, which translates extremely well to listening with top-quality gear. If you want to hear how technical a given IEM or headphone is, then electronic music will often allow you to really push those limits.

Off the top of my head, or playlist, here's something I've really enjoyed recently:

I'm sure @Scubadevils will have plenty of other examples to share. :)

Apr 25, 2024 at 7:38 AM Post #87,569 of 88,334
There's been plenty of discussion here and on other threads "cough - Storm" about FR and trying to EQ iems to make them sound like others. I got a bit tired reading it so decided to see what ChatGPT could come up with. To thicken the plot, I asked ChatGPT to make a manga storyline out of it. Here is the result. Enjoy!
Title: "Tune Quest"

Synopsis:

In a world where music is both magic and science, aspiring audio engineer Yuki Akagi dreams of creating the perfect sound. But when he stumbles upon an ancient artifact known as the "Harmonic Core," he discovers that his passion for audio engineering is more than just a hobby—it's his destiny.

The Harmonic Core is a legendary device said to hold the key to unlocking the ultimate sound experience. With the help of his friends, a talented musician named Sora and a brilliant programmer named Kaito, Yuki embarks on a quest to harness the power of the Harmonic Core and revolutionize the world of audio technology.

However, they soon find themselves pursued by the nefarious "Sound Syndicate," a shadowy organization seeking to monopolize control over the Harmonic Core for their own sinister purposes. As Yuki and his friends race against time to unlock the Core's secrets, they must confront their own fears, doubts, and insecurities.

Along the way, they encounter rival audio engineers, eccentric musicians, and ancient guardians of sound who challenge their beliefs and push them to their limits. Through adversity and triumph, Yuki learns that the true power of music lies not in perfection, but in the journey of self-discovery and the connections forged with others.

Themes:

Passion and Pursuit of Dreams: Yuki's unwavering passion for audio engineering drives him to overcome obstacles and pursue his dream of creating the perfect sound.
Friendship and Collaboration: Yuki's journey is intertwined with the bonds he forms with Sora and Kaito, highlighting the importance of teamwork and collaboration in achieving goals.
Self-Discovery and Growth: As Yuki faces challenges and confronts his own limitations, he undergoes personal growth and learns to embrace his flaws as part of his journey.
The Power of Music: Music is portrayed as a magical force that transcends language and connects people on a deeper level, inspiring creativity, healing emotional wounds, and fostering unity.

With its blend of adventure, friendship, and the magic of music, "Tune Quest" promises to captivate readers and take them on an epic journey through the world of audio technology and beyond.
Reading this story/thread while commuting home in the evening without my DAP (forgot to charge), makes the journey so much more bearable. Thanks for breaking the monotony @yaps66 . 🍺

Apr 25, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #87,570 of 88,334
Firstly, I would separate "Psychedelic" from the others, as to me Psych is much more in line with Indie Rock, and is often made (intentionally) with much lower production value than the other Electronic genres.

Otherwise, especially with EDM, House, Trance and the many, many other Dance/Electronic variants, its much more of a feel of the music, typically from the 4x4 bass synths and percussion inherent to those genres, layered with synths and other effects all up and down the FR curve. A wispy female vocal often does not go astray either.

One thing that elevates most electronic music in the hobby for me is that it is made with at least above average, and more typically top-quality recording & production, which translates extremely well to listening with top-quality gear. If you want to hear how technical a given IEM or headphone is, then electronic music will often allow you to really push those limits.

Off the top of my head, or playlist, here's something I've really enjoyed recently:

I'm sure @Scubadevils will have plenty of other examples to share. :)

Wow thanks so much!

1. Electronic is the umbrella genre that I am looking for and should cover everything that I mentioned earlier

2. With the specific music example that you recommended, what do you pay attention to in the music? And consequently how would you use those things to assess gears?

As an example from other genre, for instance FUNK, I would typically look at and enjoy the bass guitar performances.. and when I use it to assess gears, I look at how well the notes are separated between each pick..

(Disclaimer: this may not be 100% accurate as the recording and mastering process would make a huge difference to the final recording.. so unless one is present on site during recording and mastering, then one would never really know the correct sound)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back