The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 28, 2024 at 6:59 AM Post #84,796 of 87,705
Yes, I have to admit that my comment was a bit hasty. It was quite early this morning and I wasn't fully awake yet. You're right 🙏🏻. I'll change it. But the N8ii was indeed too bright for me.

No problem at all. Don't worry.
---
I still remember your recommendation to prefer the Prestige variant over the OG variant of the Ragnar, which you had posted earlier here on head-fi.
Will keep it in mind.

Mar 28, 2024 at 7:01 AM Post #84,797 of 87,705
No problem at all. Don't worry.
---
I still remember your recommendation to prefer the Prestige variant over the OG variant of the Ragnar, which you had posted earlier here on head-fi.
Will keep it in mind.
I was so dumb and missed a EU Ragnar Prestige Edition in Classified. It wasn't even old and absolutely mint I regret it so much. I will never find such an offer again :deadhorse:.

Mar 28, 2024 at 7:02 AM Post #84,798 of 87,705
Since receiving the anni23, I have had problems with the fit, the stock cable pulled the headphones out of my ears regardless of which nozzles I used.With the purchase of Chiron 4W, the problems with landing disappeared
DCAD1D22-1B6B-44BA-83F4-C328BDCB3C52.jpeg

Mar 28, 2024 at 7:13 AM Post #84,799 of 87,705

2:18 - 3:15, not directed towards Trifecta itself but I tend to find IEMs that are “slower” don’t play this back well to my ears.

Pretty much the entire first 42 seconds.

Thank you!! Ok now we have some common ground to make comparisons. Compared with Xe6:

Raindrops: can definitely hear the improved detail and articulation of the mids --> treble notes, and finer treble details, which Trifecta smears (or smooths over). On this track, bass is dominant on Trifecta and treble lags, while Xe6 is more balanced, with less bass quantity and more detail/separation throughout. Xe6 lets you dig into the details more, whereas Tri is more about the overall feel, the beat, and not getting too hooked up on tiny nuances. Easy to see why one would prefer either of these over the other based on this.

B.Y.O.B.: unlike Raindrops I don't have any of this type of fast/aggressive music in my library. The main difference for me here is not so much the detail or articulation, but the exposure of Trifecta's treble peaks in the cymbal crashes. Trifecta is significantly brighter than Xe6 with this track. I don't actually think speed is an issue for Tri, ironically, but all I'm hearing is grunge - treble peak - growl - treble peak etc. Whereas Xe6 is much more even-keeled and less in your face. Again, easy to pick a preference based on this track.

I'd say with EDM like Raindrops I have zero issues with Trifecta, although now that you've focused my attention on the treble details I can notice them more. The other track I wouldn't listen to regardless, but I've come across plenty of rock tracks with hectic cymbal strikes and sadly Trifecta just murders those for me.

Mar 28, 2024 at 7:18 AM Post #84,800 of 87,705
Thank you!! Ok now we have some common ground to make comparisons. Compared with Xe6:

Raindrops: can definitely hear the improved detail and articulation of the mids --> treble notes, and finer treble details, which Trifecta smears (or smooths over). On this track, bass is dominant on Trifecta and treble lags, while Xe6 is more balanced, with less bass quantity and more detail/separation throughout. Xe6 lets you dig into the details more, whereas Tri is more about the overall feel, the beat, and not getting too hooked up on tiny nuances. Easy to see why one would prefer either of these over the other based on this.

B.Y.O.B.: unlike Raindrops I don't have any of this type of fast/aggressive music in my library. The main difference for me here is not so much the detail or articulation, but the exposure of Trifecta's treble peaks in the cymbal crashes. Trifecta is significantly brighter than Xe6 with this track. I don't actually think speed is an issue for Tri, ironically, but all I'm hearing is grunge - treble peak - growl - treble peak etc. Whereas Xe6 is much more even-keeled and less in your face. Again, easy to pick a preference based on this track.

I'd say with EDM like Raindrops I have zero issues with Trifecta, although now that you've focused my attention on the treble details I can notice them more. The other track I wouldn't listen to regardless, but I've come across plenty of rock tracks with hectic cymbal strikes and sadly Trifecta just murders those for me.
Great writing, I'll give it a try as soon as I have time...

Mar 28, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #84,801 of 87,705
I was so dumb and missed a EU Ragnar Prestige Edition in Classified. It wasn't even old and absolutely mint I regret it so much. I will never find such an offer again :deadhorse:.
What a pity. Prestige Ragnar is a lovely IEM if one is so inclined. Several ways to play around to achieve nuanced changes in timbre with cable rolling.

Mar 28, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #84,802 of 87,705

Yeah mainly fast drums/cymbals sound too off on the Trifecta for me.

Btw is that Jinx from Arcane in yer profile pic?

Mar 28, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #84,805 of 87,705
But isn't comparing Trifecta to Annihilator like comparing a Bentley cruiser to a Ferrari?

Yes, they are apples-oranges. I say this as someone who migrated from the Annihlator to the Trifecta originally. For me and my tastes the Trifecta was an upgrade. Annihilator is great and I understand the love it gets but for me it's too thin in the mids and the bass, even on the 2023 version (which for practical purposes is just and EQ'd 2021 IMHO) just doesn't cut it. YMMV.

Mar 28, 2024 at 8:09 AM Post #84,806 of 87,705
Yes, they are apples-oranges. I say this as someone who migrated from the Annihlator to the Trifecta originally. For me and my tastes the Trifecta was an upgrade. Annihilator is great and I understand the love it gets but for me it's too thin in the mids and the bass, even on the 2023 version (which for practical purposes is just and EQ'd 2021 IMHO) just doesn't cut it. YMMV.
As someone who loves/hates Trifecta (more loves than hates), I find there's better ways to counterbalance the fuller bass and mids without overdoing the treble. Maybe it was just technically impossible with three direct-firing full-range DDs, but the likes of Xe6, N8 and X4 show how you can have your cake (fuller lower notes) and eat it too (more relaxed/refined treble). I probably just answered my own question given those are all hybrid/tribrids.

Mar 28, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #84,807 of 87,705
As someone who loves/hates Trifecta (more loves than hates), I find there's better ways to counterbalance the fuller bass and mids without overdoing the treble. Maybe it was just technically impossible with three direct-firing full-range DDs, but the likes of Xe6, N8 and X4 show how you can have your cake (fuller lower notes) and eat it too (more relaxed/refined treble). I probably just answered my own question given those are all hybrid/tribrids.

I've got no issue with the treble on Trifecta and I've always preferred a good single driver type IEM when push comes to shove as for me the coherence/overall unity of sound you get has a special secret sauce that is worth more than the sum of the parts.

Mar 28, 2024 at 8:19 AM Post #84,808 of 87,705
Great post. Honestly "technicalities" is a mostly meaningless umbrella term that can mean any number of things depending on what the person who is using it happens to fixate on. By most metrics, meaning just about everything except raw top-end articulation, Trifecta is actually a technical powerhouse. As you point out here it's really a lot more technical than it's often given credit for.

Speed is another cricticism of this IEM that I feel has been not a little bit overblown. Trifecta can get overwhelmed sometimes with really busy sections in orchestral pieces, or in certain types of EDM (another somewhat meaninglessly broad term) or other music that requires a lot of articulation up top. I listen to a pretty broad array of music and driver speed has never cropped up as an issue for me. On the contrary it's what gives the IEM a lot of its characteristic analogue fullness and body. BA IEMs often sound plastic, insubstantial and excessively thin to me coming right from the Trifecta.

All of that said I suppose this IEM is doomed to always be something of a firebrand in the audio community-- though to an extent that does admittedly puzzle me somewhat. I get that not everyone will love, or even like it, but I'm continually surprised at the vehemence with which some dismiss it. I can't help but wonder, as with the Xe6 before it, that many who despise it off the cuff may come to appreciate it more following repeated demos and more time. In any case IMHO the Trifecta has decidedly and unequivocally earned its place in the current pantheon of TOTL offerings. At the end of the day my greatest wish for anyone in this hobby is that they eventually come across an IEM that makes them as happy as the CFA Trifecta makes me.

In other news for "artificially stretched out stage" my vote would go to the 64 Fourte.

As with all and everything in this predominantly subjective hobby, YMMV and all that.
Oh yeahhh I forgot about the fourte ! That thing was wide as all hell ..kinda miss it just for that special factor lol but yeah to me trifecta sounded huuuge I loved it .. could have something to do with gold brick synergy but I can’t wait to get my ears on one again :)

Mar 28, 2024 at 8:20 AM Post #84,809 of 87,705
Fair enough, and thanks for the reply. But isn't comparing Trifecta to Annihilator like comparing a Bentley cruiser to a Ferrari?

And also I'm not trying to call anyone out - I'm genuinely interested in what folks consider too 'fast' for Trifecta, so I can cue it up and compare it to my other IEMs. I'm currently doing a Trifecta deep dive, hence the question.
I doubt my opinion means much of anything compared to people who own many, more IEMs than I do. I'm also fairly certain I've ostracized myself even further from the club based on my recent callouts. But sure, I'll toss another tire on the fire, because either way I've got no skin in this game.

Reference the first 30 seconds. I've heard this track dozens of times on multiple IEMs. It's not an issue of Campfire tuning. On planars, like the Supermoon, the initial few seconds come off as too sharp, there's treble peaks. On dynamic driver only sets, it's bass-heavy but bloated. In my experience the only IEMs that have rendered this correctly for me are either tribrids or BA-only sets, which admittedly are less fun to listen to but still sound accurate. It's good on rn6; it's fun on xe6. I heard it on Fathom, a BA set, and it sounded just fine. This is me calling it as I hear it. It's what my ears hear. I'm not trying to convince anyone else what they hear; likewise, I'm not looking to be corrected as to what I do.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #84,810 of 87,705
I doubt my opinion means much of anything compared to people who own many, more IEMs than I do. I'm also fairly certain I've ostracized myself even further from the club based on my recent callouts. But sure, I'll toss another tire on the fire, because either way I've got no skin in this game.

Reference the first 30 seconds. I've heard this track dozens of times on multiple IEMs. It's not an issue of Campfire tuning. On planars, like the Supermoon, the initial few seconds come off as too sharp, there's treble peaks. On dynamic driver only sets, it's bass-heavy but bloated. In my experience the only IEMs that have rendered this correctly for me are either tribrids or BA-only sets, which admittedly are less fun to listen to but still sound accurate. It's good on rn6; it's fun on xe6. I heard it on Fathom, a BA set, and it sounded just fine. This is me calling it as I hear it. It's what my ears here. I'm not trying to convince anyone else what they hear; likewise, I'm not looking to be corrected as to what I do.

Thanks for this. Yeah definitely not Trifecta material (for me). It simply pushes the treble too far forward, which combined with the bass weight creates a high-contrast presentation. While high-contrast, as photo editors will attest, creates more punch/wow/bombast, it comes at the cost of finer detail and refinement. It's like a sledgehammer vs a scalpel. Now Xe6 is not quite a scalpel (the all-BA flagships are more likely this), but it has more nuance than Trifecta, and keeps the treble intensity well away from overpowering the track.

That's not to say this track isn't enjoyable with Trifecta, especially if you like this type of aggressive/fast music intense and painted in broad strokes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back