The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 28, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #84,826 of 87,756
Thank you!! Ok now we have some common ground to make comparisons. Compared with Xe6:

Raindrops: can definitely hear the improved detail and articulation of the mids --> treble notes, and finer treble details, which Trifecta smears (or smooths over). On this track, bass is dominant on Trifecta and treble lags, while Xe6 is more balanced, with less bass quantity and more detail/separation throughout. Xe6 lets you dig into the details more, whereas Tri is more about the overall feel, the beat, and not getting too hooked up on tiny nuances. Easy to see why one would prefer either of these over the other based on this.

B.Y.O.B.: unlike Raindrops I don't have any of this type of fast/aggressive music in my library. The main difference for me here is not so much the detail or articulation, but the exposure of Trifecta's treble peaks in the cymbal crashes. Trifecta is significantly brighter than Xe6 with this track. I don't actually think speed is an issue for Tri, ironically, but all I'm hearing is grunge - treble peak - growl - treble peak etc. Whereas Xe6 is much more even-keeled and less in your face. Again, easy to pick a preference based on this track.

I'd say with EDM like Raindrops I have zero issues with Trifecta, although now that you've focused my attention on the treble details I can notice them more. The other track I wouldn't listen to regardless, but I've come across plenty of rock tracks with hectic cymbal strikes and sadly Trifecta just murders those for me.
I have B.Y.O.B in my library and it also becomes troublesome for some IEMs, but for Anni, it deals with the treble and cymbal gracefully.

Mar 28, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #84,827 of 87,756
Watercooler,
Curious which relatively high-end current IEMs ($1500+?) would you rate to be the biggest at soundstage width and height? Not considering if that soundstage is hollow or filled with sound.
Monachaa biggest of them all imo.
but they are so incredibly slow that the cannot keep up with moderately paced music and are lacking in fine detail.
I will never understand when people say this. As if the faster pace of the music somehow outdoes the driver's ability to respond. I just don't think that's actually what's going on. I think it's a timbral difference, related to PRAT, and DD's perceived "slowness" to me is actually temporal accuracy. Even "fast-paced music," by which I think you mean a faster time signature (?) can sound either frenetic or relaxed, meaning either etched and disjointed and on-edge or it can flow smoothly and correctly. I don't think DDs can't "keep up" just but I do think there is a way to tune a set where it sounds "slower" or "faster" and then you either prefer one or the other tuning.
Ok let's get down to brass tacks. Can someone please provide an example or two of tracks which, when played on Trifecta, lose out in detail/pace to 'normal' IEMs? The treble peaks are well documented and quite easily mitigated (a tip swap will do it), but I'm curious which music is being described as too fast for Trifecta. I personally quite like it with EDM, which is one of the genres often used as a stick to beat Trifecta with. 🤷🏻
Yes yes and yes. I listen almost exclusively to EDM right now and Trifectas are my preferred set for all kinds of electronica...
The Monachaa is an invitation to rediscover your music collection, something I'm thoroughly enjoying atm :)
Massive fan of this IEM. Thank you for you review. I agree with all of it to a "T."
Part of me really wants to like Trifecta, but then the other part looks at the price tag and remembers what an IEM like Annihilator can do far more consistently.
Sure, I guess this is pretty universal. Trifecta does a lot more right for me than Anni, so I went the other way,
A lot of earlier Bloc Party stuff (their first album, ep) sounds super wonky with Trifecta.
Just listened to Silent Alarm. DC-Elite -> VT Lavinia -> Trifecta -> Clarion tips = sublime. I very much don't understand. Not wonky at all to my ears.
As someone who loves/hates Trifecta (more loves than hates), I find there's better ways to counterbalance the fuller bass and mids without overdoing the treble. Maybe it was just technically impossible with three direct-firing full-range DDs, but the likes of Xe6, N8 and X4 show how you can have your cake (fuller lower notes) and eat it too (more relaxed/refined treble). I probably just answered my own question given those are all hybrid/tribrids.
The theme of wonky treble (peaks) keeps coming up too and I can't help but wonder if TIPS are to blame here. Because I just don't hear it.
Simon & Garfunkel - America
Simon & Garfunkel - A Poem on the Underground Wall

These are both soft tracks that get very fast and Trifecta kind of shouts everything out at you and it doesn’t sound cohesive and even a bit tizzy and unpleasantly sibilant to my ears. Bonneville is a better match for that kind of music.
Sounds great on Trifecta! Sounds better on Monachaa but still great on Trifectas...

Mar 28, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #84,828 of 87,756
My current favorite tips are exactly these. They are the Acoustune AET07. Noble (and Aroma Audio) have them in a special color. There are also intermediate sizes at Aliexpress.
I’ve got them both here. It might be just me but I don’t hear them the same. I find the AET07 to have a more dramatic effect that brings mids up more whereas Noble ones it’s more subtle. I might give them another A/B comparison later.

I asked Noble at CanJam London about their tips. They didn’t know where they came from other than from their ‘supplier’ ha

Mar 28, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #84,830 of 87,756
Have you had a chance to hear Annihilator yet? Really curious to get your thoughts on it. I know our music preferences differ greatly but I still think you may quite like it.

Because my library consists of mostly cymbal laden, aggressive music, I typically shy away from treble heavy or treble leaning tunings. I also find V shaped tunings can often be problematic. Trifecta would likely be a love/hate relationship for me as well, music dependent. Even though there's substantial bass support, which to me is a key aspect in enjoying the music I listen to, if a treble is peaky or presents any metallic glare that quickly becomes fatiguing and has me scrambling to turn down the volume. As you say, the likes of Xe6, N8 (Nio, in my case) and other IEMs of a similar tuning / driver configuration are seemingly able to present a full low end foundation coupled with a present yet non piercing treble. To me, this ends up being the "goldilocks" zone for ~90% of my library.

Annihilator shouldn't appeal to me then, right? With it's omni present treble and "brighter" tuning philosophy. But, it's beguiling in the fact that its treble is free of perceptible peaks and smoother, yet still quite elevated, very detailed and able to cut through a well north of neutral low end. All with no glare, sibilance or harshness to boot. Really quite a feat, IMO. It's been the epitome of "a having your cake and eating too IEM" for me personally.
You should definitely try Anni 23, the reputation of treble expert does not implying that Anni put lots of emphasis on treble, but the way how it handles treble. For me personally I don't have a lot of "aggressive" music such as metals, but if you do, you may like Anni.

Mar 28, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #84,831 of 87,756
As a metalhead I have had my issues with Trifecta, until I finally found tips (Noble stock silicones) that shaped the treble to my preference. Treble now sounds controlled and detailed and definitely not as peaky. Quite wonderful in fact. To me, a bit like how you described Annihilator treble now really.
Good to hear the peakiness can be mitigated with tip rolling. I'm sure 3 DDs firing in unison make for a highly enjoyable double bass kick sensation. Trifecta certainly high on my want to hear list.
You should definitely try Anni 23, the reputation of treble expert does not implying that Anni put lots of emphasis on treble, but the way how it handles treble. For me personally I don't have a lot of "aggressive" music such as metals, but if you do, you may like Anni.
I've edit my post a bit to make it clearer. I do own (and love) Anni '23.

Mar 28, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #84,832 of 87,756
I don't know I may ask question in PM about certain musical groups and see if it's the real david or question him about DD or its specific prompt! :D
For me the proof is in if "this user" posts he has put an IEM on Classifieds, then 2 posts later explains why he took it down again :wink:

drftr

Mar 28, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #84,833 of 87,756
I’ve got them both here. It might be just me but I don’t hear them the same. I find the AET07 to have a more dramatic effect that brings mids up more whereas Noble ones it’s more subtle. I might give them another A/B comparison later.

I asked Noble at CanJam London about their tips. They didn’t know where they came from other than from their ‘supplier’ ha
If I'm not mistaken, Aroma himself is the one who wrote in the forum that it's the AET07. And Aroma and Noble have the same tips. Ergo: Noble should have the AET07. Could it be that you have a different size? What could be different though is the material due to a different color, so no idea... different consistency due to the different color or something like that? That wouldn't surprise me... nothing surprises me more in this hobby as far as how sound can be affected.

Mar 28, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #84,834 of 87,756
Good to hear the peakiness can be mitigated with tip rolling. I'm sure 3 DDs firing in unison make for a highly enjoyable double bass kick sensation. Trifecta certainly high on my want to hear list.

I've edit my post a bit to make it clearer. I do own (and love) Anni '23.
Of course, I should have noticed your signature.

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #84,835 of 87,756
Looking forward to getting my anni’s with Fusion 1.

Loved the sound when I tried @MatW pair In Amsterjam.

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #84,836 of 87,756
As a big fan of the Traillii, I got to demo the Monachaa some weeks ago and knew right away it needs to be part of my collection. Big thanks to Andrew from MusicTeck for making this happen. I'd like to share my impressions as I noticed that the Monachaa seems to be quite overlooked based on the little amount of reviews and impressions here.

1.jpg

The Monachaa is a W-shaped iem with focus on the midrange, which is prominently elevated, drawing a delightful parallel to the revered Odin. This elevation in the mids ensures that vocals and lead instruments are rendered with exceptional clarity and rich texture, making them the centerpiece of any track. In this aspect it is also capable to extract the rawness and angelic timbre of female vocals, which very little IEMs can do. This quality reminded me of the Raal SR1a.

However, unlike the Odin, the Monachaa takes a bit more subdued approach to the upper mids, mitigating potential harshness without sacrificing detail. This ensures a listening experience that is detailed and vibrant, yet making long listening sessions a pleasure rather than a fatigue-inducing endeavor.

1711610515751.png

The sub-bass, on the other hand, is distinctively elevated but reserved for the very low registers. This approach provides a solid foundation that adds depth and realism to the sound like a subwoofer, and it counterbalances the brighter upper registers. The result is a sound that feels full-bodied and expansive, without overshadowing the midrange and also without sacrificing any of the insane details. Furthermore, the bass exhibits a really pleasing texture and decay, as one would anticipate from a high-end dynamic driver. But it is by no means a bass-head iem, but for sure will please everyone that likes bass quality.

2.jpg

Treble extension is another area where the Oriolus Monachaa excels. The treble reaches into the higher frequencies with remarkable control and finesse, contributing to an airy, open and very holographic soundstage. The extended treble, in concert with the detailed upper mids, injects energy and sparkle into the music, offering an engaging and dynamic listening experience while still keeping the organic timbre provided by the 4 DDs.

The Monachaa's purple and gold look is eye-catching. It is shaped a lot like the Traillii and is about the same size too. I usually have trouble finding iems that fit well, so I can't comment much on that. I'm going to get custom tips, but having a really good seal is key for the Monachaa to keep the bass present, as losing a little bit of bass due to seal issues can really tilt the overall tonal balance, more than with any other iem.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Final thoughts:

The Monachaa is an incredible clarity focused iem at an extremley competitive price point. It's a versatile choice for various musical genres. The careful attenuation of the upper mids and treble ensures excitement and detail that audiophiles crave without the downside of listener fatigue. This is my second Oriolus iem that I have heard. I believe it's entirely accurate to say that Oriolus excels and exhibits great caution in their tuning choices. Everything appears flawlessly balanced within the borders of the overall tuning direction selected for each specific product.

The Monachaa is an invitation to rediscover your music collection, something I'm thoroughly enjoying atm :)

I'm getting this from @emdeevee this weekend - super excited to try it.

Since receiving the anni23, I have had problems with the fit, the stock cable pulled the headphones out of my ears regardless of which nozzles I used.With the purchase of Chiron 4W, the problems with landing disappeared
DCAD1D22-1B6B-44BA-83F4-C328BDCB3C52.jpeg

Love this pairing - this is my favorite for the Anni. Glad it worked well for you too!

Have you had a chance to hear Annihilator yet? Really curious to get your thoughts on it. I know our music preferences differ greatly but I still think you may quite like it.

Because my library consists of mostly cymbal laden, aggressive music, I typically shy away from treble heavy or treble leaning tunings. I also find V shaped tunings can often be problematic. Trifecta would likely be a love/hate relationship for me as well, music dependent. Even though there's substantial bass support, which to me is a key aspect in enjoying the music I listen to, if a treble is peaky or presents any metallic glare that quickly becomes fatiguing and has me scrambling to turn down the volume. As you say, the likes of Xe6, N8 (Nio, in my case) and other IEMs of a similar tuning / driver configuration are seemingly able to present a full low end foundation coupled with a present yet non piercing treble. To me, this ends up being the "goldilocks" zone for ~90% of my library.

Annihilator shouldn't appeal to me then, right? With it's omni present treble and "brighter" tuning philosophy. But, it's beguiling in the fact that its treble is free of perceptible peaks and smoother, yet still quite elevated, very detailed and able to cut through a well north of neutral low end. All with no glare, sibilance or harshness to boot. Really quite a feat, IMO. Annihilator has been the epitome of "a having your cake and eating too IEM" for me personally.

Thank you guys for the love on the Anni 2023 and recommending it, we appreciate it!

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #84,837 of 87,756
As a big fan of the Traillii, I got to demo the Monachaa some weeks ago and knew right away it needs to be part of my collection. Big thanks to Andrew from MusicTeck for making this happen. I'd like to share my impressions as I noticed that the Monachaa seems to be quite overlooked based on the little amount of reviews and impressions here.

The Monachaa is a W-shaped iem with focus on the midrange, which is prominently elevated, drawing a delightful parallel to the revered Odin. This elevation in the mids ensures that vocals and lead instruments are rendered with exceptional clarity and rich texture, making them the centerpiece of any track. In this aspect it is also capable to extract the rawness and angelic timbre of female vocals, which very little IEMs can do. This quality reminded me of the Raal SR1a.

However, unlike the Odin, the Monachaa takes a bit more subdued approach to the upper mids, mitigating potential harshness without sacrificing detail. This ensures a listening experience that is detailed and vibrant, yet making long listening sessions a pleasure rather than a fatigue-inducing endeavor.

The sub-bass, on the other hand, is distinctively elevated but reserved for the very low registers. This approach provides a solid foundation that adds depth and realism to the sound like a subwoofer, and it counterbalances the brighter upper registers. The result is a sound that feels full-bodied and expansive, without overshadowing the midrange and also without sacrificing any of the insane details. Furthermore, the bass exhibits a really pleasing texture and decay, as one would anticipate from a high-end dynamic driver. But it is by no means a bass-head iem, but for sure will please everyone that likes bass quality.

Treble extension is another area where the Oriolus Monachaa excels. The treble reaches into the higher frequencies with remarkable control and finesse, contributing to an airy, open and very holographic soundstage. The extended treble, in concert with the detailed upper mids, injects energy and sparkle into the music, offering an engaging and dynamic listening experience while still keeping the organic timbre provided by the 4 DDs.

The Monachaa's purple and gold look is eye-catching. It is shaped a lot like the Traillii and is about the same size too. I usually have trouble finding iems that fit well, so I can't comment much on that. I'm going to get custom tips, but having a really good seal is key for the Monachaa to keep the bass present, as losing a little bit of bass due to seal issues can really tilt the overall tonal balance, more than with any other iem.

Final thoughts:

The Monachaa is an incredible clarity focused iem at an extremley competitive price point. It's a versatile choice for various musical genres. The careful attenuation of the upper mids and treble ensures excitement and detail that audiophiles crave without the downside of listener fatigue. This is my second Oriolus iem that I have heard. I believe it's entirely accurate to say that Oriolus excels and exhibits great caution in their tuning choices. Everything appears flawlessly balanced within the borders of the overall tuning direction selected for each specific product.

Awesome write up… I could see a world where something like this could sway me from the chase for a long while. I love my szalayi's so much, and everything i have read about monachaa is an upgraded version with better treble extension... sign me up.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #84,838 of 87,756
One more thing guys - any feedback on Craft Ears? I have a chat with them sometime soon as they're looking for some help in my skillset.

I know there was a lot of talk on the Omnium here a bit of time ago, but since haven't heard much.

I'd appreciate the feedback from those of you who've tried their other IEMs would be appreciated too!

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #84,839 of 87,756
One more thing guys - any feedback on Craft Ears? I have a chat with them sometime soon as they're looking for some help in my skillset.

I know there was a lot of talk on the Omnium here a bit of time ago, but since haven't heard much.

I'd appreciate the feedback from those of you who've tried their other IEMs would be appreciated too!

I’ve only tried the Omnium and I really like it. It’s what I use in the gym. It’s got a really deep sub bass with a generously punchy feel to the mid bass without a large emphasis, slightly warmer mids and then a little treble excitement to cap it off. I really enjoy the tuning and timbre, and i find the techs straight from my iPhone quite satisfying too! I haven’t tried any of their other sets though.

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #84,840 of 87,756
The theme of wonky treble (peaks) keeps coming up too and I can't help but wonder if TIPS are to blame here. Because I just don't hear it.

Tips, source and one's inner ear geometry can all affect one's perception of treble...I think more than perhaps any other area of the FR. Incidentally this is one of the reasons that most if not all FR measurements of IEMs with respect to the treble region should be taken with a grain of salt as everyone's individual ears can potetially tweak or attenuate the sound in a distinct way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back