The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 28, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #84,841 of 87,745
I’ve only tried the Omnium and I really like it. It’s what I use in the gym. It’s got a really deep sub bass with a generously punchy feel to the mid bass without a large emphasis, slightly warmer mids and then a little treble excitement to cap it off. I really enjoy the tuning and timbre, and i find the techs straight from my iPhone quite satisfying too! I haven’t tried any of their other sets though.

Thank you! You got custom right? Can you link me to your post?

Knowing our similar tastes, it looks quite up may alley too.

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #84,842 of 87,745
Thank you! You got custom right? Can you link me to your post?

Knowing our similar tastes, it looks quite up may alley too.

I did.. oh man I wouldn’t even know where to start given how fast this thread moves. LOL.

Here’s the FR from my universals and my CIEM

fc604bca17c9f83bed0a06c9d01ceace.png

IMG_8155.jpeg

Mar 28, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #84,843 of 87,745
I did.. oh man I wouldn’t even know where to start given how fast this thread moves. LOL.

Here’s the FR from my universals and my CIEM

fc604bca17c9f83bed0a06c9d01ceace.png

IMG_8155.jpeg

Thanks! The customs look great. Are they deep sea more like FatFreq or more shallow like FiR customs?

Appreciate the graph too!

Mar 28, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #84,844 of 87,745
Fair enough, and thanks for the reply. But isn't comparing Trifecta to Annihilator like comparing a Bentley cruiser to a Ferrari?

And also I'm not trying to call anyone out - I'm genuinely interested in what folks consider too 'fast' for Trifecta, so I can cue it up and compare it to my other IEMs. I'm currently doing a Trifecta deep dive, hence the question.
I listen to a lot of electronic music. Some Hardstyle songs, and keep in mind, i absolutely love the Trifecta, do not work on the this iem. This genre is notoriously fast and aggressive. I don't think anyone describes Trifecta bass as quick like BA. For example; I have a KR5 that handles this genre really well. I like my electronic music, so with this rotation, slow bass and quick bass is a non-issue for me. Rumble and slam galore

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #84,846 of 87,745
One more thing guys - any feedback on Craft Ears? I have a chat with them sometime soon as they're looking for some help in my skillset.

I know there was a lot of talk on the Omnium here a bit of time ago, but since haven't heard much.

I'd appreciate the feedback from those of you who've tried their other IEMs would be appreciated too!

I have Aurum and will be writing my review over the weekend - I’ve been very impressed, especially as now around four years old. It can get a bit spicy up top at times so I’m choosy with albums / genres, and needs a good bit of power to shine but for the most part they’ve absolutely exceeded expectations.

IMG_2100.jpeg

Mar 28, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #84,847 of 87,745
One more thing guys - any feedback on Craft Ears? I have a chat with them sometime soon as they're looking for some help in my skillset.

I know there was a lot of talk on the Omnium here a bit of time ago, but since haven't heard much.

I'd appreciate the feedback from those of you who've tried their other IEMs would be appreciated too!
We tried to get Omnium from them for our European Watercooler meetup but it stayed dead silent. So they missed getting into the spotlight at the event and in the dozen or so mini reviews on the Cooler directly after. That's not how you build a brand name. They clearly need you - no doubt about it. :xf_cool:

drftr

Mar 28, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #84,848 of 87,745
I have Aurum and will be writing my review over the weekend - I’ve been very impressed, especially as now around four years old. It can get a bit spicy up top at times so I’m choosy with albums / genres, and needs a good bit of power to shine but for the most part they’ve absolutely exceeded expectations.

IMG_2100.jpeg

I remember trying it years ago as well and being equally impressed.

Look forward to your review.

We tried to get Omnium from them for our European Watercooler meetup but it stayed dead silent. So they missed getting into the spotlight at the event and in the dozen or so mini reviews on the Cooler directly after. That's not how you build a brand name. They clearly need you - no doubt about it. :xf_cool:

drftr

I will do my best for the next one but no promises :)

Mar 28, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #84,849 of 87,745

drftr

Yes that was a significant missed opportunity!

Mar 28, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #84,850 of 87,745
keep me in the loop about when another eu meet happens and I will try to arrange as much as I can for yall!

Mar 28, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #84,851 of 87,745

drftr
I for some reason vaguely remember the founder of Craft Ears was active in the cooler thread? Otherwise, how did Jedrzej know you are just one of those scam emails?

Mar 28, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #84,852 of 87,745
I for some reason vaguely remember the founder of Craft Ears was active in the cooler thread? Otherwise, how did Jedrzej know you are just one of those scam emails?

Yes Jed has been quite active here, he usually drops off for a bit when they’re in hard crunch time or R&D.

Mar 28, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #84,855 of 87,745
Have you had a chance to hear Annihilator yet? Really curious to get your thoughts on it. I know our music preferences differ greatly but I still think you may quite like it.

Because my library consists of mostly cymbal laden, aggressive music, I typically shy away from treble heavy or treble leaning tunings. I also find V shaped tunings can often be problematic. Trifecta would likely be a love/hate relationship for me as well, music dependent. Even though there's substantial bass support, which to me is a key aspect in enjoying the music I listen to, if a treble is peaky or presents any metallic glare that quickly becomes fatiguing and has me scrambling to turn down the volume. As you say, the likes of Xe6, N8 (Nio, in my case) and other IEMs of a similar tuning / driver configuration are seemingly able to present a full low end foundation coupled with a present yet non piercing treble. To me, this ends up being the "goldilocks" zone for ~90% of my library.

Annihilator shouldn't appeal to me then, right? With it's omni present treble and "brighter" tuning philosophy. But, it's beguiling in the fact that its treble is free of perceptible peaks and smoother, yet still quite elevated, very detailed and able to cut through a well north of neutral low end. All with no glare, sibilance or harshness to boot. Really quite a feat, IMO. Annihilator has been the epitome of "a having your cake and eating too IEM" for me personally.
Not yet, but I should be getting ears on it in a couple of weeks. I can get a sense of what you mean by listening to other smooth treble IEMs, like Xe6, where's there's enough elevation but zero peaks. Whereas Trifecta takes a different approach with evenly spaced but quite steep peaks. If these hit right where my sensitivities are, at the same time as a cymbal crash for instance, it takes me right out of the music. Nothing triggers my tinnitus faster than sudden sharp treble.
Simon & Garfunkel - America
Simon & Garfunkel - A Poem on the Underground Wall

These are both soft tracks that get very fast and Trifecta kind of shouts everything out at you and it doesn’t sound cohesive and even a bit tizzy and unpleasantly sibilant to my ears. Bonneville is a better match for that kind of music.
Some of my favourite songs these, and both play exceptionally well with Trifecta to my ears. What Tri does with the hard panned drums is nuts - like having mini kick drums in your ears. There is a bit of hollowness in Simon's vocals, some sibilants too, but I put that down to the awful recording quality of the original tracks.
https://songwhip.com/bela-fleck/vertigo

Trifecta butchered this song. It couldn't really keep the main players focused on the stage. Guitar was ok, but the banjo was all over the place and the texture on the stand up bass became muddy and unintellegible.
Not sure what you're hearing here but sounds fine to me. I can imagine other IEMs play this quite differently though, which is probably what you're used to. It's amazing how different my own IEMs sound when switching between them with this track. Since it's the first time I've heard it, and heard it with Trifecta first, it sounds great to me (though tbf it's not the type of music I usually listen to - very quirky, feels a bit like the soundtrack to a Charlie Chaplin movie).
My current favorite tips are exactly these. They are the Acoustune AET07. Noble (and Aroma Audio) have them in a special color. There are also intermediate sizes at Aliexpress.
Yes, AET07 are one of my longtime favourites. Every time I want to refine the mids and treble, and push mids a bit forward, I switch to these. Super comfy too.
The theme of wonky treble (peaks) keeps coming up too and I can't help but wonder if TIPS are to blame here. Because I just don't hear it.
You've hit the nail here. The surest way to tame Trifecta's treble peaks is with tips. Cable can help too, but tips have the biggest effect ime. AET07 and AZLA MAX ASMR are both great. I have some Azla Origin arriving next week which I'm keen to try with Trifecta. They're meant to accentuate bass and attenuate treble, which sound like the right formula.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back