The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 28, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #84,871 of 87,777
Wondering what kind of setup you use to listen to specifically this music. I assume RS8 is involved, but...

What if we turned this into a somewhat philosophocal question: Does beauty always lie in simplicity?

My own answer would be a tweaked version of this: Beauty always lies in either simplicity or nature. An example would for instance be the compound eyes of many insects that by no means can be called simple.

bug-eye.png

drftr
I Am in the camp of beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It is not universal. Also a thing people say around here a lot. To each their own, ymmv, etc.

Mar 28, 2024 at 8:38 PM Post #84,873 of 87,777
So much talk of the mighty multi DDs in our ears! And they are incredibly capable drivers - poured together in the Trifecta, Monachaa or Quattro for that matter, they come together to form one of the most coherent sounds in iems. That excellence that sometimes occurs in single DD sets like Perpetua or Singularity goes bonkers when amped up with more of the same in these multi DD sets. But the drivers aren't the end of the conversation as they, like any others, can be manufactured and tuned differently depending on what the creator is looking for.

IMHO, Trifecta and Quattro are both unusual tunings which seems to add to their love/hate reaction in the forums. These tunings clearly prefer the bass side of the FR, and seem to be tuned bottom-up. And in both cases, I hear excellent treble that doesn't offend but isn't exactly the star of the show. Now Monachaa and Serial both have reasonably straightforward tunings that should be more widely appealing - they both try to achieve an all-arounder position. They aren't trying to give an unusual presentation with any part of the FR becoming the star.

Of these, Monachaa is, for me, a perfect all-arounder because its tuning is fun and its warm, deep bass is somehow equaled by its incredible treble detail - to me, I find this treble better than Anni (and frankly, so is the bass). This would be what I'd give a novice to try so they could hear a relatively normal tuning that will blow their socks off.

I've only just received Trifecta, so I am putting it through its paces. Like Quattro, Trifecta has an unusual tuning, but Trifecta's bass is far deeper and prominent, where Quattro goes for a slightly more balanced, but still bass heavy presentation. There's really no comparison between these two other than the DDs; they are tuned differently and have very different sounds. But both happen to have their own intoxicating sound that makes the hours wile away, makes you delay brushing your teeth, going to bed, etc.

Ultimately, different strokes for different folks, but so many awesome choices abound that we are the lucky ones getting to try and figure out what flavors appeal to each of us. Chocolate has always been tastier to me, but sometimes a smooth Vanilla can kill anything. Why try to box yourself in? Enjoy chocolate when you want and then have some vanilla when the mood strikes. Nothing wrong with liking multiple sound signatures either!

Mar 28, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #84,874 of 87,777
I compared them with one another here.

Trifecta has much deeper & more overpowering bass, a significantly larger soundstage and a number of treble peaks Quattro lacks. I found Trifecta is bolder, grander in scale but less smooth & warm than Quattro which is quite a bit more intimate.

Trifecta's tuning is more exciting but is marred by very slow drivers, whereas Quattro is more relaxed and encourages the listener to focus on tonality rather technicalities.
Also, Quattro's bass is pretty much neutral. I would have liked it to be a little more rumbling given that it has 2DD doing the service for bass. Quattro remains polite across the frequency spectrum. Have to shake it up with the dunu Blanche silver cable that brings tons of energy and see how the quattro shapes up.

Mar 28, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #84,875 of 87,777
Also, Quattro's bass is pretty much neutral. I would have liked it to be a little more rumbling given that it has 2DD doing the service for bass. Quattro remains polite across the frequency spectrum. Have to shake it up with the dunu Blanche silver cable that brings tons of energy and see how the quattro shapes up.
Yes, Quattro needs a good cable, it's finicky. I love the EA Code 24 with it, brings it to the realm of the others being discussed. Also, Monachaa is cable finicky...PWA FT and EA Ares 8w are great with it (but not much else do they work so well with).

With a better cable, that low end rumble becomes more prominent, while the midbass doesn't escalate as much. A very easy listen, to me at least.

It's the chifi attempt at something more like Trifecta than Monachaa.

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:01 AM Post #84,878 of 87,777
Would this be a good time to buy the Annihilator or is the new elysian flagship coming out soon?
Elysian has been working on a new flagship. That said, the Annihilator 2023 is without question one of the best in ear monitors ever, with timeless tuning and technical performance. Even with the advent of a new flagship, the Annihilator will hold its resale values because it exists in extremely limited qualities and its status within audiophile community is best described as legendary.

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:05 AM Post #84,879 of 87,777
Elysian has been working on a new flagship. That said, the Annihilator 2023 is without question one of the best in ear monitors ever, with timeless tuning and technical performance. Even with the advent of a new flagship, the Annihilator will hold its resale values because it exists in extremely limited qualities and its status within audiophile community is best described as legendary.
Elysian Labs Annihilator 2023 is a unicorn. It is an amazing iem. Think of it like an iphone. Even if a new iphone is released it does not diminish the quality of the previous model. Just like a new Elysian Labs does not reduce the value of the Anni 2023. It is a legendary iem. Would also ask that consider the impact of new toy syndrome and diminishing returns. Ask yourself how much do you need the new bells and whistles?

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:24 AM Post #84,880 of 87,777
Elysian Labs Annihilator 2023 is a unicorn. It is an amazing iem. Think of it like an iphone. Even if a new iphone is released it does not diminish the quality of the previous model. Just like a new Elysian Labs does not reduce the value of the Anni 2023. It is a legendary iem. Would also ask that consider the impact of new toy syndrome and diminishing returns. Ask yourself how much do you need the new bells and whistles?
Technically an excellent IEM. Wonder what it would be like as a hybrid with BCD. And wish it came with a better stock cable than the Liquid Links Martini. I’d assume it could be richer and even better. Perhaps they should partner with Eletech when they release their Versa P-ear connectors

Time will tell what the future holds. At the very top end, personal preference and aesthetics / synergy play a large part. Heck, even at the not top end.

IMG_1204.jpeg

More humbling listen this Easter Friday. I have the volume wheel set at 8 😆

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:29 AM Post #84,881 of 87,777
Technically an excellent IEM. Wonder what it would be like as a hybrid with BCD. And wish it came with a better stock cable than the Liquid Links Martini. I’d assume it could be richer and even better. Perhaps they should partner with Eletech when they release their Versa P-ear connectors

Time will tell what the future holds. At the very top end, personal preference and aesthetics / synergy play a large part. Heck, even at the not top end.

IMG_1204.jpeg

More humbling listen this Easter Friday. I have the volume wheel set at 8 😆
Happy Holy Week Water cooler. One can always hope. Not everything needs bone conduction though.

I have asked before for better cables and have been recommended the Fusion 1, others have recommended the liquid links venom. Hope that helps. Getting a hold of pentacon can be a bit difficult. However, the results are well worth it.

Top end is crazy. You can spend as much or as little on iems as you want these days. The thing is do you enjoy the items you currently have and the time you have with them? Hope you enjoy. Happy listening.

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #84,882 of 87,777
Happy Holy Week Water cooler. One can always hope. Not everything needs bone conduction though.

I have asked before for better cables and have been recommended the Fusion 1, others have recommended the liquid links venom. Hope that helps. Getting a hold of pentacon can be a bit difficult. However, the results are well worth it.

Top end is crazy. You can spend as much or as little on iems as you want these days. The thing is do you enjoy the items you currently have and the time you have with them? Hope you enjoy. Happy listening.
That’s the combo I went for, I’ll see if it’s better than stock and do som A/B testing, took a punt after reading up on it.

Also - :)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...ge-all-welcome.957426/page-4485#post-17780223

@Rockwell75 seemed to like the combo so thought it’s worth a try.

Mar 29, 2024 at 2:18 AM Post #84,884 of 87,777

The best iems are the ones in your ears!

Mar 29, 2024 at 2:42 AM Post #84,885 of 87,777
Interesting to see it that way, it has definitely have a lot of staying power, and it was mostly the iem that brought me back from my slumber after retiring form the u12t. I am hoping to have a considerably better experience with the Anni 23 than with my current small collection, U12t, Oracle mk1 and IE600, all of which perhaps have more sentimental value than what they go in todays market. The other consideration I had was getting back into headphones Atrium or Diana MR(I liked my v2s and they are comfortable on me). But as you mention, there will always be something new, so its a never ending journey unless you set boundaries. So after this, I am hoping I can "retire" for another couple of years

Users who are viewing this thread

Back