The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 28, 2024 at 2:32 AM Post #84,781 of 87,760
Can confirm. Ragnar is super airy. Almost up in an airplane level. It works amazing with certain types of music. I do believe " Airy force fed detail with a spoon." describes the Ragnar along with "Treble for days." Those make it special. I enjoyed the Ragnar, until the treble got to be too much. I will admit it is a good iem.
In my opinion, Ragnar only works with the right combination of cable (First Times, Orphy), tips (AET07, Symbio W (Peel)) and DAP (N30, M9+... NO N8ii) AND must be purchased in the Prestige Edition, as it is a little smoother. This is an IEM that I would buy again if I had the chance.

I think we are on the same page here and as usual it is a misunderstanding of words describing sound... forgive my ignorance but from my experience and limited knowledge in electronic music production, I would consider the placement of sounds on that stage to be "artificial" compared to naturally experiencing the space between instrument sounds occurring in a live venue or in a studio, even if the recordings are ultimately being mixed the same way. I'm aware not all electronic music is being produced exclusively in a DAW, but hopefully you get what I mean.
No problem, I now understand what you meant.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 2:36 AM Post #84,782 of 87,760
Can confirm. Ragnar is super airy. Almost up in an airplane level. It works amazing with certain types of music. I do believe " Airy force fed detail with a spoon." describes the Ragnar along with "Treble for days." Those make it special. I enjoyed the Ragnar, until the treble got to be too much. I will admit it is a good iem.

@Sifo What sort of music do you listen to? Could you give a couple of song recommendations?
Right I agree with this assessment as well, which at least to me perfectly fits what the OP was asking for when they described the criteria.

I listen to way too much stuff, not all of it is well produced. Clockup Flowers by Shibayan Records is one of my favourite vocal electronic pieces and is also one of my sibilance tests lol.

I'd say these days a primarily listener of metal, j-pop/rock, vocal ballads... occasionally orchestral stuff but more sound tracks rather than classical.

In my opinion, Ragnar only works with the right combination of cable (First Times, Orphy), tips (AET07, Symbio W (Peel)) and DAP (N30, M9+... NO SP3000) AND must be purchased in the Prestige Edition, as it is a little smoother. This is an IEM that I would buy again if I had the chance.

No problem, I now understand what you meant.
I have no doubt the prestige version would be more up my alley but I haven't had a chance to hear it yet :frowning2:

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 2:37 AM Post #84,783 of 87,760
Not sure what you mean by technicalities or under what circumstances you listened to the Trifectas, or with what chain, but I have listened to and/or owned most of the TOTL flagships over the past 5 years and I can attest to their technical prowess. Perhaps you mean "perceived resolution" which the Trifectas approach differently than all-BA or Harmon-tuned or treble-reliant sets that try to create the illusion of detail. But TECHNICALLY, there is very little that is superior to the Trifectas, by which I mean, sound-stage expansion, 3D holography, separation (without being fake, unreal, unnatural "etched" separation), imaging (with the same caveats), depth and layering, timbre, and I could go on. I am not trying to say you don't hear what you hear, just that your statement seems hard for me to reconcile with my experience with the Trifectas in terms of the definition of the term "technical" as you seem to be using it.

Okay but are you suggesting BC increases technicalities? Why/how would bone conduction as a technology do that? Wouldn't that depend more on how it's deployed? On the role it's given within the FR reproduction? Personally, to my ears, having three DDs in the Trifectas, or 4 as in the Monachaas, give you the chance to radically expand the stage size and the layering more so than BC being added to mix. As for "imaging,' I'll never understand why Trifecta isn't in that conversation. I think a certain hyper-real, unnatural delineation of sound cues has masqueraded as detail and imaging for while, brought on by the over-use of BA drivers and upper-mid-centric tunings. Then the assumption becomes that if a set doesn't have the same "level" of those aspects, it's not as 'technical.'

I invite you to listen to my Trifectas through the simple DC-Elite and explain to me how that bass is fuzzy. Compared to the darling Anni 23, the Trifecta's bass is much more layered, textured and resolving. And as for unbalanced, I have never heard a set present a more coherent, balanced musical experience. Clearly your mileage varied greatly from this but I feel compelled to counter these pronouncements with my own.

Great post. Honestly "technicalities" is a mostly meaningless umbrella term that can mean any number of things depending on what the person who is using it happens to fixate on. By most metrics, meaning just about everything except raw top-end articulation, Trifecta is actually a technical powerhouse. As you point out here it's really a lot more technical than it's often given credit for.

Ok let's get down to brass tacks. Can someone please provide an example or two of tracks which, when played on Trifecta, lose out in detail/pace to 'normal' IEMs? The treble peaks are well documented and quite easily mitigated (a tip swap will do it), but I'm curious which music is being described as too fast for Trifecta. I personally quite like it with EDM, which is one of the genres often used as a stick to beat Trifecta with. 🤷🏻

Speed is another cricticism of this IEM that I feel has been not a little bit overblown. Trifecta can get overwhelmed sometimes with really busy sections in orchestral pieces, or in certain types of EDM (another somewhat meaninglessly broad term) or other music that requires a lot of articulation up top. I listen to a pretty broad array of music and driver speed has never cropped up as an issue for me. On the contrary it's what gives the IEM a lot of its characteristic analogue fullness and body. BA IEMs often sound plastic, insubstantial and excessively thin to me coming right from the Trifecta.

All of that said I suppose this IEM is doomed to always be something of a firebrand in the audio community-- though to an extent that does admittedly puzzle me somewhat. I get that not everyone will love, or even like it, but I'm continually surprised at the vehemence with which some dismiss it. I can't help but wonder, as with the Xe6 before it, that many who despise it off the cuff may come to appreciate it more following repeated demos and more time. In any case IMHO the Trifecta has decidedly and unequivocally earned its place in the current pantheon of TOTL offerings. At the end of the day my greatest wish for anyone in this hobby is that they eventually come across an IEM that makes them as happy as the CFA Trifecta makes me.

In other news for "artificially stretched out stage" my vote would go to the 64 Fourte.

As with all and everything in this predominantly subjective hobby, YMMV and all that.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 3:05 AM Post #84,784 of 87,760
Anybody ever heard or bought from this online shop?
https://www.muzix.eu/de/iBasso-Audi...Bluetooth-5-0-WiFi-5G-32bit-768kHz-DSD512-MQA

They are saying they have the DX 320 Max Ti i stock but I've never heard of them and I'm not trying to get scammed out of 3k €.
They are referenced as official iBasso distributor on their website https://ibasso.com/where-to-buy/ , look under Europe/Hungary
It doesn't hurt to call them and ask for a picture of the device and pay with PayPal also

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:39 AM Post #84,785 of 87,760
As a big fan of the Traillii, I got to demo the Monachaa some weeks ago and knew right away it needs to be part of my collection. Big thanks to Andrew from MusicTeck for making this happen. I'd like to share my impressions as I noticed that the Monachaa seems to be quite overlooked based on the little amount of reviews and impressions here.

1.jpg

The Monachaa is a W-shaped iem with focus on the midrange, which is prominently elevated, drawing a delightful parallel to the revered Odin. This elevation in the mids ensures that vocals and lead instruments are rendered with exceptional clarity and rich texture, making them the centerpiece of any track. In this aspect it is also capable to extract the rawness and angelic timbre of female vocals, which very little IEMs can do. This quality reminded me of the Raal SR1a.

However, unlike the Odin, the Monachaa takes a bit more subdued approach to the upper mids, mitigating potential harshness without sacrificing detail. This ensures a listening experience that is detailed and vibrant, yet making long listening sessions a pleasure rather than a fatigue-inducing endeavor.

1711610515751.png

The sub-bass, on the other hand, is distinctively elevated but reserved for the very low registers. This approach provides a solid foundation that adds depth and realism to the sound like a subwoofer, and it counterbalances the brighter upper registers. The result is a sound that feels full-bodied and expansive, without overshadowing the midrange and also without sacrificing any of the insane details. Furthermore, the bass exhibits a really pleasing texture and decay, as one would anticipate from a high-end dynamic driver. But it is by no means a bass-head iem, but for sure will please everyone that likes bass quality.

2.jpg

Treble extension is another area where the Oriolus Monachaa excels. The treble reaches into the higher frequencies with remarkable control and finesse, contributing to an airy, open and very holographic soundstage. The extended treble, in concert with the detailed upper mids, injects energy and sparkle into the music, offering an engaging and dynamic listening experience while still keeping the organic timbre provided by the 4 DDs.

The Monachaa's purple and gold look is eye-catching. It is shaped a lot like the Traillii and is about the same size too. I usually have trouble finding iems that fit well, so I can't comment much on that. I'm going to get custom tips, but having a really good seal is key for the Monachaa to keep the bass present, as losing a little bit of bass due to seal issues can really tilt the overall tonal balance, more than with any other iem.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Final thoughts:

The Monachaa is an incredible clarity focused iem at an extremley competitive price point. It's a versatile choice for various musical genres. The careful attenuation of the upper mids and treble ensures excitement and detail that audiophiles crave without the downside of listener fatigue. This is my second Oriolus iem that I have heard. I believe it's entirely accurate to say that Oriolus excels and exhibits great caution in their tuning choices. Everything appears flawlessly balanced within the borders of the overall tuning direction selected for each specific product.

The Monachaa is an invitation to rediscover your music collection, something I'm thoroughly enjoying atm :)

Mar 28, 2024 at 5:29 AM Post #84,786 of 87,760
Maybe it was a confusion between Anni and Diva, Diva has BA bass.
Yup, my bad. I still stand by what I said, I wasn't a fan of Anni's low end.
It might be as I only had it for a few days before I sold it on. I have read about people saying that the bass performance improved greatly after a few days of use.

Mar 28, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #84,787 of 87,760
What is the absolute best pairing of a source you have had with either an iem or headphones?
Don't have an absolute as it seems to shirt with the times! Right now what has my heart is DMP-Z1 x Arya Organic. :gs1000smile: :darthsmile:

Mar 28, 2024 at 5:38 AM Post #84,788 of 87,760
Speed is another cricticism of this IEM that I feel has been not a little bit overblown.
I agree..for me the treble tuning becomes an issue long before speed. Maybe it's just because I don't listen to fast or aggressive music, but those that do still haven't posted a single example of where Trifecta's speed is insufficient. As such, I'm stumped.

Mar 28, 2024 at 5:45 AM Post #84,789 of 87,760
Ok let's get down to brass tacks. Can someone please provide an example or two of tracks which, when played on Trifecta, lose out in detail/pace to 'normal' IEMs? The treble peaks are well documented and quite easily mitigated (a tip swap will do it), but I'm curious which music is being described as too fast for Trifecta. I personally quite like it with EDM, which is one of the genres often used as a stick to beat Trifecta with. 🤷🏻
I (obviously) do not have a Trifecta of my own to be able to quickly give you a few tracks a/b'ed with my other IEMs, and it's a little while now since I heard it so I don't recall exactly what I listened to. But I did jot down some notes at the time, and posted it here:
Upper mids and treble however were very disappointing, especially for a 3k+ asking price, I felt some vocals and percussion details to be smeared over and wallowing behind that wall of bass. Stage was also kind of odd, on some tracks it was tall and wide enough, but lacking in depth and centre imaging. A very fun IEM to be sure, but CFA are asking quite a lot for a one-trick pony like this.
That was May of 2023, and I think my commentary on this IEM has been pretty consistent ever since.

Part of me really wants to like Trifecta, but then the other part looks at the price tag and remembers what an IEM like Annihilator can do far more consistently.

Mar 28, 2024 at 5:53 AM Post #84,790 of 87,760
I (obviously) do not have a Trifecta of my own to be able to quickly give you a few tracks a/b'ed with my other IEMs, and it's a little while now since I heard it so I don't recall exactly what I listened to. But I did jot down some notes at the time, and posted it here:

That was May of 2023, and I think my commentary on this IEM has been pretty consistent ever since.

Part of me really wants to like Trifecta, but then the other part looks at the price tag and remembers what an IEM like Annihilator can do far more consistently.
I felt 100% the same way and in my opinion that's totally fine. After all, everyone has their own perceptions and expectations.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 6:18 AM Post #84,791 of 87,760
Fair enough, and thanks for the reply. But isn't comparing Trifecta to Annihilator like comparing a Bentley cruiser to a Ferrari?

And also I'm not trying to call anyone out - I'm genuinely interested in what folks consider too 'fast' for Trifecta, so I can cue it up and compare it to my other IEMs. I'm currently doing a Trifecta deep dive, hence the question.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 6:38 AM Post #84,792 of 87,760
In my opinion, Ragnar only works with the right combination of cable (First Times, Orphy), tips (AET07, Symbio W (Peel)) and DAP (N30, M9+... NO SP3000 or N8ii) AND must be purchased in the Prestige Edition, as it is a little smoother. This is an IEM that I would buy again if I had the chance.

Hi @phiemon
I have to kindly disagree with your assessment that the Ragnar/SP3000 combination is unsuitable, because in my opinion the SP3000 tones down the treble range quite slightly, while still retaining the extension in the highs and overall tends to make Ragnar sound more homogeneous. I would particularly recommend the Ragnar/SP3000 combo.
This shows once again how different our subjective hearing sensations are.

Mar 28, 2024 at 6:40 AM Post #84,793 of 87,760
Hi @phiemon
I have to kindly disagree with your assessment that the Ragnar/SP3000 combination is unsuitable, because in my opinion the SP3000 tones down the treble range quite slightly, while still retaining the extension in the highs and overall tends to make Ragnar sound more homogeneous. I would particularly recommend the Ragnar/SP3000 combo.
This shows once again how different our subjective hearing sensations are.
Yes, I have to admit that my comment was a bit hasty. It was quite early this morning and I wasn't fully awake yet. You're right 🙏🏻. I'll change it. But the N8ii was indeed too bright for me.

Mar 28, 2024 at 6:45 AM Post #84,794 of 87,760
Fair enough, and thanks for the reply. But isn't comparing Trifecta to Annihilator like comparing a Bentley cruiser to a Ferrari?

And also I'm not trying to call anyone out - I'm genuinely interested in what folks consider too 'fast' for Trifecta, so I can cue it up and compare it to my toget IEMs. I'm currently doing a Trifecta deep dive, hence the question.

A lot of earlier Bloc Party stuff (their first album, ep) sounds super wonky with Trifecta.

Mar 28, 2024 at 6:46 AM Post #84,795 of 87,760

And also I'm not trying to call anyone out - I'm genuinely interested in what folks consider too 'fast' for Trifecta, so I can cue it up and compare it to my toget IEMs. I'm currently doing a Trifecta deep dive, hence the question.

2:18 - 3:15, not directed towards Trifecta itself but I tend to find IEMs that are “slower” don’t play this back well to my ears.

Pretty much the entire first 42 seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back