The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 8, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #83,146 of 89,224
Journey begins…at the airport awaiting my first flight of the day. See you soon NYC.

IMG_0489.jpeg

Mar 8, 2024 at 7:58 AM Post #83,148 of 89,224
Hopefully with less challenges than last time!

drftr

I have one tight connection but the rest should be smooth. I consciously avoided Pearson airport in Toronto so odds are in my favor for a smooth day.

Mar 8, 2024 at 8:00 AM Post #83,149 of 89,224
Heading to NYC in an hour.
Sitting in my studio having my tea.
Listening to this really fantastic jazz album.

IMG_3564.jpeg

Javier Rodriguez and others.

Mar 8, 2024 at 8:33 AM Post #83,152 of 89,224
I spent the last two weeks with some of the sets that will be available at MusicTeck’s booth in NYC this weekend. First I should clarify that I have a sensitivity to treble, and when it is triggered; a set to me sounds completely incoherent and I cannot hear past it. Not wanting to rain on anyone’s new found love so keep that in mind. Many of the sets were not all that listenable for me varying from immediate fatigue to a couple hour in fatigue or genre based fatigue. There were some surprises for me. This has nothing to do with driver types or cost, I do like sets with all different kinds of combinations. Please do not get too upset with me as I partially break with the raving comments about some of these sets. One of these sets is no longer available though I wanted to hear it loving the fibae5 as I do, the PMG APX.

The DAP I used was my P6Pro.

Also maintained the stock cables and my standard tips. I did get an excellent seal on all of them.

Here is how I would rank these
from best to worst.

UM Soleil
Canpur CP622B
DITA Perpetua
Canpur CP54E
Aroma Fei Wan
PMG AXP
Oriolus Monachaa
VE V10

UM Soleil I did an ABCD session with the OG FS (the blue one), the Trifecta, and the Canpur CP622B, I found the Canpur to be no match to any of these because of the forward and higher energy treble and did experience fatigue with it though only after a few hours and particularly with flute notes. I found the detail excellent on the Canpur set too much actually, as for example the intentional hiss in the track Ideal Women by Celeste was too elevated, no idea if that is how it is supposed to be, though I preferred the lower energy of the other three sets that diminished that hiss. I found the two Masons very close to each other and definitely heard more BC effect from the Soleil it was only when I AB’d them that I realized that for me it is not enough to justify a change out. I listened to Haken Invasion and for this track Trifecta was the hands down the winner. On the other tracks the UM and Trifecta were different enough and equally enjoyable, so a three way tie.

DITA Perpetua
Not much here very light touch, no sibilance.
I like the construction, these things feel built to last. Neutral very coherent. Not fatiguing in the least.

The other sets on the list above below Perpetua all had hot treble to my hearing. And the ranking is representing how short a time I could handle that in large part. I was also bothered by the hiss on the VE V10, that hiss moved the set to the bottom.

I have more notes on these sets then I put forward here so if you want more about how I heard them please PM me. Just because I could not get past the treble on some of these sets does not mean they are not amazing, if you like sets with lots of treble detail one of these could be a great acquisition.

Thank you to Andrew of MusicTeck letting me borrow these sets. I wanted to get up to speed as I am sure we will be quite busy at his tables in NYC this weekend, I am once again going to be helping out.

Great impressions! I concur with much of what you’ve written, with most differences being chalked up to sourcc most likely. I’ve spent substantial time with all of those except the UM and the APX and feel Trifecta holds its own exceptionally with all of them. Stoked to finally be able to thank Ken Ball for that in person this weekend :)

Mar 8, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #83,154 of 89,224
I hope I'm not overstepping as a rookie Cooler but...is there a plan to meet up at some point in NYC? It's always nice to meet people in person that you've interacted with.

Mar 8, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #83,155 of 89,224
I hope I'm not overstepping as a rookie Cooler but...is there a plan to meet up at some point in NYC? It's always nice to meet people in person that you've interacted with.
Head over to the Marriott this weekend and you can meet a bunch of them! :)

Mar 8, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #83,157 of 89,224
I remembered to pack everything but my watercooler badge which I even placed on my desk last night to remind myself. Sorry I let y'all down 😢
I know how you feel as I didn't have one in Singapore. It has been a stain on my life ever since and I may never fully recover the doctors say. 😅

The good news is that you are the archetypal Watercooler friend, so once they've met you they will never ever forget. And that's in the best possible way as I can certainly attest. 🥰

drftr

Mar 8, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #83,158 of 89,224
UM Soleil

UM Soleil I did an ABCD session with the OG FS (the blue one), the Trifecta, and the Canpur CP622B, I found the Canpur to be no match to any of these because of the forward and higher energy treble and did experience fatigue with it though only after a few hours and particularly with flute notes. I found the detail excellent on the Canpur set too much actually, as for example the intentional hiss in the track Ideal Women by Celeste was too elevated, no idea if that is how it is supposed to be, though I preferred the lower energy of the other three sets that diminished that hiss. I found the two Masons very close to each other and definitely heard more BC effect from the Soleil it was only when I AB’d them that I realized that for me it is not enough to justify a change out. I listened to Haken Invasion and for this track Trifecta was the hands down the winner. On the other tracks the UM and Trifecta were different enough and equally enjoyable, so a three way tie.

I was on the fence on how I felt about the UM Soleil, which I had only paired with n30le ap. However, I had a completely different experience after trying it on the P6P that arrived this week. The pairing was near perfect for me vs the N30LE.

Mar 8, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #83,159 of 89,224
I remembered to pack everything but my watercooler badge which I even placed on my desk last night to remind myself. Sorry I let y'all down 😢
I'm worse. @HiFiHawaii808 has mine because I misplaced it while moving states. Had to get a new one made. Inclined to make a paper one for the interim just so he recognizes me to hand me the new one.

Mar 8, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #83,160 of 89,224
I'm worse. @HiFiHawaii808 has mine because I misplaced it while moving states. Had to get a new one made. Inclined to make a paper one for the interim just so he recognizes me to hand me the new one.
Should you miss him this weekend then he might be kidnapped by "us Europeans" and put in a manual labour camp to produce awesome tags for our A'dam meetup. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

(@HiFiHawaii808 We do have midnight satay over here...)

drftr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back