The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 5, 2024 at 8:08 AM Post #76,907 of 89,827
I can very much recommend everything Brian Blade releases! :)

Looking at the track list I can see quite a few that are >7 minutes, I’m a sucker for longer tracks that evolve and expand. Quite common in electronic music and always love when I encounter in non-electronic music, Yo La Tengo used to have epic tracks on some of their earlier albums - oh and ‘Cop Shoot Cop’ by Spiritualized is another gem at over 16 minutes!

Bit of trivia - Blue Room by The Orb which runs for over 39 minutes is the longest single ever in the UK charts.

Jan 5, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #76,908 of 89,827
Looking at the track list I can see quite a few that are >7 minutes, I’m a sucker for longer tracks that evolve and expand. Quite common in electronic music and always love when I encounter in non-electronic music, Yo La Tengo used to have epic tracks on some of their earlier albums - oh and ‘Cop Shoot Cop’ by Spiritualized is another gem at over 16 minutes!

Bit of trivia - Blue Room by The Orb which runs for over 39 minutes is the longest single ever in the UK charts.
Oh you gotta look into Jazz and Prog more, longer songs are quite common there! :) For another exquisite Brian Blade album I recommend "Landmarks" and he also played drums in the Wayne Shorter Quartett, where I can of course recommend every album, but especially "Without A Net".

Jan 5, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #76,909 of 89,827
Thank you for your impressions!

It was very hard not to comment all this story in the EE thread in order to not heat it up more unnecessarily while all those production problems were arising - glad that this whole thing has come to its end! 🙂

From what you have described it looks like the final product became what one could call a revised update on the Odyssey project. Which is also a good thing by the way.

Though I wish they would stick withe last pre-final tuning which was described as more of L-shaped but without overshadowing mids or treble.
I believe that an updated EVO with bass having more quality, lower and upper mids being more even and treble not rolled off would be a true banger.
Having moved from EVO to Raven, this is how I'm hearing Raven actually. The bass is slightly less with more balanced mids and an extended treble. Bass can be made to match EVO through tips and DAP settings. It's banging in my ears now with the dynamics plug in in RS8.

Jan 5, 2024 at 8:24 AM Post #76,910 of 89,827
Oh you gotta look into Jazz and Prog more, longer songs are quite common there! :) For another exquisite Brian Blade album I recommend "Landmarks" and he also played drums in the Wayne Shorter Quartett, where I can of course recommend every album, but especially "Without A Net".

Great thank you, I’ll add to the list for tonight.

Jan 5, 2024 at 8:33 AM Post #76,911 of 89,827
Jan 5, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #76,912 of 89,827
I’ve been curious about this one for a while, it gets a lot of high praise and arguably one of the most talked about single DDs from 2023.

Edit: added name!

Simgot EA1000

IMG_9914.jpeg

IMG_9915.jpeg

IMG_9916.jpeg

IMG_9918.jpeg

IMG_9922.jpeg

IMG_9920.jpeg

This is with a separate upgrade modular cable - it comes with a 3.5mm stock cable only.

IMG_9929.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 5, 2024 at 8:52 AM Post #76,913 of 89,827
I’ve been curious about this one for a while, it gets a lot of high praise and arguably one of the most talked about single DDs from 2023.

This is with a separate upgrade modular cable - it comes with a 3.5mm stock cable only.

After skipping it initially during the 11/11 sale, I bought it after Christmas. I look forward to comparing it with the Timsok I recently purchased. I expect the Timsok to sound better and believe it to be a step-up as I would guess you would agree.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #76,914 of 89,827
Every DMPZ1 owner should have a Utopia and every Utopia owner should have a DMPZ1.

IMG_7238.jpeg

The synergy is off the charts. 📈
Every Utopia owner should have a custom 4.4 cable and dispose the stock cables 👻

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #76,915 of 89,827

The reference to Fermat's Last Theorem seems so hilarous and random to me.

For reference I took a look at the results from this year's "Desert Island Survey" and pulled out the single DDs. Following are the single DDs that are the most popular in this community (using this particular survey as a reference anyway):

Dita Perpetua
NightJar Singularity
Sennheiser IE900
Softears Turii/Ti
Campfire Cascara
Final A8000
Final E5000
Sennheiser IE600
Acoustune Sho
Beyerdynamic Xelento
634 Ears Miroak-ii
Final A5000
Meze Advar
Simgot EA1000
Rhapsodio Eden
Dita Dream
JVC FDX1
Oriolus Isabellae
Timsok TS-316

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #76,916 of 89,827

IMG_9914.jpeg

IMG_9915.jpeg

IMG_9916.jpeg

IMG_9918.jpeg

IMG_9922.jpeg

IMG_9920.jpeg

IMG_9929.jpeg
The packing on this remarkable. Looks appealing in its own right!

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #76,917 of 89,827
Jan 5, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #76,918 of 89,827
Just some more 622b thoughts as I get more time with them..

I’d say the hype around these is justified. I’d consider this a top 3 IEM available right now regardless of price point. In terms of sheer capabilities and tuning the value proposition here even at MSRP is pretty damn good.

I am struggling a bit with them though and I cannot pinpoint why. When I listen to them I hear amazing bass mids and treble, but there’s something going on that’s making it difficult for me to hear them sort of play “as one” and make everything feel harmonious and musical. I do feel the timbre still has a slight dryness to it and transients/note edges almost feel a bit too revealing for me. Maybe that’s why I’m struggling to emotionally connect to them? I’ll keep exploring and see what happens. Sometimes I think they’re damn incredible and sometimes I feel like I’m listening to the drivers and not the music, there’s some magic pixie dust missing.

Whatever is (or isn’t) happening mentally isn’t stopping me from thinking “damn these are good IEMs” but it’s stopping me from thinking “damn these are good IEMs and that’s what I want to listen to”

We’ll see how this unfolds with more time 🍺

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #76,919 of 89,827
The reference to Fermat's Last Theorem seems so hilarous and random to me.

For reference I took a look at the results from this year's "Desert Island Survey" and pulled out the single DDs. Following are the single DDs that are the most popular in this community (using this particular survey as a reference anyway):

Dita Perpetua
NightJar Singularity
Sennheiser IE900
Softears Turii/Ti
Campfire Cascara
Final A8000
Final E5000
Sennheiser IE600
Acoustune Sho
Beyerdynamic Xelento
634 Ears Miroak-ii
Final A5000
Meze Advar
Simgot EA1000
Rhapsodio Eden
Dita Dream
JVC FDX1
Oriolus Isabellae
Timsok TS-316

Yes a bit random alright but I know the marketing blurb covers it in some way.

By the way, I should have further qualified the ‘most talked about’ statement by adding outside of the Watercooler - I see the EA1000 often discussed in The Discovery Thread and various Facebook audio groups.

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #76,920 of 89,827
By the way, I should have further qualified the ‘most talked about’ statement by adding outside of the Watercooler - I see the EA1000 often discussed in The Discovery Thread and various Facebook audio groups.

Yes I figured that's what you meant...I was just trying to be helpful. FYI I did a survey in the Discovery thread similar to ours and shared the results here. Scroll down to the "Desert Island IEMs" section. The EA1000 is indeed well represented.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back