The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 30, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #76,081 of 89,889
i look forward to your list! Thank you for the kind words, it's my first year here and y'all rule.

It's just a chart maker! i have some of these on vinyl though, not as many as i would like since space is sort of an issue for me at the moment.

https://www.neverendingchartrendering.org/ will pull from last.fm too
Thank you for the link and you have a great taste 😉
That chart maker is cool too 😁

Dec 30, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #76,082 of 89,889
It should be a requirement for graduating high school. I think it is easier to make $1M than to get admitted into Harvard. You just need to know what to do and have someone good to learn from. Certainly, not everyone can do it. You need a combination of grit, hard work, good judgment and luck. But, a lot more people can do it than even try mostly due to fear of failure.
"Excellence is never an accident

It is the result of high intention, sincere effort & intelligent execution. It represents the wisest choice among many alternatives. Choice, not chance, determines your destiny, dreams & values"

Aristotle

Dec 30, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #76,083 of 89,889
Rose Technics Quiet Sea.
$49.99 @ Amazon or Hifi Go
A very very fine single DD IEM.
Very balanced sound
Not for baseheads, but they won't care because this is a Very Musical IEM

Dec 30, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #76,084 of 89,889
Audio guys: The price of IEMs is getting insane.

Horologists: Hold my beer

🤭

Simple 5968 Aquanaut

400103665517370074_n.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #76,086 of 89,889
Here’s a weekend survey question I don’t think we’ve done before: What did you sleep on/resist for far too long only for it to become an indispensable part of your life? As a twist give both audio and non audio examples if you want.

While catching up with hundreds of posts I missed in Watercooler over the last few days, this one caught my attention :)

Some might not be aware, but for me it was starting twister6 review site at the end of 2016. Head-fi has always been and still is my home base for sharing reviews and having after-review discussions. I joined this community 10 years ago and started to share my reviews right away, but never thought about expanding beyond that until I was contacted by THL team in 2016, asking me if I would like to join TheHeadphoneList site. I did, published a few reviews, but to my surprise got messages from a few head-fiers (and even some manufacturers) asking me why don't I start my own review site instead. Back then, new review sites were popping up daily, with some for all the wrong reasons just to score "freebies". I cared more about the reputation of my name and my work, took some time to convince myself while also figuring out how WordPress site hosting works, and decided to go ahead and start a review site under my HF screenname instead of a generic made-up name. And the rest is history :)

Dec 31, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #76,087 of 89,889
While catching up with hundreds of posts I missed in Watercooler over the last few days, this one caught my attention :)

Some might not be aware, but for me it was starting twister6 review site at the end of 2016. Head-fi has always been and still is my home base for sharing reviews and having after-review discussions. I joined this community 10 years ago and started to share my reviews right away, but never thought about expanding beyond that until I was contacted by THL team in 2016, asking me if I would like to join TheHeadphoneList site. I did, published a few reviews, but to my surprise got messages from a few head-fiers (and even some manufacturers) asking me why don't I start my own review site instead. Back then, new review sites were popping up daily, with some for all the wrong reasons just to score "freebies". I cared more about the reputation of my name and my work, took some time to convince myself while also figuring out how WordPress site hosting works, and decided to go ahead and start a review site under my HF screenname instead of a generic made-up name. And the rest is history :)

Cheers and thanks for sharing!

PS - glad you chimed in to the IEM of the year survey.

Dec 31, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #76,088 of 89,889
Rose Technics Quiet Sea.
$49.99 @ Amazon or Hifi Go
A very very fine single DD IEM.
Very balanced sound
Not for baseheads, but they won't care because this is a Very Musical IEM
best price to sound quality ratio of 2023, LOVE THIS SET

Dec 31, 2023 at 12:51 AM Post #76,089 of 89,889
Ahh, I forgot about those. :D I’ve actually loved a lot of the A&K anime collabs at e-earphone. Some of the purple and gold ones look really neat, especially with the intricate engravings on the back.

1703943985056.jpeg
I managed to avoid all of those because *shudder* battery life. If I managed to stay sane from a Hanakana collab.

Now Sony on the other hand.

Dec 31, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #76,090 of 89,889
Ahh, I forgot about those. :D I’ve actually loved a lot of the A&K anime collabs at e-earphone. Some of the purple and gold ones look really neat, especially with the intricate engravings on the back.

1703943985056.jpeg
I'm literally still here waiting for the SR35 Fate collab without Sakura on it.

I seen those im@s ones, they almost got me with the colour alone.

Dec 31, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #76,091 of 89,889
Here’s a weekend survey question I don’t think we’ve done before: What did you sleep on/resist for far too long only for it to become an indispensable part of your life? As a twist give both audio and non audio examples if you want.
Well initially this is going to seem pretty silly, but hopefully I can bring it home.

For me, it was the Harry Potter novels. All the rage when they came out; everyone was talking about them, they were everywhere and I would see the novels in every bookstore and costco I visited. They just looked...childish to me. I'm a big fantasy & sci fi reader, but I was absolutely not going to read this silly kids book. I think she was 4 books in when I read the first one. I immediately read the next three and really enjoyed the series.

So my answer isn't because these books became an indispensable part of my life, but I learned a lesson that I've never forgotten: when something is mainstream popular there is often a good reason. I would resist things like this for no other reason than everyone else overhyped them. Thus, I missed out on some good stuff. I try to be much more balanced and open to everything, including audio. I'll try the obscure rarity that someone recommends, but I'll also try that mainstream iem or headphone that gets hype. Why not? It's helped me discover my preferences and be more open to ideas.

Dec 31, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #76,092 of 89,889

I'm amazed that you find time with your job, family etc to hear the DAPs and iems and write a detailed review. Keep up with your reviews.

Dec 31, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #76,093 of 89,889
It looks gorgeous @Sifo ! Yeah… the FitEar customs are a great example that implementation is key to how an IEM sounds. So happy for you! 🤗
‘Something about Japanese CIEMs, man… FitEar, Kumitate, Sony JustEar… there’s a timeless quality to them all. ‘Can’t wait to go back there in a week!

I managed to avoid all of those because *shudder* battery life. If I managed to stay sane from a Hanakana collab.

Now Sony on the other hand.
The AK70 is such an underrated player. I kinda dismissed it at first, but then I tried one… the portability, and the crazy-musical sound… I sold my “higher-end” AK100ii immediately to get it. Basically, the higher-end isn’t always better point from my beginner’s mistakes list realized. I rolled with it for a while and even got it modded by Ryuzoh at MST Technologies during one of my Japan trips. It’s sat in a drawer ever since I got my modded WM1A and LPGT, but I’ll always cherish the times I spent with it.

Dec 31, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #76,094 of 89,889
It should be a requirement for graduating high school. I think it is easier to make $1M than to get admitted into Harvard. You just need to know what to do and have someone good to learn from. Certainly, not everyone can do it. You need a combination of grit, hard work, good judgment and luck. But, a lot more people can do it than even try mostly due to fear of failure.
+1 and well-put. It is easier to make a mill than get into Harvard.

Nice history. Appreciated reading it.

As good a time as any to reflect on the journey so far, whether as a consumer or a consumer + content creator (although I know the lines aren’t black and white), especially after a magical year of high-end releases.

What a year it has been for portable audio!

Happy New Year everyone and hope you all have a blessed 2024 full of good health, prosperity, and above all, peace.

Dec 31, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #76,095 of 89,889
+1 and well-put. It is easier to make a mill than get into Harvard.

It's much easier to spend a mil, which would be my kind of goal. :]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back