The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 30, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #76,051 of 89,278
Just gonna leave this here…

IMG_9357.jpeg

Dec 30, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #76,052 of 89,278
Yes cable differences can be subtle, however the Orpheus is insane. It's night and day. It's by far the biggest change I've ever experienced with a cable. Agree with everything you said.

I just got the orpheus and my only regret is not being able to try it with the annihilator 2023. However, don't sleep on the centurion with it! I also really like it with the UM AP and the Rhapsodio Supv3. I've only used it for a ~4hrs today, but it is becoming my favorite cable that I own (centurion, chiron nova, horus octa, some other stock ones).

My problem with cables is how $ they are and it's easy to be biased towards EA for the conx kit.

Dec 30, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #76,053 of 89,278
Dec 30, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #76,054 of 89,278
Dec 30, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #76,055 of 89,278
Dec 30, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #76,056 of 89,278
There are a lot of really knowledgeable and interesting people here. What if you were to create a YT channel or medium blog that was sourced from volunteers from this thread? Some ideas that I would personally have interest in watching or reading...

1) How do you review IEMs? Panel to debate words that are used to describe what you hear. I remember a few weeks ago, there was several replies about the definition of "SLAM".

2) Demo playlist and what someone looks for in specific songs

3) What is the perfect mobile setup for travelers vs office workers or wfh

If you aren't in it for the $, then there is low pressure to produce content weekly, which IMO leads to low quality material.

My interest level in anything like this right now is firmly in the negative. This thread and community has grown and thrived beyond my wildest hopes to come to the point that it is right now. I feel like there's a delicate balance of a number of factors at play and I'd hate to do anything to destabilize it. There is a tremendous confluence of people, activity, attention and above all trust here and I well understand the mindset that sees this as a golden opportunity ripe for expansion and growth. However at present I can't conceive of a way to capitalize on this that doesn't at the same time jeopardize the very factors that make it what it is and and that presently contribute to it being both sustainable and thriving. Furthermore, I do appreciate that this thread is something that doesn't really call attention to itself in a way the Youtube/social media generation is totally familar with and that it's sort of this thing that people have to hear via word of mouth or seek out and engage with in the old fashioned analogue kind of way. So for the time being I guess my attitude is if it ain't broke, don't mess with it :)

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #76,057 of 89,278
There are a lot of really knowledgeable and interesting people here. What if you were to create a YT channel or medium blog that was sourced from volunteers from this thread? Some ideas that I would personally have interest in watching or reading...

1) How do you review IEMs? Panel to debate words that are used to describe what you hear. I remember a few weeks ago, there was several replies about the definition of "SLAM".

2) Demo playlist and what someone looks for in specific songs

3) What is the perfect mobile setup for travelers vs office workers or wfh

If you aren't in it for the $, then there is low pressure to produce content weekly, which IMO leads to low quality material.
This is a lot of work. What I would do is ask someone with a current YT Channel to see if they want to take up the mantle like Sajid

Dec 30, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #76,058 of 89,278
Yes cable differences can be subtle, however the Orpheus is insane. It's night and day. It's by far the biggest change I've ever experienced with a cable. Agree with everything you said.
I’ve heard the Orphy, and I’d agree that the colour it adds is very noticeable. But, I was talking specifically about how a beginner would hear it, and I doubt my ears in 2014 (when I started) would hear even a fraction of the difference. It was also more about letting salespeople use cables or burn-in as a way to peddle products to you that you didn’t really want, so the point was more about not letting yourself get snaked, rather than cables and/or burn-in only making minor differences.

Dec 30, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #76,059 of 89,278
So many key lessons shared by all who love this hobby. One aspect I’ve come to appreciate over the past year is how important aesthetics and comfort are in enjoying the gear and music. Comfort clearly is a factor in “getting lost in the music”.

And yes, I’m fortunate to say my wife is an indispensable part of my life. Any woman who would indulge my obsession and spend a half day at Headphone Auditions in Amsterdam while on a cruise that is only in port for 2 days is a wonderful life partner. :)
You are one lucky man to have a wife like that 😉
Now go buy her some Hermes 😂

Dec 30, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #76,060 of 89,278

@Sajid Amit mine and the only piece I own. I also really want the 1970's seiko Morpho color changing dial, amazing piece(https://shorturl.at/npHPR) and yes that's all the same dial. The watch market is out of control and needs about a -60% correction, I am much more interested in micro brands and simultaneously high horology because of the absurdity. The big names that everyone wants; once you dig a little deeper you discover that you are just paying for a name, nothing more and most of the time it's worse than many microbrands 1/5th their price.

Audio guys: The price of IEMs is getting insane.

Horologists: Hold my beer.

Dec 30, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #76,061 of 89,278
Although I believe cable matter, but I always thought cables only make very marginal impact on SQ, mostly in term of ergonomics.

However, I was so wrong.

Courtesy of Effect Audio and @Sebastien Chiu, I received two mystery EA cables, one in blue and one in purple. Unfortunately I was struggling to build a new computer for the past few days and I only have time tonight. I I will have a detailed impression later on.

I put on my IEMs and started to listen to music with stock cable for a while. Then after I switched to the blue cable, my jaw dropped!

I have never experience the transformation of an IEM with such a dramatic effect! I can't believe it is the same IEM I am listening: Resolution increases not in a bit, and the bass, that bass, is just amazingly good.

I guess I just dug another deep rabbit hole for myself, thanking EA and Sebastien. Now I totally understand why people here spend sometimes a significant portion of audio investment on cables.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #76,063 of 89,278
Dec 30, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #76,064 of 89,278
My audio highlight of 2023: FitEar MH334SR.

PXL_20231230_112947489.MP.png

More than just another pair of customs (my sixth to be exact); the sheer amount of connections and memories captured by this awful photo taken with my phone by my night lamp at 6 am or god knows when, means the world to me.

I'd been interested in FitEar since I started lusting for CIEMs back when I was still in high school. For those unaware, FitEar dominates the Japanese professional market, probably safe to assume 99% of it. Most of the artists that I regularly listen to are rocking a pair of FitEar. Now, I don't fully buy into the whole "as intended by the artist" thing but it's a nice feeling, knowing that I'm listening with the same monitors that the artists use while performing. These are by no means the highest fidelity IEMs, and you could get "better" IEMs for the price, but despite the crazy market of options we have today, there's no denying that there's something magical about this 7+ year old, all BA IEM model. For a very long time, it seemed like an impossible dream, as it's not an exaggeration when it comes to how hard it can be to get one unless you're a Japanese resident.

Grateful to Kiats for solo carrying the international FitEar enthusiast discussions and always answering my questions, Jaben SG for hooking me up with the opportunity to purchase them in the first place, to the Watercooler troupe who accompanied me as I got the impressions done by Uncle Wilson, to Eric and Eletech for reterminating my cable (seriously the stock cable sucks for personal use), and despite having never met him, really grateful to Suyama at FitEar for connecting me with my music like no one else has ever done.

Music has the ability to send you to another place in time, but hearing this IEM will always take me back to that week of CanJam Singapore 2023.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #76,065 of 89,278
My audio highlight of 2023: FitEar MH334SR.

PXL_20231230_112947489.MP.png

More than just another pair of customs; the sheer amount of connections and memories captured by this awful photo taken with my phone by my night lamp at 6 am or god knows when, means the world to me.

I'd been interested in FitEar since I started lusting for CIEMs back when I was still in high school. For those unaware, FitEar dominates the Japanese professional market, probably safe to assume 99% of it. Most of the artists that I regularly listen to are rocking a pair of FitEar. Now, I don't fully buy into the whole "as intended by the artist" thing but it's a nice feeling, knowing that I'm listening with the same monitors that the artists use while performing. These are by no means the highest fidelity IEMs, and you could get "better" IEMs for the price, but despite the crazy market of options we have today, there's no denying that there's something magical about this 7+ year old, all BA IEM model. For a very long time, it seemed like an impossible dream, as it's not an exaggeration when it comes to how hard it can be to get one unless you're a Japanese resident.

Grateful to Kiats for solo carrying the international FitEar enthusiast discussions and always answering my questions, Jaben SG for hooking me up with the opportunity to purchase them in the first place, to the Watercooler troupe who accompanied me as I got the impressions done by Uncle Wilson, to Eric and Eletech for reterminating my cable (seriously the stock cable sucks for personal use), and despite having never met him, really grateful to Suyama at FitEar for connecting me with my music like no one else has ever done.

Music has the ability to send you to another place in time, but hearing this IEM will always take me back to that week of CanJam Singapore 2023.
Only in my weird audio dreams have I been able to attain a FitEar CIEM!

Thank you for this post! I thoroughly enjoy your sentiments and hope to hear them some day.

Until then, keep enjoying the music! 🎶

Users who are viewing this thread

Back