The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 31, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #76,111 of 91,358
My last audio-discovery for 2023. The Qudelix T71. This is not just the next dongle, it is capable of more! It receives 7.1 signals, in my case from an iPad or iPhone, and processes them into 2 channels for headphones. The result is really great and I enjoy many tracks new with it on Apple Music. The effect is even jaw-dropping for some tracks. I listened to The Beatles 1967-1970 Album and I really liked it much better than the 2-ch version.

Of course, it can also just do 2-ch to 2-ch. You can also downsample 7.1 to 2-ch with just a push of a button.

I think It’s something to consider, as It’s not too expensive at 300 $/€. Plus it has a lot of power (4 Vrms low / 8 Vrms high gain), It’s own battery and the best EQ implementation I‘ve ever experienced. It should also work great for movies (haven’t tried so far). Love it!

1704018640615.png

Dec 31, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #76,112 of 91,358
Thank you for this great recommendation. Love it ❤️

giphy (2).gif
ALS ❤️

This is why I don't mind spending a crazy amount of money on watch. Go broke once but last forever if you take care of it and you can inherit it to your child and then to your grandchild and so on. No Rolex for me though. I bought watch because I like it, not for investment. I want to use my watch to my hearts content than hesitate to use it because afraid that I'm gonna put a dent and scratch on it and lower the resale value 😉
I only said that iconic watches don’t necessarily lose value. Also I don’t see it as an investment. You buy your watch and you wear it. The only thing that changes is that depending on which one you choose, you will never lose money if it comes time to part with it.
I am not into the investment side of it. I just enjoy a good timepiece.

Dec 31, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #76,113 of 91,358
I‘ve joined (and suffered in) both hobbies and while true, there is one significant difference regarding prices. The IEM/DAP/Other gear is like tech that loses resale-value fast, and in 4-5 years or even earlier, is pretty much worthless because there are much better things available (with some rare exceptions like Orpheus and few others).

If you buy an iconic watch, it will also go south in resale value after you wear it for the first time. But after some years it will probably recover and in 4-5+ years, chances are good you sell the watch for more than you bought it. Even with all the scratches you‘ve collected over time.
While this is true, the only two luxury watches I own were really purchases for me. The seiko, between being an astron and a 1/120 Japanese only model will probably be worth something, but I don't think I'd ever have the heart to sell it. My biggest regret about owning it is given my daughter's young age, I seldom wear it for fear of getting it dinged while playing with her, but naturally that'll change with age. In the meantime I don't mind wearing a beater so I can roughhouse with her :p

Dec 31, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #76,114 of 91,358
On the watch topic I decided to go the Chi-Fi route, meaning that I buy new watches every 1-2 year for the prices around 200-500 USD$ both from established watch brands or the ones coming from the Fashion Houses (Hilfiger etc.)

I’m really surprised the percentage of them lacking quality in the above mentioned price bracket 😄
Starting from leather straps coming trash in less than a year, sapphire glass scratching from minute touches or internal brand logos inside the watch itself coming off 😂

Settled with mechanical Fossil for now but have to be careful not to wind them up too much otherwise they are starting to rush.

Probably should look at the upper segment one day.

Dec 31, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #76,115 of 91,358
Watches are stupid. :)

Dec 31, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #76,116 of 91,358
My 2023 combos - first one is really incredible, it really matches my tastes.
The last one is really a portable endgame, plus comfortable.

1. Sony NW-WM1ZM2 - FitEar DC Ti - Brise Audio Yatono Ultimate 8W
2. iPhone 15 Pro Max - Luxury&Precision WP2 - Luxury&Precision W4 - Sony IER-Z1R - Brise Audio BSEP - Symbio W
3. iPhone 15 Pro Max - Rhapsodio RSD Hybrid DAC Dongle - Technics EAH-TZ700 - PW Audio 1960s - Spinfit W1

DCZ1.png

W4Z1R.png

RhapsodioTZ700.png

Happy New Year to all Watercoolers!

Dec 31, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #76,117 of 91,358
Dec 31, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #76,118 of 91,358
Having a last spin with the APX this morning before I pack it away. With something slightly less rare than the APX: the Luxury & Precision P6Pro Ti. :)

Sterling work that @piotrus-g has done with the APX. I have enjoyed my time with the APX very much. Very innovative drivers and use of the drivers to create the sound and sensations that I did not expect. The fit is of course excellent for a universal IEM. The soundstage is impressive while the timbre on the APX is first rate. Because of the way the drivers are deployed, you can actually feel the timbre of the mids, be it vocals or strings.

Will listen to one last album and then it goes back in its nice presentation box. And back to @Uncle Wilson at Jaben SG on Tuesday afternoon. :)

@Kiats Thank you so much for your feedback. I'm very glad you like Apx. It seems you hear it exactly the way I do :)

:champagne::champagne::champagne_glass: Happy New Years everybody!

Dec 31, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #76,120 of 91,358
Cheers and thanks for sharing!

PS - glad you chimed in to the IEM of the year survey.

The survey made me realize that I'm familiar with every flagship IEM on that list but not so much with mid-fi stuff due to reviewing more of higher end IEMs and DAPs. Perhaps, this could be my New Year resolution, to audition more mid-fi gems which should be doable at the upcoming CanJam NYC :)

Dec 31, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #76,121 of 91,358
I only said that iconic watches don’t necessarily lose value. Also I don’t see it as an investment. You buy your watch and you wear it. The only thing that changes is that depending on which one you choose, you will never lose money if it comes time to part with it.
I am not into the investment side of it. I just enjoy a good timepiece.
Uh, did my post in some way offend you bro? 😅
I said nothing about your preference. I'm on the "enjoy what you buy" camp too and never thought buying watch as an investment. Actually I'm not good at saving money too 🤣
Spend and enjoy your life as long as you know what you like 😉

Dec 31, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #76,122 of 91,358
While this is true, the only two luxury watches I own were really purchases for me. The seiko, between being an astron and a 1/120 Japanese only model will probably be worth something, but I don't think I'd ever have the heart to sell it. My biggest regret about owning it is given my daughter's young age, I seldom wear it for fear of getting it dinged while playing with her, but naturally that'll change with age. In the meantime I don't mind wearing a beater so I can roughhouse with her :p
You‘re gonna love the scratches coming from playing with her. Just wear it 😇

Dec 31, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #76,123 of 91,358
The survey made me realize that I'm familiar with every flagship IEM on that list but not so much with mid-fi stuff due to reviewing more of higher end IEMs and DAPs. Perhaps, this could be my New Year resolution, to audition more mid-fi gems which should be doable at the upcoming CanJam NYC :)
You already did with your splendid DDHiFi Janus 3 and M120B digital cable review. I need to double check did I read it right and it's you, not @Animagus who wrote the review 🤭

Dec 31, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #76,124 of 91,358
@Kiats Thank you so much for your feedback. I'm very glad you like Apx. It seems you hear it exactly the way I do :)

:champagne::champagne::champagne_glass: Happy New Years everybody!
You are most welcome! I am blessed that @Uncle Wilson thought I would enjoy giving it a listen and Claire was full of praise as well for the innovations and work you have put into it. :)

Dec 31, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #76,125 of 91,358
What a year it has been for me.
My craft empowered, some pictures of the output from 2023 starting with the studio, followed by some of the projects completed this year in this renovated barn.

IMG_3077.jpeg

IMG_3072.jpeg

IMG_3307.jpeg

IMG_3304.jpeg

IMG_3301.jpeg

IMG_3306.jpeg

IMG_3083.jpeg

A project I am working on now which will be finished in 2024.

IMG_3300.jpeg

Happy New Year everyone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back