The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 14, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #70,501 of 89,173
How do you like the aroma audio air? Haven’t seen many people talk about it.
I like its SQ. In stock form, it's one notch above the BTR7 that I also own and use. Although a bit on the bright side, pairing it with a bass heavy IEM and it's a great combo to take outside.

I also like it that the battery is user replaceable. No more worries of charging it to 100% and letting it drain to zero. It takes 18650 battery and I could carry spares if I wanted to although removing the OG battery is a PITA. I actually bought plastic tools for that purpose.

I have also meant to roll opamps but haven't really gotten to it.

All in all it is quite a future-proof piece of kit.

Nov 14, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #70,502 of 89,173
Somewhat off-topic, but I'd also love to have a grilled cheese sandwich, where the bread used is French Toast, paired with some kind of honey butter dipping sauce.

Nov 14, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #70,504 of 89,173
For those that purchased Fatfreq iems, have you been able to get in contact with Fatfreq? Fatfreq were supposed to send Grand Maestro Saturday. I've contacted them multiple times to get the tracking number and confirm they sent it with no response. Have anyone else been able to contact them or can provide any experiences?
Might be a dumb question but do they not respond to you via Live chat? I've been bugging them with a million questions for months about customizing and purchasing a CIEM GM and they've never missed a single chat of mine. Theyve always gotten back to me.

I'd be surprised if messages about something as important as a tracking number for a GM shipment would be overlooked/ignored by them.

Nov 14, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #70,505 of 89,173
That's interesting. I never heard the FW but spent some years with the Odin. I found Odins treble to be acceptable, a little too smooth for my liking. If you think it has a lot of treble energy and it is too "crispy" for you, you shouldn't get too close to an Annihilator 😂.

Other than that I found Odins bass quality was pretty much the best I've ever heard. At least from memory, I couldn't compare to GM for example. FWs bass quality really better than Odins?
Sorry, just wanna clarify. Did you mean to say you found Odin's bass superior to GM's quality-wise?

Nov 14, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #70,506 of 89,173
Those selfish jerks! 😝

You mean like a Mojo DAP? 🤔 Hmm, not sure about that... only because supporting a screen and its interface would require a host of components where the increased noise would be non-trivial.

I'd actually love to see a dumbed down version of Mojo and Poly, one that is primarily meant to be a wireless device, supporting the best codecs and protocols... while being as thin as possible... and sporting a 4.4 jack. A Mojo Air.
That was the reason I got the Gryphon. But Bluetooth is not really that reliable and I ended up having to carry two bricks around since the connection was crappy while walking around my house. The Sr35 works much better in that regard. I think TWS is my max as far as Bluetooth goes.

Nov 14, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #70,507 of 89,173
For those that purchased Fatfreq iems, have you been able to get in contact with Fatfreq? Fatfreq were supposed to send Grand Maestro Saturday. I've contacted them multiple times to get the tracking number and confirm they sent it with no response. Have anyone else been able to contact them or can provide any experiences?
I did using the chat feature on their website. I left them a message and promptly received a reply during their business hours. I'm in USA and they are in Singapore. It was a very quick and prompt response.

Nov 14, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #70,508 of 89,173
Bluetooth is not really that reliable and I ended up having to carry two bricks around since the connection was crappy while walking around my house. The Sr35 works much better in that regard. I think TWS is my max as far as Bluetooth goes.

Oh, I don't mean Bluetooth for audio. Yes, the unit would need to have Bluetooth for configuration and the GoFigure app, but audio would be handled by AirPlay (v.1) for iOS devices, and probably LDAC for Android.

Nov 14, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #70,509 of 89,173
Nov 14, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #70,510 of 89,173
Nov 14, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #70,511 of 89,173
8 wire? I would guess this will be the best upgrade cable for Z1R. However, with $3,361 price tage, it is like put an expensive Electech cable on Moondrop bless.
Yup, it's the 8w. I don't have a Z1R and can't speak to how well or not the Shirogane would work with it. Though I do know that the Z1R is capable of scaling up to a remarkable degree with a good source... so I'd imagine that it would scale up well with a good cable. Brise does make a cable specifically for the Z1R.

Nov 14, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #70,512 of 89,173
I'd actually love to see a dumbed down version of Mojo and Poly, one that is primarily meant to be a wireless device, supporting the best codecs and protocols... while being as thin as possible... and sporting a 4.4 jack. A Mojo Air.
That's exactly what I've been looking for as well. The only feature missing is to make it Magsafe-compatible to stack with your phone in case you choose to go wired.

The closest I've found so far is the Questyle CMA18. Here's @Moris Renar's post from the dedicated CMA18 thread.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/que...with-headphone-amplifier.969449/post-17760945

651138635f3dc.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #70,513 of 89,173
That's exactly what I've been looking for as well. The only feature missing is to make it Magsafe-compatible in case you choose to go wired.

The closest I've found so far is the Questyle CMA18. Here's @Moris Renar's post from the dedicated CMA18 thread.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/que...with-headphone-amplifier.969449/post-17760945

651138635f3dc.jpg

Yeah, that would probably work well for Android users. But I'll have to pass in that it can't handle lossless wirelessly for me as an iOS user. :frowning2:

Nov 14, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #70,514 of 89,173
I feel like usually when people talk about burn in, bass is usually said to tighten up a bit. But personally I dont subscribe to the whole burn in idea outside of brain burn in. I also havent really heard anyone mention much about burn in with the singularity. So normally for me I would say expect to adjust a bit to the sound, but dont expect bass that you consider loose to magically tighten up. At least, in my opinion.

All of that said, with a little more time on these, I think these are working quite well to my preferences. Big and bassy and smooth. Still maybe could use just a little more air or edge up in the treble, but the big pinna area gain I have seen in graphs really does seem to work quite well against the big bass. Quite an interesting tuning. Kind of wish I still had the bonneville to compare to. Also going to be interesting to compare to some of the others I have in my collection.

Dont think these are going to win any comfort awards from me. But the real question will be whether they remain mildly uncomfortable or progress to something worse. I can deal with a little discomfort and having to adjust them if thats all it is.

Edit: I take back the comment about comfort. I think it could still go either way with these. I can definitely tell they are in my ear, but they are light and I am not picking up on any obvious pressure points so far. With the right tips who knows. Based on the sound of these so far I can easily see these being my go to pair if the comfort ends up being good. Lots of tip rolling ahead.

It took me quite a while to warm up (lol, problem was it sounded too warm for me) with the Singularity but I imagine that a few hours of burn-in and my cable rolling helped to tighten the loose bass and improved mids and treble presence quite a bit... Changed the stock Vanguard to a nice silver-palladium cable.

Nov 14, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #70,515 of 89,173
Yup, it's the 8w. I don't have a Z1R and can't speak to how well or not the Shirogane would work with it. Though I do know that the Z1R is capable of scaling up to a remarkable degree with a good source... so I'd imagine that it would scale up well with a good cable. Brise does make a cable specifically for the Z1R.
Yeah, I know their BSEP for Z1R but BSEP uses copper while I believe the best match for Z1R is silver just like its stock cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back