The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 8, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #69,946 of 91,357
Have Unique Melody said anything regarding how they achieved AP’s bass improvement over Mentor? I did notice AP didn’t have any vent in the shell unless my eyes deceived me, I wonder if the fully sealed IEM is contributing to the superior bass quality.

Both Unique Melody MM and Amber Pearl are vented. So they are closed but open-back IEMs. My MM custom has two holes, AP has one.

Do note that doesn't mean these vents help in managing ear canal pressure AKA vacuum effect in any way - nope it won't, since they are still closed, and the venting is just for the open drivers (probably for the bass specifically). Also venting decreases noise isolation. In comparison, LeJardin / Mason series are completely closed and isolating.

Nov 8, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #69,947 of 91,357
Nov 8, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #69,949 of 91,357
Hope you like it! It's my favorite IEM atm.
I see that you parted ways with the Annihilator. As we discussed, I preferred the Crimson, but the lack of venting/pressure build-up and some issues I had with the bass texture (you may recall how particular I am about that) led me to say goodbye. Still, a very decent monitor.

Nov 8, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #69,950 of 91,357
Both Unique Melody MM and Amber Pearl are vented. So they are closed but open-back IEMs. My MM custom has two holes, AP has one.

Do note that doesn't mean these vents help in managing ear canal pressure AKA vacuum effect in any way - nope it won't, since they are still closed, and the venting is just for the open drivers (probably for the bass specifically). Also venting decreases noise isolation. In comparison, LeJardin / Mason series are completely closed and isolating.

Ah, I could have sworn I didn’t see a pinhole vent on AP but goes to show I did miss it then. Good to know, now I’m even more intrigued what gives AP the higher bass quality over MM.

Nov 8, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #69,951 of 91,357
I see that you parted ways with the Annihilator. As we discussed, I preferred the Crimson, but the lack of venting/pressure build-up and some issues I had with the bass texture (you may recall how particular I am about that) led me to say goodbye. Still, a very decent monitor.
The pressure build-up on Crimson can be a problem. I have to periodically pull up my ear to vent the pressure.

I liked the Annihilator a lot but ultimately I had issues connecting with it and its bass.

I'm learning about my preferences which I'm finding lean towards a neutral/neutral warm tonality with a timbre similar to Singularity and Amber Pearl. I have trouble connecting with monitors that have a brighter tonality/timbre.

Once Storm re-releases I'm going to pick one up with Sovereign/Sovereign Symphony which I've heard give the mids a more analogue tone. I'm a little concerned about Storm's treble though.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #69,952 of 91,357
Regarding Hall of Fame IEMs I think the criteria might include those that are standard setting, possibly those using innovative technology but ultimately the ones used as a measuring stick to the sets that come after.
The main reason I bought the Andromeda is due to the fact that it was used as comparison to everything that came out a year or two ago.
It seems to me that besides Andromeda the Trialli, IER Z1R and Blon BLO3 are still perennial favorites not just around this forum but amongst enthusiasts wherever you find them.

Nov 8, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #69,953 of 91,357
Hope you like it! It's my favorite IEM atm.
I’m getting my xe6 back today! I called Fir and asked them if they could replace my filter system with the updated version and they did even though I was out of warranty! Awesome customer service and I can’t wait to listen again they’re definitely one of my favorites as well :)

Nov 8, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #69,954 of 91,357
Sounds like we have something in common here. Amber Pearl is my new number 1. It has unbelievable bass quality from a texture, detail and timbre point of view. Couple that with its unmatched 3D holographic imaging and it has completely won me over. The only thing it lacks, which will resonate with most in the DD or no dice camp, is that it lacks some visceral slam. But, not by much. It really does slam nicely and for me it is a great all arounder which can sufficiently render any music in my library which is quite eclectic. If I could only have one IEM, this would be it and it would be enough.

I also really love the Fei Wan when I heard it at CanJam Socal. I loved it on first listen and confirmed it when I went back to it several times. The main reason I did not buy it is because I heard Amber Pearl right after Fei Wan and I thought Amber Pearl was a step above Fei Wan for my taste. So, I bought it. Now, I have decided to pick up a Fei Wan and look forward to spending more time with both.
I am happy you enjoy Amber Pearl. I also have AP and also like it a lot. Howver, I wonder if it can be improved even further by swapping cable ?

Have you tried 3rd party cable with Amber Pearl ? Orpheus ? 1950s ? Brise audio ? ....

Nov 8, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #69,955 of 91,357
I’m getting my xe6 back today! I called Fir and asked them if they could replace my filter system with the updated version and they did even though I was out of warranty! Awesome customer service and I can’t wait to listen again they’re definitely one of my favorites as well :)
I actually meant Singularity, sorry for the confusion. I have yet to hear XE6 or any FiR IEMs. Good to hear about their customer service though.

Nov 8, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #69,956 of 91,357
I actually meant Singularity, sorry for the confusion. I have yet to hear XE6 or any FiR IEMs. Good to hear about their customer service though.

If you didn’t like the Fei Wan bass I’d be surprised if you enjoyed the way the FiR IEMs are tuned in bass also. Fei Wan and RN6 have a similar bass tuning to me, the XE6 is a different beast entirely though 🫢😎

Nov 8, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #69,957 of 91,357
If you didn’t like the Fei Wan bass I’d be surprised if you enjoyed the way the FiR IEMs are tuned in bass also. Fei Wan and RN6 have a similar bass tuning to me, the XE6 is a different beast entirely though 🫢😎
Only one way to tell :wink:

Nov 8, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #69,958 of 91,357
Out of curiosity what is your favorite filter in the xe6?

Nov 8, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #69,960 of 91,357
I am happy you enjoy Amber Pearl. I also have AP and also like it a lot. Howver, I wonder if it can be improved even further by swapping cable ?

Have you tried 3rd party cable with Amber Pearl ? Orpheus ? 1950s ? Brise audio ? ....
Absolutely it can. My favorite pairing is with 1950s shielding. It gives AP really big bass and is nicely integrated with the rest of the FR. To me, it is much more engaging than Fei Wan which I believe is also excellent, but more neutral in the bass than AP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back