The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 8, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #69,916 of 90,386
By ill defined mid bass transients are you referring to the DDs sounding bloated boomy or too slow on fast bass lines? Because this for me was exactly what FW didn’t do considering how mid bassy it is. In terms of keeping that much mid bass tight with excellent dynamics from a DD bass low end I haven’t quite heard anything like it. Funnily enough I loved the bass for EDM as it handled the fastest bass lines I could throw at it with ease.
Here's an example of what I mean. IER-Z1R has leading bass edges that feel "harder" than FW's (and most other IEMs). I found this to contribute to a sense of "slam". I think FW lacked this. I think the bass speed on FW was fine.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #69,917 of 90,386
I'm glad people are struggling people are struggling a little. I tried to not make it easy.

Followup survey: How many of the 36 IEMs in that picture has everyone heard?
I've happily had the chance to hear 31 of the 36

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 8, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #69,918 of 90,386
They do for many social-economic-eco-douche reasons – even with first class vs biz vs eco, boarding priority reasons 🤭
Check in boarding priority is a good reason to be envious though as compared to some being so miserable about IEMs above $1000 in the market.

I can't afford so many things but I appreciate the work that goes into making something exquisite and expensive.

Nov 8, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #69,919 of 90,386
Here's an example of what I mean. IER-Z1R has leading bass edges that feel "harder" than FW's (and most other IEMs). I found this to contribute to a sense of "slam" in IEMs. I think FW lacked this. I think the bass speed on FW was fine.

Gotcha. Yeah that’s two very diff takes on bass presentations for sure. Z1R has that large airy voluminous low end whereas I hear FW to be prioritizing more articulation and tightness/PRaT.

Nov 8, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #69,920 of 90,386
The stock cable from the demo is the Aroma Sparkle. It’s wrapped in paracord but it’s not PWA, it’s cheap feeling and quite poor but I’m also cheap when it comes to cables so I doubt I’ll replace it 😂

Cool impressions man, you should ask Andrew to demo the 622 from Canpur. It has some U12t vibes so it may be right up your alley.
I intend on giving it a demo but I've been preferring IEMs with Singularity's FR/timbre lately. I liked AP's timbre and presentation quite a bit.

Nov 8, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #69,921 of 90,386
I intend on giving it a demo but I've been preferring IEMs with Singularity's FR/timbre lately. I liked AP's timbre and presentation quite a bit.

Have you heard the Traillii? For me it’s still the most natural timbre I’ve heard but maybe I’m latching onto fond memories at this point rather than anything else as I haven’t heard it in years.

Nov 8, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #69,922 of 90,386
Gotcha. Yeah that’s two very diff takes on bass presentations for sure. Z1R has that large airy voluminous low end whereas I hear FW to be prioritizing more articulation and tightness/PRaT.
Makes sense. I much prefer an AP/Storm type bass than FW's so there's a difference in preferences at play here. FW's definitely wasn't for me.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #69,924 of 90,386
Have you heard the Traillii? For me it’s still the most natural timbre I’ve heard but maybe I’m latching onto fond memories at this point rather than anything else as I haven’t heard it in years.
I haven't. I'd be happy to demo if it's at CJ or MT or elsewhere.

Nov 8, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #69,925 of 90,386

Sounds like we have something in common here. Amber Pearl is my new number 1. It has unbelievable bass quality from a texture, detail and timbre point of view. Couple that with its unmatched 3D holographic imaging and it has completely won me over. The only thing it lacks, which will resonate with most in the DD or no dice camp, is that it lacks some visceral slam. But, not by much. It really does slam nicely and for me it is a great all arounder which can sufficiently render any music in my library which is quite eclectic. If I could only have one IEM, this would be it and it would be enough.

I also really love the Fei Wan when I heard it at CanJam Socal. I loved it on first listen and confirmed it when I went back to it several times. The main reason I did not buy it is because I heard Amber Pearl right after Fei Wan and I thought Amber Pearl was a step above Fei Wan for my taste. So, I bought it. Now, I have decided to pick up a Fei Wan and look forward to spending more time with both.

Nov 8, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #69,926 of 90,386
Sounds like we have something in common here. Amber Pearl is my new number 1. It has unbelievable bass quality from a texture, detail and timbre point of view. Couple that with its unmatched 3D holographic imaging and it has completely won me over. The only thing it lacks, which will resonate with most in the DD or no dice camp, is that it lacks some visceral slam. But, not by much. It really does slam nicely and for me it is a great all arounder which can sufficiently render any music in my library which is quite eclectic. If I could only have one IEM, this would be it and it would be enough.

I also really love the Fei Wan when I heard it at CanJam Socal. I loved it on first listen and confirmed it when I went back to it several times. The main reason I did not buy it is because I heard Amber Pearl right after Fei Wan and I thought Amber Pearl was a step above Fei Wan for my taste. So, I bought it. Now, I have decided to pick up a Fei Wan and look forward to spending more time with both.

Have Unique Melody said anything regarding how they achieved AP’s bass improvement over Mentor? I did notice AP didn’t have any vent in the shell unless my eyes deceived me, I wonder if the fully sealed IEM is contributing to the superior bass quality.

Nov 8, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #69,927 of 90,386
Most interested in: Amber Peal(would never buy though not DD), Fei Wan and Storm. Top 3 I want to hear. From now on IEMs should not be released if companies are not willing to provide 2 review samples, 1 for the watercooler US tour and one for the EU tour. :grimacing:

Friggen amber pearl!!! Why must you be 8000$!! 💔😫

Nov 8, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #69,928 of 90,386
Storm should also have a place in the list.

I agree with the rest.
Lol. Based on the massive number of people that have tried it? How can something attain a HoF status when a select few own it and a slightly bigger group have heard it?

Nov 8, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #69,929 of 90,386
I am also looking for a TOTL level Singularity at $3 - $5 K
You should consider Duality. It is technically superior to Singularity and has better resolution. I will buy it and it will be in the $2500-3000 price range. I think they can do more to get it to TOTL level. I think what you are really looking for is the mythical Dio from Elysian Acoustic Labs. But, that project has been put on hold pending a new design which can be manufactured properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back