The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 8, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #69,841 of 89,173
Does anyone know, what happens here? New capacitors? New software?

Andy documented and posed direct links to the issue and updates on page 1 of the N30LE thread. Copied over the direct links:

After numerous tests and auditions, we managed to eliminate the hissing problem on the returned N30LE by adjusting the bias setting of the discrete headphone amplifier circuit.

Update 2
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...-limited-edition.969210/page-76#post-17738254

Extended Warranty regarding the "hissing" issue in Class A mode
The official Announcement
Update 1
Update 2
Update 3

TLDR; Rebiasing = adjusting the adjustable resistors on the discreet amplifier circuit.

They rebiased all of the remaining units in production before shipping those out to dealers.

And secondly, did you get a new unit or do you have still the same serial? 🙏🏻

Musicteck received their second batch of units which were rebiased. I sent my first unit #070 back to MusicTeck then Andrew sent me a brand new unit #292

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #69,843 of 89,173
I spent more time on the Kinera Loki last weekend, and I found myself growing fonder of its sound. So I decided to write a brief impression of this IEM.

The most impressive thing when I first listen to Loki is the bass. It emphasizes the bass very strongly, especially the sub-bass, creating a feeling of overflowing sensation. The bass is extremely impactful, reaching deep with resonance, yet maintaining a balanced speed. This provides an exhilarating and physically immersive experience. Most important, it doesn't overshadow the mids and highs.

The mids are rich and full without becoming muddy. Loki excels in reproducing vocal details and density. With a full-bodied and smooth presentation, the mid-range vocals offer a high level of sweetness and impressive thickness. It strikes a balance between body and clarity, delivering well-rounded vocal notes. Both male and female vocals are accurately performed without noticeable bias.

Regarding the trebles, Loki doesn't aim for extreme brightness or excessively extended vertical high-frequency performance, despite using electrostatic drivers. The trebles maintain refinement and exhibit a smooth, delicate quality, offering ample high-frequency detail and density. The handling is controlled and graceful, ensuring coherence without any structural disjoint.

Loki doesn't boast an exceptionally wide horizontal width or deep depth, but its vertical height is impressive. Additionally, the presence of a subtle bass backdrop and the thickness of vocal performance together create an immersive and engaging listening experience. While it may not be the top pick for expansive orchestral compositions, it truly shines in genres such as jazz, vocal, pop, small ensembles, and instrumental solos.

In conclusion, Loki is an impressive pair of IEMs with a distinctive sound signature that diverges from the typical tuning. The overall sound profile is detailed but tends towards a warmer tone. Loki's tuning is centered around music enjoyment, featuring rich and full mid-frequencies, along with deep bass.

While I can't claim it to be the absolute best, Loki is an excellent IEM well worth trying. To my ears, Loki possesses the same level of technicality as my Annihilator 2023 but distinctly approaches music. They complement each other wonderfully. With these two IEMs, one can cover a wide range of musical experiences without missing out on anything.

I'm delighted to have this one and can comfortably settle with it for perhaps 2 or 3 months before moving on to the next experience :yum:

IMG_0480-2.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #69,844 of 89,173
I agree with this. Although price isn't always a correlator for quality, I've generally found IEMs priced at and above the $1K threshold have a combination of tuning and technical performance that elevates them above the sub-$1000 and definitely the sub-$500 IEMs.

That said, the Sony XM5 TWS (and XM4 before it) are my most used IEMs over the past two years, which goes to show that, for me at least, convenience and versatility often trumps absolute SQ, especially when travelling or listening casually.
And one should not forget the time factor - even a 500 set from 2023 may easily better a +1k set 5 or even just 2-3 years old. The business is moving fast nowadays...

For me the price range 500-1,5k is the most interesting atm, as it more and more seems to close the gap to the multi k sets soundwise...

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 3:24 AM Post #69,845 of 89,173
On the topic of price / listening enjoyment ratio, I’ve said it a few times when listening to this combo that clocks in at around $700, I could live happily ever after if it were not for the enjoyment of the hobby and further exploration! This is pretty much my daily choice when going to the office or travelling. Aune M1p DAP, easy to use, very compact, sounds excellent (my usually preferred more neutral), and the fantastic Final A5000 which play any genre I throw at them with ease.

IMG_4188.jpeg

Nov 8, 2023 at 3:45 AM Post #69,846 of 89,173
You can do this in the ads.
What's "ads" ? "Advanced search" ?

I don't see any way to filter classifieds by currency...

1699433143484.png

Sorry for my ignorance :relaxed:

Nov 8, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #69,847 of 89,173
What's "ads" ? "Advanced search" ?

I don't see any way to filter classifieds by currency...

Sorry for my ignorance :relaxed:

There is a filters dropdown menu, see the picture below.

1699433353457.png

By the way, the listing on the far right dates from April 2021... And it gets bumped every three days. Useless. There should be a limit of 1 year or so. If not sold after one year (!), it should be removed. Obviously impossible to implement because one could create a new listing, but needed to rant for a bit.. 😊

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 4:25 AM Post #69,848 of 89,173
That said, the Sony XM5 TWS (and XM4 before it) are my most used IEMs over the past two years, which goes to show that, for me at least, convenience and versatility often trumps absolute SQ, especially when travelling or listening casually.
I'm really starting to wonder about the TWS option! Do I really need an expensive DAP with expensive IEM's when they're only used casually a couple of times per week (since most of my listening happens on my desktop chain)? Have I let myself be swept away by the addictive nature of this hobby?

Talking TWS: which one has the best SQ? You like the Sony, Jude likes the Sennheiser (cfr. Canjam Dallas preview video), others here have mentioned the Noble Audio fokus prestige. No need for ANC or calling features, just a reliable connection and great SQ. Txs!

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #69,849 of 89,173
AirPods literally kept me out of the hobby for the past 2.5 years 😂

Nov 8, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #69,850 of 89,173
I'm really starting to wonder about the TWS option! Do I really need an expensive DAP with expensive IEM's when they're only used casually a couple of times per week (since most of my listening happens on my desktop chain)? Have I let myself be swept away by the addictive nature of this hobby?

Talking TWS: which one has the best SQ? You like the Sony, Jude likes the Sennheiser (cfr. Canjam Dallas preview video), others here have mentioned the Noble Audio fokus prestige. Txs!

My personal favourite TWS from a sound quality perspective is the Final ZE8000. I use the XM5 more so for work calls etc and flip to music maybe in the office for convenience… XM5 in my laptop bag at all times! ZE8000 sit mostly on a kitchen shelf and called for duty out waking my dog etc. The Hifiman Svanar TWS is the best I’ve heard, but I had terrible problems with Bluetooth so returned them.

IMG_3520.jpeg

Nov 8, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #69,851 of 89,173
There is a filters dropdown menu, see the picture below.

1699433353457.png

By the way, the listing on the far right dates from April 2021... And it gets bumped every three days. Useless. There should be a limit of 1 year or so. If not sold after one year (!), it should be removed. Obviously impossible to implement because one could create a new listing, but needed to rant for a bit.. 😊
Got it :thumbsup:

In fact, this filter is not available in any classifieds submenus (eg. New listings, New comments - the ones I use mostly!).
So I didn't notice all filter options on the main menu of "Classifieds"... until your reply.
Currency option is indeed available on "filters" of "Classifieds" only.

Thanks a lot!

Nov 8, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #69,852 of 89,173
I stand by everything I said. I have explored the length and breadth of the IEM market over the years and in my experience there is generally a steady increase in quality until you hit about the $1k mark, following which diminishing returns kick in large. There are, of course, many great. IEMs sub $1k, howver it's not until about that point and beyond that I find myself stopping to consistently seek further incremental improvements. This is just my opinion, hence the "IMHO" right before the section of my statement you bolded.
And I bet you have tested most of the current $20-999 offerings, right?

I don't even know why I'm asking this, you surely must have tried at least 70% of these sets and only then chose this exact number of $1000 as the absolute highpass filter of goodness.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #69,853 of 89,173
Why are you so upset about this?

Nov 8, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #69,854 of 89,173
Nov 8, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #69,855 of 89,173
Based on my colloquial experiences of listening to IEM since 2004 through ownership or demos (I have aged terrifically), I can share the view the average price point for "buy and retire from the game" has drifted to a region of around £1,000. Based upon things like 64 U4s/A4s, Symphonium Helios (SE) and so on (before mentioning street price discounts or second hand bringing more models into play).

That does not mean great sound cannot be had for a lower price point, perhaps even much lower.. For example I concur with @Scuba Devils there was a lot to like with the Final A5000 even from a short CanJam experience. Nor does that overlook the majority of the headphone market sales are in the £0 to £350 bracket so something like your latest Sony, Bose or Apple ANC headphone (etc) is a premium price for most would be buyers assuming you have to pay rent or a mortgage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back