The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 7, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #69,812 of 90,282
While im still waiting on the VE Aura 😴

How does it compare to the Traillii?
I cant audition it locally, but it has my interest for a while now.
I have yet to experience it.
Well worth the wait still my favorite Iem to date .. why is it taking so long for you? I got mine very fast lol literally one day shipping.. were they out of stock or something?

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #69,813 of 90,282
Indeed, a few pictures etc have been leaked but all will be revealed soon. :)

Where is your Empy Phoenix at?
If the price is anywhere in the same ballpark I may be interested in returning my less than month OG unit... Impeccable timing on my part here!

Nov 7, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #69,814 of 90,282
NGaudio Khoas:

NGa_Close_Up.jpeg

For anyone interested or curious about the NGaudio, below is a brief summary. These were purchased, not a lend unit.
See full review using link below:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ngaudio-khoas.26829/reviews

NGaudio_FR.png

FR graph provided by Twister6

A well-balanced W-shaped tuning. Clinical, natural with a weighty low-end punch. I listen to a lot of progressive metal/ math rock/ alternative. If this is up your alley, I'd highly recommend. I purchased this set to compliment my FF Grand Maestro & EE Raven. It was a blind buy, so I was a bit skeptical but the unique characteristics of the Khoas panned out to be well worth the risk.

NGaudio Khoas.jpeg

This set benefits from ‘burn in’. When I first listened to the Khoas, I immediately clicked with its overall tuning but admittedly wasn’t blown away by its technical abilities. As time went on, my opinion started to shift. After 50+ hours of playtime, I found this set to transform into a true technical beast. Moral of the story. Don’t expect to jam out for 10 minutes and experience all the Khoas has to offer. The head stage of the Khoas is the widest and deepest I’ve ever heard. An IEM offering this level of resolution and contrast is astonishing.

Nov 7, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #69,815 of 90,282
Nothing new to share except pampering gear with accessory upgrades. PlusSound leather IEM pouches arrived for coddle my FiRries 🐰 @warrenpchi

IMG_0297.JPG

Nov 7, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #69,816 of 90,282
Not on classifieds yet, but if any U.S. Watercooler with classified feedback, wishes you owned a Chiron 8 or OTL? Drop me a PM! :ksc75smile:

Nov 7, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #69,818 of 90,282
The single most tyre kicking generating IEMs I’ve ever listed and unlisted on classifieds… I’ve reduced the price countless times, and didn’t budge - which I’m now thankful for and definitely keeping as a ‘classic’ single DD collectors item… sitting alongside Turii Ti, IE900, FW1500 in a DD hall of fame… they really are a work of art.

IMG_8744.jpeg

IMG_8752.jpeg

IMG_8755.jpeg

Nov 7, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #69,819 of 90,282
I think "value" is possibly the most subjective element of this mostly subjective hobby. I think we can all agree that profit margins are signifcant on most of the gear we purchase-- something true of boutique hobbies generally but especially true here, morer so as you climb to the top of the $$$ ladder. It's always struck me is interesting that the DNA Stellaris-- a TOTL tube amplifier made from premium components that takes almost a year to build-- costs about the same as some of the higher end IEMs and cables we gawk at. At the end of the day this isn't the point-- the point is that this is a purely luxury boutique hobby for which there is no objective standard of value that can be relied on. Value is determined simply by whether or not the people purchasing something feel that what it brings into their lives-- be it pure sound enjoyment or the satisfaction of having something somewhat exclusive-- that is worth the cost. This is the way of things in these sorts of hobbies and I can't imagine that changing any time soon. What I am grateful for is the leaps and bounds in new tech and great sound that has taken place in this hobby recently, or at least in the 3-4 years I have been active. If subjective enjoyment is the metric then their truly is something for everyone at every price tier, though IMHO it's not until about $1k that things start to get really good. YMMV and all that.
Some truth and lots of weirdness in this wall of text, but this second to last sentence takes the cake.

Nov 7, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #69,820 of 90,282
Some truth and lots of weirdness in this wall of text, but this second to last sentence takes the cake.
I don’t understand what’s so weird about that sentence. We all have our opinions and particularly in this thread we are welcoming and open to them.

Your diminutive and denigrating attitude is what takes the cake.

Nov 7, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #69,821 of 90,282
I don’t understand what’s so weird about that sentence. We all have our opinions and particularly in this thread we are welcoming and open to them.

Your diminutive and denigrating attitude is what takes the cake.
Seems to me like soundwaves clearly know numbers quite well and only at the kilobuck mark do they begin to perform.

I'm often a bit tongue in cheek, so please don't take me too seriously.

Nov 7, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #69,822 of 90,282
The single most tyre kicking generating IEMs I’ve ever listed and unlisted on classifieds… I’ve reduced the price countless times, and didn’t budge - which I’m now thankful for and definitely keeping as a ‘classic’ single DD collectors item… sitting alongside Turii Ti, IE900, FW1500 in a DD hall of fame… they really are a work of art.

IMG_8744.jpeg

IMG_8752.jpeg

IMG_8755.jpeg
What iem is this one?

Nov 7, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #69,823 of 90,282
What iem is this one?

Oh sorry - it’s the Victor FW10000 in Japan, or JVC elsewhere in the world - the difference being the HMV logo of the dog is only on the Japanese version, JVC is printed elsewhere.

Nov 7, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #69,824 of 90,282
I hafta vent...everytime I am on the classifieds and a good deal turns up it is always in Europe. Always. Ive seen this so many times, yet I fall for it over and over. I am sick. If only I was over there, I'd have most of the item on my wish list already. Sigh............

Nov 7, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #69,825 of 90,282
I really wish they would all focus on making better sounding small daps instead of super bricks .. the Shanling m3 ultra is my most used product at this point because of the size. I feel like they could definitely cram better sound in the smaller daps, but they purposely only put the magic in the bricks
Right now it’s pretty hard to fit a good amp into a DAP and make it sound like a desktop machine. There is a lot of technical challenges such as jitter, battery power to drive it and cooling If the unit is too small. The heat is a hell of a challenge. Hence the N30LE is a creative master piece considering the sound they got at that size And they started this as a new project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back