The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 7, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #69,797 of 90,220
Nov 7, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #69,799 of 90,220
Nov 7, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #69,800 of 90,220
I think "value" is possibly the most subjective element of this mostly subjective hobby. I think we can all agree that profit margins are signifcant on most of the gear we purchase-- something true of boutique hobbies generally but especially true here, morer so as you climb to the top of the $$$ ladder. It's always struck me is interesting that the DNA Stellaris-- a TOTL tube amplifier made from premium components that takes almost a year to build-- costs about the same as some of the higher end IEMs and cables we gawk at. At the end of the day this isn't the point-- the point is that this is a purely luxury boutique hobby for which there is no objective standard of value that can be relied on. Value is determined simply by whether or not the people purchasing something feel that what it brings into their lives-- be it pure sound enjoyment or the satisfaction of having something somewhat exclusive-- that is worth the cost. This is the way of things in these sorts of hobbies and I can't imagine that changing any time soon. What I am grateful for is the leaps and bounds in new tech and great sound that has taken place in this hobby recently, or at least in the 3-4 years I have been active. If subjective enjoyment is the metric then their truly is something for everyone at every price tier, though IMHO it's not until about $1k that things start to get really good. YMMV and all that.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #69,801 of 90,220
IMG_20231107_230743.jpg

A man dives deep into the depths with Deepchord. Great recommendation @Rockwell75.

Nov 7, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #69,802 of 90,220
Yeah nooo … that’s just ridiculous
I think "value" is possibly the most subjective element of this mostly subjective hobby. I think we can all agree that profit margins are signifcant on most of the gear we purchase-- something true of boutique hobbies generally but especially true here, especially as you climb to the top of the $$$ ladder. It's always struck me is interesting that the DNA Stellaris-- a TOTL tube amplifier made from premium components that takes almost a year to build, costs about the same as some of the higher end IEMs and cables we gawk at. At the end of the day this isn't the point-- the point is that this is a purely luxury boutique hobby and at the end of the day there is no objective standard of value that can be relied on. Value is determined simply by whether or not the people purchasing something feel it brings into their lives something-- be it pure sound enjoyment or the satisfaction of having something somewhat exclusive-- that is worth the cost. This is the way of things in these sorts of hobbies and I can't imagine that changing any time soon. What I am grateful is the leaps and bounds in new tech and great sound that has taken place in this hobby recently, or at least in the 3-4 years I have been active. If subjective enjoyment is the metric then their truly is something for everyone at every price tier, though IMHO it's not until about $1k that things start to get really good. YMMV and all that.
Well, my collection of Audio gear over time adds up to around 20k but I still justify it by calling other expensive stuff ridiculous 😂 💀 but I’m happy and enjoying it so that’s all that matters. The best is when I try to justify a 2k Iem purchase to someone saying I got a crazy deal from Headfi for like over half off ! I couldn’t not pick it up! 😅

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #69,803 of 90,220

A man dives deep into the depths with Deepchord. Great recommendation @Rockwell75.
This daps sound and build really is incredible. I love it so much! ❤️🔥 only issue is I wish it was a little snappier 🫰

Nov 7, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #69,804 of 90,220
Want to share some opinions on the differences? =) Feel free to redirect me to another page if you already did.
Ok I spent the whole night listening to it. Here is my conclusion.

As soon as I received the Ti99 connected with my new cable with the Traillii Ti. The first impression was the clarity of the sound and how precise it was. The background felt so quiet and clean. This is a sound I expect in a TOTL DAP. I like it in that it is not too over neutral and is closest to a faithful reproduction of the reality of the sound but in areas where it may not be too clear articulates it to be just noticeable. Another thing I always like about the LP is that they don’t oversample and compensate it with putting too much body on the sound. I always say sometimes you have to pay for the quality. Only when you compare it to a less capable DAP will you realize how good this is. The SQ on this is just amazing for the size. It is a very seasoned and precision sound. All this from the improvements with using better transistors, Op-Amp from 7AE and tuning from LP6 Platinum firmware.

• Bass: The bass on the P6PRo Ti99 is tight, punchy, and extended. It has excellent impact and rumble, without being overblown or boomy. The bass is also very well-controlled, and it never gets muddy or distorted, even at high volumes.
  • Mids: The mids on the P6PRo Ti99 are clear, transparent, and natural. Vocals sound realistic and lifelike, and all of the instruments in the mix are well-defined and separated. The mids are also very revealing, and they can expose all of the flaws in a recording, both good and bad. Even the breathes in the vocals are revealed.
  • Highs: The highs on the P6PRo Ti99 are extended and airy, without being harsh or fatiguing. They have excellent sparkle and detail, and they can reproduce even the most delicate sounds with ease. The highs are also very well-integrated with the rest of the frequency spectrum, and they never sound detached or out of place. I blasted it and no hint of distortion even at high volumes.
  • Soundstage and imaging: It has a good soundstage and excellent imaging and will never go too wide since it’s Non oversampling. It can recreate the spatial cues in a recording with great accuracy, and it can place the listener in the middle of the music. The soundstage is also very well-defined, and it doesn't sound artificial or forced.
To get the best out of this you really need a good IEM. The Traillii Ti is just on another level. I tried a HK$10K IEM (which I will not name) but when compared to the Ti bird, you’ll realize how good the Trailli Ti is especially on the vocals. This IEM just sounds good on both the N30LE and Ti99. Consistency is just the quality of a good IEM.

I played a number of different variety of songs on this which I frequently listen to in my collection which really brought out the best in these songs and put it through its pace.

• Destiny’s Child – Stand up for love
  • Prince – I feel for you (Acoustic)
  • Queen – Crazy Little thing called Love
  • Luther Vandross – I let you slide
  • Randy Crawford – Rio De Janeiro Blue
  • T-Square – Just like a Woman
  • Earth, Wind and Fire - September
  • Casiopea – Asayake
  • Hideaki Tokunaga – Hanamizuki
  • David Tao – Blink of the heart
  • Jacky Cheung - 遙遠的她
  • David Foster – St Elmo’s Fire
  • Anzen Chitai – Masquerade
  • Vivaldi Four Seasons: Concerto No. 4 in f minor, Op. 8, RV 297, 'Winter'
  • Lang Lang Debussy - Clair de lune
I find most of the Cantonese Pop, JPop, KPop songs work so well on this DAP. Any heavier music with good beat and bass is more suited to the N30LE where you need a bit more colour to the sound and the power it can bring to the bass with wider sound stage brought on by the oversampling mode and slightly more harmonic distortion. And no I would not use this to drive any OTE headphones even though I tried it with a HD800s and it sounded decent at 58 on the volume. But if comparing to the N30LE, of course the N30LE with its size is more powerful. The sound is also different. The Ti99 is more towards neutral than the N30LE. I would use the N30LE for more heavy songs with strong bass and the rumble is bit more exaggerated in comparison. Also, I tried taking the N30LE out and it really is heavy. I never want to do it again. Saying this, the amp of the N30LE is just top notch. It’s very hard to choose one. It’s really a personal thing. Since I already have the LP6TI I would edge to have the N30LE.

In terms of the exterior design and luxury, I am loving it. It’s so small, light and very portable. As I said I like it very simple as long as the SQ is excellent.

Saying this the UI is the same as the old one and there’s a few things which could do with some improvements such as having playlist custom names, search and sort. Also, maybe a quick way to change volume without having to go back to the song. Overall, I like it since I needed the best SQ in a pocket size DAP with great battery life and LP provided it at less than 300g.

Nov 7, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #69,805 of 90,220

As soon as I received the Ti99 connected with my new cable with the Traillii Ti. The first impression was the clarity of the sound and how precise it was. The background felt so quiet and clean. This is a sound I expect in a TOTL DAP. I like it in that it is not too over neutral and is closest to a faithful reproduction of the reality of the sound but in areas where it may not be too clear articulates it to be just noticeable. Another thing I always like about the LP is that they don’t oversample and compensate it with putting too much body on the sound. I always say sometimes you have to pay for the quality. Only when you compare it to a less capable DAP will you realize how good this is. The SQ on this is just amazing for the size. It is a very seasoned and precision sound. All this from the improvements with using better transistors, Op-Amp from 7AE and tuning from LP6 Platinum firmware.

• Bass: The bass on the P6PRo Ti99 is tight, punchy, and extended. It has excellent impact and rumble, without being overblown or boomy. The bass is also very well-controlled, and it never gets muddy or distorted, even at high volumes.
  • Mids: The mids on the P6PRo Ti99 are clear, transparent, and natural. Vocals sound realistic and lifelike, and all of the instruments in the mix are well-defined and separated. The mids are also very revealing, and they can expose all of the flaws in a recording, both good and bad. Even the breathes in the vocals are revealed.
  • Highs: The highs on the P6PRo Ti99 are extended and airy, without being harsh or fatiguing. They have excellent sparkle and detail, and they can reproduce even the most delicate sounds with ease. The highs are also very well-integrated with the rest of the frequency spectrum, and they never sound detached or out of place. I blasted it and no hint of distortion even at high volumes.
  • Soundstage and imaging: It has a good soundstage and excellent imaging and will never go too wide since it’s Non oversampling. It can recreate the spatial cues in a recording with great accuracy, and it can place the listener in the middle of the music. The soundstage is also very well-defined, and it doesn't sound artificial or forced.
To get the best out of this you really need a good IEM. The Traillii Ti is just on another level. I tried a HK$10K IEM (which I will not name) but when compared to the Ti bird, you’ll realize how good the Trailli Ti is especially on the vocals. This IEM just sounds good on both the N30LE and Ti99. Consistency is just the quality of a good IEM.

I played a number of different variety of songs on this which I frequently listen to in my collection which really brought out the best in these songs and put it through its pace.

• Casiopea – Asayake
  • Jacky Cheung - 遙遠的她
I find most of the Cantonese Pop, JPop, KPop songs work so well on this DAP. Any heavier music with good beat and bass is more suited to the N30LE where you need a bit more colour to the sound and the power it can bring to the bass with wider sound stage brought on by the oversampling mode and slightly more harmonic distortion. And no I would not use this to drive any OTE headphones even though I tried it with a HD800s and it sounded decent at 58 on the volume. But if comparing to the N30LE, of course the N30LE with its size is more powerful. The sound is also different. The Ti99 is more towards neutral than the N30LE. I would use the N30LE for more heavy songs with strong bass and the rumble is bit more exaggerated in comparison. Also, I tried taking the N30LE out and it really is heavy. I never want to do it again. Saying this, the amp of the N30LE is just top notch. It’s very hard to choose one. It’s really a personal thing. Since I already have the LP6TI I would edge to have the N30LE.

In terms of the exterior design and luxury, I am loving it. It’s so small, light and very portable. As I said I like it very simple as long as the SQ is excellent.

Saying this the UI is the same as the old one and there’s a few things which could do with some improvements such as having playlist custom names, search and sort. Also, maybe a quick way to change volume without having to go back to the song. Overall, I like it since I needed the best SQ in a pocket size DAP with great battery life and LP provided it at less than 300g.
I really wish they would all focus on making better sounding small daps instead of super bricks .. the Shanling m3 ultra is my most used product at this point because of the size. I feel like they could definitely cram better sound in the smaller daps, but they purposely only put the magic in the bricks

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #69,806 of 90,220

• Casiopea – Asayake
  • Jacky Cheung - 遙遠的她

Nice that you've shared your playlist. A man enjoys your reviews. 🙂

Nov 7, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #69,807 of 90,220
While im still waiting on the VE Aura 😴

How does it compare to the Traillii?
I cant audition it locally, but it has my interest for a while now.
I have yet to experience it.

Nov 7, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #69,810 of 90,220

Users who are viewing this thread

Back