The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 1, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #65,357 of 90,390
While this is from 1990, the album is new to me - I knew the track ‘Fascinating Rhythm’ from the 90s as it would have had some radio play as the rave scene gained commercial popularity. I discovered recently that it is actually the brilliant William Orbit behind it, which led me to take a listen - now multiple times over the last week, quite literally on repeat. It has that typical Orbit magic touch where you’ve got wonderful synth melodies, pulsing bass lines, often complex drum programming and while some vocal moments and piano riffs can sound a little dated at times, it adds to the overall charm and feeling of melancholy. Overall a fantastic album and delighted to be discovering it 33 years later!

Oh and the track ‘Freaky Angel’ is beautiful, one of those that almost has me in tears.

Tidal: HERE

IMG_7722.jpeg

Oct 1, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #65,358 of 90,390
Actually while on the topic of William Orbit, I must mention the stunning ‘Strange Cargo III’ which I’ve known and loved for many years.

Tidal: HERE

IMG_7740.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 1, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #65,359 of 90,390
The the first time I listened to Storm I was using the R8. That was a good pairing. The second time I did start off with the SP3000 but I was told that it and Storm didn’t work well together. The guy at the booth then let me use their RS8 and that turned out to be really good pairing too.
I haven’t tried the SP3000, so no perspective there.

I can say that I use the RS8 & Storm daily.

Another good combo is the DX320MAX TI & Storm.

Oct 1, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #65,360 of 90,390
I haven’t tried the SP3000, so no perspective there.

I can say that I use the RS8 & Storm daily.

Another good combo is the DX320MAX TI & Storm.
RS8 didn’t work for me with Storm. There was something going on in the Mids and higher register that I couldn’t quite pinpoint but didn’t gel with me.
The DX320Max is on the other hand the perfect pairing with Storm, for my taste!
IMG_0348.jpeg

Oct 1, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #65,361 of 90,390
I liked the Volur as well, but the new Fir Electron 12 is really good. The bass and sub-bass is all there, well defined and controlled, but the treble is clear and articulate. It's not hot in any manner. I think the Electron is in the top of my list for this CanJam.

+1 The Fir Electron 12 is AWESOME. It's a 12mm DD (hence the 12 in the name) and it moves a lot of air. It's got a fairly large sound. Bass is big, full spectrum and full bodied. The real surprise is that the highs are super well extended and airy-- really enjoyed it and will be going back to try it again today. @bogdan belonozhko et al. have something excellent coming with this one.

IMG_7413 2.JPG

I'm spending another night in SoCal so I'll probably have some time this evening to put together a proper impressions post after re-visitng all my favorites today. The biggest takeaway from the show this time for me is that we truly live in a golden age of IEMs-- an embarrassement of riches if you will. Everything I heard today was varying shades of excellent and my show highlights are more a reflection of my own tastes and what I am after right now to complete my collection than anything else. Another obvious caveat is that all my impressions yesterday were done on an LP6, which tends to elevate everything plugged into it. Another interesting thing is that we had some varying thoughts on some of the IEMs this time-- my enthusiasm for some things was not shared by all. My top 3 yesterday were:

1) VE X - Exactly what I was hoping it would be.
2) Empire Raven (in terms of sound...not commentig on everyting else going on with it right now).
3) Fir Electron 12

Runner up: Nightjar Duality, with a shoutout to the UM Amber Pearl which was out of the realm of my tastes (and wallet) generally but I have to admit is the best UM IEM I've heard and basically fixes all my misgivings about the Mentor. Others in our group were less enthusiastic about the VE10 and the Raven, but I'm sure you'll hear about that eventually later. I am going to take an RS8 out with me today and listen to everything I really liked again to get a more balanced picture, and will report back again.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #65,362 of 90,390
He-1 impressions:

IMG_9182.jpeg

Eventful first day. Thanks to @goldwerger @Skyediver I was able to audition the He-1 which I missed the previous Canjam.

The rep advised me to play music that I had a sentimental connection to. Some tracks: (Tchaikovsy, Andrea Bocellii (the prayer), Reflections of Mufasa (Hans Zimmer).

Usually my mind has to piece together components of the music. The realism on He-1 was next level. Very different than Utopia, AB1266, Susvara where I still felt like I was listening to high fidelity music. Cliche to say this but HE-1 sounds "right". Tuning was warm-neutral like a warmer HD 600. Mostly flat slightly romantic meeting tons of speed. There's just enough bass quantity for my preferences. Excellent dynamics and bass punch. Fantastic texture, information, rigidity... space. Speaking of which, I liked the "contained" and slightly intimate staging which made it more engaging. On a metal track though, I felt like it was teethering on having a bit too much upper mid energy. Otherwise, the timbre was excellent for Classical and vocals.

I felt like I was visually seeing a music video with my ears. Live tracks placed me in the crowd where I felt like I could reach out and grab it. In terms of vocals, possibly the most natural sounding I have heard (headphone or iem).

That’s has been my experience, pretty much exactly as you describe it. What a wonderfully experience to have, so glad you got to have it! 😊🙏

Oct 1, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #65,363 of 90,390
You are very welcome! 🙏🏻

Hello. Just saw this Youtube review. Excellent review with a lot of interesting digressions :) The importance of talking about how people hear the same equipment differently can not be mentioned to many times. I believe ignoring this simple fact is making a lot of noise in both ours and other communities. One persons heaven could just as easily be the next ones hell. This applies to all IEMs and more, but talking about the Trifecta in particular, and how different people love or hate it: I have never owned any Campfire IEMs, and do not know how meticulous their qc is. And I do not know exactly how Trifecta is built and solutions used in this IEM. But I believe the construction with tree drivers all playing full frequency range into the same camber, (if this is how it actually is built), could cause some problems if not done with extreme attention to details. If the drivers electrical and mechanical parameters are not identical, and sound waves don't reach end of nozzle equally, wouldn't this cause distortion and cancellations? If there is the slightest difference between drivers and implementation in two sets of Trifectas, and a person is highly sensible to this type of possible distortions, wouldn't that possibly explain differences in perceived sound quality? This of course in addition to taste and preferences :)

Oct 1, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #65,364 of 90,390
+1 The Fir Electron 12 is AWESOME. It's a 12mm DD (hence the 12 in the name) and it moves a lot of air. It's got a fairly large sound. Bass is big, full spectrum and full bodied. The real surprise is that the highs are super well extended and airy-- really enjoyed it and will be going back to try it again today. @bogdan belonozhko et al. have something excellent coming with this one.

IMG_7413 2.JPG

If that’s the cable (looks exactly like RN6’s exclusive copper shielded silver) that ends up included with E12, it’s an instant buy for me LOL 🤭

Oct 1, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #65,365 of 90,390

IMG_7413 2.JPG

I'm spending another night in SoCal so I'll probably have some time this evening to put together a proper impressions post after re-visitng all my favorites today. The biggest takeaway from the show this time for me is that we truly live in a golden age of IEMs-- an embarrassement of riches if you will. Everything I heard today was varying shades of excellent and my show highlights are more a reflection of my own tastes and what I am after right now to complete my collection than anything else. Another obvious caveat is that all my impressions yesterday were done on an LP6, which tends to elevate everything plugged into it. Another interesting thing is that we had some varying thoughts on some of the IEMs this time-- my enthusiasm for some things was not shared by all. My top 3 yesterday were:

1) VE X - Exactly what I was hoping it would be.
2) Empire Raven (in terms of sound...not commentig on everyting else going on with it right now).
3) Fir Electron 12

Runner up: Nightjar Duality, with a shoutout to the UM Amber Pearl which was out of the realm of my tastes (and wallet) generally but I have to admit is the best UM IEM I've heard and basically fixes all my misgivings about the Mentor. Others in our group were less enthusiastic about the VE10 and the Raven, but I'm sure you'll hear about that eventually later. I am going to take an RS8 out with me today and listen to everything I really liked again to get a more balanced picture, and will report back again.
What about the monachaa? Is it good but not good enough to make it into the top 3? 😁
And about Raven, just today I told my dealer is it still possible to cancel my order and change it to Anni '23 but I think both of them have different sound signature and I still want to experience the BCD enhanced bass on Raven, but the fragile shell scares me 😨

Oct 1, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #65,366 of 90,390
What about the monachaa? Is it good but not good enough to make it into the top 3? 😁
And about Raven, just today I told my dealer is it still possible to cancel my order and change it to Anni '23 but I think both of them have different sound signature and I still want to experience the BCD enhanced bass on Raven, but the fragile shell scares me 😨

The Monachaa is really nice, but as a mid-centric set the VEX won the day for me yesterday. Curious to see how things go today...

Oct 1, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #65,369 of 90,390
Mind sharing how VEX compares to VE8 / EXT? c:

It kind of fits in between them and in many ways it's a VE8 with a DD-- same syrupy goodness, but with an unmistakable DD low end. The bass isn't massive, or the star of the show, but it's definitely there. VEs signature romantic and seductive mids are in full effect here. EXT is much more bombastic with dryer treble and unmistakable e-stat timbre up top.

an explosive low end

Not really Oriolus' thing.

Oct 1, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #65,370 of 90,390
Any more Aroma Fei Wan thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back