The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 1, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #65,373 of 90,690
It kind of fits in between them and in many ways it's a VE8 with a DD-- same syrupy goodness, but with an unmistakable DD low end. The bass isn't massive, or the star of the show, but it's definitely there. VEs signature romantic and seductive mids are in full effect here. EXT is much more bombastic with dryer treble and unmistakable e-stat timbre up top.

Not really Oriolus' thing.

Well that does not sound good for my wallet. Returned to the hobby at the wrong time 😆

Oct 1, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #65,374 of 90,690
+1 The Fir Electron 12 is AWESOME. It's a 12mm DD (hence the 12 in the name) and it moves a lot of air. It's got a fairly large sound. Bass is big, full spectrum and full bodied. The real surprise is that the highs are super well extended and airy-- really enjoyed it and will be going back to try it again today. @bogdan belonozhko et al. have something excellent coming with this one.

IMG_7413 2.JPG

I'm spending another night in SoCal so I'll probably have some time this evening to put together a proper impressions post after re-visitng all my favorites today. The biggest takeaway from the show this time for me is that we truly live in a golden age of IEMs-- an embarrassement of riches if you will. Everything I heard today was varying shades of excellent and my show highlights are more a reflection of my own tastes and what I am after right now to complete my collection than anything else. Another obvious caveat is that all my impressions yesterday were done on an LP6, which tends to elevate everything plugged into it. Another interesting thing is that we had some varying thoughts on some of the IEMs this time-- my enthusiasm for some things was not shared by all. My top 3 yesterday were:

1) VE X - Exactly what I was hoping it would be.
2) Empire Raven (in terms of sound...not commentig on everyting else going on with it right now).
3) Fir Electron 12

Runner up: Nightjar Duality, with a shoutout to the UM Amber Pearl which was out of the realm of my tastes (and wallet) generally but I have to admit is the best UM IEM I've heard and basically fixes all my misgivings about the Mentor. Others in our group were less enthusiastic about the VE10 and the Raven, but I'm sure you'll hear about that eventually later. I am going to take an RS8 out with me today and listen to everything I really liked again to get a more balanced picture, and will report back again.
Thank you for sharing this impressions, the general take I get from reading peoples experience is that its a great time to br in the hobby 😄

Did you have a listen to the Aura?

Oct 1, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #65,375 of 90,690
Thank you for sharing this impressions, the general take I get from reading peoples experience is that its a great time to br in the hobby 😄

Did you have a listen to the Aura?
Curious on their aura impressions too since it’s my favorite of all time! They have a similar Driver count with aura 9ba2dd and V10 9ba1dd seems going off impressions from everyone that went and research it seems they are similar with aura leaning slightly more on the analog lush and rich side and V10 more on a tactile and dynamic side but also maintaining that sweet VE timbre looking forward to more impressions VE seems to be on top of the game in my eyes atm

Oct 1, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #65,376 of 90,690
I’m so envious of those of you at Socal - I can’t believe I’ve yet to make a CanJam… said it last year but plans got scuppered at the time but with a few months to go, I might start seriously considering NY in Feb… having never been to New York or CanJam, it would make for a fantastic trip. I must see if a European group might travel with me 🥳

Oct 1, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #65,377 of 90,690
image.jpg
Ok what’s y’all quick opinion on this one?
Excellent IEM IMHO. I still use mine. Excellent bass. Compared to the absolute best the mids are not as good and the treble, while very revealing, can be a bit sharp/harsh depending on the recording. This is my biggest issue with it. Excellent soundstage. Very revealing of the type of cable attached to it if you ever want to hear cable differences. I also felt it took a big leap forward for me when I switched to the AzlaSedna light short ear tips. Most significantly the bass impact increased. I use it with a Horus cable.

Oct 1, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #65,378 of 90,690
Thank you for the feedback I just got them today and I was expecting it to be terrible based on all the big YouTube reviews out there and holy smokes was I surprised 😯 I can see why people wouldn’t like fourte but damn they are impressive to say the least.
Most of the YouTube reviewers have no clue IMHO. There are only a trusted few I typically use.

Oct 1, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #65,379 of 90,690
I'm spending another night in SoCal so I'll probably have some time this evening to put together a proper impressions post after re-visitng all my favorites today.
I’m gobbling up all the impressions you and the Cooler band are sharing! E12 sounds like a winner, can’t wait to hear it at some point.

Oct 1, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #65,380 of 90,690
If that’s the cable (looks exactly like RN6’s exclusive copper shielded silver) that ends up included with E12, it’s an instant buy for me LOL 🤭
Yeah, it's the Rn6 cable, tho it's prerelease so might change.

Oct 1, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #65,381 of 90,690
CanJam is such a great event for so many reasons! I found out just how great this weekend in Socal. For all of us wondering how all the TOTL across most every brand sound, this is a very excellent opportunity to actually try them out. In just one day, I was able to get listening time with:

Fir Rn6/Xe6
CFA Trifecta
Oriolus Trailli
Fir E12
64audio Fourte Noir
Noble Viking Ragnar
Noble Ronin
VE Phonix
VE X
Nightjar Duality
Subtonic Storm
UM Amber Pearl
EE Raven
Softears Enigma
Nostalgia Camelot
FatFreq Grand Maestro
FatFreq Maestro SE
Elysian Annihilator
VE/AK Aura
Canpur
64audio Volur
64audio U12t
64audio U6S
Aroma Fei Wan
Sennheiser ie900

That's a lot of items I don't have to consider as blind potential buys anymore. Did I get enough time to decide on something, maybe not, but did I narrow down possibilities massively, yes!

Add to that the camaraderie and like-minded folks all hanging around talking about the same stuff that no one else in my life is willing to listen to! Sitting with a group of senior, known head fiers at an audition table with multiple TOTL iems is not something you can do everyday. If you enjoy this hobby and see yourself spending some big bucks on it, this event is the must-do hobby meetup.

Thanks Head Fi for an awesome event, it may be my first but it certainly won't be my last!
20230930_160252.jpg

Oct 1, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #65,382 of 90,690
CanJam is such a great event for so many reasons! I found out just how great this weekend in Socal. For all of us wondering how all the TOTL across most every brand sound, this is a very excellent opportunity to actually try them out. In just one day, I was able to get listening time with:

Fir Rn6/Xe6
CFA Trifecta
Oriolus Trailli
Fir E12
64audio Fourte Noir
Noble Viking Ragnar
Noble Ronin
VE Phonix
VE X
Nightjar Duality
Subtonic Storm
UM Amber Pearl
EE Raven
Softears Enigma
Nostalgia Camelot
FatFreq Grand Maestro
FatFreq Maestro SE
Elysian Annihilator
VE/AK Aura
Canpur
64audio Volur
64audio U12t
64audio U6S
Aroma Fei Wan
Sennheiser ie900

That's a lot of items I don't have to consider as blind potential buys anymore. Did I get enough time to decide on something, maybe not, but did I narrow down possibilities massively, yes!

Add to that the camaraderie and like-minded folks all hanging around talking about the same stuff that no one else in my life is willing to listen to! Sitting with a group of senior, known head fiers at an audition table with multiple TOTL iems is not something you can do everyday. If you enjoy this hobby and see yourself spending some big bucks on it, this event is the must-do hobby meetup.

Thanks Head Fi for an awesome event, it may be my first but it certainly won't be my last!
How it sounds :
Ragnar
Storm
Annihilator 2023

Thank you.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #65,383 of 90,690

Fir Rn6/Xe6
CFA Trifecta
Oriolus Trailli
Fir E12
64audio Fourte Noir
Noble Viking Ragnar
Noble Ronin
VE Phonix
VE X
Nightjar Duality
Subtonic Storm
UM Amber Pearl
EE Raven
Softears Enigma
Nostalgia Camelot
FatFreq Grand Maestro
FatFreq Maestro SE
Elysian Annihilator
VE/AK Aura
Canpur
64audio Volur
64audio U12t
64audio U6S
Aroma Fei Wan
Sennheiser ie900

20230930_160252.jpg
A great pic! Wish I was there.

Now for some football!!!

Oct 1, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #65,384 of 90,690

Fir Rn6/Xe6
CFA Trifecta
Oriolus Trailli
Fir E12
64audio Fourte Noir
Noble Viking Ragnar
Noble Ronin
VE Phonix
VE X
Nightjar Duality
Subtonic Storm
UM Amber Pearl
EE Raven
Softears Enigma
Nostalgia Camelot
FatFreq Grand Maestro
FatFreq Maestro SE
Elysian Annihilator
VE/AK Aura
Canpur
64audio Volur
64audio U12t
64audio U6S
Aroma Fei Wan
Sennheiser ie900

20230930_160252.jpg
That's quite a list of IEMs. I would be interested in some impressions of the Softears Enigma, Nostalgia NA12 and the Canpur IEMs.

Oct 1, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #65,385 of 90,690

Users who are viewing this thread

Back