The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 1, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #65,401 of 89,412
How are you liking the Aura? The impressions of this iem are so mixed. I was an owner/lover of the phonix le but some have said the le is better and others swear the aura is better. Hopefully I’ll get to hear it myself sometime.
Maybe I’ll preface by saying this: mids are my least focused portion of the sound spectrum. And the mixed reactions is understandable. I’ve only listened to Phonix in less than a min in show conditions. I think the point of reference for comparison I can relate (perhaps misguidedly) to is EXT. I like AURA as my mid-centric IEM, having missed EXT’s sound after selling it (mostly for fit reasons). AURA has enhanced technicals (wider soundstage, better detail retrieval). I’ve only just received AURA so need more time with it. It’s not so easy to cable roll with AURA since I’m looking for a specific sound profile - eg. I don’t wish to tamper its bass profile too much but I want to refine nano detail retrieval. Point is, I don’t think it’s an IEM issue, but as with most things, it’s what we personally and subjectively want out of our gear 😁

Oct 1, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #65,402 of 89,412
While some were on the Real CanJam, I felt like I was having my own one at home with a bunch of gear around. Good impressions everyone.

1696211604931.png

But, let's start cutting the grass outside and for that I got...

Breathing New Life into Classics with ifi GoPod: Empire Ears Legend X and 64 Audio A12t: A Wild and fun ride

We all know that the future is near. TWS are getting better, wireless protocols are getting better, but some of us still find ourselves holding tight into the nostalgia of our beloved wired IEMs, until the day the knife will finally fall on our cables. This is where the iFi GoPod Adapter enters the scene, promising to be the bridge between yesteryears' classics and today's wireless convenience. Pairing it with my 5-year-old treasures, the Empire Ears Legend X and 64 Audio A12t, was an old dream coming true. The GoBlu's versatility with those fancy replaceable connectors, including the tricky recessed 2pins, makes it the Swiss Army knife of adapters. While Fiio let me down with UTWS5 not having recessed 2-pins connectors…

Hold tight and let's have some fun with these classics and do some comparisons between GoPod and UTWS5 using FatFreq MSE.

Bass and Low Mids: Like the drums of the apocalypse

Kicking things off with Metallica's "Enter Sandman", the immediate sensation was the thunderous authority of the drums. The Empire Ears Legend X's natural prowess in bass rendition felt even more enhanced, capturing every drop and kick with strong energy. It was so good it felt like an elephant was kicking his feet on my side following the music. Transitioning into hip-hop with Kendrick Lamar's "HUMBLE.", the deep, rounded bass lines exemplified the seamless integration of the Legend X and the iFi GoPod, reproducing sub-bass rumble with agility and punch, bringing an smile like meeting that old good friend you haven't seen in some time.

On the other hand, the 64 Audio A12t, when fed with tracks like Five Finger Death Punch "Welcome To The Circus", produced a slightly tighter and more controlled bass, but still punchy like entering the fight club arena instead of a Circus. The double bass drums felt more nuanced, allowing for an intricate appreciation of the rhythm sections. The low mids, especially in hip-hop tracks like Nas' "N.Y. State of Mind", were clear, avoiding any sense of muddiness. The beats hit hard, and the vocals stood strong amidst the commanding bass.

IMG_0031.jpeg

Upper Mids and Treble: Crisp, Clear, and Soaring but not striking

Engaging the higher registers, Iron Maiden's "Hallowed Be Thy Name" served as a nice old school test. The Empire Ears Legend X presented Bruce Dickinson's vocals with a kind smooth clarity, soaring effortlessly above the guitars. The intricate riffs and solos were sharp, yet never piercing, revealing the iFi GoPod's ability to maintain balance across the frequency spectrum.

The 64 Audio A12t, always known for its mids-centric charm, glistened when paired with songs like Dream Theater's "Pull Me Under". James LaBrie's voice felt intimate, while the guitars and keyboards were presented with a crispness that breathed new life into this classic track. The soundstage feeling like I'm mid row mezzanine in an small theatre, intimate but spacious.

IMG_0036.jpeg

A Wild Side Quest: The Fiio UTWS5 & iFi GoPod starring FatFreq MSE

UTWS5 is like Machine Gun Kelly writing songs attacking the GOAT Eminem, just feels like trying too much to get everyone's attention. While Eminem (iFi GoPod), is just…"hold my beer…I have something to show this kid". The GoPod's is so much more refined and technical that feels like an sniper fighting a machine gun, one precise bullet to the heart.

Bass & Low Mids: UTWS5 vs GoPod With the UTWS5, bass felt like a friendly nudge. I had to pull Eminem's "Godzilla" as a great example of big and bold song, that really felt like Godzilla was having fun around my place. While UTWS5 was more prone to the neutral tone.

Upper Mids & Treble: lets give Machine Gun Kelly a chance and bring "Rap Devil" to the fight. UTWS5 sounded spicy and less detailed. GoPod sounded quite balanced with the low end balancing the "ticking" treble. (makes sense "Eminem" getting angry here.)

Final Thoughts: Classics Reimagined

The iFi GoPod Adapter has undoubtedly given my classic IEMs a fresh breath of life. With Empire Ears Legend X, the experience leaned more towards raw power and depth, right were makes it still be one of the best Bass IEMs from the Jurassic era still alive. In contrast, the 64 Audio A12t offered precision and clarity, especially in the mids.

When it comes to rediscovering and appreciating the classics, The iFi GoPod Adapter with the GoBlu outperformed like the seasoned guitarist who nails every solo, while the Fiio UTWS5, bless its heart, was the newbie trying to keep up. For those with a stash of classic IEMs collecting dust, the iFi GoPod might just be the saviour you've been waiting for.

ON a more serious note, GoPod sounds like a big improvement over the UTWS5, but it is still bluetooth and still feels like using hearing aid. But it's a clear example of path this technology is taking and just makes me seat patiently waiting for the big leap and disruptive release of real High-Res wireless audio (above 1.4mbs) to mainstream.

IMG_0037.jpeg

PS.: Just to point something that could be better…The caring/charging case, it is huge, but at the same time not deep enough my IEMs still hit the lid and force open sometimes.

Oct 2, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #65,403 of 89,412
Oct 2, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #65,404 of 89,412
The Shirogane just arrived ! thanks to @MusicTeck , this is by far the best looking cable i got well paired with Viking RPKE !
IMG_0456.jpg

Oct 2, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #65,405 of 89,412
It’s not so easy to cable roll with AURA since I’m looking for a specific sound profile - eg. I don’t wish to tamper its bass profile too much but I want to refine nano detail retrieval. Point is, I don’t think it’s an IEM issue, but as with most things, it’s what we personally and subjectively want out of our gear 😁

Sounds like Iliad might do the trick

Oct 2, 2023 at 12:33 AM Post #65,406 of 89,412
The Shirogane just arrived ! thanks to @MusicTeck , this is by far the best looking cable i got well paired with Viking RPKE !IMG_0456.jpg
Fantastic match! You like this pairing more than First Times Shielding? Mine currently pairs with First Times Shielding but still eyeing for the Shirogane 8w🤤

Oct 2, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #65,407 of 89,412
Waiting for more impressions of the Nightjar Sovereign Symphony!

Oct 2, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #65,408 of 89,412
I’ve heard two folks say that Amber Pearl is relative to Storm which makes me keen to try it.

Anyone think they’ll offer it as a standalone IEM one day?
I am actually thinking to get the player while selling AP🤣

Oct 2, 2023 at 12:55 AM Post #65,409 of 89,412
Fantastic match! You like this pairing more than First Times Shielding? Mine currently pairs with First Times Shielding but still eyeing for the Shirogane 8w🤤
Yeah I love it more than with FTS, the shirogane makes the treble even better than FTS, and the extension is amazing like Yatono ultimate 8 but comes with a silver cable texture.

Oct 2, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #65,410 of 89,412
Sounds like Iliad might do the trick
thank you for the suggestion. Personally, I’ll venture a guess that it might not work for my inclination. Orph provides a black background, whilst boosting the bass and potentially not mucking the higher registers. But maybe I’ll try Iliad one of these days :)

Oct 2, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #65,411 of 89,412
Nothing wrong with any of these! My preference seems to be leaning to Aroma Fei Wan, better to me than jewel and any of these. I need more time with Raven. I listened to Anni some more and think it's too bright up top for me, where Fei Wan is one of the most perfectly balanced TOTL I've heard that still delivers a satisfying bass!
Thank you

Oct 2, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #65,413 of 89,412
thank you for the suggestion. Personally, I’ll venture a guess that it might not work for my inclination. Orph provides a black background, whilst boosting the bass and potentially not mucking the higher registers. But maybe I’ll try Iliad one of these days :)
My bad. Thought you were rolling from stock not the Orphies 😆

Oct 2, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #65,414 of 89,412
My bad. Thought you were rolling from stock not the Orphies 😆
I did feel that the stock cable made it sound a little anaemic or “underpowered” 🫢

Oct 2, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #65,415 of 89,412
I did feel that the stock cable made it sound a little anaemic or “underpowered” 🫢
I ordered the EA Chiron Nova for the Aura. But it will take a few weeks before I get it. Ill share my experience with them once I do

Users who are viewing this thread

Back