The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 11, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #6,376 of 89,882
Pat methany
Thievery corporation
Zero 7
Morcheba
Antonio Carlos jobim
Lana del ray

Speaking of lists, I still have to compile a list of some of my favourite ambient for you - completely forgot!

Dec 11, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #6,377 of 89,882
Dec 11, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #6,378 of 89,882
That would be awesome :)

Substrata certainly on that list and good to see it as one of the few ambient included in that Discogs link.

Dec 11, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #6,379 of 89,882
Substrata certainly on that list and good to see it as one of the few ambient included in that Discogs link.
I love substrata. One of my favourite albums :)
In listening to Helios right now

Dec 11, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #6,380 of 89,882
I love substrata. One of my favourite albums :)
In listening to Helios right now

I'm listening to 'Borderlands' by Evan Bartholomew (of Bluetech fame - well in dub/psychill electronica!) - for this, he puts out a stunning ambient/neo-classical album, comes with my highest recommendation.

Borderlands" is neo-classical, ambient minimalism at its very
finest. Evan aka Bluetech has produced a brilliant ambient CD, and
created his own unique brand of soundtrack music for the expanses of
imagination in your mind. Reminiscent of Eno, Glass, Reich and the
current innovators of ambient music, Borderlands" is a
distinctive and creative masterpiece that continually breaks new
ground. It is easily on a par with some of the most provocative
soundtracks of late.

The conceptual foundation of the project is a collaboration between Evan and writer Eve LadyApples. A mutual fascination with the liminal, the transformational space between and outside of defined aspects of reality, led to the idea for Borderlands, an exploration of eight different liminal spaces: birth, memory, dream, fever, medicine, practice, death and tomorrow. Each of these are being explored musically in couplets, as the space between two linked tracks. Original poetry in the liner notes offers a further development of the concepts being accessed through the music.

Dec 11, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #6,381 of 89,882
Our PO isn’t usually open on Sat but they are today because of the holidays, which means…I got waifus:

A50ADF57-8C8B-4046-BE28-2A34BC4AA579.jpeg

Not even sure I want to open them since I’m pretty sure I won’t be keeping them.

Dec 11, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #6,382 of 89,882
6 actually on further inspection! Disgraceful I don't own A Love Supreme, didn't know there was a newer Kurt Vile - definitely need to resolve those two and open to consider the other 4!

Still Life (Talking)
A Love Supreme
Wave
Born To Die
Let’s Get It On
Bottle it In
PM'd to see if we can bring some culture to Ireland. Having high hopes!

drftr

Dec 11, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #6,383 of 89,882
Our PO isn’t usually open on Sat but they are today because of the holidays, which means…I got waifus:

A50ADF57-8C8B-4046-BE28-2A34BC4AA579.jpeg

Not even sure I want to open them since I’m pretty sure I won’t be keeping them.
kato.jpg

what the.. open it asap and tell us how it sounds!

Dec 11, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #6,384 of 89,882
That’s why I choose not to judge anything and take anything as absolute ,and be more of a witness in life
Unfortunately I'm not as gifted as you. Simply example that I often run in to when travelling: If I see someone kicking a dog or a donkey or whatever then I ask him why he's doing so. If he turns around and kicks again as an answer then he receives my "respect" until he understands what might be wrong. I'm one who thinks shrugging my shoulders at everything is not going to help anyone, with the ones literally or figuratively being kicked not always being able to stand up for themselves. Does that mean they need to be in pain or die? Not as long as I'm around for sure; no matter whether I know the person I'm defending or not. I would partially agree if you said I'm doing this for myself for sure. Empathy makes my world go 'round. But I realize there's many others.

drftr

Dec 11, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #6,385 of 89,882
Watercooler Chart Toppers Dec 2021 Edition

(In order of $$)

1) VE Phonix
2) UM MEST Indigo
3) Dunu Zen Pro
4) 7HZ Timeless

Am I missing anything? These seem to be the most hyped IEMs in this thread over the last couple weeks. Caveat: To qualify I considered only those which have been hyped by at least 2-3 regular contributors to this thread.
EXT?
Congrats to @gLer for his epic and excellent Ifi Blu review making it to the front page.
Much appreciated. It's now my go-to source for the IR900.n
Yes indeed, and a nice review! That's ones high on my list, though reports of hiss and weak Bluetooth connection are giving me some pause, especially since I already have an es100.
There's no audible hiss at at any volume with the IE 900 or EVO. I wouldn't be surprised if it hisses with Andro and Solaris in balanced mode. BT has been rock solid with me (LG V30+).

Dec 11, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #6,386 of 89,882
Unfortunately I'm not as gifted as you. Simply example that I often run in to when travelling: If I see someone kicking a dog or a donkey or whatever then I ask him why he's doing so. If he turns around and kicks again as an answer then he receives my "respect" until he understands what might be wrong. I'm one who thinks shrugging my shoulders at everything is not going to help anyone, with the ones literally or figuratively being kicked not always being able to stand up for themselves. Does that mean they need to be in pain or die? Not as long as I'm around for sure; no matter whether I know the person I'm defending or not. I would partially agree if you said I'm doing this for myself for sure. Empathy makes my world go 'round. But I realize there's many others.

drftr
Really great analogy. I am not going to get involved here, as I can see all the sides.

Dec 11, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #6,387 of 89,882

At least listen to them. You might be surprised as I sorta was earlier when I tried out Zen Pro. WHAT a great IEM. I first tried Halsey "More" and tried out the sub bass and other bass. Then I listened to an oldie from Chicago," 25 or 6 to 4" to hear some brass then Chet Baker for a single trumpet. As a boy, I played the trumpet for 6 years and piano for 4. Tone and timber is damn good. Bass that I initally thought a touch lacking was as nicely balanced as every thing else. Listened to some Randy Newman , Dr. John and Bill Evans.
I now agree with Jeff's assessment of the Zen Pros. They are as good or better than the vast majority of my collection.
Zen pro cable was stock w/4.4 connection and source was Shanling M6 Pro 21.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #6,388 of 89,882
Does anyone know if I can disable links converting to embedded albums from Bandcamp? Putting together a list, in a spoiler but there are quite a few and best just to have the URLs. I wonder if putting it as a quote maybe?

Dec 11, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #6,389 of 89,882
At least listen to them. You might be surprised as I sorta was earlier when I tried out Zen Pro. WHAT a great IEM. I first tried Halsey "More" and tried out the sub bass and other bass. Then I listened to an oldie from Chicago," 25 or 6 to 4" to hear some brass then Chet Baker for a single trumpet. As a boy, I played the trumpet for 6 years and piano for 4. Tone and timber is damn good. Bass that I initally thought a touch lacking was as nicely balanced as every thing else. Listened to some Randy Newman , Dr. John and Bill Evans.
I now agree with Jeff's assessment of the Zen Pros. They are as good or better than the vast majority of my collection.
Zen pro cable was stock w/4.4 connection and source was Shanling M6 Pro 21.

Excellent - I love to read more love for ZEN PRO as I nudges me further towards buying myself a set! Interestingly, the 2nd person in the ZEN PRO tour actually prefers the OG ZEN... tour unit on it's way to the 3rd person now.

Dec 11, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #6,390 of 89,882

drftr
Being a witness it's not equal to inactivity at all. I can understand taking it the wrong way. I meant from a mental standpoint and being more resolute in thoughts that results in being more present and in touch with life.
It's being detached form the pseudo emotions created by judgements, ideas and thoughts.
Emphathy, love and care for other beings and life in general comes from a deeper place and is spontaneous. Every child is born with it before forming thought structures , that often mask this natural attributes with the evolution of time. I didn't mean that you should just close yours to everything and just do nothing about what happens around you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back