The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 11, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #6,391 of 91,355
Being a witness it's not equal to inactivity at all. I can understand taking it the wrong way. I meant from a mental standpoint and being more resolute in thoughts that results in being more present and in touch with life.
It's being detached form the pseudo emotions created by judgements, ideas and thoughts.
Emphathy, love and care for other beings and life in general comes from a deeper place and is spontaneous. Every child is born with it before forming thought structures , that often mask this natural attributes with the evolution of time. I didn't mean that you should just close yours to everything and just do nothing about what happens around you.
A thoughtful and genuine response. Both of you have valid points. Now lets hug it out. hahah

Dec 11, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #6,394 of 91,355

what the.. open it asap and tell us how it sounds!

I feel a little indulgent-- since ordering this Kato I ordered and received the Zen Pro and just ordered Timeless and RU6. To placate my conscience I thought I'd just pass on the Kato, leave in its factory wrap and return it. Curiosity will likely get the better of me though lol.

EXT would have topped the November charts-- enthusiasm seems to have died down a bit...not that it matters to me...general sentiment around Elysium waxed and waned for over a year before I heard it and fell in love with it. The charts was just supposed to be a snapshot of this moment. As also indicated I'd like to do some sort of 2021 Watercooler ranking before the end of the year....would love to have your input :D.

At least listen to them. You might be surprised as I sorta was earlier when I tried out Zen Pro. WHAT a great IEM. I first tried Halsey "More" and tried out the sub bass and other bass. Then I listened to an oldie from Chicago," 25 or 6 to 4" to hear some brass then Chet Baker for a single trumpet. As a boy, I played the trumpet for 6 years and piano for 4. Tone and timber is damn good. Bass that I initally thought a touch lacking was as nicely balanced as every thing else. Listened to some Randy Newman , Dr. John and Bill Evans.
I now agree with Jeff's assessment of the Zen Pros. They are as good or better than the vast majority of my collection.
Zen pro cable was stock w/4.4 connection and source was Shanling M6 Pro 21.

Glad you're liking it. Zen Pro currently sits below only Elysium and Traillii out of everything I've heard to date. The bass seems subdued at first yes-- especially in comparison to Duo & Dorado...but everything is there. It is indeed like the bass in the Solaris-- every nuance of every thump is felt, even though it never really calls attention to itself.

Excellent - I love to read more love for ZEN PRO as I nudges me further towards buying myself a set! Interestingly, the 2nd person in the ZEN PRO tour actually prefers the OG ZEN... tour unit on it's way to the 3rd person now.

OG has more bass and more upper mids...this may be right up some people's alley. Though once you get used to Zen Pro's bass it's hard to find anything lacking.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #6,395 of 91,355
If nothing else, the Zen Pro is the best single DD IEM I have ever heard. I also like the OG Zen, but it is not as balanced as the Pro. I think Isa should be the number 2 in any DD IEM list, Kato might be #4.
You just have to know that Dunu has some talented people to get such balanced sound from the Pro. It makes them a brand to be reckoned with in the future.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #6,396 of 91,355
If nothing else, the Zen Pro is the best single DD IEM I have ever heard. I also like the OG Zen, but it is not as balanced as the Pro. I think Isa should be the number 2 in any DD IEM list, Kato might be #4.

It is-- which places it high in the running for best ever imho. Single DDs afford an amazing coherence-- the whole soundscape manifests as one cohesive, unified and entire structure of sound that, when coupled with natural bodied DD timbre, allows for us to be immersed in a sonic palace of natural grandeur and engagement that capture's both one's heart and attention in a way that hasn't yet been fully replicated in hybrid or non-DD setups-- at least to my ears. Traillii may be the only exception to this I've heard but I haven't yet spent unbroken days with one so ultimately the jury's still out on that one for me.

Edit:

Isa is definitely number 2 of the single DDs I've heard.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #6,397 of 91,355
Everything I own a fiio fdx which is fantastic, I really want the zen pro now! Has anybody headed the Luna? That’s another one on my list!

Dec 11, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #6,398 of 91,355
Everything I own a fiio fdx which is fantastic, I really want the zen pro now! Has anybody headed the Luna? That’s another one on my list!
How do you like the FDX/FD7? Or let me re-phrase: What would you like to see improved in an MkII version?

I have just sent out a message to the Spanish Dunu dealer to see if it's possible at all to arrange a Zen Pro & Luna demo abbroad. Possibly we could make it a touring package. Just let me know in case you'd be up for that.

drftr

Dec 11, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #6,399 of 91,355
@gazzington and indeed anyone else that appreciates ambient or electronic music of the more chilled variety. I was going to drop links to each album as a spoiler but it would be hard to navigate so I've listed in a PDF and attached.

I will have no doubt missed quite a few, just going through contents of my DAP - many of my albums still not digitized. I typically consider ambient in the true sense to have no beats but make exceptions for albums like 76:14 by Global Communication which has very minimal beats in some tracks, likewise their absolutely stunning reworking of Chapterhouse 'Blood Music' - Pentamerous Metamorphis which along with being one of my favourite albums ever, was thankfully reissued recently as part of a CD and vinyl set, of which I had to buy both! I'll link to Bancamp where applicable, otherwise Discogs. Oh and also naturally some crossover modern classical stuff here too. If I were to include ambient techno, I'd be listing for hours on end!

Anyway... in no particular order and spanning from the 70's to this year.

Attachments

• Scuba Album List.pdf
    45.9 KB · Views: 0
Dec 11, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #6,400 of 91,355
Dec 11, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #6,401 of 91,355
@gazzington and indeed anyone else that appreciates ambient or electronic music of the more chilled variety. I was going to drop links to each album as a spoiler but it would be hard to navigate so I've listed in a PDF and attached.

I will have no doubt missed quite a few, just going through contents of my DAP - many of my albums still not digitized. I typically consider ambient in the true sense to have no beats but make exceptions for albums like 76:14 by Global Communication which has very minimal beats in some tracks, likewise their absolutely stunning reworking of Chapterhouse 'Blood Music' - Pentamerous Metamorphis which along with being one of my favourite albums ever, was thankfully reissued recently as part of a CD and vinyl set, of which I had to buy both! I'll link to Bancamp where applicable, otherwise Discogs. Oh and also naturally some crossover modern classical stuff here too. If I were to include ambient techno, I'd be listing for hours on end!

Amazing! Thank you for the time put into this

Dec 11, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #6,403 of 91,355
Unfortunately I'm not as gifted as you. Simply example that I often run in to when travelling: If I see someone kicking a dog or a donkey or whatever then I ask him why he's doing so. If he turns around and kicks again as an answer then he receives my "respect" until he understands what might be wrong. I'm one who thinks shrugging my shoulders at everything is not going to help anyone, with the ones literally or figuratively being kicked not always being able to stand up for themselves. Does that mean they need to be in pain or die? Not as long as I'm around for sure; no matter whether I know the person I'm defending or not. I would partially agree if you said I'm doing this for myself for sure. Empathy makes my world go 'round. But I realize there's many others.

drftr

Being a witness it's not equal to inactivity at all. I can understand taking it the wrong way. I meant from a mental standpoint and being more resolute in thoughts that results in being more present and in touch with life.
It's being detached form the pseudo emotions created by judgements, ideas and thoughts.
Emphathy, love and care for other beings and life in general comes from a deeper place and is spontaneous. Every child is born with it before forming thought structures , that often mask this natural attributes with the evolution of time. I didn't mean that you should just close yours to everything and just do nothing about what happens around you.

I love that there's this deep & sincere philosophical discussion woven in between all these random audio blurbs. Love life at the watercooler. Cheers friends, thank-you for being you :)

In other news I took the Duo out for a couple hours today and was totally enraptured by it-- bigger bass, less technical than Zen Pro-- but what a fantastic listen. Will wind up 2 or 3 on my year list for sure.

Dec 11, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #6,404 of 91,355
You will have a hard time finding a Luna, but a Luna Pro may be the next High end IEM from Dunu.

I am so happy with my Zen Pro that I went to the Satin website to refresh my memory about Zeus and Athena materials. I think some silver might add to Zen Pro sound. WHAT did I find but a Zeus 25% off group buy. I promptly filled out the form for an 8 strand MMCX Zeus. Don't have to pay until its over on December 27, 2021. With the sound I am getting out of my stock Zen Pro cable, I do not mind waiting.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #6,405 of 91,355

Thanks mate :) That’s absolutely awesome. I’ll be busy in Bandcamp for quite a while!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back