The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 13, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #61,396 of 90,039
Insanity. Supermoon was the first truly great planar IEM I heard and I've been eagerly awaiting the "next level up" on that front...unfortunately this one is priced out of my willingness zone. There isn't much I'm really looking forward to at this point but more solid planar IEM options in the ~$2k price range is definitely at the top of my wish list.

Yes! I totally agree!
“Insanity” seems to be an overall perfect summary of the current pool of TOTL IEMs on the market! Yet, manufacturers keep producing more and more expensive products, which means it must have a demand for it?!
I guess “insanity” level is different for different people! When you think about it, even looking at the gear you have, I’m pretty sure for 99.99999% people, Trifecta and LP6 would be hitting the insanity line pretty hard, right?! :ksc75smile:
Even AirPods Pro, for that matter, would be perceived as inconceivable for a good chunk of the world’s population!
Anyways, I don’t mean to find excuses for those crazy prices, which I also find over the top (I mean, who on earth wants prices to go up?!), but even though we never had that many kilobucks offerings, it is also true that we never had that many top quality affordable options, even in the budget category! So I guess we should be happy about that! :)

In the case of P0, it’s limited to 66 units, so it’s clearly not aimed at the masses!
At that price, it’s there to challenge the big guns like MM, FS, Jewel, Traillii, Storm and so on. And in the end, in that category it’s not doing too bad IMHO! At least it’s a limited and numbered set and it’s full metal built, as opposed to most uber expensive options…
I’m emphasizing the fact that it is metal built, because it seems to have a significant impact on the price! I recall discussing by email with sir Jim from Noble (great man btw! :)), when I broke my KK, and he was saying metal housing were quite expensive to produce. Like at least 150x the price of plastic ones, and you would typically need to order several thousands units for a factory to even consider making it. So I imagine if you only want to make 66 , it must have a cost…

Now don’t get me wrong! I’m not trying to make it look cheap or say it’s worth its price! All I’m trying to say is that it’s probably not the worst of the bunch (which doesn’t really make things much better)! :D

wow ! thanks for making it even more complicated for me. never knew this one. haven’t searched yet but is there any reviews reflecting your experience ? or perhaps your impressions ? against MM and traillli ? i name these two as in my view they have become benchmark iems.

Yeah! If you don’t want to break the bank and have a top sounding set, the LCD i4 are fantastic! You can even find them from Audeze in B stock for fairly cheap (by today’s summit fi standard)! I’ve had them since their release in 2017 I believe, and they are still some of the best out there IMHO!
If you’re interested, just know they are full open back (with all the benefits and drawbacks it brings) so they are more like in ear headphones than IEMs. Also, you’ll have to EQ them (a lot!) to sound correctly, which can be an issue with some DAPs that don’t have good EQ. And finally, you’ll need a fairly powerful DAP to get the best out of them. By themselves they don’t require so much power to get loud, but they scale quite a lot with power I find. And also, the DAP needs enough juice to be able to compensate for the (dramatic) EQ.
I personally found LP6 to be the best DAP for the i4. It’s actually why I purchased LP6 in the first place!

@Rockwell75 I know you already tried the i4, but now that you have the LP6, you should give them another try! I’m pretty sure you’ll like them a lot! :ksc75smile:

After dealing with Simphonio after sale service for my VR1, I would be very cautious of it.

I rather wait for Madoo 821.
Oh ok! Thanks for the info! That’s good to know!
Are you living in China? I ask, because they mostly do business in China it seems, which could explain the after sale problem if you purchased from abroad.
I’m not planning on staying in China forever, so I might run into the issue someday too!
The rep guy seems nice, but yeah… it’s always nice when you don’t have issues…
Let’s see! I just hope I won’t have to deal with after sale ever! :D

Wish you all a nice day!

Cheers,

Julien

Jul 13, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #61,397 of 90,039
Cross posting some brief impressions from the FATfreq thread, listening to Grand Maestro with Blue Control NOAH module installed.

I have to admit, I was so taken with the GM's default tuning pairing with the standard Black NOAH module, I really hadn't spent much time getting to know the Blue modules. I can understand the lack of impressions, given how enthralling the default config is.

This past week, I made a point of fixing that, and I have to say it has left me even more impressed with the GM's technical capabilities! It may have displaced my Mach 80s as my go to for classical.

Some folks don't like the look of the Blue module... I really lucked out on my custom plates and body color, no matter which module I choose I have a matching channel IEM :) Looks great IMO

20230712_102234.jpg

I find with Blue module installed, I am mainly rolling with the vocal switch active, for what (to plot at least) is the lowest Bass response, but also some reduced treble. In this mode I find the GM becomes a wonderful platform to listen to acoustic, chamber and vocal pieces:

Despite the comparably modest sub bass levels, the slightly warmer (relative) emphasis for Blues ensure there is still extension and impact when called for down low, while favoring the slightly more upper bass presence of natural instrumentation - very well executed.

Retro electronic also phenomenal:

Most of all, been enjoying the heck out of the new Zappa release though, the blues sure brings Frank to life!

https://open.qobuz.com/album/s44gianu8d3nc

It is absolutely stunning to me that going on 9 months plus of ownership, I am STILL discovering the extent of the GM's capabilities... this transformer can bring its best for every occasion!

Jul 13, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #61,398 of 90,039
Watercoolers,

Is anyone here using the Chord Hugo 2 currently with their IEMs? Convenience aside, is it still a viable option or would it just be better to get another DAP?

I really want to know if the Hugo 2 Pairs well with the IEMs in my signature? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all in advance.

Jul 13, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #61,399 of 90,039
Cross posting some brief impressions from the FATfreq thread, listening to Grand Maestro with Blue Control NOAH module installed.

I have to admit, I was so taken with the GM's default tuning pairing with the standard Black NOAH module, I really hadn't spent much time getting to know the Blue modules. I can understand the lack of impressions, given how enthralling the default config is.

This past week, I made a point of fixing that, and I have to say it has left me even more impressed with the GM's technical capabilities! It may have displaced my Mach 80s as my go to for classical.

Some folks don't like the look of the Blue module... I really lucked out on my custom plates and body color, no matter which module I choose I have a matching channel IEM :) Looks great IMO

20230712_102234.jpg

I find with Blue module installed, I am mainly rolling with the vocal switch active, for what (to plot at least) is the lowest Bass response, but also some reduced treble. In this mode I find the GM becomes a wonderful platform to listen to acoustic, chamber and vocal pieces:

Despite the comparably modest sub bass levels, the slightly warmer (relative) emphasis for Blues ensure there is still extension and impact when called for down low, while favoring the slightly more upper bass presence of natural instrumentation - very well executed.

Retro electronic also phenomenal:

Most of all, been enjoying the heck out of the new Zappa release though, the blues sure brings Frank to life!

https://open.qobuz.com/album/s44gianu8d3nc

It is absolutely stunning to me that going on 9 months plus of ownership, I am STILL discovering the extent of the GM's capabilities... this transformer can bring its best for every occasion!

I think I'll need to give the blue ones a try and finally unpack them. Do you just pull the black one out with your fingers and push the blue ones into the hole?

Will the bass vanish then? My beloved GM bass ... 😭 😇🤣

Jul 13, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #61,400 of 90,039
I’m pretty sure for 99.99999% people, Trifecta and LP6 would be hitting the insanity line pretty hard, right?! :ksc75smile:

Oh for real I didn't mean to imply otherwise. We in this thread are definitely in the rarefied ozone of this hobby. I came a cross a comment on Reddit the other day discussing price tiers and in the context of that community/discussion $25 was considered "budget" and $200+ was considered "flagship". My own opinion is that it's not until you get to about $1K that diminishing returns really starts to kick in. In my experience most IEM's above that tend to be a lot closer in performance than is often let on and distinguished mostly by a fixation some particular flavor or technical specialty. I thought about sharing this opinion in that Reddit thread but did not as it would have just gotten me flamed to death.

@Rockwell75 I know you already tried the i4, but now that you have the LP6, you should give them another try! I’m pretty sure you’ll like them a lot! :ksc75smile:

I liked them a lot when I heard them (with either the Shanling M8 or M9...I forget what I had at the time). I found they needed copious amounts of EQ but overall they sounded great to me and are definitely a portable benchmark in terms of SQ. The deal breakers with me for that set are 1) large nozzles which mean you have to use their proprietary tips, which don't fit me very well (a common issue for me with tips) and 2) completely open sound which does not fit my general use case. I imagine it would sound great with the LP6.

In other news Fir Frontier tour kit containing all 4 Frontier Series IEMs as well as my Nightjar Singularity are as of yesterday on their way ....I'm super stoked to hear the Singularity and Rn6 again.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #61,401 of 90,039
Oh for real I didn't mean to imply otherwise. We in this thread are definitely in the rarefied ozone of this hobby. I came a cross a comment on Reddit the other day discussing price tiers and in the context of that community/discussion $25 was considered "budget" and $200+ was considered "flagship". My own opinion is that it's not until you get to about $1K that diminishing returns really starts to kick in. In my experience most IEM's above that tend to be a lot closer in performance than is often let on and distinguished mostly by a fixation some particular flavor or technical specialty. I thought about sharing this opinion in that Reddit thread but did not as it would have just gotten me flamed to death.
Compared to Head-Fi, Reddit is toxic. Everything not accepted by the unwritten rules of reddit audiophiles will get debunked or ignored, often recommending the same stuff year after year even if it has come new development and it is outdated.

I belive that flagship is the best of the best from the top. To call something budget tier depends on peoples economy and value of sound.

Jul 13, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #61,402 of 90,039
Compared to Head-Fi, Reddit is toxic. Everything not accepted by the unwritten rules of reddit audiophiles will get debunked or ignored,

Reddit is a weird mixture of different social streams. My picture of a typical Redditor (when it comes to IEMs) is an extreme objectivist with a chip on his shoulder about anything beyond modestly priced gear.

often recommending the same stuff year after year even if it has come new development and it is outdated.

Three or four years ago the ranges of tastes in portable gear was more varied there. Ever since the influencer crowd consolidated and took over the focus has been much more Chi-Fi oriented.

I belive that flagship is the best of the best from the top. To call something budget tier depends on peoples economy and value of sound.

Indeed-- I just brought Reddit up as it's at the extreme other end of the spectrum as this thread when it comes to average price of gear discussed.

Jul 13, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #61,403 of 90,039
Cayin N7 has taken me with storm, never thought I would get such in love with a DAP. Been desktop and dongle user for years.
First time testing the lineout and it is super good, compared to my E70 DAC with ESS the sound is crisper. E70 is more like a small layer of cloth is smoothening the sound, N7 has also some extra warmth with a little more resolution.
Soundstage more wide and deep with better layering.
Drums is clearly more visceral, going trough some rock and metal now and I love it.

Need to test more, but I am impressed. Happy I took the chance to move to a higher end DAP.

DSCF3052 1.jpg

Jul 13, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #61,404 of 90,039
@Rockwell75 Astute observations on Redditors that concur with my take on this, I would add they are also typically quite young which might explain radical views...

@Leonarfd Congrats, it's an amazing DAP and to me punches with the bigger boys and then some, hours of bliss ahead :D

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #61,405 of 90,039
I guess manufacturers charge a premium on their totl's as they know only a few will buy them and they could've put there energies into making cheaper gear that would sell in larger volumes?
I used to think £200 - £300 hundred was a lot of money for a dap or iem, now I don't blink spending a few thousand.

Jul 13, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #61,406 of 90,039
Cayin N7 has taken me with storm, never thought I would get such in love with a DAP. Been desktop and dongle user for years.
First time testing the lineout and it is super good, compared to my E70 DAC with ESS the sound is crisper. E70 is more like a small layer of cloth is smoothening the sound, N7 has also some extra warmth with a little more resolution.
Drums is clearly more visceral, going trough some rock and metal now and I love it.

Need to test more, but I am impressed. Happy I took the chance to move to a higher end DAP.

I concur, absolutely loving this DAP. I plan on writing up some impressions against the M9 and Mojo 2 this weekend when I get a moment but so far this is really impressing me… especially via line and pre out to the C9. The words I’d use to describe the N7 are: natural, convincing, effortless, spacious, sure footed.

Jul 13, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #61,407 of 90,039

DSCF3052 1.jpg
This post makes me want to order N7 but i dont have the money for it :D
Maybe i will start with a budget friendly DAP first.

Jul 13, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #61,408 of 90,039
AüR Audio Aurora landed…

IMG_5229.jpeg

IMG_5242.jpeg

Jul 13, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #61,409 of 90,039
Jul 13, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #61,410 of 90,039
Compared to Head-Fi, Reddit is toxic. Everything not accepted by the unwritten rules of reddit audiophiles will get debunked or ignored, often recommending the same stuff year after year even if it has come new development and it is outdated.

Reddit, where most folks are too stingy and unimaginative that they stick to a few (budget) cliché models, too egotistical to recognise that their stuffs might not sound as good as those high-end stuffs (that they have never tried, but likely lie about having done so), and would hide behind a few “science” authority to attack anyone who is happy to share a new amp or DAC or expensive gear.

Yes, diminishing return is strong, but it does not mean there is no gain after a certain low bar that they set.

And yeah, I’m tired to adding layers of preambles on my reviews that “source’s changes are very subtle”. It’s there, it’s audible, it’s significant. If you pair your fancy IEM with apple dongle only, you are gimping your expensive investment, not “winning the game”, “outsmarting audiofool”. You are the fool.

That’s my rant for today :dt880smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back