The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 13, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #61,381 of 89,000
Jul 13, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #61,382 of 89,000
It is almost shocking to me how fast the market progresses. Many of the brands on that list are new to me, newer heard of them. It is almost as fast-paced as threads on head-fi... very often I can't even keep up as possible replies to my bits get buried haha

I truly miss those days... demo a few, get one or two and be set for years and years to come.
The IEM world does indeed move quickly, especially in the lower price tiers. I’ve been trying to keep up with the constant wave of new releases on the discovery thread and it feels like there’s something new almost every day.

The TOTL end of the market doesn’t move quite so fast, but there’s still more than enough new releases throughout the year to keep the hype trains chugging along and our wallets in a perpetual state of panic 🤭

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #61,383 of 89,000
Jul 13, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #61,384 of 89,000
for the storm you mention “A reference lovers dream without sounding boring or sterile”. i see this comment pretty often for the storm. i’d like to understand what is “reference” sound ? how does it differ from say mentors sound ?
I think the definition of reference will differ depending on who you ask and I’m no expert so take my comments with a grain of salt. But to me, “reference” or “neutral” sounds like each section of the FR is represented evenly, with no perceivable dips or peaks, and the mids sound balanced between lower and upper.

Mentor to me sounds too tonally warm and has quite elevated bass and treble to be considered reference, at least in the way I understand reference.

Jul 13, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #61,385 of 89,000
I truly miss those days... demo a few, get one or two and be set for years and years to come.
This makes two of us. The same can be said on other gadgets. Phones for example. I miss the days when iphones or samsung takes longer that what it is now before releasing something new.

The TOTL end of the market doesn’t move quite so fast but there’s still more than enough new releases throughout the year to keep the hype trains chugging along and our wallets in a perpetual state of panic 🤭
Agreed. That's why they say save up for something $500 where the sweet spot is in terms of price to performance ratio. But sometimes, our patience gets the best of us and lose it and ends up purchasing more, which, well, what the companies want and intentions.

Jul 13, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #61,386 of 89,000
I’ve been trying to keep up with the constant wave of new releases on the discovery thread and it feels like there’s something new almost every day.
So true. Actually lately, I've been spending more time here than facebook, instagram and other social media platforms. 😆

Jul 13, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #61,388 of 89,000
I needed to add another score that reflects my own overall opinion on how an IEM is tuned to my preferences. For example, I think Subtonic Storm is the superior IEM to the FatFreq Grand Maestro, but I still prefer GM's tuning for my music tastes.

I hope it goes without saying that my ranking list is totally subjective to my tastes and shouldn't be treated as anything other than one opinion :) hopefully no one comes after me if I ranked something they enjoy too low :sweat_smile:
Not at all. Your list is great and very helpful but I will never hold you accountable for any of it!

Jul 13, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #61,389 of 89,000
I think the time may have come where I sell my Trifecta. Struggling to make myself listen to them and then when I do I just think why did I put these in over anything else I own.

Not listing yet but if anyone is interested in a lightly used Trifecta midnight blue edition SN# 26/33 shoot me a message.

Jul 13, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #61,390 of 89,000
Having a nice day here listening to AüR Audio Neon Pro and Cayin N7, having a break today not writing on any reviews or testing gear.
Had some fun doing a few photo IEM shoots, love to combine the audio and photo hobby.
And @Natesdailies post about the carrying case made me think I need to step up to get something similar for when I'm doing city photos and listening to music.

Anyone who got ddHIFI C2023, and is satisfied?
Should be nice to carry a IEM and DAP secure this way.

1689258857992.png

Some great IDM, thanks for recommendation @Scuba Devils

And just a few photos from today, played with adding Yoyo into the photo. Came out cool. And also a new cable that looked nice but was horrible uncomfortable.

DSCF3041.jpg

DSCF3035.jpg

1689259321368.png

DSCF3030.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #61,391 of 89,000
This makes two of us. The same can be said on other gadgets. Phones for example. I miss the days when iphones or samsung takes longer that what it is now before releasing something new.

Agreed. That's why they say save up for something $500 where the sweet spot is in terms of price to performance ratio. But sometimes, our patience gets the best of us and lose it and ends up purchasing more, which, well, what the companies want and intentions.
Phones are a thing? I went from HTC One S to iPhone 4s, 6s and then 8 plus. If the 15pro isn't that good I can wait even longer.
In terms of in-ears the most bang for the buck I bought were Shure Se420, Westone W4R and then UE RM. The latter two I still use till this day.

Jul 13, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #61,392 of 89,000

I have to admit, I'm a fan of your list! And not only because it reflects my personal taste :wink:
(as mentioned before, things move so fast that my favorite IEMs might go down soon & fast...)

No I like it because you try all the important earphones and seem to change numbers after revisiting and comparing more and more IEMs. This makes it more valuable to me than those of the usual suspects Crin & Precog (still also great lists) who rarely change a thing and haven't updated their lists at all for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back