The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 8, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #61,261 of 89,888
I've had a chance to spend some time with the Maestro SE. The bass is similar to the Maestro Mini's but wow yeah everything else is a nice upgrade.

I find the MM to be a little shouty when I crank up the volume and it starts to lose coherency. So I don't quite get to enjoy the bass at the level I want.

The MSE fixes all that perfectly. It loves to be played LOUD! Treble, soundstage, vocals, are excellent. And the bass is second to none.

The only drawback for me is the fitment, it's just a bit awkward fit and my ears start to feel a little tender after an hour or so.

The Maestro SE has the basshead 👑!! It does everything well and slams harder and deeper than anything else.

Also, loving the upgrade cable!

Attachments

• 20230708_135137.jpg
    20230708_135137.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Jul 8, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #61,262 of 89,888
Starting my Journey up to Thüringen to see the 4-Day Folk Festival in Rudolstadt! :) Going alone makes me a little nervous, but I hope it'll be fun. This years' theme is Cuba, so many Cuban native bands are there 😁
I went there once a few years ago and it was really great.
Thank you for posting. Oh, man! I didn't know about this! As a folk / fusion / prog listener I feel shocked not knowing about this happening not too far from Berlin.
Okay here goes day 2:

The first concert I visited was done by Hamilton De Holanda and his band. Really awesome stuff, traditional brasilian music mixed with elements of modern fusion:

After that, Pamela Badjogo:

A nice concert, that had some technical difficulties unfortunately. I almost always wear ear protection, crucial for every festival or gig for me.

The concert after that was swapped out, so I had some free time. There are many food stands around and much to try. I don't take that many photos, so I don't really have any :D maybe I'll remember to take some today.

Now for the highlight of the day: PoiL Ueda
A french prog Band collaborating with a traditional japanese musician to form something that I have never heard before. An astounding effort and very well worth listening to if you are into prog music in any way. The first part of their musical tales is already available on bandcamp:

Poil Ueda is very refreshing! I loved it!

Let me send also something I was listening to today, not too far off from the theme. I was really surprised to hear this from Tigran Hamasyan knowing what he did previously. He will be in Berlin with this October, a concert am very excited to see...

...and a Cuban musician that I love. He was the last bass player of the great Paco de Lucia, and I was surprised to see his solo work. Great album.

Jul 8, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #61,263 of 89,888
Thank you for posting. Oh, man! I didn't know about this! As a folk / fusion / prog listener I feel shocked not knowing about this happening not too far from Berlin.

Poil Ueda is very refreshing! I loved it!

Let me send also something I was listening to today, not too far off from the theme. I was really surprised to hear this from Tigran Hamasyan knowing what he did previously. He will be in Berlin with this October, a concert am very excited to see...

...and a Cuban musician that I love. He was the last bass player of the great Paco de Lucia, and I was surprised to see his solo work. Great album.

Thanks a lot, I will check this out when I have some time 😁 come next year!

Jul 8, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #61,264 of 89,888
I threw down for summer and joined a couple of clubs! Wow!
20230708_125148.jpg

Jul 8, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #61,265 of 89,888
A good way to begin the night … some cross tests 😊

IMG_1486.jpeg

Jul 8, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #61,266 of 89,888
The Campfire Trifecta is my audio happy place right now and with the convenience, options, synergy and sound quality the SR35 offers I could walk with this setup right here (if I had to) and not look back. Of all the "audio debates" between different ideologies in this hobby second to the objectivist/subjectivist I would say is the "neutral hi fi purity" vs. "colored and flavourful". I understand the appeal of classical audiophile ideals and sensibiliteis however for me and my use case I find it doesn't quite work. To really appreciate the former I find that all circumstances have to be ideal-- quiet space, focused listening, no distractions. For me this is generally not practical as I hardly ever listen while totally stationary and am almost always doing something else while listening-- either on the go or working on a project or some assignment or work. As such my preference is more towards a sound sig that has some color, oomph and flavor to grab my attention or (more commonly) to compensate for ambient noise. Overall feel is much more important to me than perfection of detail or nuance. I understand everyone has different priorities and situations but for me my tastes and use case have conspired to make Trifecta + SR35 the perfect portable setup for me at the moment. YMMV and all that.

In other news: I am looking to do a US tour with the Campfire Supermoon, and another with the Lime Ears Aether, Pneuma and Anima. I know that I have mentioned this in the past however life has been hectic for the last few weeks and I have not had the time to put these together properly. Please sound off either here or privately if you are in the US, completed the tour registration process, and are interested.

There will be a Diva + Crin Red US tour also starting in the next couple weeks.
I couldn't agree with this more. Having had the chance to try all the uber high end dap, I still love and enjoy my 25+ year old ER4S and Objective 2 amp and at times I always think this is all I needed.

I joined headfi to find a cable for it, I never did and ended up going deep into other part of this hobby.

Hopefully life goes smoothly for you, at least you have an awesome setup to keep you going.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #61,267 of 89,888
I don’t listen to the XE6 nearly enough I realized. I have this tendency to use a single IEM at a stretch for several days until I am in the mood for a different one. But in doing so, I probably don’t spend as much time as I should with gems like the XE6.

IMG_2117.jpeg

Had a Tool appreciation session last night and my, was the XE6 a delight!

I also think I have found the contrasting signatures I was looking for in my DAPs, via the Sony WM1ZM2 and the Cayin N8ii. They are both very good DAPs with signatures the farthest apart from each other, IMO.

The XE6 sounds fantastic on both.

Jul 8, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #61,268 of 89,888
1688872366887.png

FATfreq officially launched the Scarlet Mini today, featuring a new 'tubeless hyper tweeter' that specs up to 40kHz and a new ear shattering high water mark 30 dB (!) Bass Cannon bass shelf:

SHEER POWER & DETAIL

Experience raw, unadulterated power with World's First 30dB sub-bass shelf, expertly controlled under 200Hz. FATfreq's proprietary tubeless hyper tweeter system provides stratospheric ultra-high extension and brilliance to 40kHz. Giving you the best of both worlds at incredible value and ergonomics.
https://ffreq.com/collections/maestro-series/products/scarlet-mini-universals

In honor of the occasion and to kill the time while my order arrives, I busted out the Scarlet's older blue brother, the OG Mini. Gave it a much needed tip swap to TRI Clarions (looks like that is what Scarlet is shipping with, to judge by the marketing). Popped on the original Grand Maestro copper/silver hybrid cable to really go OP :)

20230708_200449.jpg

I always forget how much impact this little guy brings. The small form factor brings the drivers right in your ear and packs a major punch. Can't wait to hear what they've pulled off with Scarlet.

Hope all my fellow coolers are having a fine Saturday evening!

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #61,269 of 89,888
I don’t listen to the XE6 nearly enough I realized. I have this tendency to use a single IEM at a stretch for several days until I am in the mood for a different one. But in doing so, I probably don’t spend as much time as I should with gems like the XE6.

IMG_2117.jpeg

Had a Tool appreciation session last night and my, was the XE6 a delight!

I also think I have found the contrasting signatures I was looking for in my DAPs, via the Sony WM1ZM2 and the Cayin N8ii. They are both very good DAPs with signatures the farthest apart from each other, IMO.

The XE6 sounds fantastic on both.
I struggled to get the required seal for them to get that impactful bass. I feel this is about the only IEM best appreciated in custom format.

Jul 9, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #61,270 of 89,888
Lake breeze, clear skies and fresh mountain air. Not a bad way to spend the weekend so far.

received_1494893654582240.jpeg

I explored a wooden earbud: Yinman 600 2.0 which has received praise on earbud threads as of late. Those claims were accurate! @jwilliamhurst

received_819344149403522.jpeg

It's a romantic, natural, smooth sound with excellent sub bass. It reminds me of a more relaxed TGX Ripples. Not quite as resolving as Serratus but a nice compliment for longer sessions. In a good way, while listening to light Bossa Nova, it lulled me to sleep for a short post-sunshine-induced nap 😌.

Jul 9, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #61,271 of 89,888
Rudolstadt Festival Day 3:

Very hot day (only getting hotter now) with a lot of good music, but some personal disappointment as well :D

The first concert was by Tony Avila in the Theater, a truly great perfomance that captivated the audience completely, nobody wanted to leave! He teared up at the end because he was so moved by the audience.

After that I went to the Park where Telmary Y Habanasana performed, it was a very good concert but I was so exhausted this day that I had to leave early. The last two nights were so cold that I had to walk around the city from 3-5 AM so I would not freeze in my tent.
And then it was also it was freaking hot during the day.
So I saw some of their songs, but left early.

Next up, back to the theatre (it was colder in there)
A very interesting piece of history was revived by the granddaughter of it's founder Siti Bind Saad. I am talking about a music genre called Taarab, which only existed in Sansibar and the aarab country which colonised it. Siti Muharam and her band played the traditional songs created by her grandmother in the traditional style. Many people left the theatre. I enjoyed the perfomance, but I get it also. They will play again with modern influences today and I think I will take another look.

Here is also link for the history of Taarab:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taarab

After that I saw the Orchester Im Treppenhaus, they played original compositions from all over the world that they had collected under the "Disco" theme. Very enjoyable and creatively orchestrated dance music, performed purely acoustically.

Next up (and unfortunately last for me) was the Hong Sung Hyun Art Company that played a show inspired by korean shaman music. This was a special concert, they really gave it their all and literally played the audience out of the theatre in the end, dancing and playing with us in the hallway.

The audio quality of this video is not great unfortunately and does their music a great injustice.

The last concert I wanted to see was by Los Van Van at 1 am. They are a beloved cuban band, one of the biggest names their and apparently the founder of Songo. But I was so exhausted that I went to my tent and slept pretty much until the next morning.

So I am sad that I didn't see their perfomance, but at least I feel better today. The last day!

Jul 9, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #61,272 of 89,888
Lake breeze, clear skies and fresh mountain air. Not a bad way to spend the weekend so far.

received_1494893654582240.jpeg

I explored a wooden earbud: Yinman 600 2.0 which has received praise on earbud threads as of late. Those claims were accurate! @jwilliamhurst

received_819344149403522.jpeg

It's a romantic, natural, smooth sound with excellent sub bass. It reminds me of a more relaxed TGX Ripples. Not quite as resolving as Serratus but a nice compliment for longer sessions. In a good way, while listening to light Bossa Nova, it lulled me to sleep for a short post-sunshine-induced nap 😌.
What impressions do you have on this R6 Pro II?

Jul 9, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #61,273 of 89,888
Howdy folks, my review of VE Phonix is online on head-fi and my blog. I fully expected myself to like the EXT and dislike Phonix, but I was pleasantly surprised by what the birds can do. Such lovely TOTL IEM.

The Vision Ears Phonix is undoubtedly an impressive top-of-the-line (TOTL) IEM. Its unique sound is a result of masterful tuning skills combined with strong technical performance. Phonix boasts a pleasantly colored tonality and avoids any harshness or sibilance, ensuring a smooth listening experience. At the same time, it delivers TOTL resolution and detail, showcasing its ability to reproduce intricate nuances in the music. The razor-sharp instrument separation and placement further contribute to its impressive technical performance.

As for cons, the soundstage may not feel particularly large, which might be a drawback for those seeking a more expansive and spread-out soundstage experience. Additionally, some listeners might desire a more pronounced emphasis on the upper treble frequencies. And, of course, the price tag is shocking.

In terms of target audience, the Phonix is well-suited for individuals who appreciate a colored and musical sound signature, along with top-notch resolution. If you prefer a more intimate and closed-in presentation, the Phonix could be an appealing choice.

Pros:

• Pleasantly coloured tonality
  • No harshness or sibilance
  • Dynamic sound
  • TOTL resolution and detail
  • Razor sharp instrument separation and placement
Cons:

• The soundstage does not feel large
  • Upper treble could be more highlighted
  • Price
phonix_summary.jpg

Updated: July 9, 2023

Jul 9, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #61,274 of 89,888
Howdy folks, my review of VE Phonix is online on head-fi and my blog. I fully expected myself to like the EXT and dislike Phonix, but I was pleasantly surprised by what the birds can do. Such lovely TOTL IEM.

The Vision Ears Phonix is undoubtedly an impressive top-of-the-line (TOTL) IEM. Its unique sound is a result of masterful tuning skills combined with strong technical performance. Phonix boasts a pleasantly colored tonality and avoids any harshness or sibilance, ensuring a smooth listening experience. At the same time, it delivers TOTL resolution and detail, showcasing its ability to reproduce intricate nuances in the music. The razor-sharp instrument separation and placement further contribute to its impressive technical performance.

As for cons, the soundstage may not feel particularly large, which might be a drawback for those seeking a more expansive and spread-out soundstage experience. Additionally, some listeners might desire a more pronounced emphasis on the upper treble frequencies. And, of course, the price tag is shocking.

In terms of target audience, the Phonix is well-suited for individuals who appreciate a colored and musical sound signature, along with top-notch resolution. If you prefer a more intimate and closed-in presentation, the Phonix could be an appealing choice.

Pros:

• Pleasantly coloured tonality
  • No harshness or sibilance
  • Dynamic sound
  • TOTL resolution and detail
  • Razor sharp instrument separation and placement
Cons:

• The soundstage does not feel large
  • Upper treble could be more highlighted
  • Price
phonix_summary.jpg

Updated: July 9, 2023