The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 10, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #61,291 of 88,872
... and ZX707 is volume-handicapped :frowning2: From what I've read, they added volume cap in US version (maybe global as well?). They used to do it only in EU versions, but now expanding into other territories...
Volume cap was added to the release of the ZX707 and A306 for US, Canada, Singapore, in addition to EU.
https://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.com...x700-and-nw-a300-walkmans-not-only-in-eu.html

The WM1A/Zm2 was released with cap only for EU models.
The following release of the ZX707 and A306 had the extra volume caps applied.

Speculation is that the new countries have imminent hearing protection regulations in the works.....

Jul 10, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #61,292 of 88,872
Regulation like this are plain dumb... end result is : we get JP versions... plus it doesn't factor in impedance, sensitivity of your headphones... it's really annoying, we aren't children!

Jul 10, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #61,293 of 88,872
What are you trying to do with the power, drive a Susvara? Even with the limits you can drive a wide variety of monitors to satisfaction
Quite a few IEMs require power to fully reach their potential... Vision Ears Elysium comes to mind in my collection... headroom is aside from this, important...
A crippled WM1ZM2 is a no no in my book especially given the price...

Jul 10, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #61,294 of 88,872
Quite a few IEMs require power to fully reach their potential... Vision Ears Elysium comes to mind in my collection... headroom is aside from this, important...
A crippled WM1ZM2 is a no no in my book especially given the price...
For the life of me, I can’t get the WM1ZM2 to reach 50% volume before it gets way too loud for me with most IEMs I have owned / tried.

There are exceptions of course. The Anni needed more volume. But I preferred the Anni off the WM1ZM2 over the much more powerful Cayin N8ii which I also own. I also owned the Anni.

As for the hardest-to-drive Storm, I actually preferred it off the WM1ZM2 than the Hiby RS8 despite the latter being considerably more powerful. I also preferred the WM1ZM2 over the FiiO Q7 driving the Storm. The Storm sounds wider on the Sony and the Sony’s timbre is a lovely complement to the Storm’s relative dryness in midrange and treble.

Just one man’s opinion.

I am yet to find a DAP that comes close to the WM1ZM2 in overall enjoyment of music across the largest number of IEMs. Until now.

The day that changes, I am selling the WM1ZM2 and getting something else (likely adding the new best DAP to my stable).

Disclaimer: I don’t use a volume-capped version.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #61,295 of 88,872
For the life of me, I can’t get the WM1ZM2 to reach 50% volume before it gets way too loud for me with most IEMs I have owned / tried.

There are exceptions of course. The Anni needed more volume. But I preferred the Anni off the WM1ZM2 over the much more powerful Cayin N8ii which I also own. I also owned the Anni.

As for the hardest-to-drive Storm, I actually preferred it off the WM1ZM2 than the Hiby RS8 despite the latter being considerably more powerful. I also preferred the WM1ZM2 over the FiiO Q7 driving the Storm. The Storm sounds wider on the Sony and the Sony’s timbre is a lovely complement to the Storm’s relative dryness in midrange and treble.

Just man’s opinion.

I am yet to find a DAP that comes close to the WM1ZM2 in overall enjoyment of music across the largest number of IEMs. Until now.

The day that changes, I am selling the WM1ZM2 and getting something else (likely adding the new best DAP to my stable).

Disclaimer: I don’t use a volume-capped version.
But this is the point we are complaining about 😅

Maybe all your joy wouldn't be possible with the capped version? I think the cap might be worse than 50%. On Amazon DE somebody complains and says he measured his Sony DAP (in this case NW-WM1AM2 ) and instead of the advertised 250mw (same as 1ZM2) he only got 30mw. This is the only time I was able to find such an exact number and I don't know if this is really true. But if, it would be nasty.

Jul 10, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #61,296 of 88,872

Maybe all your joy wouldn't be possible with the capped version? I think the cap might be worse than 50%. On Amazon DE somebody complains and says he measured his Sony DAP (in this case NW-WM1AM2 ) and instead of the advertised 250mw (same as 1ZM2) he only got 30mw. This is the only time I was able to find such an exact number and I don't know if this is really true. But if, it would be nasty.
👍🏻

Jul 10, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #61,297 of 88,872

If that’s the case, it sounds like it’s a software issue. Couldn’t you just root the device and solve it from doing that?

Jul 10, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #61,300 of 88,872
Jul 10, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #61,302 of 88,872
I took some last shots of Mentor Nebula passing it to its new owner. This is possibly the best looking iem I've seen in person.

C214D686-A994-4E0E-9411-10082BD0C4B6.jpeg

End of a mini era for me. Will miss it but happy to recoup funds for the audio budget. My next target will be a DD hybrid that will compliment Impact. A few on my shortlist are Anni 2023, Raven.

Jul 10, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #61,303 of 88,872
Had to take a nap for that covid fatigue, so Odin had to wait.

Already swapped out the Stormbreaker for FT 2 songs in 😅

Jul 10, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #61,304 of 88,872
Had to take a nap for that covid fatigue, so Odin had to wait.

Already swapped out the Stormbreaker for FT 2 songs in 😅
I think I may be the only person that I’m aware of that prefers the stock Stormbreaker cable…the synergy with the cable and LP6 Ti is pretty amazing. I do not hear the bass bloat or bleed into the mids. It’s a very balanced synergy.

Jul 10, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #61,305 of 88,872
I think I may be the only person that I’m aware of that prefers the stock Stormbreaker cable…the synergy with the cable and LP6 Ti is pretty amazing. I do not hear the bass bloat or bleed into the mids. It’s a very balanced synergy.
Outside of the Bird, Odin is the other iem to date where I would endorse using it as is.

Alas, I did way too much cable swapping with my first Odin, and I want to coax just that few % out if it means another cable 😅

2 and a half years since release and I still consider it my benchmark for the summit fi tier.

Raven? What's that

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back