The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 10, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #61,306 of 88,805
Outside of the Bird, Odin is the other iem to date where I would endorse using it as is.
Here! here! I’m right there with you!

I am thinking of trying out the new Eletech Raphael cable with Odin and Jewel…

Jewel, now there is a stock cable I won’t be using…
2 and a half years since release and I still consider it my benchmark for the summit fi tier.
Also right there with you. Having it back in my stable again has solidified it as the TOP tribrid IMO.
Raven? What's that
🤭

Jul 10, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #61,307 of 88,805
I took some last shots of Mentor Nebula passing it to its new owner. This is possibly the best looking iem I've seen in person.

C214D686-A994-4E0E-9411-10082BD0C4B6.jpeg

End of a mini era for me. Will miss it but happy to recoup funds for the audio budget. My next target will be a DD hybrid that will compliment Impact. A few on my shortlist are Anni 2023, Raven.
You may want to look into the upcoming Dio from Elysian.

Jul 10, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #61,308 of 88,805
Here! here! I’m right there with you!

I am thinking of trying out the new Eletech Raphael cable with Odin and Jewel…

Jewel, now there is a stock cable I won’t be using…

Also right there with you. Having it back in my stable again has solidified it as the TOP tribrid IMO.

🤭
Im joining with u guys, finally chose odin after caught and released bird, jewel, ragnar, xe6, z1r, mentor. I don’t know how long it will stay with me but now im happy with the sound signature of the Odin. Everything is smooth and balance, w9+ weapons bass is awesome.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #61,310 of 88,805
Came across Odin...grill 😂. Maybe it's a signal from the audio gods.

0C4ED430-D525-499B-BA96-9FCCF34D9CC8.jpeg

Jul 10, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #61,311 of 88,805
Personally I couldn’t get into Odin. I really like the BCD effect of Odyssey and possibly Raven too much. I’d like move off Odyssey at some point for Raven but neither IEM leave me wanting for more.
I quite enjoy the pseudo "BCD" that FiR has done with with their kinetic bass.

Having heard a number of BCD equipped iems, to my ears it doesn't warrant have an entire driver dedicated to what it actually does to the overall signature. If anything BCDs seem more gimmicky to me.

As to Odin, the signature just doesn't line up with the majority of coolers. Raven is more of a Odin MKII that lines up with that preference given the show impressions so far. Originally I was going to wait for Raven before making the decision. But the more impressions, the more it showed that Odin is it for me.

Jul 10, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #61,312 of 88,805
... and ZX707 is volume-handicapped :frowning2: From what I've read, they added volume cap in US version (maybe global as well?). They used to do it only in EU versions, but now expanding into other territories...
Thankfully here in Australia the ZX707 is uncapped, but yeah it sucks that Sony have extended their capping rules from EU to the US and other regions. It seems pointless to even release a DAP with such sophisticated components and a balanced port in these regions if it can’t even drive the most sensitive of IEMs, let alone their own IER-Z1R, but I suppose Sony really only care about the Japanese domestic market and they’d rather not deal with an international lawsuit than make profit from other regions 🤷‍♂️

Jul 10, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #61,313 of 88,805
I think I may be the only person that I’m aware of that prefers the stock Stormbreaker cable…the synergy with the cable and LP6 Ti is pretty amazing. I do not hear the bass bloat or bleed into the mids. It’s a very balanced synergy.

You are not the only one, I still use Stormbreaker (PWA 1960 2w) with Odin. Dean used that cable specifically to tune the Odin. I have tried others with Odin, and always come back to its stock cable.

Jul 10, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #61,314 of 88,805
You are not the only one, I still use Stormbreaker (PWA 1960 2w) with Odin. Dean used that cable specifically to tune the Odin. I have tried others with Odin, and always come back to its stock cable.
That is great to know. I remember reading he used Hugo 2 to tune Odin but never read mention of the cable used...Thank you 🙏🏼

And🍻 to The Stormbreaker!!

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #61,315 of 88,805
I quite enjoy the pseudo "BCD" that FiR has done with with their kinetic bass.

Having heard a number of BCD equipped iems, to my ears it doesn't warrant have an entire driver dedicated to what it actually does to the overall signature. If anything BCDs seem more gimmicky to me.

As to Odin, the signature just doesn't line up with the majority of coolers. Raven is more of a Odin MKII that lines up with that preference given the show impressions so far. Originally I was going to wait for Raven before making the decision. But the more impressions, the more it showed that Odin is it for me.
+1 on preferring FIR's kinetic bass to EE's BCD.

What makes EE special for me on Evo at least is not the bass but rather the forward lower mids. It's just nice and sweet for rock... looking at the FR for Odin they look even slightly more forward, I bet it sounds quite special.

Jul 10, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #61,316 of 88,805
+1 on preferring FIR's kinetic bass to EE's BCD.

What makes EE special for me on Evo at least is not the bass but rather the forward lower mids. It's just nice and sweet for rock... looking at the FR for Odin they look even slightly more forward, I bet it sounds quite special.
+2. While I found the BCD on the Odyssey impressive for its visceral impact, it was too much for me. The FIR kinetic bass sounds more natural to me (while still being impactful) and is easier on the ears for extended listening. Though I’m certainly interested in trying Raven to see how it might differ.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #61,317 of 88,805
AüR Audio Aurora

My review on the latest hybrid IEM from AüR is out, this has now become one of my favourite sets.
Refined and beautiful sound, with a very natural tonality.
With one of the best performing bass ranges in a IEM that I have ever tried.
Forward and clean vocals with lots nuance.

Feel free to read my review if its of interest, thanks.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/aür-audio-aurora.26604/review/31227/

DSCF3015.jpg

Jul 11, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #61,318 of 88,805
I thought I would drop this in the 'Cooler. I'm parting ways with my Alambic Ears Mentawai (1DD, 6BA, 4EST) as I'm moving to predominantly earbud listening. This is a great set that's definitely a 'TOTL'er in my view.

Happy to deliver to within the UK or in-person at CJ London in August.

_DSC3413.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #61,320 of 88,805
Rhapsodio Supreme MK3

Hey guys,

Since I bought my Rhapsodio Supreme MK3 last month, I have spent extensive time comparing it to other Summit-Fi IEMs, and I would like to share my impressions with you in case you are interested.

*Please note that I am not a professional reviewer, but rather an audiophile who loves music and rolling TOTL IEMs. Please bear with me if my sharing is not objective or professional enough.*

Background
To be honest, I had very limited knowledge of Rhapsodio before purchasing the Supreme MK3. I had never heard of any of their IEMs before and didn't know what to expect. What triggered me was the demo at the Tokyo Headphone Festival back in April. I had the chance to meet with the founder, Sammy, and try the Supreme MK3. After a brief audition, I decided to pull the trigger and add this golden little guy to my TOTL IEMs collection.

Overall impression
  • To me, the Supreme MK3 is an ultra-resolving/analytical IEM, with detail presentation that is quite ahead of other IEMs in my collection. Originally, I would have considered the Viking Ragnar to be the analytical god, but the Supreme MK3 took it to another level. The sound is aggressive for sure, and I can find the precise details and separation I need, especially for classical music.
  • Listening to the Supreme has a very unique feeling unlike other Summit-Fi IEMs. You can feel the different interpretation of the sound stages, and vocal placement is reasonably distant. It's almost like listening to headphones instead of IEMs. I would give credit to the brass shell.
  • The overall tuning is relatively mid/high-focused, with a little bit of emphasis on the treble depending on the sources. The bass is fast and snappy, with good quality, but not enough for bass heads. I have tried pairing it with different DAPs, and I like pairing the Supreme with warm/analog-sounding DAPs, especially LP6, N8ii, and P6pro.
  • The Supreme requires quite a lot of power to drive. To put it into perspective, my normal listening level on Traillii/Mentor, driven by P6Pro, is low gain 28, Phonix Limited is low gain 19, while the Supreme requires high gain 35. It also scales significantly with external amps. I tried P6pro line out to Little Dot LD Y3/Cayin 9, and both pairings yielded great results, with soundstage being further expanded and added extra sub-bass.
  • Comfort is one of my few complaints about the Supreme. Given its full brass shell, the IEM itself is one of the heaviest that I have tried, even heavier compared to the Viking Ragnar. I spent quite some time tip rolling to settle on my ideal tips (Azla max tws) to get a reasonably comfortable listening experience with them, as they kept slipping out. The shape itself is comfortable, but the only issue is the weight.
Comparison
In my opinion, the Supreme definitely stands firm among the Summit-Fi league, especially for audiophiles who enjoy critical listening and want to hear every bit of fine details in the music.
  • Compared to the IEMs I own/have owned, the Supreme has the biggest soundstage expansion: Traillii, Jewel, Mentor, Viking Ragnar, Phonix Limited, etc. The tuning is a little bit closer to the Viking Ragnar; both have excellent details, but the Supreme has a more aggressive treble and even better clarity. However, sometimes sibilance would be a problem in certain recordings, pairing with warm sounding DAP like P6Pro would fix.
  • The Supreme is very complementary to my other collections. If I enjoy relaxed/non-fatiguing long listening sessions, I would choose Traillii. If I want to listen to ballads with a particular focus on vocals, I would choose Phonix LE. But for classical/critical listening sessions, I will always lean towards Supreme.
TLDR: I enjoy the Supreme quite a lot and would recommend it to all treble lovers who like analytical presentation. Whether the Supreme is worth the selling price, I will leave it up to you guys to decide :wink:

PS: I recently also bought the P-Zero, the flagship planar IEM from Simphonio in China. My initial impression is that it's another beast! I will share more about it and comparisons in the future :)

IMG_9417.jpg

P6Pro + Cayin C9 (Pre-in mode)+ Orpheus Shielding IC + First Time Shielding + Supreme MK3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back