Hiby R6 Pro II (2023 Edition) - Launch, Hype, Thoughts & More
Jun 27, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #676 of 2,043
I have both the Gryphon and R6 Pro II and I'll say that I prefer the sound of the R6 Pro II to the Gryphon, but it's pretty minor. The only reason I use the Gryphon these days is to run full size headphones and for that sweet sweet bass boost. I prefer the DAP over the DAC/AMP style of the Gryphon. The all in one functionality is far more convenient.
Welp, you rendered my guess of non-overlapping sets of users irrelevant! :)

Jun 27, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #677 of 2,043
Can the R6 Pro II be used with Roon ARC and Roon Remote?

Jun 28, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #678 of 2,043
I have both the Gryphon and R6 Pro II and I'll say that I prefer the sound of the R6 Pro II to the Gryphon, but it's pretty minor. The only reason I use the Gryphon these days is to run full size headphones and for that sweet sweet bass boost. I prefer the DAP over the DAC/AMP style of the Gryphon. The all in one functionality is far more convenient.
Thanks for the response. I've also recently realized that I like the usability of a DAP more than stacking a DAC/Amp to a phone. Can you briefly share what you like about the sound of R6 Pro II or what the difference in sound is between the two devices? Personally and in comparision to the DX170, I find the Gryphon to be a bit Mid-forward with my IEMs with a slightly elevated but also slightly loose Bass. The DX170 is more transparent and so sounds "correct" when it comes to timbre of certain instruments where as the Gryphon seems to color the sound (warmer) a bit, it's still enjoyable but I somewhat prefer the more airy high end on the DX170.

Jun 30, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #679 of 2,043
IMG_20230628_222033_550.jpg
Well, I was asked to provide some impressions about the Hiby R6Pro2, so I'll leave it here.

Now I will praise him. Over time, the emotions will settle down a bit, but the basic impression has been formed. Later this text will be supplemented with some details and formalized into a review. And now in short, I lost my mind. I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's napalm. Other companies would have asked for more money for this sound.
In a nutshell, go buy it. For what? For money, of course. And for the sound. What's so great about it?

First, the dynamics. It is amazing. That is, the player has its own character - warm, even slightly fat, but at the same time it has very cool control. Due to this, this fat glistens favorably, adding effectiveness and seductiveness, and does not bore you, standing across your throat - no matter how subjective it may sound. To use an analogy, a good steak should have a percentage of fat to make it taster better and not feel so pressured.

Secondly, the player emphasizes the distribution of the plans a bit. It turns out to be spacious both in width and height, and yes, it's impressive. Maybe it's not true somewhere, but the scale - oh, how it can do it. I haven't compared it A-B, but I think any M17s will be jealous. For all the cinematic nature of the latter.

The vocals and the middle are reproduced very well. All I can say here is long live the king. The king of the middle.

Thirdly, control. The player keeps everything it reaches in a pile very well. If it reaches for the balls, it will hold them as well.

Fourth, quality. It includes the actual accuracy, detail, and attention to the recording. It conveys very well not only all the details, but also their specificity and character. The textures glisten a bit with heated grease, but they are not greasy or smoothed out. As a result, guitars growl all over the soundboard, and vocalists - well, all over their throats, larynx, vocal cords, and so on, depending on the vocal technique. At the same time, effects on vocals or other instruments, as well as greetings to the sound engineer, are guaranteed if someone messes up somewhere. You can hear the vibrating drums where you don't really need them, or hit a stick somewhere else - it's noticeable. The other thing is that it doesn't take away from the integrity. So if you don't know that it shouldn't be like that, it sounds quite good. Interesting, but not overly expressive.

So let me know if anyone wants to sell it, because I like to save money)

Jul 4, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #680 of 2,043
Can the R6 Pro II be used with Roon ARC and Roon Remote?
So I may answer that question myself meanwhile. Just used my new toy at the office with Roon Arc and it did work fine...

Edit:
Too happy too early.
The R6 Pro 2 seems to be limited to the Android 48 kHz limit with Roon. At least that is what is shown in the status bar even when playing files with higher resolution (24-88 and above). The R6P2 is obviously not discerned as a device capable of more than that but a usual Android device. Quite a bummer.

@Joe Bloggs Hopefully that can be healed via a software update soon....

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #682 of 2,043
I saw something about Hiby plug ins, will those work with the R6 pro 2? Is there anywhere to read more about it and how to use them?
Simple really, go to Audio Settings -> Plugins

Choose from the list to move to Plugin Applied... Then make sure you enable it as well. Mine is not enables on picture, you need to tap on the dot to ✓ it :)

Attachments

• 168857376138163316589236724333.jpg
    168857376138163316589236724333.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 16885737870567627219940179559455.jpg
    16885737870567627219940179559455.jpg
    957.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 6, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #684 of 2,043
I read that R6 Pro II doesn't have much power..... has anyone tried it with demanding iems (perhaps with double DD)...how does it behave?

You gotta look at the sensitivity and impedance of the transducer, not really about the driver type.

My most demanding IEM is the Final Audio E5000 (sensitivity 93 dB/mW). It is not a matter of volume, but when underpowered, the E5000's bass is bloated and untextured (one-noted) with a smallish soundstage. On high gain 4.4mm class A, the R6 Pro II drives the E5000 adequately, though perhaps more powerful sources will give a tighter bass and better dynamics.

While pushing 600 ohm stuff (earbuds/headphones), the R6 Pro II is serviceable, but not the best. Full sized planar headphones, the R6 Pro II may struggle. For most IEMs in general, which are usually not demanding for power, the R6 Pro II on 4.4mm should be decent enough. My 2 cents.

Jul 6, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #685 of 2,043
You gotta look at the sensitivity and impedance of the transducer, not really about the driver type.

My most demanding IEM is the Final Audio E5000 (sensitivity 93 dB/mW). It is not a matter of volume, but when underpowered, the E5000's bass is bloated and untextured (one-noted) with a smallish soundstage. On high gain 4.4mm class A, the R6 Pro II drives the E5000 adequately, though perhaps more powerful sources will give a tighter bass and better dynamics.

While pushing 600 ohm stuff (earbuds/headphones), the R6 Pro II is serviceable, but not the best. Full sized planar headphones, the R6 Pro II may struggle. For most IEMs in general, which are usually not demanding for power, the R6 Pro II on 4.4mm should be decent enough. My 2 cents.
The Noble Ragnar for example: Resistance17ΩSensitivity@1KHz 112dB. How do you think he can drive them?

Jul 6, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #686 of 2,043
The Noble Ragnar for example: Resistance17ΩSensitivity@1KHz 112dB. How do you think he can drive them?

For sure this DAP can drive the Ragnar based on specs, don't worry. I auditioned the Ragnar before, and it is quite an easy IEM to drive on actual listening too.

Jul 7, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #689 of 2,043
I read that R6 Pro II doesn't have much power..... has anyone tried it with demanding iems (perhaps with double DD)...how does it behave?
There are some people who complain about this all the time. So I've heard such complaints about all players, I think. And I've never encountered this. Instead, I've heard the opposite quite often - when a player has too much power. When you want to use a player with full-size desktop headphones, there is no player with which it will be a good idea. When it comes to IEMs, it is enough for most IEMs.

So, how much power do you need?
oBravo Ra's are quite heavy and require a large power reserve and current output. They work well at low gain. Of course, it's not that the Hiby unlocks their potential, but it drives them well.
HUM Dolores also need a powerful source. No problem with them either, the combo is really great.

Jul 7, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #690 of 2,043
These are very sensitive IEMs, like many CA models. They don't need a powerful output, and on the contrary, excessive power will be harmful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back