The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 7, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #61,246 of 91,358
Congrats man, those are some epic new arrivals this week! Curious to hear what you think of Ronin. Enjoyed that one a lot when I demoed it :)
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Ronin vs Phonix LE. It's been an absolute stellar 'end-game' worthy IEM for me so far.
Thanks Guys! In my short listening session with Ronin, it has the best mids for vocals I’ve ever heard. That is all I’m saying now because it made me just want to listen to vocals. Haha. I’ll def share more with further listening.
Listen to Jewel louder, it was designed for loud volumes IMO, hence why many people find it boring because they don't listen loud enough. It comes alive loud. The pairing with Hugo2 is spectacular.
OH YES! Im definitely a louder listener by nature. Jewel is far from boring. Im thoroughly enjoying it especially paired with the Aroma amp stack. I will post more impressions soon.

Jul 7, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #61,247 of 91,358
Thanks Guys! In my short listening session with Ronin, it has the best mids for vocals I’ve ever heard. That is all I’m saying now because it made me just want to listen to vocals. Haha. I’ll def share more with further listening.

OH YES! Im definitely a louder listener by nature. Jewel is far from boring. Im thoroughly enjoying it especially paired with the Aroma amp stack. I will post more impressions soon.

And I bet your general preference is for warm/warmish highly resolving monitors isn't it? I still have yet to find anyone who likes bright IEMs and listens loud.

Jul 7, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #61,248 of 91,358
You can scroll through the thread gallery on the top right of the page. Or use this link - https://www.head-fi.org/threadgalle...anter-index-on-first-page-all-welcome.957426/

I made it through 30 pages, but didn't really see what you were referring to. Please let us know if you do find it.
Yeah sadly I probably mis-remembered as I can't find it either.
You could also DIY 3M adhesive pad a set of small aluminum isolation feet. Try skimming through the C9 gallery too.
I believe I'm going down that route as it also suits any mild portability with my chamber carrying case.

Thanks both, appreciate it.

Jul 7, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #61,249 of 91,358
Thanks Guys! In my short listening session with Ronin, it has the best mids for vocals I’ve ever heard. That is all I’m saying now because it made me just want to listen to vocals. Haha. I’ll def share more with further listening
Agree with you there my man.

Ronins vocals are so sultry and smooth with that organic tonality and timbre. It's positioned just right to give you that upfront intimacy without sacrificing the staging and imaging of the instruments. Quite impressive even when I compared with Mentor.

Jul 7, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #61,250 of 91,358
the latest arrival is the DUNU SA6 MK2 - just landed today and loving them so far… definitely a step up on the OG from memory at least.
Glad you have them too! I'm loving them as of the moment. Technicalities are somewhat play a good balance between good and great. But timbre oh man, is the most natural and organic for a pura BA configuration! I'm finishing my review on it as of the moment so stay tuned for that!

Music, wine, and dark chocolate - my favourite way to enjoy a Friday night… especially in the wilderness of the south east of Ireland in my mobile home.
A wine lover myself. What an unwinding experience you must have there! Cheers!

Jul 7, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #61,251 of 91,358
I’m right there with you. The sub 1k segment is very healthy and ripe right now. It’s a great time to be in the hobby.
I couldn't agree more! This is where the sweet spot is especially if you are starting in the hobby. Well still, the $500 mark is still too much for some, but this is where the law of diminishing returns are not that painful. Ripe is the exact word. :wink:

Jul 8, 2023 at 2:24 AM Post #61,252 of 91,358
Listen to Jewel louder, it was designed for loud volumes, hence why many people find it boring because they don't listen loud enough IMO. It comes alive loud. The pairing with Hugo2 is spectacular.
That's my motto for every IEM 👊🏼

Jul 8, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #61,253 of 91,358
Trying on newly bought Dignis Buttero Red case for Chord Mojo.
For leather cases, If it ain't from Italy🇮🇹, it ain't Kosher!
71E1186A-275B-4797-BA2B-C631CD5282C7.jpeg

Yes I joined “Look and Feel” camp now. I do NOT believe in cables any more🤭
FR graph FTW(For The Win!)

Am using Fir (-) atom module as its black style is cooler!(same isolation as Goldfish colored M12 module)

C971ECC6-71F6-490B-A14E-DA08321266D6.jpeg

09CB0FF6-E57B-4EC1-B44D-F6EB026896FF.jpeg

I like this setting a lot, as Mojo-Poly is inconvenient.

(For Mojo/ Mojo2 owners only:). )
Ak300-StarTech microusb OTG- Chord Usb A to Microusb cable- Mojo- 64 Audio U4S(stock 3.5mm cable)(Canalworks gel filled narrow bore tip)

This setting can escape Mojo Red light restriction(Green light currently on for Flac 96khz file).
Even when I use Mojo-Poly, I play SD card files stored in Poly with Gofigure App (from phone)(Noooo DLNA, as it cannot escape Red light)
Do I feel the difference of Red vs Green light…? Maybe? Wait a minute.. It does not matter! (Bc look is all that matters in this camp)

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #61,255 of 91,358
Okay here goes day 2:

The first concert I visited was done by Hamilton De Holanda and his band. Really awesome stuff, traditional brasilian music mixed with elements of modern fusion:

After that, Pamela Badjogo:

A nice concert, that had some technical difficulties unfortunately. I almost always wear ear protection, crucial for every festival or gig for me.

The concert after that was swapped out, so I had some free time. There are many food stands around and much to try. I don't take that many photos, so I don't really have any :D maybe I'll remember to take some today.

Now for the highlight of the day: PoiL Ueda
A french prog Band collaborating with a traditional japanese musician to form something that I have never heard before. An astounding effort and very well worth listening to if you are into prog music in any way. The first part of their musical tales is already available on bandcamp:

Afterwards, Gangar were playing. They sounded great from afar, but I had enough of standing in big crowds for the day.

Anyway, today will be another exciting day full of music! :) I do miss the comforts of my home already though :D another two full days to cover, thanks for reading!

Jul 8, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #61,256 of 91,358
Jul 8, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #61,257 of 91,358
Jul 8, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #61,258 of 91,358
Had a chance to compare 320 MAX and M9+ side by side yesterday using Mentor.
Previously I was very impressed impressed with Shanling when I tried it with full-size headphones like Radiance, 9200 and Stellia.

At the end of the day I liked both players, so maybe when I sell my RS8 I’ll consider adding M9+ to my collection instead - it’s more comfortable to operate one hand and had a beautiful screen while still being almost the same bulky as iBasso.

I found those DAPs to be quite different in terms of sound. Shanling tuning is very appealing in its classical HiFi presentation - being slight W shaped with accentuated sub bass, a tad forward vocals which are a bit separated from the instruments and played above them, along with some added grain of spice in the highs. It has great center image, positioning and separation also.
The tuning of iBasso is more neutral which helps to cast grander stage and retrieve more details - speaking of which I would still give an upper hand to 320 MAX there.
Even with iBasso set to slow roll-off filter and M9+ to the sharpest one I can hear 320 MAX as a surgeon scalpel which carves out every single detail laser sharp.
M9+ has more smoothed out vocals and mids in general. Sub bass while being very powerful is not that nuanced as in iBasso and the very high highs like cymbals sound a tad more compressed, but I’m splitting hairs here of course 🙂

Looks like a dream to settle on one DAP only is still a dream.

Jul 8, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #61,259 of 91,358
Side bar question: some weeks ago, can't remember who (or I'd be able to find it) posted a dap/amp shelf for portables that was available on Amazon. Anyone remember or have an alternative with a link? Looking for something to lift my c9 and n7 off the table so it has air on all sides. Thanks!
This will hold individual DAP / AMP. I use with a WM1AM2. Put bumpers on the vertical portion of the stand if extra airflow under the DAP/AMP is needed.

Adjustable height/angle. Once you have the right height and angle, lock it in place with a small plastic tywrap/ziptie.
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005003407116920.html

1688812361595.png
1688812382035.png

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #61,260 of 91,358
The Campfire Trifecta is my audio happy place right now and with the convenience, options, synergy and sound quality the SR35 offers I could walk with this setup right here (if I had to) and not look back. Of all the "audio debates" between different ideologies in this hobby second to the objectivist/subjectivist I would say is the "neutral hi fi purity" vs. "colored and flavourful". I understand the appeal of classical audiophile ideals and sensibiliteis however for me and my use case I find it doesn't quite work. To really appreciate the former I find that all circumstances have to be ideal-- quiet space, focused listening, no distractions. For me this is generally not practical as I hardly ever listen while totally stationary and am almost always doing something else while listening-- either on the go or working on a project or some assignment or work. As such my preference is more towards a sound sig that has some color, oomph and flavor to grab my attention or (more commonly) to compensate for ambient noise. Overall feel is much more important to me than perfection of detail or nuance. I understand everyone has different priorities and situations but for me my tastes and use case have conspired to make Trifecta + SR35 the perfect portable setup for me at the moment. YMMV and all that.

E9715C14-DDF8-4F2F-BA3A-BF502780A8DF.JPEG

In other news: I am looking to do a US tour with the Campfire Supermoon, and another with the Lime Ears Aether, Pneuma and Anima. I know that I have mentioned this in the past however life has been hectic for the last few weeks and I have not had the time to put these together properly. Please sound off either here or privately if you are in the US, completed the tour registration process, and are interested.

There will be a Diva + Crin Red US tour also starting in the next couple weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back