The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 6, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #5,716 of 91,358
ier z1r for electronic music are just amazing. The bass!

Dec 6, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #5,717 of 91,358
The only caveats with the IER Z1R are 1) it needs a good powerful source and 2) use the right tips. The first time I owned one all I had were spiral dots (Sony's tips don't fit me), which are pretty soft tips and because of their softness made it hard for he weighty Z1R units to remain in my ears. Fast forward to 2021 and I have a much wider selection of tips on hand. I went for my standard at the time-- OG Sednas-- and they totally revolutionized the Z1R fit for me. the longer bore of the OGs, coupled with how firm they are, allowed the IER Z1R to lock themselves in place in my ears. I could wear them for hours without even so much as adjusting them. Beyond those two things I think you will love them. It's a little lacking in the mid-bass/lower mids which was ultimately the deal breaker for me but the sub-bass and treble are to die for as is their rendering of female vocals. Male vocals fare a little less well but they're not bad.
Thanks, noted. Good thing male vocals only account for about 2% of my listening time, if that. 😊

Dec 6, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #5,718 of 91,358
This is one area where our respective libraries probably influence our preferences. I listen to a lot of mid-bass heavy electronic music
Interesting. What kind of electronic music would thay be? Just curious, as for any electronic music, for me iem must have a slight subbass focus. Though im not denying that midbass presence is critical for it too. Im more for a certain subbass to midbass ration. Any midbass bias usually makes bass sound shallow.
I will probably have a chance to find out how it sounds when Phonix arrives.

Dec 6, 2021 at 4:10 AM Post #5,719 of 91,358
To beat the Monday blues, I ordered a set of the ISN H50 this morning from Penon Audio... getting a lot of praise for a $300 hybrid so I decided to jump in... plus the H40 predecessor seems well loved too. I'll find out soon!

https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-h50.html?search=H50
Blue Monday indeed, lol
1638781729762.png

I'll check a little later...

Dec 6, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #5,720 of 91,358
Blue Monday indeed, lol
1638781729762.png
I'll check a little later...

I actually cancelled in the end but curiosity has crept in again, also for Serial...

Dec 6, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #5,721 of 91,358
The H40 was the first IEM to wow me when I first entered the hobby with its bass and soundstage. it's like a mini LX. Apparently the H50 is better, so you could well be in for a treat.
H50 is completely different tuning. Its more mature, airier. Focusing on clarity rather than pure fun. And not it has a bit more resolution which was the only gripe on h40.
I have them both and with their vacuum fit they are best thing ever to wear in a gym or jogging. Though tonally some might still like h40 over h50.

Dec 6, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #5,722 of 91,358
H50 is completely different tuning. Its more mature, airier. Focusing on clarity rather than pure fun. And not it has a bit more resolution which was the only gripe on h40.
I have them both and with their vacuum fit they are best thing ever to wear in a gym or jogging. Though tonally some might still like h40 over h50.
Thanks, I actually was fallowing the ISN thread and read your Impressions. I like the H40 for being juvenile, haha. I wasn't going for mature. I agree about the fit. It's amazing.

Dec 6, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #5,723 of 91,358
Interesting. What kind of electronic music would thay be? Just curious, as for any electronic music, for me iem must have a slight subbass focus. Though im not denying that midbass presence is critical for it too. Im more for a certain subbass to midbass ration. Any midbass bias usually makes bass sound shallow.
I will probably have a chance to find out how it sounds when Phonix arrives.

Stuff like this.

I listen to a lot of minimal techno and it seems to really benefit from a slight mid-bass emphasis. I tend to notice the opposite, namely that if there isn't enough of a mid-bass emphasis the sound as a whole comes off too thin to me.

Dec 6, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #5,724 of 91,358
Using the largest included tips on IER-Z1R can work for a more shallow fit. Luckily Sony include a heap of tips so you just have to experiment. When I first got mine, it took about 2 weeks to actually get the right fit haha!

God I miss my IER-Z1R 😩 that IEM was my bae.

I'm still shocked that you sold it. I let out an audible "double you tee eff" when I saw your listing.

In other news I have new gear arriving today :D. Sitting here at work wishing I could just fast forward through the day so I can demo my new IEMs.

Dec 6, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #5,725 of 91,358
I'm still shocked that you sold it. I let out an audible "double you tee eff" when I saw your listing.

In other news I have new gear arriving today :D. Sitting here at work wishing I could just fast forward through the day so I can demo my new IEMs.
If they sound as good as y'all say... Only one way to find out, right?

Dec 6, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #5,726 of 91,358
How does a company not take measurements of there own product? Unless graphs were not a normalized thing then….I’m unsure. It’s just a bit surprising to me but I’m also not super familiar being only a year into the hobby.

What was the little Eden selling for?
$1,990

I had the exact same experience with the InEar ProMission X. While measurements of their widely acclaimed Prophile-8 are all over the place there's not a single FR chart for their $2,500 top model. I didn't believe customer service, kept on asking, and in the end the CEO told me they don't have anything like it! These guys are selling to musicians and studios! Flabbergasted...

drftr

Dec 6, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #5,727 of 91,358
Did some tweaking to my ranking list-- deleted a couple sections and added "Air" as well as "Midrange Body". Also I deleted many IEMs I only managed superficially short demos of. Of the IEMs on this list I have owned 18 of them and the others I either had on hand for at least week or have demoed multiple times. Usual caveats that this is all subjective and subject to my own biases, preferences, perceptions etc...it's far from perfect I know but it's evolved into a pretty decent measure of my own perceptions & values.

Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 9.30.37 PM.png
Very useful how you structured your list

Dec 6, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #5,729 of 91,358
If they sound as good as y'all say... Only one way to find out, right?

The Z1R? Absolutely they do. My only issue with them is that they're not my ideal FR-- were it not for that I'd still have a set. I may even splurge on a third pair some day. If you wind up getting a pair and loving them I call some bragging rights for nudging you in that direction

Very useful how you structured your list

Thanks! It's a labor of love and a perennial work in progress. Also, it's shocking to me to think that, in the last 3 years, I've owned all but 3 of the IEMs on that list.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #5,730 of 91,358
Stuff like this.

I listen to a lot of minimal techno and it seems to really benefit from a slight mid-bass emphasis. I tend to notice the opposite, namely that if there isn't enough of a mid-bass emphasis the sound as a whole comes off too thin to me.

Gotha. I do have quite a bit of minimal mushed in to my library. Brejcha pulled me in towards it some time ago. But hes a got a bit of his own flavour to it.
Seems like we just preference it a bit different after all. But i think minimal would be the genre that i could tolerate midbass the most.
On speedier music i need a bit more clarity over thickness. Thats only talking about electronic music though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back