The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 10, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #55,516 of 89,277
Very true. I don't know of any non-audiophiles that would recognize 90%+ of the brands that we discuss here. Everyone knows Sony.

EDIT - To add to this, Sony likely focuses much less on high end portable audio than a brand like UM which is solely focused on Head-Fi gear. Even so, Unique Melody does seem to pump out new releases faster than most.
Sure they do. Look at how many DAPs Sony has rolled out over the past 2 years. I just don't think their focus is on wearables nowadays.

Apr 10, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #55,517 of 89,277
Sony is in something of a unique position as well given that they're literally the OG'est of OG portable audio brands with a sterling rep that's lasted decades.
I mentioned to one of my non-audiophile friends that I will be traveling with a Sony Walkman, he was so shocked since he thought I was still carrying a audio cassette player.

Apr 10, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #55,520 of 89,277
My review for the excellent Fibae 5 is now published and available HERE

And of course I can't submit a post without a picture :)

IMG_3198 copy.jpeg

Apr 10, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #55,521 of 89,277
My review for the excellent Fibae 5 is now published and available HERE

And of course I can't submit a post without a picture :)

Great timing. I was looking at this quarter's water cooler vote and I noted that this IEM is very highly ranked. I immediately wanted to know more about it and there you are delivering the info I need. Thanks and well done!

edited to note: I got to hear the 64 Audio U4s and I really liked it, especially at its price point. Seems like this IEM is a direct competitor to that hybrid IEM.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #55,522 of 89,277
Great timing. I was looking at this quarter's water cooler vote and I noted that this IEM is very highly ranked. I immediately wanted to know more about it and there you are delivering the info I need. Thanks and well done!
The Beauty of the Glorious Cooler!

Apr 10, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #55,523 of 89,277

edited to note: I got to hear the 64 Audio U4s and I really liked it, especially at its price point. Seems like this IEM is a direct competitor to that hybrid IEM.

F5 is a tribrid. Dd-ba-planar :D

Apr 10, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #55,524 of 89,277
Apr 10, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #55,525 of 89,277
Rn6 CIEM ordered. Now the wait begins!

@aaf evo finally have his revenge after I got him to join the 64 squad.

Apr 10, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #55,527 of 89,277
Oh sir… I had the A18s and the A18t long before I got my A12t. Don’t give yourself too much credit. 🤪
Psssht details.

Apr 10, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #55,528 of 89,277
VIJAY IYER TRIO LIVE AT SFJAZZ
16F5D6B4-BB10-482F-9B9C-03430546AB21.jpeg
One of the BEST shows I’ve ever been to, hands down! This group is so symbiotic and in sync with one another. It was on another level. I found myself laughing to myself throughout the performance at the sheer absurdity of how talented they all are. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Mesmerizing skill, soul and craft.

They played one extended set, with a standing ovation about mid way through, a standing ovation at the end, a 20minute encore rendition of “children of flint” off the amazing Album ‘Uneasy’ on ECM and yet another standing ovation. This is the type of Jazz performance one dreams of and will go down in my memory banks as an absolute genius set from three of Jazz’ finest musicians.

I've seen Vijay Iyer a couple of times now, and he's at his best when his group is being super avant-garde.

I haven't had a chance to listen to his album with arooj aftab, "Love in Exile", must do tomorrow.

Apr 10, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #55,529 of 89,277
Oh. I missed that important detail. I am not generally a fan due to incoherence.
I am a fan of the F5, in a world of IEMs that call attention to themselves this one does not. The DD bass is probably the best part, really well done, there when it is needed and stays where it belongs otherwise. Treble is nice with the planar. The weak spot is the mids which are BA fine, struggle a little bit with energetic passages. For the price, the lightness, the fit, and the included cable it is a stellar package.
And oh yeah I find it very coherent.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #55,530 of 89,277
I was interested in F5 but I am a little bit turned off by its Mids in the review. BTW, I read another review that was praising F5 for having wonderful treble as its selling point, then I read the most recent ads in classified "Good basshead set, just not my cup of tea." I am really confused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back