The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 2, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #5,521 of 88,418
Man, this is the most active thread on head-fi. Good job on everybody who is contributing. I am trying to stop the urge of buying new things that are hyped here on this threads but I enjoy reading about the new stuff. The reason why I stopped buying is because I realized that after every new purchase I still go back to my JH Roxanne out of my Acoustic Research AR M2 dap. Even though I tried other great iems and daps I still didn't find a better solution so I want to take a break maybe in time other new things are going to be released and I will try again. The things that are on my radar are Fiio M17 and JH Audio Jolene

Dec 2, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #5,522 of 88,418
Man, this is the most active thread on head-fi. Good job on everybody who is contributing. I am trying to stop the urge of buying new things that are hyped here on this threads but I enjoy reading about the new stuff. The reason why I stopped buying is because I realized that after every new purchase I still go back to my JH Roxanne out of my Acoustic Research AR M2 dap. Even though I tried other great iems and daps I still didn't find a better solution so I want to take a break maybe in time other new things are going to be released and I will try again. The things that are on my radar are Fiio M17 and JH Audio Jolene
Good on you for keeping the urge in check. In my experience if you already own something that you do like, the idea and excitement of a shiny new toy is almost always better than the actual thing (especially after the honeymoon phase) . Even if the new toy is objectively superior, the enjoyment you get out of it doesn't always corelate to that.

Dec 2, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #5,523 of 88,418
I'm clueless why you think your retirement would be accepted by the community though. Some people are truly puzzling... 🙃

drftr
Lol! 😅 My focus is on professional writing now and I need the time for that. Plus, I was starting to feel a bit pressured by manufacturers and did not want to end up as some kind of extension of their marketing team. Perhaps at some point I might be inspired to review something again, but then it will need to be entirely on my own terms and in my own time.

Dec 2, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #5,524 of 88,418
Lol! 😅 My focus is on professional writing now and I need the time for that. Plus, I was starting to feel a bit pressured by manufacturers and did not want to end up as some kind of extension of their marketing team. Perhaps at some point I might be inspired to review something again, but then it will need to be entirely on my own terms and in my own time.
Just wanted to let you know I'm not going to melt down your statue anytime soon as I learned a TON by reading your IEM and music reviews 🥰 Might run into you in good old Dutchland in a few months (if it's not burned down by COVID extremists that is...).

drftr

Dec 2, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #5,525 of 88,418
Yeah, @Rockwell75 had a good idea in creating it. It was at times hard to figure out where to post stuff that didn't fit nicely into an existing thread.

Dec 2, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #5,526 of 88,418
Yeah, it is a nice place where you can chat about everything with the main focus on music and devices to listen to music. I am glad that people find the time to post their thoughts and opinions

Dec 2, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #5,527 of 88,418
My Isabellae is back in Canada...I may even have it tomorrow...can't wait to hear it again after so many months.

Dec 2, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #5,528 of 88,418
Just wanted to let you know I'm not going to melt down your statue anytime soon as I learned a TON by reading your IEM and music reviews 🥰 Might run into you in good old Dutchland in a few months (if it's not burned down by COVID extremists that is...).

drftr
Lol! Thanks, appreciate the compliment. If we survive all the riots and if for some extraordinary reason you need to be in the most boring part of the country, then you can find me up north near Groningen. 😉

Dec 2, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #5,529 of 88,418
Mini Review of Fiio FH5s Pro and comparison with IMR Acoustics Splash Of Red:

20211202_130257.jpg

Courtesy of a friend, I got the opportunity to experience the Fiio FH5s Pro for a while. I compared it with my current daily driver, IMR Splash Of Red.

FH5s Pro: Bass On - Mid On - Treble Off | Balanced eartips
Splash Of Red: Grey nozzle and Black filter configuration | Azla Sedna Crystal tips

Here are my observations:
  • Low
    • Bass of FH5s Pro has good amount of quantity and impact. However, it sounds a bit loose and soft and polite. I won’t say that it’s boomy or muddy, but it definitely has a slightly loose feeling to it. The attacks or impacts feel a bit softer compared to Splash Of Red, which hits quite hard and yet remains very tight and clean. FH5s Pro low end notes have a longer decay than SOR. However, due to the harder impact on SOR, it definitely feels more engaging and more real. SOR low notes are distinctly more tactile and physical. Kickdrum hits and bass guitar notes have much better grunt and power on SOR, without shadowing the midrange. On FH5s Pro the low end seems to play a bit too safe, lacking that life. I never thought I would say this, but on FH5s Pro the low end notes sound distinctly smoother whereas SOR produces a much more well-sculpted and dynamic low end with more rumble and more slam and better note definition. Hence, perceived details are more on SOR.

• Mid:
    • Midrange of FH5s Pro is slightly pushed back compared to SOR, which has its mid pushed forward. FH5s Pro mids have a greater sense of spaciousness compared to SOR - takes the crown there. Midrange sounds distinctly more grand on FH5s pro with more expansion and more air between notes. The multi BA drivers were definitely flexing their muscle there coupled with the vented backplate - Splash Of Red stands no chance against it.
    • However, the notes feel very slightly smaller than SOR, and have a bit less presence. SOR midrange notes have a bigger presence and are more intimate, sounding more engaging. Detail wise again I cannot feel any evident loss of detail, but for sure SOR midrange notes feel more well sculpted than FH5s Pro notes, which are a bit smooth and polite.
    • Lower midrange has distinctly more note weight and body on SOR, while on FH5s Pro it does not feel unnaturally thin, but is most definitely lighter and has less body in comparison. Leonard Cohen’s voice sounds deep and powerful in Hallelujah with SOR, while with FH5s pro it just sounds good, but misses that power and grunt.
    • While it comes to the upper midrange, I believe it is a toss between them. FH5s Pro produces the female vocals in a smooth way so that the occasional sizzles and edges does not bother the listener. It works splendidly, making it a very pleasant experience. Even though the sizzles and edges are controlled, they are not polished off, and hence female vocals do not sound lifeless or overly smooth and muted. Instead, the energy is still fully preserved, just the musicality is enhanced. In addition, female vocals have slightly more body on FH5s Pro. Splash Of Red has a bit more bright and very slightly thinner female vocals in comparison. The sizzles are accentuated a bit and edges are very slightly more sharpened. Although they do not cause much discomfort, and cross the threshold of comfort very rarely, given the choice, I would definitely prefer FH5s Pro upper mids in comparison to SOR.
    • Have to point out another aspect - FH5s pro performs much better in case of portraying the background instrument. On FH5s Pro the background instruments sound larger and more life-like, whereas on SOR they sound clearer but smaller. This was very much evident on Yao Si Ting’s rendition of Scarborough Fair - the background violins sound a lot larger and prominent on FH5s Pro, on SOR they sound a bit more crisp, but not as large.

• High:
    • When it comes to treble, in my book, it is a draw yet again. While I love the crisp and prominent treble of Splash Of Red, the forwardness of it sometimes works for it, sometimes against it. On tracks with laid back treble, SOR brings it out splendidly, but on tracks with already lively treble the treble comes even more forward, often sitting at the same level with midrange. Point to note - it never gets unbearably bright though. FH5s Pro has a rather laid back treble response compared to SOR, with a bit less amount of energy and brightness. But still, the treble is crisp enough and has enough energy to have its own distinct presence. It for sure does not sound muted. The extension is quite good as well. What’s more, because the treble never comes too forward, it creates a better sense of space and produces better layering of sound. The treble always stays one step back from the midrange, and yet boasts a prominent presence nonetheless.

• Technicalities:
    • Regarding soundstage, FH5s Pro wins hands down. As already stated above, the FH5s Pro has a much grander stage, better in all 3 dimensions - width, height, and depth, than Splash Of Red. The outstanding separation and imaging creates a decidedly three dimensional holographic soundstage that definitely traps the listener in with awe. At least it did me. The vented backplate I guess helps create the effect. Splash Of Red really does not stand a chance here, even though it is by no means a claustrophobic sounding iem, no, it is not. The sound of SOR is still pretty open with an intimate presentation but with quite good imaging. The FH5s pro is simply better in this regard.

Conclusion: FH5s Pro is indeed an outstanding iem for the price, and if only the low and lower midcould be improved a bit more, it would have been a winner hands down!

20211202_174729.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #5,532 of 88,418
Sorry one last music post for now, I'll even put it in a spoiler :) This guy really reminds me of The National in terms of his voice but the music more 80's synth pop, wonderful album and stunning on Dark Sky.

I posted about Dark Sky in a group on Facebook and a guy commented to say "The Hong Konger put Dark Sky, 1697ti and IE900 as three godly DD IEMS" - I've not heard 1697ti (yet!) but I absolutely agree on the other two.

Dec 2, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #5,533 of 88,418
I've not yet listened but will be shortly, a phenomenal list of artists on this mix of ambient by Coldcut and Mixmaster Morris.

I think I need to listen to that!

Dec 2, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #5,535 of 88,418
I've not yet listened but will be shortly, a phenomenal list of artists on this mix of ambient by Coldcut and Mixmaster Morris.

Wow, thanks for this, just sitting down to work this morning, and this should be a nice complement at higher or lower volume...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back