The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 12, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #52,186 of 88,483
I have a Macbook with a 2TB SSD. On it I have a Music folder with everything organized in a way that I like. One of the things I love about the LP6 is that "Folder Mode" is really snappy and so I can load up a 1TB SD card and navigate my library on the player exactly as I would on the card. On a DAP more intended for purely portable use I would have a much more scaled down selection of music-- often just a massive playlist for taking out and about.

For anyone interested here is a snapshot:

Screen Shot 2023-03-12 at 3.43.24 PM.png
Jeff, gonna tease you a bit: Genres? I find it so reductive, I’d lose my mind on how to categorize anything, lol.

Mar 12, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #52,187 of 88,483
And talks of microSDs bubbling up in N8ii thread – Micron i400 vs i300.

Actually semi paying attention to that one, if Spotify ever goes high res I’ll need a new SD card since I mailed mine away with my M6 U and my current library is only about 37gb. Bring on the 🐍 oil.

Mar 12, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #52,188 of 88,483
If you want to go super brawny with it, maybe a custom Code 23? :slight_smile:

Screen Shot 2023-03-12 at 4.45.18 PM.png

Carbon fiber to keep the weight down lol. 🤣
Or just buy a radon 6 and sell the IEMs. Seriously, that cable has a whole lot of code 23 vibes, and is making me thankful I didn't get the code 23 when it first got unveiled. Wouldn't at all be surprised if it's a secret collab.

Mar 12, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #52,190 of 88,483
Actually semi paying attention to that one, if Spotify ever goes high res I’ll need a new SD card since I mailed mine away with my M6 U and my current library is only about 37gb. Bring on the 🐍 oil.

If you need the largest storage available on a microSD, Micron's new i400 1.5tb is the largest in its class. But when it comes to promoting / recommending one brand over another because it's sonically superior, I'm on the fence – it's like cable discussions which can take a dive very quickly and brings back memories of pages of pages of microSD convos in iBasso DX300 and 3MAX threads – but I do like my Micron microSDs for their reliability.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #52,192 of 88,483
I have a demo of the Code 23. Here's a pic of me wearing it:

20190314_144902.jpg

:p

How'd you get that python gold color? Jelly...

Or just buy a radon 6 and sell the IEMs. Seriously, that cable has a whole lot of code 23 vibes, and is making me thankful I didn't get the code 23 when it first got unveiled. Wouldn't at all be surprised if it's a secret collab.

Hmm, then we may need to summon @Eric Chong to get a custom Inferno made. :smile:

Mar 12, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #52,193 of 88,483
Don't like it? I've heard good things other than the weight and thickness.
Just the opposite. I thought it was really cool when they unveiled it. I just don't need two. If I'd bought it before, it'd render the one coming with the Firs redundant.

Mar 12, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #52,195 of 88,483

While Rn6's cable shares EA's Code 23 insulation coloration including many other brands where brown is the new black, Rn6 cable is pure silver with OCC copper shielding versus Code 23's all copper (solid core surrounded by 12 cores) and then there's the potential signature differences between the two. If it was a collab, I'd reckon we would have seen ConX connectors.

Looking forward to comparing Rn6's silver cable versus EA's Code 23 this weekend / early next week. 5 more days until shipping date 🥳

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #52,196 of 88,483
Mar 12, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #52,197 of 88,483
Jeff, gonna tease you a bit: Genres? I find it so reductive, I’d lose my mind on how to categorize anything, lol.

Are you teasing me for my specific genre categories, or that I split things into genre at all?

If the latter I kind of get what you mean-- I'm not one to obsessively categorize things...but that music library is something I've been cultivating continuously for about the last 20 years. I need to have some sort of structure just to keep track of my 1000+ albums/folders...having to scroll through one massive list would be unbearable.

Mar 12, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #52,198 of 88,483
While Rn6's cable shares EA's Code 23 insulation coloration including many other brands where brown is the new black, Rn6 cable is pure silver with OCC copper shielding versus Code 23's all copper (solid core surrounded by 12 cores) and then there's the potential signature differences between the two. If it was a collab, I'd reckon we would have seen ConX connectors.

Looking forward to comparing Rn6's silver cable versus EA's Code 23 this weekend / early next week. 5 more days until shipping date 🥳
I agree with most of this, but I don't know about the ConX connectors. If it was specially made for the rn6, and given that all the frontiers use 2 pin, it wouldn't necessarily make sense to include interchangeable connectors.

Mar 12, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #52,199 of 88,483
Are you teasing me for my specific genre categories, or that I split things into genre at all?

If the latter I kind of get what you mean-- I'm not one to obsessively categorize things...but that music library is something I've been cultivating continuously for about the last 20 years. I need to have some sort of structure just to keep track of my 1000+ albums/folders...having to scroll through one massive list would be unbearable.
I tried to folder split by category a while ago before I realized that would not work with the P6Pro and scrapped it. I ran into trouble with some artists such as Brian Eno and Ry Cooder who cross genres with their catalog.

Mar 12, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #52,200 of 88,483
I agree with most of this, but I don't know about the ConX connectors. If it was specially made for the rn6, and given that all the frontiers use 2 pin, it wouldn't necessarily make sense to include interchangeable connectors.

The 2-pin connectors used on the Rn6 are closer to what something like ET offers than one out of EA's parts bin ConX or not – see Noble Ronin ET cable. Y-slitter is unique to FiR and haven't seen the hardware design replicated across any other cable manufacturers.

What I'm disagreeing on is earlier comment that Rn6's cable is comparable to Code 23 when they are two distinctly different cables and materials.

Until then more will be revealed closer to launch :rabbit2: 🥳
and hearing your impressions :dt880smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back