The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 12, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #52,216 of 88,496
Mar 12, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #52,217 of 88,496
Hey everyone so I'm considering finally dipping my toes into the iem market after finding the perfect headphone for me (d8000 pro) and was looking for any good suggestions.

I don't want to go straight into flagship territory so I can get a sense of the sorta sound I like first, with headphones it took me a while to settle on the d8k as my preference and think it'll be the same with iems.

That being said I've got a couple currently in mind around the 500-600 dollar mark, anyone got any thoughts on the better contender out of the dunu sa6 or the symphonium meteor or any other good suggestions in that price bracket?

Cheers
For my preference, the Meteor is much better than the SA6. The Final A5000 is better than the SA6 IMO also. Truthear HEXA is surprisingly good also for the price. Heck you could get the HEXA AND the A5000 for less than either of those. Just my $.02.

Mar 12, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #52,220 of 88,496
Mar 12, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #52,221 of 88,496
Hi folks,

Is there any definite technical / electronic answer why IEM “scale”? For instance, let’s take two DAPs: the AP80 Pro X mini DAP with dual ESS something, and M6 Ultra with 4 AKM and 2 Ricoh Opamp. Given a sensitive IEM, say, the Andromeda 2020. It is still easily audible (at least to me) that the Andromeda sounds less 3D, flatter, and more congested with the AP80 Pro X, even though neither DAP requires more than 30/100 volume. Max output is definitely not a problem. Both have output impedance <1 ohm. What could be the cause?

(This question stems from @twister6 ‘s contraption above)
I'm going to argue slightly with @drftr here. But only a little. You're going to get a different coloration from different amps, DAC, wiring, outputs, etc. That's likely the difference you're hearing, and yes, that does mean that you're getting "more" of the sound from some DAPs, but also a different sound as well.

Mar 12, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #52,223 of 88,496
Oh boy, the Wolf family going crazy...

1678676729051.png

Mar 12, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #52,224 of 88,496
I'm going to argue slightly with @drftr here. But only a little. You're going to get a different coloration from different amps, DAC, wiring, outputs, etc. That's likely the difference you're hearing, and yes, that does mean that you're getting "more" of the sound from some DAPs, but also a different sound as well.
That's not an argument. That's perfectly in line with what I said.

This is an argument:

drftr

Mar 12, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #52,225 of 88,496
For my preference, the Meteor is much better than the SA6. The Final A5000 is better than the SA6 IMO also. Truthear HEXA is surprisingly good also for the price. Heck you could get the HEXA AND the A5000 for less than either of those. Just my $.02.
Cheers for the advice, ngl I've heard good things about the sa6 but the plus over the meteor for me is the looks and the flexibility of switching out the connectors on the cable easily

Is the meteor very clear of it sonically for you?

Mar 12, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #52,226 of 88,496
Cheers for the advice, ngl I've heard good things about the sa6 but the plus over the meteor for me is the looks and the flexibility of switching out the connectors on the cable easily

Is the meteor very clear of it sonically for you?
You can buy a Kinera Ace for $40 - it's a nice modular cable just like the SA6 has. That's not a good reason to get an IEM. Sounds you've already made up your mind though, so good luck!

Mar 12, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #52,228 of 88,496
Suddenly changing the topic, both have similar themes/subjects, but completely different compositions and presentations. They hit so differently. Of the two, is there one that you prefer? And if so, which one and why? :slight_smile:

Mar 12, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #52,229 of 88,496
I have a Macbook with a 2TB SSD. On it I have a Music folder with everything organized in a way that I like. One of the things I love about the LP6 is that "Folder Mode" is really snappy and so I can load up a 1TB SD card and navigate my library on the player exactly as I would on the card. On a DAP more intended for purely portable use I would have a much more scaled down selection of music-- often just a massive playlist for taking out and about.

For anyone interested here is a snapshot:

Donald Byrd & Kokoroko ...alright nah @Rockwell75!

Mar 12, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #52,230 of 88,496
:smile: I guess that speaks to how Neutral the ES80 is (with a capital N).

🤣 :punch:

I actually haven't heard it - ugh okay - confession time...

Dermatologically-speaking, I tend to experience issues with tips. I can get great seals, especially with SpinFit CP100s, so it's not a seal or fit issue. But consistent contact and pressure from tips causes me all kinds of gross skin irritation in as little as 4-5 hours of wear.

It's because of this that I'll only review or wear customs. I just don't feel it's fair of me to review something after only a few hours with it (especially as a multigenralist) using tips, nor would I be so unkind to myself as to get universals that I can't enjoy for longer periods. It is what it is, and I've long since resigned myself to this limitation.

So unless @aromaaudio or @MusicTeck want to arrange a custom Jewel for me to review, I doubt I'll spend much time with one anytime soon, which is totally fine as I can't possibly imagine that there's a lack of impressions for it anyway. :smile:

I was just thinking the same! :punch:

This reminds me of TMAC (Themed Monthly Avatar Committee), where we occasionally changed our avatars to the exact same thing to honor somebody or something. Turns out, a lot of people don't even look at usernames, and just go off avatars for recognition. We caused quite of bit of confusion in threads all over the site, by all adopting the same avatar. 👿

But more importantly, this gives me a segueway to talk about something else that TMAC did, to entertain y'all on this fine Sunday. One month, we all decided to pay homage to Jude, with Jude January as our theme. We chose to do so in a very specific way: Inserting Jude into movie posters. Quite a few of us made a bunch of avatars to fulfill requests. Here are some of mine: https://www.head-fi.org/media/albums/jude-january.900252/ 🤣
Have you ever tried Azla Xelastec Eartips @warrenpchi ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back