The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 3, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #45,272 of 89,277
I am probably going to get my Indigo converted into a custom. I love it that much.
wow! I just got the MEST MKII in today. I have heard so many good things about the Indigo, I might sell/return them and aim for the Indigo. Side note, I'm still loving the IER-Z1R and it might be the IEM I will never sell.

Jan 3, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #45,273 of 89,277
Yesterday I had an opportunity to try noble audio, Ragnar. It began with the store clerk asking me if I had made an appointment, to which, to my surprise, I said no. I wanted to crack a joke and say I was here to try an IEM, not get my prostate checked, but I didn't. Each time to go to Addicted to Audio, I remember why I avoid them and why, locally, MiniDisc is so loved!

Wonderfully built, but that's all I can say. I struggle to get a good fit. Upon the first insertion, I heard the dynamic driver flex, which based on experience, is a massive sign of worry. In the 15 years I've been in this hobby, all IEM I had and heard driver flex died on me. Driver flex suggests poor driver venting; sooner or later, it will die.
I expect better from an IEM costing +$6,000 AUD. I never heard of such an issue on IER-Z1R, which uses a sensitive dynamic driver as a tweeter/super tweeter.

When I did manage to get a good seal, yes, I got the sound, and I did like it. It reminded me of Astrotec Phoneix 6 .

Anyways, enough of me ranting; glad it didn't work out, and I've regained respect for Astrotec Phoneix 6 with upgraded shield UPOCC cable. No more blind purchasing for me; upper high-end items must be demoed first-hand, and no amount of review can substitute that.

Now the only IEM left on my mind is KM audio Neptunus. I hope musicteck starts carrying them soon.

1672787856052.png

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #45,274 of 89,277
Jan 3, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #45,275 of 89,277
Do they make one with the Edition X faceplate for you?
ED X comes with 2 extra faceplates, one of them fit on AMP12/14 as well

Jan 3, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #45,276 of 89,277
wow! I just got the MEST MKII in today. I have heard so many good things about the Indigo, I might sell/return them and aim for the Indigo. Side note, I'm still loving the IER-Z1R and it might be the IEM I will never sell.
Please do enjoy the Mest 2 for as long as you can. The bone conduction spatial effect had me mesmerised and is unlike anything else. Yes Indigo is an upgrade but it’s 2-3 times the price. Anyway be great to hear how you’re getting on with the Mest 2!

Jan 3, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #45,277 of 89,277
Jan 3, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #45,278 of 89,277
So you’ll have 1 day to test 320x stock 🤭

That sounds like plenty of time before delving into tube goodness... I have high hopes for it with my DDs.

Jan 3, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #45,280 of 89,277
Interesting. I had heard they had mitigated the wifi noise problem with the AMP14 but perhaps not...

Jan 3, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #45,283 of 89,277
Outside of head-fi I think most would say cables dont make a difference (at least not outside of differences arising from impedence changes/mismatches). I happen to mostly agree, but I also know that its not worth getting into a fight over, so on head-fi where thats the prevailing wisdom, I just usually stay out of those discussions. Its kind of an echo chamber (as are most online spaces), so if this is the only place you come to get your info about the hobby it will of course seem like nobody disagrees.
I used to think that I heard a difference with cables. then, I started listening to the arguments from the sound science guys and they made some sense, so I attributed any difference I heard to operator error on my part and maybe confirmation bias. I became a cable agnostic.

Then, I started really spending a lot of time a/b testing different IEMs with different cables, tips and sources. Now, after having heard hundreds and hundreds of combinations over an extended period of time, I am now convinced that cables absolutely impact sound. I will listen to 3 or 4 different sets on a given day. So, this is not a one and done situation. To me, the debate is over because I have convinced myself beyond any reasonable doubt that they make a difference and since it is my money I am spending, I don't really care what other people think.

Jan 3, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #45,284 of 89,277
Jan 3, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #45,285 of 89,277
This has become what has to be my favorite test track as of late. I've always adored Michael Giacchino's stuff ever since the 2009 Trek reboot film (he also did the score to The Batman). That moment about a minute and a half in when the full orchestra warms up just makes me smile every time, especially on the khopensh. It's also my go-to track for testing EST drivers (if they're there, more than the strings singing, there's that little bit of extra sparkle when the harp notes come in):

Side note: Prodigy is unironically an excellent all-ages appropriate Star Trek, and I'll absolutely be tuning in for season 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back