The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 3, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #45,241 of 89,318
Set aside--just for a moment, before the wolves descend on me here--sonic qualities entirely. Assume, for the sake of argument, that cables make zero impact on the sound. Given that, would you (or I) drop, say, several thousand dollars on an upgrade cable? Probably not. Does that make changing cables entirely unnecessary always? Nope, not that either.

I especially like this one read from major hifi, if only because their author agrees with a lot of my sentiments.
https://majorhifi.com/copper-silver...bles-whats-the-difference-and-does-it-matter/

I'm actually surprised they published this article since majorhifi is a promotional website created by audio46, saying cables are BS, though at the end adding "get whatever cables you want from audio46" LOL

Jan 3, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #45,242 of 89,318
I still want an Indigo, but that one post about one member's set literally falling apart at the seams was a big, flashing caution sign for me. I've seen conflicting opinions about CFA's stuff, but never anything negative regarding build quality.
yeah, it seems people are having issues with UM build quality. I can see that in my own sets relative to say FIR Audio which has the best build quality I have seen in an IEM (ciem anyway). But, I trust UM customer service. If I have a problem with a set, I am sure they will fix it. In addition, they offer reshelling services. So, I am probably going to get my Indigo converted into a custom. I love it that much.

Jan 3, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #45,243 of 89,318
How does it stack against RS6?

Sorry I haven't heard the RS6. Best metric I can use is a baby Shanling M8 with a much faster processor.

Jan 3, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #45,244 of 89,318
Jan 3, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #45,245 of 89,318
I'm actually surprised they published this article since majorhifi is a promotional website created by audio46, saying cables are BS, though at the end adding "get whatever cables you want from audio46" LOL
I thought cable controversy was a thing of the past, but I'm shocked to read that it was posted just two months ago.
With that being said, I'm willing to give skeptics a benefit of the doubt by assuming that their impressions were through very low quality sources with cables of very similar quality of mediocrity.

Jan 3, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #45,246 of 89,318
Jan 3, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #45,247 of 89,318
Jan 3, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #45,248 of 89,318
Jan 3, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #45,249 of 89,318
Jan 3, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #45,251 of 89,318
I'd be shocked if we were minorities who hear differences between cables.

No but ideologically r/headphones is heavily skewed towards objectivist viewpoints a la "everything one can say about sound is manifest in the FR". It's hard to open your mind to hearing something you don't believe should exist in the first place. One thing about cables though for me they are mostly at the level of fine tuning and I've yet to have an experience where an IEM I liked became one I didn't, or vice versa, due to a cable swap. YMMV and all that.

Jan 3, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #45,252 of 89,318
Speaking about r/headphones, acutally not even true anymore :joy:

g51gt9scwi9a1.png

Jan 3, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #45,253 of 89,318
I...had no idea.
If I post any sort of affiliate link, assume it's because I'm wholly ignorant. Nobody pays me to post anything; I'm sponsor free.
Free, like the uniquely American taste of Coca-Cola™. Mmm, Coke--please, please give me money.
I thought cable controversy was a thing of the past, but I'm shocked to read that it was posted just two months ago.
With that being said, I'm willing to give skeptics a benefit of the doubt by assuming that their impressions were through very low quality sources with cables of very similar quality of mediocrity.
That's sort of my point though. I think there's diminishing returns when you cross the triple digit price point, like anything in this hobby, but there's usually merit in cable upgrades regardless for practical, very much real tangible benefits, especially if stock cables are of a flimsy gauge or material.

Jan 3, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #45,254 of 89,318
If I post any sort of affiliate link, assume it's because I'm wholly ignorant. Nobody pays me to post anything; I'm sponsor free.
Free, like the uniquely American taste of Coca-Cola™. Mmm, Coke--please, please give me money.

That's sort of my point though. I think there's diminishing returns when you cross the triple digit price point, like anything in this hobby, but there's usually merit in cable upgrades regardless for practical, very much real tangible benefits, especially if stock cables are of a flimsy gauge or material.
When the conversations occurr over cables we should keep in mind that cables and their materials used in their construction do modify the impedance of an electric circuit that is created with it's source (DAP/DAC) and the load (IEM or headphone).
The impact of these to the tuning will be highly variable and driven by the source (capacity and efficiency ), load impedance

Do different cables impact the electric circuit described above, Yes!!!! as each change the impedance

By how much it would be determined by each set up and the changes could be minimum like when using a phone vs a dedicated DAP, etc

If you have multiple cables, yes play around and you may find some differences

You would have to be very methodical as to truly capture the improvement or degradation of tuning due to a cable and to invest $$$$ on cables for just generic personal use.

I know some people in the forums do QA/QC for multiple manufacturers or a FT reviewers and as such in their line of work they do have set up's as to perform baselines tests and identify how frequency response varies according to changes on the impedance of the entire circuit at set mili-watt outputs from the source

Just my $0.02

Jan 3, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #45,255 of 89,318
yeah, it seems people are having issues with UM build quality. I can see that in my own sets relative to say FIR Audio which has the best build quality I have seen in an IEM (ciem anyway). But, I trust UM customer service. If I have a problem with a set, I am sure they will fix it. In addition, they offer reshelling services. So, I am probably going to get my Indigo converted into a custom. I love it that much.
They DID repair my unit, so I am not flat out angry at them or anything, just disappointed. Due to this incident and the overall release schedule and marketing of their flagship products I will stay away from UM in the future. Their IEMs sound amazing nonetheless.

My Indigo unit is still on sale here btw, the price dropped quite a bit!

Oh and happy new year to y'all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back