The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 10, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #4,081 of 88,290
In all seriousness though, it’s one I’ve not heard of and I thought I had every tip known to man

Nov 10, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #4,082 of 88,290
I’ve had the Duos in my ears for a few hours now and can offer a few preliminary thoughts as I wait for my takeout sushi order. In a nutshell, these are AWESOME…definitely the most enjoyable 64 IEM by my tastes that I’ve heard and one that I’m sure will sit comfortably within my top 10 when all the dust settles…maybe even too 5. They have that wonderful immersion & in your face engagement factor that I love about CFA IEMs but with a good dose of 64’s technical polish, balance and sonic refinement. It’s a great blending of both those worlds and devotees of both companies will find a lot to love here. Bass is present, subtly dominant, but doesn’t steal the show, mids are bodied, and natural with a nice analogue character and lastly the highs are sparkling and sweet but never overwhelming. The sense of balance and coherence is stellar. Everything stands out and yet nothing does. On the whole I’m thoroughly impressed right now and can’t wait to run more of my library through them. Will post more later.

Nov 10, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #4,083 of 88,290
I’ve had the Duos in my ears for a few hours now and can offer a few preliminary thoughts as I wait for my takeout sushi order. In a nutshell, these are AWESOME…definitely the most enjoyable 64 IEM by my tastes that I’ve heard and one that I’m sure will sit comfortably within my top 10 when all the dust settles…maybe even too 5. They have that wonderful immersion & in your face engagement factor that I love about CFA IEMs but with a good dose of 64’s technical polish, balance and sonic refinement. It’s a great blending of both those worlds and devotees of both companies will find a lot to love here. Bass is present, subtly dominant, but doesn’t steal the show, mids are bodied, and natural with a nice analogue character and lastly the highs are sparkling and sweet but never overwhelming. The sense of balance and coherence is stellar. Everything stands out and yet nothing does. On the whole I’m thoroughly impressed right now and can’t wait to run more of my library through them. Will post more later.
Hah, see totally knew I would be taking the credit on that one! But for real, Im glad you are liking them. I was honestly a little worried that my words may in part contributed to you spending over a thousand dollars on something that may not have worked for you. They seem to have flown a little bit under the radar in these parts since the release window is competing with some real real heavy hitters, and I think on a technical level they may not compete, but they have definitely been a real pleasure to listen to for me. People in these parts always seem much more interested in the highest end stuff.

To your point about everything and nothing standing out. Yea, thats kind of it. I have been trying to put it into words, and best I can come up with is that they are exciting and boring at the same time. Boring in the best possible sense. I think maybe a better word would be effortless.

How are you getting on with tips? Its weird, I have actually found that because of how open they are, tip selection is a little more difficult than otherwise since theres absolutely none of that suction I would normally rely on to signal that I have a good seal. I just switched over to a pair of medium azla crystals, and I think they are working quite well.

Nov 11, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #4,084 of 88,290
Hah, see totally knew I would be taking the credit on that one! But for real, Im glad you are liking them. I was honestly a little worried that my words may in part contributed to you spending over a thousand dollars on something that may not have worked for you.

It's all good your words were definitely part of the equation but there were a number of factors that conspired to make it a pretty safe bet-- and it's really paying off. The Duo are remarkable IEMs. I've been thinking of this a lot the last couple hours but I think their most remarkable quality is their impeccable balance of so many factors into a highly agreeable, addictive even, transparent, technical yet robust and engaging sound. I could see this IEM emerging as my #1 general rec across the board. I think of many of my favorite IEMs and the deal breakers some have had with them and the Duo is something I could see myself reccing in each case. Like the Solaris but wish for more bass impact and even keeled mids? Try the Duo. Like the Z1R but yearn for more meat on the mid-bass & lower mids? Try the Duo. Like the Andromeda and its technical yet playful and fun sound but wish for better bass and the same kind of balance? Try the Duo. Like the Dorado but wish it was better behaved with a more even keeled mid-range and less spiciness in the highs? Try the Duo. Like the transparent balance & technical skill of the u12t but wish for meat on the mids and a more emotionally evocative sound on the whole? Try the Duo. The list goes on and on...it's true that in each cases there are some sacrifices-- the Duo does not stand out for besting every IEM at its own game-- it doesn't have the near complete transparency of the u12t, the peerless subbass & treble of the IER Z1R, the holographic staging of the Solaris, the addictively primordial subterranean swagger of the Dorado, the intimate tenderness of the Isabellae etc.-- but but what it does is somehow provides just enough of all these things while absolutely mastering certain fundamentals, adding a dash of its own secret sauce and doing seemingly doing absolutely nothing really wrong. It does enough of the best of many of my favorite IEMs while never falling prey to any of their shortcomings. Alongside the Isabellae it is presently the towering release of 2021 for me.

They seem to have flown a little bit under the radar

They have but in fairness there are a few reasons for this, not the least of which was their ham-fisted promotional campaign with all its false starts that persisted through like 2-3 different release periods of IEMs. Couple that with the fact that many were hoping for was a new flagship $$ release and this must have been somewhat anti-climactic on that front. I'm not surprised many gave up and plunged on other stuff.

How are you getting on with tips? Its weird, I have actually found that because of how open they are, tip selection is a little more difficult than otherwise since theres absolutely none of that suction I would normally rely on to signal that I have a good seal. I just switched over to a pair of medium azla crystals, and I think they are working quite well.

TIps are a pretty standard affair. I pretty much use Sednafits across the board. Right now I'm enjoying the Crystals. Not a fan of the smooth bores though.

D1B52C69-235F-435B-8DDA-3A016B646BA9.JPEG

Dinner:
20C6CE70-5CC6-44DD-9DCC-B508B070B12B.JPEG

Some standout tracks:

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #4,085 of 88,290
@Rockwell75 - what a brilliant summation of the Duos. Thanks for being you.

Mine arrived yesterday and I have been comparing them to my Solaris (2020).

In the first blush of new toy honeymooning, with all the caveats that carries, I will say that for my use-case (home use only now that I have some decent TWS buds for the (un)real world), the Duo are going to leave the Solaris needing a therapist to deal with their neglect in times to come.

You used the word analogue earlier and praised their coherence of sound. Amen, brother. The Duo nail that sweet spot where the rivers of technical ability and musical beauty meet in a swell of harmonic confluence.

Naturally full and non-fatiguing (the way they release the pressure in the ear normally felt with IEMs is genius) would be my take outs; the large semi-open back staging comes at the price of some isolation, of course, but if you don't need to use them in nosiy situations then you'll be fine I reckon.

I don't know where 64Audio are positioning these in their line up, but their blurb is actually spot on here :

"Duo feels light, leaving your ears feeling open and relaxed even for long listening periods. You feel simultaneously connected to your physical surroundings while you’re enveloped by music. Relaxed tonality lets you put them on and get lost. It’s able to present a non-analytical top-end while retaining air and sizzle. The vast open air sensation supports an unobstructed soundstage with impactful center imaging (unlike many other open back headphones) as well as no loss of bass."

I can also say that all round I prefer them to the U12ts, which I admired for their technicals but couldn't quite fall in love with overall, they were a smidge too boring. Not getting that with the Duos. Aside from the sonics, the cable is a BIG step up from the 12ts, and the carry case no longer feels like the kind of physical and mental endurance trial they test astronauts with.

A huge win for me, this - I'll keep my Solaris still, as I want to give myself chance to let the Duos bed in and reveal their strengths/faults more over time. But it's with a sigh of relief that I write these words. Wallet-abuse can sometimes be a cruel, cruel thing here, but I definitely feel less guilty for the torture this time round.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #4,086 of 88,290
@Rockwell75 - what a brilliant summation of the Duos. Thanks for being you.

Mine arrived yesterday and I have been comparing them to my Solaris (2020).

In the first blush of new toy honeymooning, with all the caveats that carries, I will say that for my use-case (home use only now that I have some decent TWS buds for the (un)real world), the Duo are going to leave the Solaris needing a therapist to deal with their neglect in times to come.

You used the word analogue earlier and praised their coherence of sound. Amen, brother. The Duo nail that sweet spot where the rivers of technical ability and musical beauty meet in a swell of harmonic confluence.

Naturally full and non-fatiguing (the way they release the pressure in the ear normally felt with IEMs is genius) would be my take outs; the large semi-open back staging comes at the price of some isolation, of course, but if you don't need to use them in nosiy situations then you'll be fine I reckon.

I don't know where 64Audio are positioning these in their line up, but their blurb is actually spot on here :

"Duo feels light, leaving your ears feeling open and relaxed even for long listening periods. You feel simultaneously connected to your physical surroundings while you’re enveloped by music. Relaxed tonality lets you put them on and get lost. It’s able to present a non-analytical top-end while retaining air and sizzle. The vast open air sensation supports an unobstructed soundstage with impactful center imaging (unlike many other open back headphones) as well as no loss of bass."

I can also say that all round I prefer them to the U12ts, which I admired for their technicals but couldn't quite fall in love with overall, they were a smidge too boring. Not getting that with the Duos. Aside from the sonics, the cable is a BIG step up from the 12ts, and the carry case no longer feels like the kind of physical and mental endurance trial they test astronauts with.

A huge win for me, this - I'll keep my Solaris still, as I want to give myself chance to let the Duos bed in and reveal their strengths/faults more over time. But it's with a sigh of relief that I write these words. Wallet-abuse can sometimes be a cruel, cruel thing here, but I definitely feel less guilty for the torture this time round.
Could you compare a little more directly against the Solaris 2020? In terms of soundstage/imaging, does the new apex tech out do the holographic presentation of Solaris? Just trying to imagine the Duo's sound with reference to something I've heard, thanks.

Nov 11, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #4,087 of 88,290
Could you compare a little more directly against the Solaris 2020? In terms of soundstage/imaging, does the new apex tech out do the holographic presentation of Solaris? Just trying to imagine the Duo's sound with reference to something I've
Sure. I did a comparison earlier using a Bob Dylan recording, via my laptop. Solaris with yellow bore cp-100 Spinfits, Duo with the supplied large blue core cp-145s.

First thing to notice is where I have volume set at 16 for the Solaris, I need it at 55 for the Duo to be roughly at the same level. They are harder to drive, which is to be expected given the Solaris are ridiculously sensitive.

Soundstage wise, its a hands down win (or should that be up and waving excitedly?) for the Duo. Solaris are much more intimate and in the head compared to the Duo. The Duo put the sound around me beautifully, as if I am there at the show, with a relaxed, natural tonality that sounds bang-on to my ears. It's not that the Solaris have a restricted stage or sense of space per se, but they pale when going toe to toe with the Duo - which come the closest of all IEMs I have tried to replicating the sense of space and air of a good set of open headphones.

Indeed, the Duo make me think that 64Audio have somehow found a really sweet spot sonically and physically in the intersection between headphones, earbuds (the recent Fiio EM5 spring to mind, which I have and love) and IEMs. It's a beautiful spot to be in as a listener, as fatigue-free and light in the ears as one could wish for. I could have these in all day, if I only the toad of work wasn't squatting on my shoulder.

Does that help?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #4,088 of 88,290
Sure. I did a comparison earlier using a Bob Dylan recording, via my laptop. Solaris with yellow bore cp-100 Spinfits, Duo with the supplied large blue core cp-145s.

First thing to notice is where I have volume set at 16 for the Solaris, I need it at 55 for the Duo to be roughly at the same level. They are harder to drive, which is to be expected given the Solaris are ridiculously sensitive.

Soundstage wise, its a hands down win (or should that be up and waving excitedly?) for the Duo. Solaris are much more intimate and in the head compared to the Duo. The Duo put the sound around me beautifully, as if I am there at the show, with a relaxed, natural tonality that sounds bang-on to my ears. It's not that the Solaris have a restricted stage or sense of space per se, but they pale when going toe to toe with the Duo - which come the closest of all IEMs I have tried to replicating the sense of space and air of a good set of open headphones.

Indeed, the Duo make me think that 64Audio have somehow found a really sweet spot sonically and physically in the intersection between headphones, earbuds (the recent Fiio EM5 spring to mind, which I have and love) and IEMs. It's a beautiful spot to be in as a listener, as fatigue-free and light in the ears as one could wish for. I could have these in all day, if I only the toad of work wasn't squatting on my shoulder.

Does that help?
Thanks for the comparison! The Duo seems like the real deal, very exciting. It seems the ~$1k segment has gotten extremely competitive as of late, which can only be a good thing for us all.

I have a Fiio EM5 myself that I mostly use in bed when I don't want to worry about being careful with how I put my head on the pillow. They are total stunners! I got them out of curiosity to see what earbuds can do these days and was not disappointed. Very natural open sound with good bass presence (given the correct foam cover).

Nov 11, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #4,089 of 88,290
Thanks for the comparison! The Duo seems like the real deal, very exciting. It seems the ~$1k segment has gotten extremely competitive as of late, which can only be a good thing for us all.

I have a Fiio EM5 myself that I mostly use in bed when I don't want to worry about being careful with how I put my head on the pillow. They are total stunners! I got them out of curiosity to see what earbuds can do these days and was not disappointed. Very natural open sound with good bass presence (given the correct foam cover).
Great to meet a fellow EM5er! Yeah, I agree, they are quite something. The Duos are magic because they manage to use the secure form factor of an IEM and combine it with that open, 'real world' space of a top end bud like the Fiios. If you can afford to try them out, I would definitely say its worth a punt...

Nov 11, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #4,090 of 88,290
Solaris are much more intimate and in the head compared to the Duo. The Duo put the sound around me beautifully, as if I am there at the show, with a relaxed, natural tonality that sounds bang-on to my ears. It's not that the Solaris have a restricted stage or sense of space per se, but they pale when going toe to toe with the Duo - which come the closest of all IEMs I have tried to replicating the sense of space and air of a good set of open headphones.

I would personally still give it to Solaris OG/SE & the IER Z1R for that true open & holographic experience (I have limited/no experience with the 2020 Solaris)...the Duo comes close though. Where the Duo excels over those two for me is it has a much better balance of bass & mids across the FR. Solaris I think will appeal to those who like more neutrality in the bass (not me lately)-- as this is one of this things that contributes to its open and holographic feel. In short I don't think the Duo renders Solaris (or most other IEMs for that matter) obsolete or anything-- but I could see it making an ideal complement to just about everything. In terms of CFA's lineup I would agree with @ryanjsoo that the Dorado 2020 is the closest in spirit to the Duo and even here neither render the other obsolete. Dorado is a more unashamedly bass focused IEM and is wilder, more fun, more bombastic and has an analogue depth & clarity to it, thanks in part to the DD and acoustic properties of the ceramic, that the Duo can't quite match. The Duo, on the other hand, takes much that is great about the Dorado and gives it more open and spacious staging, a more technical sound that is in its own way no less engaging, undoubtedly more versatile and probably a safer rec for most people. I can see both getting loads of ear time from me and neither leaving my collection for a very long time.

How my current top 5 is shaping up:

1) Traillii
2) Elysium
3) Duo
4) Dorado 2020
5) Isabellae

Nov 11, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #4,091 of 88,290
I would personally still give it to Solaris OG/SE & the IER Z1R for that true open & holographic experience (I have limited/no experience with the 2020 Solaris)...the Duo comes close though. Where the Duo excels over those two for me is it has a much better balance of bass & mids across the FR. Solaris I think will appeal to those who like more neutrality in the bass (not me lately)-- as this is one of this things that contributes to its open and holographic feel. In short I don't think the Duo renders Solaris (or most other IEMs for that matter) obsolete or anything-- but I could see it making an ideal complement to just about everything. In terms of CFA's lineup I would agree with @ryanjsoo that the Dorado 2020 is the closest in spirit to the Duo and even here neither render the other obsolete. Dorado is a more unashamedly bass focused IEM and is wilder, more fun, more bombastic and has an analogue depth & clarity to it, thanks in part to the DD and acoustic properties of the ceramic, that the Duo can't quite match. The Duo, on the other hand, takes much that is great about the Dorado and gives it more open and spacious staging, a more technical sound that is in its own way no less engaging, undoubtedly more versatile and probably a safer rec for most people. I can see both getting loads of ear time from me and neither leaving my collection for a very long time.

1) Traillii
2) Elysium
3) Duo
4) Dorado 2020
5) Isabellae
Yeah I would love to try the OG or SE Solaris - I had the OG but it was too bulky for my liking in the ear and my auditory memory can't remember if they were more holographic than the 2020s.

Nov 11, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #4,092 of 88,290
can't remember if they were more holographic than the 2020s.

I've heard many reports that they were-- one of the side effects of the smaller enclosure I think.

Nov 11, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #4,093 of 88,290

1) Traillii
2) Elysium
3) Duo
4) Dorado 2020
5) Isabellae

Oriolus Isabellae - cant decide whether I find the name charming or ridiculous. Certainly easier to type than the Traillllliieeelllliiii and not as weird as the Gay Bulge.

Nov 11, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #4,094 of 88,290

Does that help?
I am glad you mentioned EM5. I loved it while I had it.

How Duo's soundstage compared to EM5?

I know it's not fair comparison but I just want to get a perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back