The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 9, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #39,646 of 87,762
What's the deal with Fourte Blanc? Was Fourte Noir a darker version of the Fourte? And if so does this mean the Blanc will be a brighter version?
Tia Forte were quite bright. V-shaped. This is the first.
Second, bright IEMs are 100% out of fashion now.

So I assume that Vitaly Bilonozhko just ran out of black and orange paint (just kidding, I don't know what is Blanc's sound).

Nov 9, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #39,647 of 87,762
tldr version here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...a-technologies.826606/page-1419#post-17231085

Also:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...a-technologies.826606/page-1414#post-17221415
https://bloomaudio.com/blogs/articles/64-audio-fourte-blanc-review

It's another Fourte reinvention with Noir style tuning (not brighter), updated ceramic coating on the outside of the shell, updated cable, and updated DD with better linear behavior resulting in lower distortion (according to 64)
It would be good. Because the humming of the bass is not what I expected to hear from IEMs for the price of the original Fourte.

Nov 9, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #39,648 of 87,762
In term of planar timbre, full size headphone is much much better. Nice review BTW.
From the point of view of a pure planar IEM, now there are only one planar IEM, listening to which it is not necessary to discount the fact that they are planar IEMs, the rest play even worse.
I am talking about CA SM.
But of course they cost quite a bit more than 50 bucks)

Nov 9, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #39,649 of 87,762
Victim of the hype train :see_no_evil:

1.jpg

Got the Turii Ti after waiting for quite some weeks. Sharing very early impressions.

First: These don't sound like they graph. Or to put it in other words, they are not as wonky as you would except, if at all. They sound quite balanced. They for sure have treble energy and upper mids, but they get balanced out tastefully by the mid bass. I was very worried about that mid bass, that elevates the graph into very high altitudes. But it's not boomy at all. It gives the sound a very natural timbre which also somehow remindes me of the Traillii. I would even say, it's the most natural timbre I heard in an IEM after the Traillii. Mids are forward but definitely in my tolerance range. Treble is extended and energetic, at times not the cleanest.

It's hard to describe, but it's a natural energetic listen and at the same time it sometimes feels laid back :upside_down:
It's also clear for me, that these excel in multiple genres. Although unlike the Traillii, I find tracks here and there that I don't like with the Turii Ti. Especially if the track demands a very clean and distinct treble presentation to sound good.

The bass is also nice. Again, different than the graph. I was expecting no subbass and boomy mid bass. But actually I have enough subbass. Mid bass doesn't make the sound boomy as written before. It has nice DD decay. It's surely not the fastest IEM out there. Detail retrieval is decent.

Overall I would also compare them to ZMF headphones. Not sound wise, but they are very natural, not the most detailled but definitely enough and at the same time they excel at long term listening without fatigue.

2.jpg

Nov 9, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #39,650 of 87,762

1.jpg

Got the Turii Ti after waiting for quite some weeks. Sharing very early impressions.

First: These don't sound like they graph. Or to put it in other words, they are not as wonky as you would except, if at all. They sound quite balanced. They for sure have treble energy and upper mids, but they get balanced out tastefully by the mid bass. I was very worried about that mid bass, that elevates the graph into very high altitudes. But it's not boomy at all. It gives the sound a very natural timbre which also somehow remindes me of the Traillii. I would even say, it's the most natural timbre I heard in an IEM after the Traillii. Mids are forward but definitely in my tolerance range. Treble is extended and energetic, at times not the cleanest.

It's hard to describe, but it's a natural energetic listen and at the same time it sometimes feels laid back :upside_down:
It's also clear for me, that these excel in multiple genres. Although unlike the Traillii, I find tracks here and there that I don't like with the Turii Ti. Especially if the track demands a very clean and distinct treble presentation to sound good.

The bass is also nice. Again, different than the graph. I was expecting no subbass and boomy mid bass. But actually I have enough subbass. Mid bass doesn't make the sound boomy as written before. It has nice DD decay. It's surely not the fastest IEM out there. Detail retrieval is decent.

Overall I would also compare them to ZMF headphones. Not sound wise, but they are very natural, not the most detailled but definitely enough and at the same time they excel at long term listening without fatigue.

2.jpg
The hype is real. I got to get me one of these.

Nov 9, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #39,651 of 87,762
Elysian treble at its best reminds me of one of those Tibetan mandala paintings where every minute part of it is rife with definition, detail and life.

Nov 9, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #39,652 of 87,762
Tia Forte were quite bright. V-shaped. This is the first.
Second, bright IEMs are 100% out of fashion now.

So I assume that Vitaly Bilonozhko just ran out of black and orange paint (just kidding, I don't know what is Blanc's sound).
I think I'll wait for the Fourte Rouge then, don't have too many 3Ks to throw around for every limited paint job, you see....

But bright IEMs are out of fashion, I think more like they are the fashion now? Viking, Annihilator, even stuff like Gaea are relatively brighter than previous staples like the Traillii or Jewel.

Nov 10, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #39,655 of 87,762
Very nice conclusion on the synergy, David, as many of the cables are truly great; just not in the configuration you used.

Or if you're a glutton for punishment check out the Cayin Fantasy.
I hope you ever have the chance to hear the Acoustune HS2000MX: Single DD (check!), gorgeous mids (check!), and too bright for me without being aggressive (check!) may mean it's fantastic for you.

drftr

Nov 10, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #39,656 of 87,762
But bright IEMs are out of fashion, I think more like they are the fashion now? Viking, Annihilator, even stuff like Gaea are relatively brighter than previous staples like the Traillii or Jewel.

Maybe really good treble is the final frontier of IEMs. It certainly seems the hardest branch of the FR to master.

In other news here’s a Headphone List Gaea review:

https://theheadphonelist.com/effect-audio-gaea-review-simply-stunning/

“One of our friends switched from THL to Effect Audio and we have been working on most of their recent products.”

Is he talking about the one and only Flink?

There is lots in that review I agree with very much.

Nov 10, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #39,657 of 87,762
Speaking only for yourself, of course. Noir has killed so many new totl sets its gone up against. It’s just a blood soaked armageddon of less capable iem corpses surrounding it.
Did a Fender Telecaster “hold up”? Lol.
Everything is subjective. IMHO, while I do like and appreciate the Fourte, it and Noir are not in the same class as Jewel, UM, Traillii to name a few.

Nov 10, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #39,658 of 87,762

1.jpg

2.jpg
Agreed. I like the sound of this but it is not detailed enough for me.

Nov 10, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #39,659 of 87,762
I own both Annihilator and Ragnar. As a treblehead IEM, Ragnar is much better IMHO. Anni is U-shaped and is much more of an all arounder. For treble dominant music, the bass elevation can get in the way of the treble. In addition, bass quality on Ragnar is much better than Anni. But, it is tuned to take a back seat to the treble. Anni treble is smoother. Ragnar treble has more bite and that is what I like about it.

My favorite DAP pairing for both is the Sony 1ZM2.
Agree 💯 on your insights on Ragnar… it is brill for vocals and instrumental for me, but the treble gets too enhanced without sufficient bass quantity for metal - that results in a less than satisfying session, when compared to LX, KK or Ody.

Nov 10, 2022 at 1:55 AM Post #39,660 of 87,762
Agree 💯 on your insights on Ragnar… it is brill for vocals and instrumental for me, but the treble gets too enhanced without sufficient bass quantity for metal - that results in a less than satisfying session, when compared to LX, KK or Ody.
Are you saying Ragnar has less bass than KK and Sultan while being brighter than both? That probably wouldn't cut it for me unless the mids are truly spectacular. Can't remember if you have had Sultan though. Tnx...

drftr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back