The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 16, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #38,191 of 88,386
85 votes now...aiming for 100 :D

https://forms.gle/Ju4mb29SfLt8xsbS9

Top 5

Traillii - 28
Jewel - 23
Xe6 - 21
Supermoon - 19
IER-Z1R - 15
a/u12t - 13
Indigo - 13
Odyssey - 12
Mentor - 10

Phönix - 9
EXT - 9
Odin - 9
Evo - 9
Kr5 - 8
Annihilator - 8
Mason FS - 6
Elysian X - 6
Kublai Khan - 6
Andromeda - 6
Turii Ti - 6
ie900 - 5
Ragnar - 5
Legend X - 4
LCDi4 - 4
Red Halo - 4
Fourte Noir - 3
Trifecta - 3
u18t - 3
KSE-1500 - 3
Elysium - 2
DC Ti - 2
ie600 - 2
Turii - 2
Xelento - 2
Erlkonig - 2
MESTii - 2
VE8 - 2
u/a18s - 2
Perpetua - 2
Szalayi - 2
e5000 - 2
EST50 - 2
Monarch II - 2

a3000
Ace
Advar
Atlas
Buds2Pro
Eden
Encore
Gaea
Humdolores
Isabellae
Mason3
Mezzo
Ne4
o400
Serratus
Sharona
Solaris
Storm
u6t
Volt
Wraith
Zen Pro
V16
FD5
Aurum
V14
Phantom
Phantom LTD
Sultan
Fibae 7
FW10000
Dorado 2020
FA9
Fourte
Diva
Twilight
N8
Ara
Vega 2020
Em5813
JVC FW1800
A8000
M4
RS10
FH9
MD4
Legend

Oct 16, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #38,192 of 88,386
Please suggest current TOTL iem which are sound great with metal music.
From my collection I probably would suggest the U12T and Turii Ti. I've heard the Kublai Khan is also very versatile with metal genres. Anyway, the most important is the synergy with all your gear.

Oct 16, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #38,193 of 88,386
stock cable on the UE TF10s may be the worst of all time. terrible fit, microphonic, stiff as anything - hoped it'd settle down on the pair I got off classifieds here but no dice. such a shame as I really like them otherwise, but I've been told they're worth the cable upgrade anyway so... we'll see.

Oct 16, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #38,194 of 88,386
Sorishop still exists as I was in contact with them a few months ago. They only do distribution nowadays.

drftr
Right. Actually sorishop also owns Scheherazade. Sorishop is the company name, and Scheherazade is the store name.
It's just that the shop also used to be sorishop before it moved, so it was a bit easier to write (and sounds better in korean i think) ^^
However the new location is a lot more accessible, and has a nicer interior.

As a side, I still remember when i first went to their old location, like 10 years ago.
The most expensive iems were the recently released akg k3003, costing over a $1000.
Everyone thought that the price was ludicrous. Little did I know then how expensive everything would become.
I miss the days when one did not have to sell both kidneys to appreciate high end gear.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #38,195 of 88,386
Fancy a little Britney? Maybe some Katy, Taylor, or Nickelback? Quick poll for Sunday...what is your "guilty pleasure"?

One of mine is Red Hot Chili Peppers, and I gotta say, I am really digging their new album, Return of the Dream Canteen (Tidal link in the album cover below). Enjoyed it a whole lot more than "Unlimited Love" released earlier this year.

1665940107366.png

Oct 16, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #38,196 of 88,386
Depending on what you're willing to spend I think the Kublai Khan would be a great candidate and a must listen regardless of price.

drftr
I want to compile a list of candidates first without being restricted by budget, as long people's suggested it I will include on the list. Kublai Khan noted.
Whats your budget?
I want to collect information first, so any suggestions of iems from every price bracket is welcomes, but I prefer current TOTL iems that already been released.
From my collection I probably would suggest the U12T and Turii Ti. I've heard the Kublai Khan is also very versatile with metal genres. Anyway, the most important is the synergy with all your gear.
I need iems with good isolation from what I've read Turii Ti isolation is not good. As for source I have with me DX320, DX300 MAX, and on the way is SP3000.

Oct 16, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #38,197 of 88,386
I'm getting a DX170 in the mail this week and the following passage from @rev92's DX170 review has me quite pumped:

Screen Shot 2022-10-16 at 10.28.54 AM.png

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #38,198 of 88,386
Turii and Kr5 are my one two metal punch. There is an entire thread that has options from members covering iems of all budgets. Good place to get additional ideas.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iem-for-metal-music-and-hard-rock-ultimate-solution.885104/

Most TOTL sets are too detailed in the wrong places and metal suffers on them. The drums will sound like cardboard or have a sharp bite to strikes that is unnatural since they are tuned to pull details out of vocals or highlight string texture in orchestras or something.
I need iems with good isolation from what I've read Turii Ti isolation is not good.
Turii does not isolate well, no. Up to you if you want something less great due to your isolation requirement. I am sound first always.

Oct 16, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #38,199 of 88,386
Fancy a little Britney? Maybe some Katy, Taylor, or Nickelback? Quick poll for Sunday...what is your "guilty pleasure"?

One of mine is Red Hot Chili Peppers, and I gotta say, I am really digging their new album, Return of the Dream Canteen (Tidal link in the album cover below). Enjoyed it a whole lot more than "Unlimited Love" released earlier this year.

1665940107366.png
Was listening to that last night, enjoyed it a lot more than the previous as well. Still think The Getaway trumps both though....

Oct 16, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #38,200 of 88,386

I don't know if it's truly guilty because I feel they are legitimately great musicians and this is legitimately great music:

If I had to pick a single track to encapsulate the world in my life & time this would be high in the running.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #38,201 of 88,386
Turii and Kr5 are my one two metal punch. There is an entire thread that has options from members covering iems of all budgets. Good place to get additional ideas.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iem-for-metal-music-and-hard-rock-ultimate-solution.885104/

Most TOTL sets are too detailed in the wrong places and metal suffers on them. The drums will sound like cardboard or have a sharp bite to strikes that is unnatural since they are tuned to pull details out of vocals or highlight string texture in orchestras or something.

Turii does not isolate well, no. Up to you if you want something less great due to your isolation requirement. I am sound first always.
What is you prefer more Turii (Ti or non Ti) or KR5? And thank you for the link, I don't even know such a thread exist, I think I will be right at home.

I need good isolation because I will use it to commute.

Oct 16, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #38,202 of 88,386
I want to compile a list of candidates first without being restricted by budget, as long people's suggested it I will include on the list. Kublai Khan noted.

I want to collect information first, so any suggestions of iems from every price bracket is welcomes, but I prefer current TOTL iems that already been released.

I need iems with good isolation from what I've read Turii Ti isolation is not good. As for source I have with me DX320, DX300 MAX, and on the way is SP3000.
Just go for Traillii if you don’t presume thar BA-only bass can’t deliver.
It would be a good all-rounder for everything else also.
Just be sure to grab a version with Venom or other more detailed cable than stock one.

Oct 16, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #38,203 of 88,386
What is you prefer more Turii (Ti or non Ti) or KR5?
I am still waiting for the Ti to arrive, so idk about the 2 Turii's yet. I'll post impressions comparing after I get it and it settles with me.
It's hard to pick between Turii and Kr5. Metal is too vast a landscape and covers too many years (50 years!) of recorded material.
But if forced today to choose, I'd pick Kr5, but I wont be happy about it. I also reserve the right to change my mind tomorrow.

Oct 16, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #38,204 of 88,386
Just go for Traillii if you don’t presume thar BA-only bass can’t deliver.
It would be a good all-rounder for everything else also.
Just be sure to grab a version with Venom or other more detailed cable than stock one.
Man this is what i am afraid of, Traillii is quite an investment for iems, but who knows.
I am still waiting for the Ti to arrive, so idk about the 2 Turii's yet. I'll post impressions comparing after I get it and it settles with me.
It's hard to pick between Turii and Kr5. Metal is too vast a landscape and covers too many years (50 years!) of recorded material.
But if forced today to choose, I'd pick Kr5, but I wont be happy about it. I also reserve the right to change my mind tomorrow.
Yes no worries.

Oct 16, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #38,205 of 88,386

Hard one have so many.
Club 8 probably the most like pure maple syrup. Primus the pungent cheese.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back