The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 16, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #38,206 of 88,379
Man this is what i am afraid of, Traillii is quite an investment for iems, but who knows.

Yes no worries.
Let me tell you the following thing while your wallet would probably cry when you read this - more than a year ago I bought a Traillii and at that time it was shipped only with stock specially tuned PWA 1960 cable.
Recently I bought Venom and man this is an upgrade.
Next thing I’ll buy would probably be Chiron 8-wire 😉

If I were you ai would just straightly go for it)

Oct 16, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #38,207 of 88,379
I'm getting a DX170 in the mail this week and the following passage from @rev92's DX170 review has me quite pumped:

Screen Shot 2022-10-16 at 10.28.54 AM.png
Haven’t heard the Supermoon yet, but I recently acquired the DX170 as an upgrade to the DX160. Although it is an upgrade in all aspects it still retains the somewhat bright (to me) sound of the DX160. As I’m using it solely during my subway commute I need a warmer & more relaxed sound as well as more low end energy to ease me into & out of my work day and the DX160/DX170 doesn’t quite cut it for me. I also don’t think you’d be satisfied with the bass. With that said though it may make for a good pairing with the Supermoon.

Oct 16, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #38,208 of 88,379
Haven’t heard the Supermoon yet, but I recently acquired the DX170 as an upgrade to the DX160. Although it is an upgrade in all aspects it still retains the somewhat bright (to me) sound of the DX160. As I’m using it solely during my subway commute I need a warmer & more relaxed sound as well as more low end energy to ease me into & out of my work day and the DX160/DX170 doesn’t quite cut it for me. I also don’t think you’d be satisfied with the bass. With that said though it may make for a good pairing with the Supermoon.

We'll see...if it exaggerates brightness it might not work with Supermoon.

Oct 16, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #38,209 of 88,379
I don't know if it's truly guilty because I feel they are legitimately great musicians and this is legitimately great music:

If I had to pick a single track to encapsulate the world in my life & time this would be high in the running.

Just went trough my artists list and here’s some of my guilty pleasure songs/albums.

Britney-Till The World Ends, do love the production value on that track.

Barry Manilow-Trying To Get The Feeling, one of the first albums I owned.

Doja Cat-Planet Her

Abba-Dancing Queen-The epitome of melodic melancholy.

Oct 16, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #38,210 of 88,379
Hello friends,

Spent this weekend with the Softears RSV and completed my long pending review for the same. The pair literally wow'ed me with its exceptional midrange presentation. Vocals are very very good, and it also packs a good punch for an all-BA set too(was not expecting this at all). Although it's not flawless, the resolution could be improved on it. Also the shells are big, so fit is either a hit or a miss.

Read my complete review here:-
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/softears-rsv.25045/reviews#review-29389

Some eye candy to give motivation to click on the above link hehe.
10.jpg

4.jpg

Oct 16, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #38,211 of 88,379
What qualifies as “guilty pleasure”??

Sorry, not directed to anyone per se, just the cultural idea of this phrase, which I hate. We’re audiophiles here, doesn’t mean we have to love everything, or that we can’t tease friends and their musical shout outs (all in good fun, hopefully), but the idea that anything anyone likes should be coupled with the cultural baggage of being worthy of “guilt” or not has always struck me as weird.

One of the best things about this hobby for me is because I’m investing so much into my gear, I’m listening to ALL kinds of artists and genres I NEVER would’ve considered before, including “guilty pleasures”.

I’ll get off my soapbox now. Go back to your regularly scheduled programming. 😎😎😎

Oct 16, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #38,212 of 88,379
What qualifies as “guilty pleasure”??

Unabashed regard for something that is perhaps a little unrefined, unsophisticated or indulgent maybe?

Oct 16, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #38,214 of 88,379
Unabashed regard for something that is perhaps a little unrefined, unsophisticated or indulgent maybe?
But still, no matter how unrefined or unsophisticated (judgement calls, to be sure), what makes any of it “guilty”?

All in on the unabashed love part, though.

Oct 16, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #38,215 of 88,379
Have you tried the HiBy R5 Gen 2 in Class A mode? I reckon that would be a good pairing. If budget is no constraint and you don't care about streaming, then the PAW6000 maybe?

Oct 16, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #38,216 of 88,379
Oct 16, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #38,217 of 88,379
But still, no matter how unrefined or unsophisticated (judgement calls, to be sure), what makes any of it “guilty”?

All in on the unabashed love part, though.

I think only objectivists fee guilt. I'm fundamentally a subjectivist with respect to this hobby and thus feel no guilt, only love :D

Oct 16, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #38,218 of 88,379
I am a big Sugar Ray fan. No kidding.

I like them too. I once bought an album of theirs primarily for the seductive picture of Nicole Eggert on the cover...it turned out to be a great album.

Oct 16, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #38,219 of 88,379
Fancy a little Britney? Maybe some Katy, Taylor, or Nickelback? Quick poll for Sunday...what is your "guilty pleasure"?

One of mine is Red Hot Chili Peppers, and I gotta say, I am really digging their new album, Return of the Dream Canteen (Tidal link in the album cover below). Enjoyed it a whole lot more than "Unlimited Love" released earlier this year.

1665940107366.png
Nice one. This is mine. Haven't listened to this album for years. Still get goosebumps every time I do.

images (2) (9).jpeg

Oct 16, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #38,220 of 88,379
Talking about the resolution, I just tried HE6SE V2 and P1 Max to listen to Yo-yo Ma and Kathryn Stott's The Swan (Saint-Saens), I could hear Yo-yo Ma's breathing without any problem since I already paid attentation to this detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back