The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 18, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #35,356 of 89,239
For anyone here at the Irvine Marriott for Canjam SoCal, I will have the full Empire Ears lineup including the new EMPIRE EARS X ASTELL&KERN ODYSSEY in the lobby starting around 9pm tonight, I'll probably be down there for a about an hour or two, just shoot me a pm if you need help finding me.

I'm back in Canada now but I'm pretty sure we met on Friday in the lounge-- was great meeting you!

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #35,357 of 89,239
I think that the Odyssey is more of a hint/ concept of things to come from EE than an actual addition to their lineup

The Odyssey is technically an addition to AK's lineup. (Was great meeting you today!)

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #35,358 of 89,239
I'm back in Canada now but I'm pretty sure we met on Friday in the lounge-- was great meeting you!
It was nice meeting you as well.

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #35,359 of 89,239
For some reason all EE IEMs are more tip dependent for me. I was demoing EVO, Odin, and Odyssey yesterday with the tips provided by EE or AK booth. I mentioned that I have to push the IEMs all the time to hear a proper bass. Today I brought my own tips and they made a day and night change: Odyssey indeed has THE best bass I have heard.

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #35,360 of 89,239
Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #35,361 of 89,239
I just bought a second hand pair from @SteffSergeant in the classifieds...lol

Between this and the Indigo. One of them will have to go...

Jebus you move fast…looking forward to your thoughts. And I hope I didn’t lead you astray lol

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #35,362 of 89,239
Jebus you move fast…looking forward to your thoughts. And I hope I didn’t lead you astray lol
Hah, Not many review's on them weirdly, but I did read @Scuba Devils review of them and they could be up my alley. It's ok, I'm looking forward to trying em out either way. I'll have to recoup funds once I have a good listen to both. I like 'all rounders' since my library is so diverse.

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #35,363 of 89,239
Hah, Not many review's on them weirdly, but I did read @Scuba Devils review of them and they could be up my alley. It's ok, I'm looking forward to trying em out either way. I'll have to recoup funds once I have a good listen to both. I like 'all rounders' since my library is so diverse.

There isn't a lot out there on them and @Scuba Devils was the one who put me onto them as well...but I was never particularly won over by the Jewel, which kind of kept the hype at bay for me (not that Jewel's not great I'm just not particularly interested in true reference IEMs...YMMV). I managed to try @morserotonin's set over breakfast yesterday and they blew me away-- great sound across the board and the bass is excellent. They're not a true technical or reference powerhouse like Jewel but hot damn they are fun to listen to with just about anything. The only downside is the cheap Kinder toy-like plastic Aroma makes all their shells from...it will be a bit jarring coming from the likes of Solaris and Indigo. But the sound rocks and that's what matters.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #35,364 of 89,239
There isn't a lot out there on them and @Scuba Devils was the one who put me onto them as well...but I was never particularly won over by the Jewel, which kind of kept the hype at bay for me (not that Jewel's not great I'm just not particularly interested in true reference IEMs...YMMV). I managed to try @morserotonin's set over breakfast yesterday and they blew me away-- great sound across the board and the bass is excellent. They're not a true technical or reference powerhouse like Jewel but hot damn they are fun to listen to with just about anything. The only downside is the cheap Kinder toy-like plastic Aroma makes all their shells from...it will be a bit jarring coming from the likes of Solaris and Indigo. But the sound rocks and that's what matters.
Looking forward to it! Welcome back BTW :)

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #35,365 of 89,239
Looking forward to it! Welcome back BTW :)

Good to be back...I feel like I've neglected this place lately. I hope to remedy that.

In other news @SteveK27 discovered a trending thread about the Watercooler in a major Korean audio discussion forum that regards our thread as a "Love Room" filled with "famous reviewers, such as @Damz87".

Lol...we're world wide.

1663561377834.png

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #35,366 of 89,239
Another IEM I forgot to mention is the Effect Audio/ Elysian collab Gaea. It’s a 1dd / 4 BA hybrid. It was sitting on Musicteck’s table and I picked it up in an idle moment when I had 5 minutes to kill almost as an afterthought. I never see this IEM promoted and I didn’t get a lot of time with it but I really enjoyed it.

I also just realized that I never got around to demoing any Jerry Harvey IEMs…beyond that for the first time in my life I’ve demoed pretty much everything on the market that interests me. Better enjoy this while it lasts.
@Rockwell75 3 pairs of the EA / Gaea will go on tour next week
1 to Canada actually
If interested let me know and sent me DM

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #35,367 of 89,239
Sep 19, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #35,369 of 89,239
Just my two cents on that, I think the Indigo's shells are still not the quality that I would like them to be at this price point. I already have some problems with them, they even lost some flakes of metal and there is a small notch between the faceplate and the metal cast around it now, that does not feel good. The Monarch MK II (or the IE600 for that matter) has better build quality I think.

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #35,370 of 89,239
If other members are interested to try the new Effect Audio x Elysian Acoustics Labs Gaea let me know
Shoot me a DM and I'll add you to the tour ... !

I only got to hear it at the end of the CanJam weekender. I found it to be a bit upper mid forward and bright. So, it was not my jam. Interestingly, I did not like the DIVA either and the 3 other people who I knew heard it also didn't like it.

I did get to hear the Annihilator with the new RS8 and it was better than anything I heard this weekend with this pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back