The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 19, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #35,386 of 90,221
1200$ throw in double helix cables

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #35,388 of 90,221
I've only recently waxed lyrical about Twilight, but it's time to do it again - and move it up a notch. I brought IE600 with me also on holidays and at best, I've listened maybe 20% of the time - repeatedly pulling them back out of my ears so as to get my fill of Twilight again. I'll save the more extensive details until I'm home later in the week and further gathered my thoughts, but I think for now a key differentiator to note is the more natural and organic sound from Twilight versus a more digital, pristine Sennheiser tuning - the former being unbelievably addictive with so much of my library, but not quite the all-rounder IE600 is.

Twilight definitely needs more attention, now officially playing with the big boys of my single DDs and probably the most musically engaging of any I've heard with specific genres. It has magical mids, with beautiful clarity and excellent balance above and below. I mentioned also in my last post how it has this fantastic sense of dispersion of sound across the expansive stage, incredibly captivating and alluring delivery.

I'm leaning towards chilled jazz, modern classical, ambient, vocals, indie etc more versus my more energetic electronic library at the moment but plan more extensive testing.

20220919_114042.jpg

Sep 19, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #35,389 of 90,221
Looking for my missing link last week I demoed 4 cables (Effect Audio Ares S + Eros S, and Eletech Fortitude + Socrates) and today I added 3 more (Brise Audio STR7-Ref + Asuha-Ref.2 + STR7-Rh2+) but I'm not there yet as most are still too lean to my liking. The Fortitude stood out in a positive way for being the most linear of the bunch (but having disappointing technicalities), the Socrates for its low end, top end, and general technicalities (but having too lean mids), and the Asuha-Ref.2 for its low end, mids, and general technicalities (but being too bright, and contrary to the 2 STR7 cables a terrible cable to handle).

I think for great sub $1,200-ish copper cables that would more or less mean only PlusSound (impossible to find here), HanSound, and PW Audio are on the table, am I right?

My question: Has anyone compared the Socrates with PW Audio 1960s 2-wire or the August Fun (which should only differ slightly in the bass) so I know more or less what to expect when translating to the U18t?

EDIT: Cross-posted on the PW Audio and Eletech threads.

drftr
liquid links venom is a great cable that may peak your interest :)

Sep 19, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #35,390 of 90,221
Apart from FitEar IEMs which I know are not as easily accessible to those outside of Asia, these are my top 3 IEMs this year - Jewel, Viking & Traillii. Honourable mentions: Supermoon, GT600
So I got many PMs if I have to pick 2 IEMs out of my top 3 other than FitEar, which will I choose? Jewel and Viking. Traillii although good but don't make the cut for my top 2.

P.S. I don't like any Noble IEMs since Katana & Encore but the Viking did it for me.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #35,391 of 90,221
The Multiverse Mentor. Aka Andrew from musicteck :D
Best comment! Now I know how to answer the question about why I gave that weird name to the new Mentor besides I watched way too many Sci-fi movies.

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Sep 19, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #35,392 of 90,221
À la recherche de mon chaînon manquant la semaine dernière, j'ai fait une démonstration de 4 câbles (Effect Audio Ares S + Eros S et Eletech Fortitude + Socrates) et aujourd'hui j'en ai ajouté 3 autres (Brise Audio STR7-Ref + Asuha-Ref.2 + STR7-Rh2+) mais Je n'en suis pas encore là car la plupart sont encore trop maigres à mon goût. Le Fortitude s'est démarqué de manière positive pour être le plus linéaire du groupe (mais avec des technicités décevantes), le Socrates pour son bas de gamme, son haut de gamme et ses technicités générales (mais avec des médiums trop maigres), et l'Asuha-Ref. 2 pour ses graves, ses médiums et ses technicités générales (mais étant trop brillant, et contrairement aux 2 câbles STR7 un câble terrible à manipuler).

Je pense que pour des câbles en cuivre de moins de 1 200 $, cela signifierait plus ou moins que PlusSound (impossible à trouver ici), HanSound et PW Audio sont sur la table, ai-je raison ?

Ma question : Quelqu'un a-t-il comparé le Socrates avec le PW Audio 1960s 2-wire ou le August Fun (qui ne devrait différer que légèrement dans les basses) pour que je sache plus ou moins à quoi m'attendre lors de la traduction vers le U18t ?

EDIT : posté sur les fils de discussion PW Audio et Eletech.

drftr
You should try the PS Tri-copper, 8 wires = I use it currently with my Aure Elexir, and it is just fu*kin' awesome. :deadhorse: :L3000::beerchug:

Same things with my late Kaiser Encore, and with my Ringo (which needs a new cable because of it's dear cousin... Elixir :beyersmile: )

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #35,393 of 90,221
Here’s an idea…once you decide what you’re keeping let’s do a trade for a week. You get my Supermoon and I get indigo or Thunder…I’d be happy to spend some QT with either. Indigo didn’t grab me in my brief time with it but that could have been show weariness as much as anything.
Deal!

Sep 19, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #35,394 of 90,221
J'ai donc reçu de nombreux MP si je dois choisir 2 IEM parmi mes 3 meilleurs autres que FitEar, lequel vais-je choisir ? Bijou et Viking. Traillii bien que bon mais ne rentre pas dans mon top 2.

PS Je n'aime aucun Noble IEM depuis Katana & Encore mais le Viking l'a fait pour moi.
Interesting, because it's the same.
With my Encore's = love story since 2017 ! :beerchug:

Ended a few days ago... by the Aure Elixir's, because too much uiem's and I have to choose. :rolling_eyes:

And I was need money to afford the Aune... :beyersmile:

Sep 19, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #35,395 of 90,221
Alright alright... I will head to Vietnam after South Korea and will probably head to the mountains first before heading South. That means we get to meet in the last week of November or so. Unless you're in for a workout in the NW...

drftr
Interesting travel pattern. Is there a reason why you went from Singapore to Korea back down to Vietnam? Why not visit all Southeast Asian countries then move north?

Sep 19, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #35,396 of 90,221
Interesting, because it's the same.
With my Encore's = love story since 2017 ! :beerchug:

Ended a few days ago... by the Aure Elixir's, because too much uiem's and I have to choose. :rolling_eyes:

And I was need money to afford the Aune... :beyersmile:
You need to try the Viking. It is simply sensational.

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #35,397 of 90,221
Here’s an idea…once you decide what you’re keeping let’s do a trade for a week. You get my Supermoon and I get indigo or Thunder…I’d be happy to spend some QT with either. Indigo didn’t grab me in my brief time with it but that could have been show weariness as much as anything.
The Indigo's did not impress me at first listen either but over the last week or so, they have opened up quite nicely. Their detail, resolution and sub bass is very good. At times, the upper regions are a little spicy for me but for the most part, they're breaking in nicely and I'll be able to share more in-depth thoughts on them. I'll aim for sometime this week.

Best comment! Now I know how to answer the question about why I gave that weird name to the new Mentor besides I watched way too many Sci-fi movies.

Marvel has done a number to us all (super hero / sci fi fatigue), but the one multiverse film that intrigues me (haven't seen yet) is Everything, everywhere, all at once starring Michelle Yeoh. I heard it was amazing.

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #35,398 of 90,221
Everything, everywhere, all at once starring Michelle Yeoh. I heard it was amazing.
It’s my favourite film of the year with Nope. My fiancee and I are difficult criers when it comes to movies, and we spent the entire 2nd-half absolutely weeping. I still do whenever I rewatch scenes or reactions to the movie on YouTube.

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #35,399 of 90,221
A big hat-tip to Can Jam travelers sharing their impressions. With a busy Quarter here at the day job I haven't had as much time to keep up with the latest audio drama......great to catch up on some of the latest/greatest. A lot of varied impressions on individual IEM's from experienced reviewers (thinking on the prior, recent Can Jam threads as well)......to me that's more a reflection of the overall quality level in the market + individual sonic preferences than anything "off" in someone's perspective. This is a pretty great time for headphone/IEM fans at any price point. One homie's ear gold is another's "pass"....nice to have so many options and approaches in the market!

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #35,400 of 90,221
liquid links venom is a great cable that may peak your interest :)
Impossible to demo in Asia!

You should try the PS Tri-copper, 8 wires = I use it currently with my Aure Elexir, and it is just fu*kin' awesome. :deadhorse: :L3000::beerchug:

Same things with my late Kaiser Encore, and with my Ringo (which needs a new cable because of it's dear cousin... Elixir :beyersmile: )
Yes the PlusSound TriCopper is high on my list and I have actually found a shop in Seoul who caries it!

Interesting travel pattern. Is there a reason why you went from Singapore to Korea back down to Vietnam? Why not visit all Southeast Asian countries then move north?
I only visited Singapore because I was on the way to Indonesia to Mexico and didn't want to wait any longer with my IEM shoot-out. And I'm glad I did as this made it possible to buy the U18t in Indonesia for a very good price.

But normally I visit countries when it's hiking season as I prefer hiking mountains and being in nature even over music. And since I do this on a permanent base I plan to be in places during dry season as around the equator even then I still get plenty of unplanned downpours. So Java in September, incredible Autumn hiking in South Korea in October/November, Vietnam later in November, and from there slowly to Turkey over land. And since the cheapest flights between Indonesia and South Korea are from Kuala Lumpur via Ho Chi Minh City I am currently in Malaysia. Saves a lot of money which I accidently know an excellent use for 😎

drftr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back