The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 1, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #33,886 of 87,674
So guys, which one would be your favorite among the following 3 - why and in which configuration?😉:
1. Fir Audio Xe6
2. Fir Audio Kr5
3. Noble Audio Kublai Khan

I was able to audition Fir IEMs with default filters installed and found out that for my preferences there was way too much bass which completely bloated the sound picture.
Kr5 was relaxing in a way that it was a bit dark but coherent. Xe6 had the sparkle which reminded me of Traillii and also more details.
KK was the best allrounder and provided the most interesting textured bass due to it huge BC driver probably but highs were piercing at times with it’s piezo driver.

Which one of those three would compliment Traillii best in your opinion?🙂
I would personally rank them in the order that you have listed them. But, it took me 3 auditions to finally like the XE6. It is a sound that requires some level of brain burn in because the overloaded lower mids can be overwhelming. What happens is that your mind adjusts to the sound and since it is highly resolving, your mind can hear through the warmth. It is not muddy or veiled due to the resolution. Then, it becomes a highly energetic listen.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #33,887 of 87,674
So guys, which one would be your favorite among the following 3 - why and in which configuration?😉:
1. Fir Audio Xe6
2. Fir Audio Kr5
3. Noble Audio Kublai Khan

I was able to audition Fir IEMs with default filters installed and found out that for my preferences there was way too much bass which completely bloated the sound picture.
Kr5 was relaxing in a way that it was a bit dark but coherent. Xe6 had the sparkle which reminded me of Traillii and also more details.
KK was the best allrounder and provided the most interesting textured bass due to it huge BC driver probably but highs were piercing at times with it’s piezo driver.

Which one of those three would compliment Traillii best in your opinion?🙂
I'm not familiar with any of these but I am familiar with their ATOM modules and how much you can change the sound with them. So you could either follow the Xe6 path and play with the modules to lower the sub bass level, or go with the Kr5 and add a bit more bass. If you take the last path then adding a great silver cable could open mids and treble just enough for you, although I'm not sure it could reach the (apparent) freshness of the Xe6. If following the Xe6 path and toning down bass the sound balance may become a little too lean as the modules do very little for mids and nothing for treble, while on a psychoacoustic level they certainly do. But that could be countered with a pure or gold plated copper cable. Just saying there's plenty of ways to fine tune the FiR (and 64 Audio) offerings. Though you can't turn a pig into a Bird...

drftr

Sep 1, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #33,888 of 87,674
I'm not familiar with any of these but I am familiar with their ATOM modules and how much you can change the sound with them. So you could either follow the Xe6 path and play with the modules to lower the sub bass level, or go with the Kr5 and add a bit more bass. If you take the last path then adding a great silver cable could open mids and treble just enough for you, although I'm not sure it could reach the (apparent) freshness of the Xe6. If following the Xe6 path and toning down bass the sound balance may become a little too lean as the modules do very little for mids and nothing for treble, while on a psychoacoustic level they certainly do. But that could be countered with a pure or gold plated copper cable. Just saying there's plenty of ways to fine tune the FiR (and 64 Audio) offerings. Though you can't turn a pig into a Bird...

drftr
Big difference is in the treble between the Kr5 and Xe6. Kr5 has more treble energy. Xe6 has Estats so it has a more ethereal treble on top of elevated and energetic bass.

Sep 1, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #33,889 of 87,674
What are you all loving the most about them?

For my tastes they give me a little bit everything at a very high level: great bass-- class leading sub-bass I want to say-- mids are forward and spacious, treble is clear and well extended. The sound is coherent, the timber is nice and overall the sound for me is very exciting and non-fatiguing. Kr5 is not the most technical IEM. Admittedly I've been spoiled by Supermoon but even then it doesn't take me long to adjust to Kr5 and once I do I never find it wanting technically. It's a hell of a lot of fun to listen to. The first time I heard them on my M8 I thought they were a bit too strident in the highs but the M9 fixed that right up for me. Relative to stuff I've heard before the Kr5 (and Xe6 for that matter) are a lot like two of my favorite Campfire IEMs. I've said many times that the Dorado 2020 is like a baby Xe6 and I have to say that the Kr5 reminds me of an OG Solaris with everything dialled up to 11. Like the Solaris the Kr5 even has a noted lack of upper mid presence.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #33,890 of 87,674
For my tastes they give me a little bit everything at a very high level: great bass-- class leading sub-bass I want to say-- mids are forward and spacious, treble is clear and well extended and it the overall sound for me is very exciting and non-fatiguing. Kr5 is not the most technical IEM. Admittedly I've been spoiled by Supermoon but even then it doesn't take me long to adjust to Kr5 and once I do I never find it wanting technically. It's a hell of a lot of fun to listen to. The first time I heard them on my M8 I thought they were a bit to strident in the highs but the M9 fixed that right up for me. Relative to stuff I've heard before the Kr5 (and Xe6 for that matter) are a lot like two of my favorite Campfire IEMs. I've said many times that the Dorado 2020 is like a baby Xe6 and I have to say that the Kr5 reminds me of an OG Solaris with everything dialled up to 11. Like the Solaris the Kr5 even has a noted lack of upper mid presence.
Really interested in getting your ranking of full sized headphones at CanJam Socal. I have an idea of what you might like, but your reaction to Super moon changes that perception. I think you are going to like Hifiman house sound.

Sep 1, 2022 at 12:57 AM Post #33,891 of 87,674
The Main => Eletech Victoria + Campfire Audio Supermoon
I hadn't noticed the Eletech Victoria before and wasn't even aware it existed. Did a quick search last night but it looks like you finally caught a unicorn! Are you aware of any write-ups about the cable? I'm just thinking that The Ugliest IEM In History (U18t) combined with a gold coloured ATOM module plus a blue Victoria could be the most revolting colour combination ever! 🤢

But yes, I might be seriously interested in the cable!

drftr

Sep 1, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #33,892 of 87,674
Really interested in getting your ranking of full sized headphones at CanJam Socal. I have an idea of what you might like, but your reaction to Super moon changes that perception. I think you are going to like Hifiman house sound.

The only planar headphone I've heard is the Stealth. I enjoyed it but it wasn't a substantial demo unfortunately. In terms of dynamics my favourite so far is the Verite C. I don't have a lot of full size experience so far though. Based on what you guys have said and my newfound love of planars the two full size cans I'm most interested in are the Susvara and the 1266. I don't think I'd choose one over they other-- they seem like they'd make a nice complimentary ying-yang pair for me.

Sep 1, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #33,893 of 87,674
I hadn't noticed the Eletech Victoria before and wasn't even aware it existed. Did a quick search last night but it looks like you finally caught a unicorn! Are you aware of any write-ups about the cable? I'm just thinking that The Ugliest IEM In History (U18t) combined with a gold coloured ATOM module plus a blue Victoria could be the most revolting colour combination ever! 🤢

But yes, I might be seriously interested in the cable!

drftr

My pleb ears can't discern much in terms of sonic differences between cables consistently over time so I don't spend a lot of time fussing over write-ups when I buy them as I buy based on looks. I thought the sky blue would nicely offset the drab grey of the IEM and I feel they work well together. Sounds great too. I have a connection at Lets Go Audio and they are willing to ship to Canada for me. I purchased my Eletech Tyrian, Victoria and the Supermoon from them.

44DA02A6-D8AE-43D7-9759-7AE98C5529DD.jpeg

Sep 1, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #33,894 of 87,674
The only planar headphone I've heard is the Stealth. I enjoyed it but it wasn't a substantial demo unfortunately. In terms of dynamics my favourite so far is the Verite C. I don't have a lot of full size experience so far though. Based on what you guys have said and my newfound love of planars the two full size cans I'm most interested in are the Susvara and the 1266. I don't think I'd choose one over they other-- they seem like they'd make a nice complimentary ying-yang pair for me.

I will have both with me. If you want, you can listen to them across different amps. Then, you can see just how much the rest of the chain impacts the sound of full sized headphones. I always pegged you as a ZMF headphone guy because you love mids and DD timbre. Now with Supermoon, I am thinking you may prefer planars.

Sep 1, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #33,895 of 87,674
I will have both with me. If you want, you can listen to them across different amps. Then, you can see just how much the rest of the chain impacts the sound of full sized headphones. I always pegged you as a ZMF headphone guy because you love mids and DD timbre. Now with Supermoon, I am thinking you may prefer planars.

I prefer planars in IEMs. I believe planar drivers are uniquely qualified to make the most of small spaces so I think they will eventually take over the IEM market-- or at least assert a healthy dominance. With full size the playing field is levelled a bit and I could see myself enjoying something like a Verite open just as much or close to a good planar.

Sep 1, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #33,896 of 87,674
@HiFiHawaii808 your name tags for Canjam are amaze-balls :). Love em!

Sep 1, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #33,897 of 87,674
Sep 1, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #33,898 of 87,674
Is it common for vendors to sell the actual items directly at CanJam? In my limited experience, you can either place an order with them or get a discount code to use online later. The latter is what 64 Audio was doing at CanJam NY, I believe.

Anyone know MusicTeck's policy?
When I was there in NYC2020, Focal had a large booth and were actively selling. ZMF had stuff for sale as well and I picked up a VC there.
+1. The more I listen to the KR5, the more I’m beginning to realize it might well be my favorite IEM at the momet.
Interesting to see that some love it and some hate it. Based on what I've read I think I'd love it.
Actually instant gratificaton won't give the best satisfaction, delayed one usually is the best and last much longer.
I should try that some time.. 😊
For my tastes they give me a little bit everything at a very high level: great bass-- class leading sub-bass I want to say-- mids are forward and spacious, treble is clear and well extended. The sound is coherent, the timber is nice and overall the sound for me is very exciting and non-fatiguing. Kr5 is not the most technical IEM. Admittedly I've been spoiled by Supermoon but even then it doesn't take me long to adjust to Kr5 and once I do I never find it wanting technically. It's a hell of a lot of fun to listen to. The first time I heard them on my M8 I thought they were a bit too strident in the highs but the M9 fixed that right up for me. Relative to stuff I've heard before the Kr5 (and Xe6 for that matter) are a lot like two of my favorite Campfire IEMs. I've said many times that the Dorado 2020 is like a baby Xe6 and I have to say that the Kr5 reminds me of an OG Solaris with everything dialled up to 11. Like the Solaris the Kr5 even has a noted lack of upper mid presence.
I can see the Dorado / Xe6 comparison. I sold the Xe6 after two weeks and the Dorado after two hours... 😜

Users who are viewing this thread

Back