The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 26, 2024 at 8:16 AM Post #87,661 of 88,495
I tend to like U-shaped IEMs with electronic (Anni, Z1R, Loki, etc.). Not only does the neutral midrange positioning give you a more convex, wrap-around-the-head stage, but it also provides the most contrast between the lows and highs. So, whenever the “hits” (as we call it in the band) come in, whether it’s the kick and snare, or the bass and synths, or thumps and crashes, they cut right through and hit hard. Obviously, you also need good dynamic range for that, so the greater an IEM’s end-to-end extension, the better.

The VX is probably the closest to what I’m describing of the IEMs you’ve listed, even though I find its dynamic range a wee bit limited. It’s constantly on the energetic side.
I can confirm what you are saying.. I tried some albums with my Prophile8 in neutral setting (almost flat).. great technicalities and all but absolutely lifeless with the Electronic albums that I tried..

Then I flipped both the Bass and Treble switches (more or less turning the PP8 into U-shaped) and BOOM! Suddenly everything just sprang to life! So much that I began searching my library for more Electronic music..

Now the last thing that felt slightly missing was subbass rumble, which I hope the Z1R can deliver when I test them later..

So much fun!!!

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #87,662 of 88,495
Long-awaited new arrival 😎

Attachments

• IMG_0093.jpeg
    IMG_0093.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Apr 26, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #87,664 of 88,495
Apr 26, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #87,665 of 88,495
IMG_9984.JPGIMG_9985.JPGIMG_9986.JPGIMG_9989.JPG

I finally received the much anticipated Melodic Artification Alter Ego demo last night thanks to MusicTeck. I reached out to them to audition this set after the very positive impressions I heard from friends who attended CanJam SG. All testing was done from the Mjolnir and iPhone dongle. These are fairly easy to drive so I am not noticing a drastic drop off in performance going from Mjolnir to the iPhone nor am I noticing a dramatic improvement outside of imaging and resolution as I go from the iPhone to the Mjolnir.

Unboxing and build quality is quite fantastic. It comes with a cable that reminds me of EA hardware that is fairly supple but not the softest I have used, regardless it does feel great. The IEM is incredibly light and feels really well put together. I've had no issues with comfort and the semi-open back nature makes these things sort of disappear in your ears. The switch is also really sturdy and takes quite a bit of force to toggle, so I can't imagine this would loosen up any time soon or accidentally be switched.

The tonality is essentially neutral with sub bass boost with the switch pushed forward towards your face, or you can pull it back towards your ears and the IEM shifts to a slightly punchier an warmer presentation with both toggles presenting a natural and smooth but well extended treble. I prefer the switch forward to give less coloring to the signature although I find both very usable.

My favorite aspect of the IEM is the bass response. The bass goes incredibly deep with great texturing and has a way of resolving even the lowest Hz without feeling like it's breaking a sweat. I wouldn't describe it as pillow-y, but the attack does feel slightly on the softer side while still maintaining good definition, I just wish it had a bit more kick or oomph down low but I feel the open nature of the IEM is also adding to this perception.

The mid range comes off as natural and fairly neutral with a lovely analogue presentation to it. There's a realistic sense of weight throughout that gives male vocals the body they need and female vocals are more rounded-off and smoother playback that isn't lacking in clarity. The "BA timbre" to my ears isn't noticeable and overall it sounds very pleasant, perhaps lacking in a bit of excitement if anything.

Treble on this IEM is a double-edged sword for me. It's very well tuned and rather inoffensive with a smoother and fatigue-free playback but I wish it had a bit more bite or edge to it as I can't help but hear it lacking slightly in dynamics and slightly struggling a tad on more complex electronic music. However the tuning fits the overall IEM tonality very well and sounds cohesive to the bass and mid range, so I'd say this is a preference thing.

The soundstage feels open but not quite large to my ears which caught me by surprise as I was expecting something really out of head. There's a good sense of imaging focusing a bit more on depth than width, but if you're looking for that type of "arena" presentation where you get the feeling you can rotate your head and look around at the stage, this isn't like that. It feels more organized and focused which is something I tend to prefer as time passes.

Dynamics are fairly decent and not coming off as compressed but if you're looking for those more aggressive swings and really lively sound the Alter Ego doesn't quite go in that direction.

As mentioned in @twister6 review this IEM does have one-way sound leakage. Isolation is great but if you remove them and set them on your desk you will notice more leakage compared to an IEM that isn't using the same open back faceplate. Even though I am a quiet listener I do think this would be an issue for me personally as I prefer to be entirely trapped in my own world and I don't want others hearing what I am listening to. So I'd consider that before taking these in public.

I'm really enjoying this set. This may be a bold claim but the Alter Ego gives me Traillii vibes in how it's presenting music. When you push play on this set it doesn't really do anything to try win your attention, nor do I feel it's got any party tricks. It just feels like really solid, effortless, and musical playback that is hard to not enjoy unless you're flat out wanting something with more flavor or spice. I do not think I will buy this set myself as I tend to look for IEMs that are more lively but regardless I have a really high appreciation for this. With all things considered here for $2500 you're getting a pretty impressive package.

:beerchug:
How dare you make me want this IEM that I cannot afford even more!!

Awesome write up man.

Apr 26, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #87,667 of 88,495
IMG_9984.JPGIMG_9985.JPGIMG_9986.JPGIMG_9989.JPG

I finally received the much anticipated Melodic Artification Alter Ego demo last night thanks to MusicTeck. I reached out to them to audition this set after the very positive impressions I heard from friends who attended CanJam SG. All testing was done from the Mjolnir and iPhone dongle. These are fairly easy to drive so I am not noticing a drastic drop off in performance going from Mjolnir to the iPhone nor am I noticing a dramatic improvement outside of imaging and resolution as I go from the iPhone to the Mjolnir.

Unboxing and build quality is quite fantastic. It comes with a cable that reminds me of EA hardware that is fairly supple but not the softest I have used, regardless it does feel great. The IEM is incredibly light and feels really well put together. I've had no issues with comfort and the semi-open back nature makes these things sort of disappear in your ears. The switch is also really sturdy and takes quite a bit of force to toggle, so I can't imagine this would loosen up any time soon or accidentally be switched.

The tonality is essentially neutral with sub bass boost with the switch pushed forward towards your face, or you can pull it back towards your ears and the IEM shifts to a slightly punchier an warmer presentation with both toggles presenting a natural and smooth but well extended treble. I prefer the switch forward to give less coloring to the signature although I find both very usable.

My favorite aspect of the IEM is the bass response. The bass goes incredibly deep with great texturing and has a way of resolving even the lowest Hz without feeling like it's breaking a sweat. I wouldn't describe it as pillow-y, but the attack does feel slightly on the softer side while still maintaining good definition, I just wish it had a bit more kick or oomph down low but I feel the open nature of the IEM is also adding to this perception.

The mid range comes off as natural and fairly neutral with a lovely analogue presentation to it. There's a realistic sense of weight throughout that gives male vocals the body they need and female vocals are more rounded-off and smoother playback that isn't lacking in clarity. The "BA timbre" to my ears isn't noticeable and overall it sounds very pleasant, perhaps lacking in a bit of excitement if anything.

Treble on this IEM is a double-edged sword for me. It's very well tuned and rather inoffensive with a smoother and fatigue-free playback but I wish it had a bit more bite or edge to it as I can't help but hear it lacking slightly in dynamics and slightly struggling a tad on more complex electronic music. However the tuning fits the overall IEM tonality very well and sounds cohesive to the bass and mid range, so I'd say this is a preference thing.

The soundstage feels open but not quite large to my ears which caught me by surprise as I was expecting something really out of head. There's a good sense of imaging focusing a bit more on depth than width, but if you're looking for that type of "arena" presentation where you get the feeling you can rotate your head and look around at the stage, this isn't like that. It feels more organized and focused which is something I tend to prefer as time passes.

Dynamics are fairly decent and not coming off as compressed but if you're looking for those more aggressive swings and really lively sound the Alter Ego doesn't quite go in that direction.

As mentioned in @twister6 review this IEM does have one-way sound leakage. Isolation is great but if you remove them and set them on your desk you will notice more leakage compared to an IEM that isn't using the same open back faceplate. Even though I am a quiet listener I do think this would be an issue for me personally as I prefer to be entirely trapped in my own world and I don't want others hearing what I am listening to. So I'd consider that before taking these in public.

I'm really enjoying this set. This may be a bold claim but the Alter Ego gives me Traillii vibes in how it's presenting music. When you push play on this set it doesn't really do anything to try win your attention, nor do I feel it's got any party tricks. It just feels like really solid, effortless, and musical playback that is hard to not enjoy unless you're flat out wanting something with more flavor or spice. I do not think I will buy this set myself as I tend to look for IEMs that are more lively but regardless I have a really high appreciation for this. With all things considered here for $2500 you're getting a pretty impressive package.

With the Thanos and BA Cyclone 8-wire cables, the stage opens up noticeably, but neither cable are exactly a solution to the very smooth and understated treble presentation. I’m still trying to figure that out and I suspect that something silver is the way to go.

Apr 26, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #87,668 of 88,495
Apr 26, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #87,670 of 88,495

Excellent write up and more eloquent than I could have ever done.

I agree 💯

Alter ego is a competent IEM with a titanium shell and externally very good build quality. The stock cable and final tips have that slightly soft, musical timbre that I associate with Trailii so I get the analogy. Cable or tip roll and that magic did disappear somewhat.

Apr 26, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #87,671 of 88,495
With the Thanos and BA Cyclone 8-wire cables, the stage opens up noticeably, but neither cable are exactly a solution to the very smooth and understated treble presentation. I’m still trying to figure that out and I suspect that something silver is the way to go.

I tried the Symphony on it and I did feel it added to the perception of resolution and imaging. Notes felt cleaner and more precise in their positioning, but it also made the timbre even more “analogue” for me which I personally felt the slightly more “grainy” sound of the stock cable worked better to my preferences in this case. I think the stock cable overall is quite good other than the fact it looks and feels a tad plasticky.

I thought it was a set that was priced incredibly fair. If it’s what I was looking to add at this time I wouldn’t have had any issues spending $2500 on it.

Apr 26, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #87,672 of 88,495
I tried the Symphony on it and I did feel it added to the perception of resolution and imaging. Notes felt cleaner and more precise in their positioning, but it also made the timbre even more “analogue” for me which I personally felt the slightly more “grainy” sound of the stock cable worked better to my preferences in this case. I think the stock cable overall is quite good other than the fact it looks and feels a tad plasticky.

I thought it was a set that was priced incredibly fair. If it’s what I was looking to add at this time I wouldn’t have had any issues spending $2500 on it.
I wouldn't have had any issues for you to spend $2,500 on it as well :).

Apr 26, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #87,673 of 88,495

You are correct, Silver/Silver Alloy Cable is the way to go for the Alter Ego. When we tried AE during SG Canjam, we cable rolled it with @Crazeee's friend Silver Cable, SGAudio Hive Ulan 8w (pure silver), MA's Silver alloy cable, they all opened up the sound, giving more resolution, more details and texture, cleaner sound, clarity, also treble is a bit more livelier and keeps the vocal smooth. Bass gets a very nice rumble, air, texture, and decay. Give it a try with any decent silver cable if you have the chance. I prefer Silver cable with AE, the stock cable feels a bit muddy in comparison.

Apr 26, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #87,674 of 88,495
Thanks to the Watercooler tour I got to demo my first CFA iem, the Bonneville. For those interested, my review can be found here and on my blog.
1000019903.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back