The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 25, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #87,631 of 88,408
Ok as Oriolus seem to raise their price for Traillii in Japan to 7.2k USD$ I’m ready to sell mine used just for the old price of 6.5k USD$.
Cash only via courier pigeon.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #87,633 of 88,408
My cock eyed preferences
Tuning
Bass 40%
Mids 35%
Treble 25%

TECHNICALS
PRaT 15%
TIMBRE 40%
DYNAMICS 25%
Imaging/Depth/Soundstage/Background 20%

Apr 25, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #87,634 of 88,408
Would you buy the Mentor Multiverse or the Annihilator 2023 for around the same price? I auditioned both and preferred the Anni (better dynamics, treble, better bass and general more exiting listening experience). The MM hat had better soundstage and imaging and I really like the 3d like bone conductor effects..
Mentor no contest, that monitor produces the largest most holographc images I've ever experienced in this hobby, the BCD in that is legit and I suspect it's responsible for that effect. The Anni had a good tuning but there are tons of monitors with good tunings, to my ears it was also dry lacking note weight everywhere except treble. It didn't have the thick but highly resolved sound I like in top shelf monitors, to me it was a one trick treble pony. And even then, the DIO is around the corner so why not wait to hear that as well before you decide since you like their tunings?

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #87,635 of 88,408
Would you buy the Mentor Multiverse or the Annihilator 2023 for around the same price? I auditioned both and preferred the Anni (better dynamics, treble, better bass and general more exiting listening experience). The MM hat had better soundstage and imaging and I really like the 3d like bone conductor effects..
To me, Mentor sounds really boring. I prefer Anni 23 by a lot.

Apr 25, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #87,636 of 88,408
The Annihilator gets 10-20 times more listening time than the Mentor. Just a rough estimation 😊

Apr 25, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #87,637 of 88,408
Todd - I love all your work, the above being my personal favorite! 😍
I am curious, how big is it? Nothing next to it for scale, hard to tell if that is palm-sized or 6 foot tall...
Anyhow, this piece is so interesting - I literally sat and stared at it for 5 minutes, and kept discovering new details!

Apr 25, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #87,638 of 88,408
Simphonio P Zero

IMG_0202.jpeg

Hey Friends :) Hope everyone is amazing and having a great week. As promised here are some impressions of the Awesome P Zero by Simphonio.

I recently was afforded the opportunity to demo the Simphonio P Zero single Planar driver iem. This is a set I have been interested in since @Junmoe62 and @Crazeee talked about them on the threads. Below are my observations over a handful of days using Cayin N30LE, LP P6pro Ti99, and Sony WM1Z. I used the stock cable for all demo testing.

I have been a big fan of Simphonio for a while as I am an earbud user and Simphonio makes some really wonderful and totl buds. So I was very much eager to hear this almost $5k set of iems from them. They are first of all quite beautiful to look at. Stock cable works great with the tuning and all testing was done stock, however at the retail of $4,899 I think a better cable should be supplied, ymmv. The fit is superb! Very comfortable and feels premium in the hand. The unboxing experience was totl but could use a little work in the execution. It was a little on the cheap side, athough it looked luxurious it was not well executed with quality of materials used.

P Zero or P0 is a Single planar with a truly balanced tuning across the board. Very much a W tuning with vocals being the focus if I were forced to pick a frequency it highlights. Although bass is nice and punchy with good body, rounded attack and fast decay. Nimble and quick bass definition with great presence when called for. This is a dramatic bass but not the most defined sub bass whilst the Mid bass is beautifully articulated and felt.

IMG_0199.jpeg

Overall, the transients on Pzero are on the more laid back side with more pillow like attack, while having a nice body and smoothness to the notes. Mid notes have a nice reverb which gives the mids a spacious feeling. This is the feeling of being at a small venue, standing in the middle of the show floor. The singer is seemingly singing just to you, while the music ebbs and flows all around you. Which is to say, great imaging and separation. Timbre and tonality tip toe the line of sounding realistic to me. It is almost there but not quite for my personal taste although this is a very minor nitpick as it’s still quite good here for a small planar in ear monitor. Notes are warmish but neither thin nor bright, it’s clear and engaging with Great Analog tone however lacking the very last bit of accurate timbre. The background is very dark and allows for great layering and notes to pop out with ease.

I have not seen a graph but the P0 sounds to me to have a small mid bass boost, slightly pulled down lower mids with more presence in the upper mids while the lower treble sounds nicely smooth and linear the upper treble is slightly rolled off or coming in lower than the upper mids. There is more air in the upper mid range versus the treble. The treble is smooth and nicely textured. I dont hear any peakiness which is a huge plus for me. It is a very easy listening monitor with fairly good Dynamic swings. A set that literally makes me get lost in the enjoyment of listening instead of overly analyzing it for technical ability, etc.

IMG_0192.jpeg

Transient Dymanics are not exceptionally 3D/Holographic but it’s not unexceptionally flat either. It’s somewhere in between having really amazing PRaT. Staging is average height, width and depth. While imaging is totl and resolution is best from the mid bass across through the mid range. P0 has some noticeable limitations in the sub bass lacking depth and articulation. While the upper mids edge on being a bit too much but never crossing over. Micro dynamics are subtle, meaning they are there but one really needs to listen for them while macro dynamics really pop and present powerfully. P0 excels with power. It will take as much as you can feed and the sound opens up further. P Zero is a very coherent monitor and incredibly enjoyable which seems to be the reoccurring theme in this short review.

I completely enjoyed my time with the P Zero and its a tremendous achievement by Simphonio with the tuning they achieved here with a single Planar driver. A true all rounder IMO. The cost of entry here is a bit hard to swallow but its def playing in the same arena as other Flagship Totl/Summit iems which cost around the same or more than P0. YMMV

Have a Great Weekend Everyone :peace:

Attachments

• IMG_0200.jpeg
    IMG_0200.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #87,639 of 88,408
Todd - I love all your work, the above being my personal favorite! 😍
I am curious, how big is it? Nothing next to it for scale, hard to tell if that is palm-sized or 6 foot tall...
Anyhow, this piece is so interesting - I literally sat and stared at it for 5 minutes, and kept discovering new details!
11 5/8” x 16”
Glad you got something good from looking at it.
That one has lots of space.

Apr 25, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #87,640 of 88,408
Just finished writing my Annihilator review (coming soon), and while I don't compare it to Mentor in the review, to me it's not even a close call. Annihilator 23 >>> Mentor, and that's coming from someone who finds Annihilator borderline uncomfortable with too much (albeit world-class) treble.

Apr 25, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #87,641 of 88,408
For anyone who does't know:

Love the movie, but that dubbing is terrible! lol

I need to watch this again! Actually, every time I see your profile pic it reminds me that I need to. So, so good.

Apr 25, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #87,642 of 88,408
Seeing all these esoteric music selections while winding down to Volbeat 🤘 old Rockers don't die they just beat their eardrums to death.

Apr 25, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #87,643 of 88,408
Apr 25, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #87,644 of 88,408
Nice review, thanks. May I ask what the gold colored device is at the bottom in the first photo?
It’s Venture Electronics Defiant amp in Gold which to say it’s pure solid copper. It weighs quite a bit and is my favorite amp I’ve used thus far in the hobby. It powers my hard to drive earbuds which is what it was mainly made for. But it sounds stellar; dynamic, punchy, warm with immense head room. With all the iems I have tried there is zero noise and a pitch black background.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back