The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 3, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #31,081 of 90,085
Different from all the high-end postings that you guys are showing here. Here's me enjoying some good music on the LETSHUOER D13, a simple DD that doesn't break the pocket and sounds musical. Is my thumb too thick or is the shell too compact? Honestly feeling like giant holding these hehe.
d13 2.jpeg

Aug 3, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #31,082 of 90,085
Thanks for the review, I am looking for a replacement of my DX160. Since I will use it outdoors, wifi or even bluetooth is not issue for me.
I'm guessing your budget is under $500? IMO both HiBy R5 Gen 2 and iBasso DX170 are good contenders in that price range. R5ii does have the faster processor and UI but DX170 has the better screen and feels better in the hand. Can't comment on which sounds better at the moment because I'm yet to do A/B sound comparison tests between 'em. I'll be doing that for my long overdue R5ii review, which I will be publishing this week hopefully. 🤞🏼

Aug 3, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #31,083 of 90,085
I'm guessing your budget is under $500? IMO both HiBy R5 Gen 2 and iBasso DX170 are good contenders in that price range. R5ii does have the faster processor and UI but DX170 has the better screen and feels better in the hand. Can't comment on which sounds better at the moment because I'm yet to do A/B sound comparison tests between 'em. I'll be doing that for my long overdue R5ii review, which I will be publishing this week hopefully. 🤞🏼
Thanks for the suggestion. I have more flexible budget but I do have a very special (maybe unique here) use of this DAP: I spent two hours jogging every day, and I will bring the DAP with me. I know it is crazy for most people, but that's a huge chunk of my music time and I just don't want to go TWS with lower SQ.

From the thread of R5 Gen2, there are some comments that SQ is not as good as DX160, at least at the ECO mode. Even at class A mode, it is at best on par with DX160. Hopefully I will have better ideal from your review.

Beside DX170, I am also considering Hiby RS2, which will be releasing soon. I never have any experience of R2R, and therefore very interested in it.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #31,084 of 90,085
Aug 3, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #31,085 of 90,085
Aug 3, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #31,086 of 90,085
lol....

My Atrium is in Australia...I will meet him next week. :p

but @HiFiHawaii808 also have the same combo RS6+C9+Atrium.
What pads did you get?

I have the stock leather Universe perforated, the Auteur hybrid and the BE2 Suede pads. I have been just listening to the stock pads since I got them. Just started pad rolling today. Listening currently with the BE2 pads. Relative to the stock Universe leather pads, the BE2 has a more initimate and warmer presentation. The leather pads show off the sound stage.

Aug 3, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #31,087 of 90,085
Aug 3, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #31,088 of 90,085
Thanks for the suggestion. I have more flexible budget but I do have a very special (maybe unique here) use of this DAP: I spent two hours jogging every day, and I will bring the DAP with me. I know it is crazy for most people, but that's a huge chunk of my music time and I just don't want to go TWS with lower SQ.

From the thread of R5 Gen2, there are some comments that SQ is not as good as DX160, at least at the ECO mode. Even at class A mode, it is at best on par with DX160. Hopefully I will have better ideal from your review.

Beside DX170, I am also considering Hiby RS2, which will be releasing soon. I never have any experience of R2R, and therefore very interested in it.
I recently sold my HiBy R5 Gen 2, if you have any questions or queries related to it I would be happy to help you out.

Aug 3, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #31,090 of 90,085
Well was time for a new cellphone
Priority was a 3.5mm output
I have my DAP's but nevertheless
First Sony so let's see what audio brings
Screen, video and picture quality will be of the best I suppose on the Xperia Pro-I ... 🤔
Makes we can we post some better images here !

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #31,091 of 90,085
What pads did you get?

I have the stock leather Universe perforated, the Auteur hybrid and the BE2 Suede pads. I have been just listening to the stock pads since I got them. Just started pad rolling today. Listening currently with the BE2 pads. Relative to the stock Universe leather pads, the BE2 has a more initimate and warmer presentation. The leather pads show off the sound stage.
Don't remember exactly...I think it was Atrium Stock and Suede perforated.
My default settings are Line in, High gain, tubes, class A.
Tubes and Class A for LX bring too much attention to the lower portion of the FR. It worked with the Layla, though.

Aug 3, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #31,092 of 90,085
I recently sold my HiBy R5 Gen 2, if you have any questions or queries related to it I would be happy to help you out.
Thanks. I was considering a DAP with form factor similar or smaller than DX160, but with better sound quality. From my reading in that thread, it seems R5 Gen 2 may not have better SQ even in class A mode than DX160. otherwise, the battery life is very attractive on ECO mode.

Aug 3, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #31,093 of 90,085
@HiFiHawaii808 and @CrocodileDundee if you haven't yet, I do think trying out the C9 in pre mode is well worth it. Not sure it benefits everything universally but I did find it awesome with the IEMs and headphones I threw at it.
Trying it now...definitely more balanced and wider sound, less warm with LX. I need to try more, but resolution is sounding a bit strange.

Aug 3, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #31,094 of 90,085
Thanks. I was considering a DAP with form factor similar or smaller than DX160, but with better sound quality. From my reading in that thread, it seems R5 Gen 2 may not have better SQ even in class A mode than DX160. otherwise, the battery life is very attractive on ECO mode.
I would agree with these thoughts. Although R5 Gen 2 sounds pretty good, it misses the musical factor of the DX160(was a previous owner). Class A amp mode sounds good but not to the extent for that huge toll on the battery backup. I personally had no issues as such with the R5 Gen 2 apart from it sounding a little lean with most of my IEMs.

Aug 3, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #31,095 of 90,085
Well was time for a new cellphone
Priority was a 3.5mm output
I have my DAP's but nevertheless
First Sony so let's see what audio brings
Screen, video and picture quality will be of the best I suppose on the Xperia Pro-I ... 🤔
Makes we can we post some better images here !

So, you just bought a camera with cellphone function? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back